• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Otomen 1-3
A shojo series about a guy who tries hard to hide his girly side falling in love with a manly kind of girl. It's pretty entertaining, though I don't think liking cooking, sewing, and cute things make you that girly? The girl is pretty dense when it comes to his romantic feelings, but she's nice outside of that.

No Game No Life v1 ch2 (LN)

I think its done setting the stage and finally going to actual games with this final gambling day match. Steph ought to be the one playing if she truly wants to redeem her family, but Im glad Sora will try to get King, try to make a name for himself in this world and leave his NEETness stuff behind.

kasane

Otomen 1-3
A shojo series about a guy who tries hard to hide his girly side falling in love with a manly kind of girl. It's pretty entertaining, though I don't think liking cooking, sewing, and cute things make you that girly? The girl is pretty dense when it comes to his romantic feelings, but she's nice outside of that.

I thought they got together on 1.2. Figures they didnt lol

Akito

GTO
Eh, the Mayu arc felt too much like a rehash of the Urumi arc. Onizuka taking on a hundred dudes with arm wrestling was ridiculous even for this series' standard. I hope that's the last genius who we'd never seen but has been always a member of class 4.

Riptwo

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but does anyone have info on a shop that's still selling the Tokyopop release of Blame? Paying $70+ per volume on eBay sounds like a bad time.

Tripon

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but does anyone have info on a shop that's still selling the Tokyopop release of Blame? Paying $70+ per volume on eBay sounds like a bad time.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/comics-toons-and-toys-tustin But they likely won't ship to you, since they're an indepedent shop, but they should have most if not all of Blame. I remember seeing a couple of volumes of Blame and Biomega last time I checked.

Magi

I want to know more about that white blob god. I guess when one curses his fate and there is a lot of dark magicians around the god will be corrupted and become black rukh.

Magi 215

"If I tell you, I'm sure we won't make the same mistakes."

13928321523.gif

My thoughts exactly lol.

scy

@Nana to Kaoru: While I think I agree that their relationship seems so weird considering the extent of the breathers, I also think that Arashi's recent arc with the typhoon and all kind of goes to address basically everything about the awkwardness between them.

Otomen 1-3

The worst part of Otomen is how it shoehorns in all the "lol so girly and it's bad" characters for some big "moral" moment of being a girly guy is k. Like, it's kind of insulting to it's own message after a point.

scy

So I'm reading Nisekoi.

Wondering why the consensus seems to prefer Onodera, aka worst girl.

Granted I'm only 3 girls in (seems like there's 4?), but... Yeah.

Japan is a strange place.

It's really just more a case of some people being REALLY big fans of them. I think taking out the people sending in like 1000 votes themselves, Chitoge is technically the fan favorite?

kasane

Japan is a strange place.

It's really just more a case of some people being REALLY big fans of them. I think taking out the people sending in like 1000 votes themselves, Chitoge is technically the fan favorite?
I think chitoge is the best girl, i think. On the other side we have the superior younger onodera.

But i think chitoges mum is the best.

scy

I think chitoge is the best girl, i think. On the other side we have the superior younger onodera.

But i think chitoges mum is the best.

All the parents are awesome but Hana is the best.

I haven't read the manga yet, but am watching the anime. I can confirm that Onodera is best girl.

There's still hope for you yet.

To be fair, Onodera starts strong. Once more people get introduced she never really gets better while everyone else develops some.

IHaveIce

Banned
I haven't read the manga yet, but am watching the anime. I can confirm that Onodera is best girl.
You already stated your opinion is irrelevant by watching an anime over the manga.

I kid

Though everyone who likes Onodera is a terrible person
no kidding.

Also Nisekoi is horrible in general, such a generic japanese romcom without developement and all characters don't feel like any real tennager.

scy

Girl the Wild's 126 - ACTUAL FIGHTING. IT'S STILL HAPPENING.

...well, it was. Now she's probably just going to murder the guys taking her brother. RIP random thugs.

kasane

You r impure
You r watching animu
Wat is wrong with u

Girl the Wild's 126 - ACTUAL FIGHTING. IT'S STILL HAPPENING.

...well, it was. Now she's probably just going to murder the guys taking her brother. RIP random thugs.

I want to see more development on the romance side since queen ran away

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, so I was hoping to get a few quick recommendations and questions answered.

• Is there a good site or application or something for tracking what you've read?
  • The first series I read through was Chobits. I loved it. What sort of manga would you suggest to someone who enjoyed that style?
  • I'm not really into battle or action manga as much as I am "slice of life" or even casual fun romance cute stuff. Any suggestions along that? I have a bunch of Hikaru no Go because I read that in a SJ years and years ago. I hear the ending is terrible, but the story and everything else is great.
  • But that said, I actually enjoyed the first 20 or so volumes of DBZ that I had growing up. What genre would DBZ fall into? I liked the mix of humor, story/character development, and action.

I imagine this list of questions sounds really childish, but we all start somewhere. I'm trying to springboard off of what I know I liked in order to broaden my horizons. I just picked up Madoka Magica and hope that will be fun read, but I'm looking for other suggestions!

Akito

Original Onodera is about as interesting as a wet sock, even imouto Onodera has become more compelling despite having started out as one of the most annoying characters ever.

xxxHOLiC Rei 27

Didn't expect them to return back to the coin trading mystery.

Oh well, I did expect them to drop this whole where in the hell does this story fit in the timeline mystery again though.

survivor

Banned
OK, so I was hoping to get a few quick recommendations and questions answered.
Is there a good site or application or something for tracking what you've read?
Myanimelist or Mangaupdates are good sites to track what you read. The former is better if you also watch a lot of anime

I'm not really into battle or action manga as much as I am "slice of life" or even casual fun romance cute stuff. Any suggestions along that? I have a bunch of Hikaru no Go because I read that in a SJ years and years ago. I hear the ending is terrible, but the story and everything else is great.
I guess you want stuff in print only or you fine reading online?

Anyway some slice of life/romance titles

Solanin
A Bride's Story
Flowers of Evil
Sunny
Yotsuba
Paradise Kiss

But that said, I actually enjoyed the first 20 or so volumes of DBZ that I had growing up. What genre would DBZ fall into? I liked the mix of humor, story/character development, and action.
It falls under battle shounen. You probably will like stuff like One Piece, FMA, or Hunter x Hunter if you enjoyed DBZ.

kasane

Yes hikaru no gos ending is terrible, not sure if it got axed but i remember there was something going on.

As for tracking manga i only know mal.

Ill edit in recommend something later, if i can think of something lol.

Edit: Not sure if ill recommend aku no hana to him

Forgive me, for I have strayed. I watch way more anime than read manga these days. :(

I'm kinda? the same. I do read a lot but I am able to somehow to keep up with more shows as well.

Then again, my progress in my backlog reading has pretty much halted lately.

scy

Nana to Kaoru 41 - I completely forgot that they went over how big of a deal the "made for just one person" collars were back during the New Years arc; that they still have a long way to go for that.

Half a year later (story-wise), and he's now hand-making her personal collar. welp <3

I liked marikas introduction, she then fell apart.

Tsugumi's blushing > Marika's straightforwardness in my power rankings. I still think she's comfortably in the top 3, though Haru is doing well these days...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Myanimelist or Mangaupdates are good sites to track what you read. The former is better if you also watch a lot of anime

I guess you want stuff in print only or you fine reading online?

Anyway some slice of life/romance titles

Solanin
A Bride's Story
Flowers of Evil
Sunny
Yotsuba
Paradise Kiss

It falls under battle shounen. You probably will like stuff like One Piece, FMA, or Hunter x Hunter if you enjoyed DBZ.

I've got no problem with online. In fact, if there's options to read online stuff, that'd be my preference. I can read on my iPad or my phone even then. I like portability and such. I have Yotsuba on my shelf, I forgot about that. Thanks for the info. I'll check into these series.

Yes hikaru no gos ending is terrible, not sure if it got axed but i remember there was something going on.

As for tracking manga i only know mal.

Ill edit in recommend something later, if i can think of something lol.

Edit: Not sure if ill recommend aku no hana to him

I thought I read somewhere that Hikaru no Go had some sort of legal issues due to it being based around a real person or something? I don't know...Nonetheless, I think I still want to read it because I really liked what I did read.

Aku no Hana sounds interesting. The synopsis makes it sound like something I'd enjoy. I'll check into it a bit more, thanks.

Itsuka Tomodachi ja Nakunaru to Shite mo 02

Allllll that emotion.

I really expected the drama to be worse too but it isn't as heavy as I thought it would be.

shitoge fans make me sick

marika fans are just weird

tsugumi > mother onodera > ruri with queen ogodera as backup when she finally unleashes her lewd side (will never happen fuck you wsj)

Onodera's mother is a better character than Onodera.

Marika is too devious to be best girl.

Chitoge is Tsundere. And the best looking. And real promise girl.

Tsugumi has the biggest chest apparently.

Therefore correct order is Chitoge > Tsugumi > Onodera's mother > Onodera = Marika.

Chapter 43 now btw.

scy

Hana and Chitoge >>> everyone else. Come on guys.

As does Japan if that poll result is any guide. And I side with them too, though I only ever read a handful of chapters and the anime. Of course I dont hate nice girls like some folks.

To be fair, both her and Marika had like ~1000 votes from one guy. Without those, I think they're both below Chitoge. Then again, Kosaki is in the top 20 like 5 times.

And, personally, it's not hating nice girls but just that she's pretty boring.

Marika is too devious to be best girl.

I'd have figured you'd like her more for that, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom