• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Billion Dogs 11

Eh, losing interest. Each chapter being 5 pages hurts this as well.

Spoof on Titan 11

My Hanna sense is tingling.

District Hakkenshi [code:T-8] 11

Also losing interest with how short each chapter is.

NadeNadeShikoShiko 11

RIP Founder

Girl and Car on the Beat 08

Even the car gets chocolate.

ARAIDOKI 11

She fails as an angel and he fails as a yokai.

In a Heartbeat 10

DRAMAAAAAAAAA

The Knight in the Area 04

We're almost up to eleven!

Can't Ride A Bicycle! 12

Can't ride a bicycle and also not very smart either.

High School Ninja Girl, Otonashi-san 11

Can't even get a chocolate from a ninja.

Schoolgirl Landlord Honoka 06

Naked apron action.

Logick 08

A date goes to stalking another couple.

Too Much Booty 02

More 4koma lewdness.

Milk on the Farm 01

Another farm related series from the mangaka of B Gata. Amusing enough to keep reading.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Persona 4 - The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena 01-05

So yep, an adaptation of the fighting game. Since I suck at fighting games, this wasn't bad.

Good adaptation of the kinda multiple beginning parts of the story and nice use of everybody's Persona 3 characters.
Mitsuru and Akihiko were pretty much the only good characters of Persona 3. :'(

Sekai Maou 5
advisor's right, just kill him lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mitsuru and Akihiko were pretty much the only good characters of Persona 3. :'(

Sekai Maou 5
advisor's right, just kill him lol
I find Akihiko annoying because I'm already tired of him being a Perfect Shojo Male.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Akihiko was awkward and adorable in the game. Junpei was alright if a bit annoying. Protag was a douche, fuck Ken, and Shinjiro was the only competent guy there.

I wish more shojo male leads were like Akihiko, they're mostly like the protag. Ladies' man for god knows what reason and usually unrelatable

Yukimura-sensei to Kei-kun 2

Not much progress but it was quite pleasant. The panic over to touch his hair or not while sitting at the table doing english and the response was good. Im glad theres many more chapters.

7 Seeds 1-129

This manga was hard for me to get into because of the art and I'm not into Shojo style manga. I disliked it a lot at first until I got used to it. It's not clean and there are times when I can't make out what's going on in the panels. But damn, once you're a few chapters in the story is gripping as hell. This was recommended to me since I really enjoyed Cage of Eden and I'm so happy with the recommendation. There are quite a few characters and they're all pretty interesting. What keeps me reading is how the large casts eventually cross paths with one another and meet up. At first I was kind of annoyed how the focus of the story kept shifting to different groups but each new story is so interesting that after only a few pages in you want to know what happens to this new cast.

Also, I hate how weak Natsu is but I'm also constantly rooting for her.

Bokura no Hentai (I must be a Pervert/Abnormal) 1-16

Despite its fluttery artwork, it trends into some pretty dark areas like sexual favors, abusing trust, dealing with the death of the favored sibling and its aftermath, etc.

Wasn't really sure why I clicked on this since the cover looked like two girls about to kiss and the word "hentai" was in the title so I automatically assumed it was something lewd. I was surprised to learn it was actually a psychological seinin gender bender...although I don't want to use gender bender even if the focus is about three boys (eventually a girl) who cross dress for different reasons.

All three boys were part of an online community and meet in real life and talk about the reasons for why they crossdress. Mariko (Yuuta) crossdresses because he feels most comfortable doing it. Parou (Tamura) believes he/she was a nympho in a past life and does it for a boy he once admired. Yui (Ryousuke) crossdresses to be his dead sister for his mother who doesn't even notice him.

While not as on par with Wandering Son, Bokura no Hentai does handle transgender, gender identities, and going through puberty pretty well. Particularly Yui/Ryousuke who only does it to appease his mentally ill mother and struggles to affirm he is "male" and not his sister.

Best little detail: They read Glass Mask and Ryousuke is totally into it (although he buys Jump to reaffirm his shounen-ness)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Kingdom 330

Man these last couple chapters gave me some serious feels. Shin breaking down in front of Sei, and the people of Sai running the gamut of emotion during Sei's speech. Why is this manga so good.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Kingdom 330

Man these last couple chapters gave me some serious feels. Shin breaking down in front of Sei, and the people of Sai running the gamut of emotion during Sei's speech. Why is this manga so good.

The best man... the best.

Although seeing the Sei's manga version and comparing it to the ruthlessness of the real King Sei is really something else, hahaha. But I guess you can't be the 1st empire of a unified China if you don't play ruthlessly.

scy

The best man... the best.

Although seeing the Sei's manga version and comparing it to the ruthlessness of the real King Sei is really something else, hahaha. But I guess you can't be the 1st empire of a unified China if you don't play ruthlessly.

I think a lot of the cast is pretty ruthless in reality.

The ones that exist / are known, anyway.

Pocket Monsters Zensho 00

aSVn4Col.png

So what will basically be a more accurate retelling of the games. Woo.

Simple things though Blue is less of a jerk for some reason.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Akihiko was awkward and adorable in the game. Junpei was alright if a bit annoying. Protag was a douche, fuck Ken, and Shinjiro was the only competent guy there.

I wish more shojo male leads were like Akihiko, they're mostly like the protag. Ladies' man for god knows what reason and usually unrelatable

Makoto doesn't even have a personality in the game.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Makoto doesn't even have a personality in the game.
He does though. It's in the way he walks and everything, with his dumb hands stuck in his dumb pants thinkin' he's all that.

Hana to Hoshi 1-11.5
Think I've read this before but I don't think I finished it last time. It was cute, I didn't really get Hoshino's personality though. How do you fall in love with a girl who basically trash talks you, saying she doesn't remember small fry and looks right through you while she says it? And I guess Hanai fell in love because of the almost kiss.

These kinds of manga are sometimes eye-opening on the culture difference between Japan and here. Sitting in another girl's lap or kissing her on the cheek wouldn't really count as gay. Making out with a girl probably would though, unless it was for a dare I guess.

Dragon's Rioting 16

The meeting with previous dragon wasn't as exciting as it could have been :(

Dragons Rioting 16

YES! Some fanservice to light up my weekend. Kenichi and FT was missing my usual dose so I felt kind of empty lol.

Yeah I agree with you about the previous Dragon meeting wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. But I'd give it a few chapters. She does give new meaning to shyness though LOL.

But damn are all the girls in the school powerful or what and hot to boot.

Now for next month's chapter to kick in. Wish this was a weekly series.

Noragami Shuuishuu 01

So side stories of the Noragami manga which I'll totally read someday.

But yeah, this is basically the falling episode which was pretty funny in the anime. It was pretty funny reading it too.

7 Seeds 1-129

This manga was hard for me to get into because of the art and I'm not into Shojo style manga. I disliked it a lot at first until I got used to it. It's not clean and there are times when I can't make out what's going on in the panels. But damn, once you're a few chapters in the story is gripping as hell. This was recommended to me since I really enjoyed Cage of Eden and I'm so happy with the recommendation. There are quite a few characters and they're all pretty interesting. What keeps me reading is how the large casts eventually cross paths with one another and meet up. At first I was kind of annoyed how the focus of the story kept shifting to different groups but each new story is so interesting that after only a few pages in you want to know what happens to this new cast.

Also, I hate how weak Natsu is but I'm also constantly rooting for her.

Glad you love it! (one of us, one of us) 7 Seeds has one of the best stories in the post apocalyptic genre.

7 Seeds used to be in a monthly shoujo manga magazine (betsucomi) before being transferred to a Josei one (Flowers). I think that probably explains why there was a sharp difference in terms of feel during the first few chapters.

Toriko is Shonen
Kingdom is Seinen

Toriko has 266 translated chapters so far
Kingdom has 330 translated chapters so far

Toriko translations have caught up with the Japanese releases
Kingdom translations are ~45 chapters behind but they're moving at a fast pace (~5ch/week) and will catch up soon

Toriko is pretty good
Kingdom is imo better than Toriko in pretty much every regard and my favourite ongoing manga right now

Kingdom is seinen? Really? It's pretty shounen to me though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's published in a seinen magazine.

Really though all these genre tags are mostly about the demographic of their magazine.

The ravages of time is really good if you like Kingdom. The story is a little harder to follow if you don't know ancient chinese generals, but the art is better and it has Lu Bu so it works out.

akaoni

Banned
When I whined about Kingdom, I felt the MC/dialogue turned it into shounen material. Younger boys are going to be able to self-insert themselves into his kiddo thought process while I measure up how irritating he is.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";101117720]The ravages of time is really good if you like Kingdom. The story is a little harder to follow if you don't know ancient chinese generals, but the art is better and it has Lu Bu so it works out.[/QUOTE]

It's based on Romance of The Three Kingdoms then?

That's alright but one thing that I like about Kingdoms is its setting. There's not many mangas/comics that focuses on Shih Huang Ti.

I do want a more 'realistic' manga based on the Warring States age though. How they managed to unify China and the emperor slowly succumbing into paranoia.

Mortemis

Banned
Kingdom 1 - 10

So far so good. When I saw Piao at the end of chapter 2 I was scared that this manga took death too easily, glad it was just someone who looked like him. I'm not the biggest fan of dumb hot-headed MC's, but it's better than a beta so I can't complain.

wonzo

Banned
Prison School 99

awakened meiko 2 op

Tetsuwan Girl 68

This reporter owns and I can't wait for him to get his revenge.

Kingdom 1 - 10

So far so good. When I saw Piao at the end of chapter 2 I was scared that this manga took death too easily, glad it was just someone who looked like him. I'm not the biggest fan of dumb hot-headed MC's, but it's better than a beta so I can't complain.
The MC gets less dumb as it goes on… kinda.

Charade

These kinds of manga are sometimes eye-opening on the culture difference between Japan and here. Sitting in another girl's lap or kissing her on the cheek wouldn't really count as gay. Making out with a girl probably would though, unless it was for a dare I guess.

I think that's the whole Class S/schoolgirl fling you see in lots of Yuri. It's seen as acceptable only up to a certain age (like middle school). Past that, you get the whole talking behind their backs, "aren't those two weird" kind of thing. Granted, this is only my observation from manga not reality.

Amagi Brilliant Park 01

A genius narcissistic is politely asked our musket wielding heroine to help manage a run down theme park and return it to its splendor.

Well it's amusing enough. Lots of inner monologue and some amount of references. It could become pretty funny and who doesn't love a heroine who's ready to whip out a musket from nowhere to get what she wants.

dumbyugi

Dragons Rioting 16

I like the previous dragon but I was hoping for a bit more from the first meeting between her and Rin. I hope Rintarou will actually get a proper fight against the beast-man.

Waratte! Sotomura-san 56

I hope Sotomura's Dad comes back sometime. Him not having a face means we probably won't see much of him though.

Nanatsu no Taizai 66

I'm sure she'll be fine. A lot of good action this chapter.

survivor

Banned
Hirunaka no Ryuusei vol 1
Best shoujo manga I read in a while. Consistently funny and with an art style filled with personality and lots of great reaction faces. Also some forbidden love. The main character, Suzume, not acting as a complete airhead, being assertive and funny really carries the story through and is very refreshing. A solid lighthearted first volume and while the love triangle and drama are already set in motion, I have faith in this manga to handle them in an intelligent manner.

exarkun

Ugh Im gonna have to start reading Kingdom arent I?

Ive been putting it off, hoping that something else might catch my eye. But im about to go innnn

wonzo

Banned
7 Seeds 130

Holy shit, things are gettin all kindsa weird and creepy right now.

Honey & Honey 32-33

I… feel really awful over all the posts I made hoping they'd still be together. This chapter was just about the single biggest punch to the gut ever. ;____;

Inari 38

Sumizome, you need to take some deep breaths and think things through a bit more. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom