• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Boku Girl 8

This would've been the lewdest thing I read these past few days if it wasn't for Runners Heaven, and even then it's kinda hard to say…

dat shrimp

Glad you love it! (one of us, one of us) 7 Seeds has one of the best stories in the post apocalyptic genre.

7 Seeds used to be in a monthly shoujo manga magazine (betsucomi) before being transferred to a Josei one (Flowers). I think that probably explains why there was a sharp difference in terms of feel during the first few chapters.

Yeah I really dig it a lot. I was pleasantly surprised chapter 130 -- which is part of volume 25 of the manga -- just got released as well. I know volume 26 just came out in January in Japan, but does anyone know what the latest chapter is (the one currently running in flowers?). Just wondering how far behind the translation is running.

The ashes arc and the winter arc are probably my top favorite thus far, followed by the hail of the corn arc. I don't think it's possible to dislike aramaki because of what happened in Winter.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I really dig it a lot. I was pleasantly surprised chapter 130 -- which is part of volume 25 of the manga -- just got released as well. I know volume 26 just came out in January in Japan, but does anyone know what the latest chapter is (the one currently running in flowers?). Just wondering how far behind the translation is running.

The ashes arc and the winter arc are probably my top favorite thus far, followed by the hail of the corn arc. I don't think it's possible to dislike aramaki because of what happened in Winter.

Latest scanned raw is at 134.

Quasar

Did you not read the first chapter? She clearly qualifies.

I read it. I don't really recall anything terribly pixie-ish. Just her love of music, distain for connectedness, and her not want to be forced into athletics.

Of course I like pixies. Though apparently not enough to stomach New Girl, starring a pixie who previously
i thought could read telephone books and I'd watch.

Quasar

Dragons Rising - guess I dont totally hate every manga with dragon in the title. Even if the MCs disease is totally stupid.

LeleSocho

Banned
Tetsuwan Girl 32-54
This isn't going to end well does it? Candys will lose and in order to bay back the debt Tome will be forced to go to America doesn't it?
Either way I don't want these chapter to end... must. slow. down.

High Score Girl 4-6
the author should really avoid to picture the character sideway

Finalizer

Koe no Katachi 26 OH GOD FINALLY edition

mashiba confirmed for 2meta

ueno confirmed for still missing the point

Curious as to how Nishimiya regards her post-slap. Hoping whatever happened on the ride involved Nishimiya standing her ground, heh.

Nordicus

Boku Girl 1-8

Ohmygod this panel. THIS PANEL

YWDdv4J.jpg

Dragon Rioting 16
That Tetris and Pokemon reference were fairly funny. The story really seems to be spread out in this chapter. Hope it gets tied up relatively fast

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Amagi Brilliant Park 01

A genius narcissistic is politely asked our musket wielding heroine to help manage a run down theme park and return it to its splendor.

Well it's amusing enough. Lots of inner monologue and some amount of references. It could become pretty funny and who doesn't love a heroine who's ready to whip out a musket from nowhere to get what she wants.

Wait, is this related to full metal panic? That's bonta right?

Lain

Hirunaka no Ryuusei vol 1

Best shoujo manga I read in a while. Consistently funny and with an art style filled with personality and lots of great reaction faces. Also some forbidden love. The main character, Suzume, not acting as a complete airhead, being assertive and funny really carries the story through and is very refreshing. A solid lighthearted first volume and while the love triangle and drama are already set in motion, I have faith in this manga to handle them in an intelligent manner.

It's one of the better new shoujo released over here I've been reading too. Well drawn and funny with good characters.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Kuro 1
I think I like scary but cute manga. You can tell that there's something really wrong here besides the obvious cat and monsters. I'd like to see more of the girl who seems discerning enough to question the doctor when he strays off the path and to recognize Kuro for what he is

Aizo

Banned
Is there a non-smut related paradise that MangaGAF could be destined for? Surely not... (T_T)

I'm going back to using the ManGAF portmanteau. I only stopped using it when someone pointed out it seems like Man-GAF, which I honestly hadn't noticed. For one, I love portmanteaus. Secondly, I think you all scare any women away with the smut. This is ManGAF.

Lain

Is there a non-smut related paradise that MangaGAF could be destined for? Surely not... (T_T)

I'm going back to using the ManGAF portmanteau. I only stopped using it when someone pointed out it seems like Man-GAF, which I honestly hadn't noticed. For one, I love portmanteaus. Secondly, I think you all scare any women away with the smut. This is ManGAF.

Actually, I wouldn't be so sure, given how many shojo/josei are full on smut. Women love their smut, it would seem.

survivor

Banned
It's one of the better new shoujo released over here I've been reading too. Well drawn and funny with good characters.
Yep, the art is pretty damn good. Very clean, focused, character designs are pretty, it's just good to see so much effort put into a shoujo manga.

Ore Monogatari ch 3-5

Missed the last couple of chapters, but decided to reread some of the other chapters as well. So for Takeo to win the respect of Yamato's friends he just has to rescue them from a burning building? Shoujo drama has to go to such lengths to justify the drama. I never noticed it before, but there are a lot of cheesy inner monologues in the manga. Oh well, the main couple is funny and they are adorable. However I'm curious how long Suna will go on alone. Since it seems even up till volume 4 covers, there are no other characters on the covers beside the main trio.

Bakuman END

Rq88TAo.jpg

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I think of the two premises, first Takagi and Mashiro becoming successful mangaka and second Mashiro and Azuki fulfilling their dreams, the first one definitely worked much better. The various authors, assistants, editors etc. had tons of personality and I think they gave them the right amount of focus most of the time. Personal highlights were Niizuma being crazy, Hiramaru being lazy as shit and tricked by Yoshida and of course Ashirogi Mutou + Miyoshi. Nanaime as antagonist was also pretty interesting after the other mangaka had become more like friendly rivals. Second time around it felt rather forced, however. Iwase practically disappearing was also rather unnatural (pun intended) since she was talking so big all the time. I gotta say though, for a shonen manga I liked most character interactions. What surprised me was how well the editors were characterized and incorporated in the story.

Mashiro's and Anzu's "relationship" was the most frustrating part, I think. They had their moments but the ending wasn't as rewarding that it'd justify their stubbornness. The last few chapters with the focus on Anzu's voice acting were also a bit weird. I can't decide whether I feel that the introduction of all these voice actresses was good or not. On one hand, it gave off the feeling that Anzu didn't just exist in a vacuum outside of Mashiro's world but there wasn't that many indicators in the earlier chapters since we barely see anything from her. It's to be expected from a shonen though and it would have probably just added too much fluff featuring a rather uninteresting character. I don't know if they could have done it but Ohba and Obata managed to make the competition between the various mangaka exciting after all.

Talking about Obata, the art was really good. It's clearly softer, simpler and more stylized than his art in Death Note which fit the setting. Especially the faces were fantastic, whether in normal, dramatic or comedic situations. I also loved how many of them looked unique without being ridiculous. Niizuma Eiji is again a standout character here. Very dynamic with a huge range of expressions and I love his design. The bland clothes and his weird haircut just further cement that he doesn't care about anything but manga and together with the wings he carries around all of the time they really complement his character. Others don't have to hide though,

Ultimately, despite its shortcomings Bakuman is still a very competent manga. It's a post-modernist, metafictional and self-referential work that made me think more about it than I initially expected. On the surface, Bakuman appears to be a manga about writing manga by giving a ton of tips on how to structure a story, how to introduce characters etc. As it went on however, I felt it was more about how to read them. Through the numerous dialogues and events that influence how the various series in Bakuman are written, the reader's head is filled with tons expectations Ohba loves to play with. You constantly keep wondering what is based on reality and the author's experiences, begin to see the patterns in other manga but also question all your preconceived notions about JUMP, shonen and manga in general.

Many manga will influence how other manga that came before or after are read. I don't think it'll be possible to seriously read a battle shonen manga without having Dragon Ball or One Piece in mind and there are numerous other examples for every genre and subgenre. Bakuman however is one of the few that attempts to give the reader the tools for understanding manga and almost rejects the modern literary idea of the death of the author by breaking down the borders of the text (in this case, manga) and the illusion we as readers have about it. Through Bakuman Ohba and Obata say "This is how manga are made and you better keep that in mind when reading it" and in that regard it's an absolute success.

Tripon

Metori × Metorare 1-2

This is actually a sequel to We're all in Heeeeeeeeeeeeat 1-2 by Meme50, who wasn't mentioned the last time we were discussing favorite dirty artists, but I feel like he should get his props, the guy always goes for humor in his stories, and his artwork is great.

survivor

Banned
Bakuman END

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I think of the two premises, first Takagi and Mashiro becoming successful mangaka and second Mashiro and Azuki fulfilling their dreams, the first one definitely worked much better. The various authors, assistants, editors etc. had tons of personality and I think they gave them the right amount of focus most of the time. Personal highlights were Niizuma being crazy, Hiramaru being lazy as shit and tricked by Yoshida and of course Ashirogi Mutou + Miyoshi. Nanaime as antagonist was also pretty interesting after the other mangaka had become more like friendly rivals. Second time around it felt rather forced, however. Iwase practically disappearing was also rather unnatural (pun intended) since she was talking so big all the time. I gotta say though, for a shonen manga I liked most character interactions. What surprised me was how well the editors were characterized and incorporated in the story.
Nanamine was sorta alright as a villain the first time around, but yeah the second time he was brought back, it was obvious they ran out of ideas and were trying to milk few more chapters. Which really is something Ohba and Obata failed to learn even when they talked about it in Bakuman.

Mashiro's and Anzu's "relationship" was the most frustrating part, I think. They had their moments but the ending wasn't as rewarding that it'd justify their stubbornness. The last few chapters with the focus on Anzu's voice acting were also a bit weird. I can't decide whether I feel that the introduction of all these voice actresses was good or not. On one hand, it gave off the feeling that Anzu didn't just exist in a vacuum outside of Mashiro's world but there wasn't that many indicators in the earlier chapters since we barely see anything from her. It's to be expected from a shonen though and it would have probably just added too much fluff featuring a rather uninteresting character. I don't know if they could have done it but Ohba and Obata managed to make the competition between the various mangaka exciting after all.
Yeah, their relationship went nowhere and wasn't that well developed. It started by contrived nonsense and then at the end when she finally got her own arc, it was silly idols forced drama.

D-Frag 1-7
It was fairly funny though the anime is a pretty close adaptation so it wasn't as funny after watching the anime so far. The suggested torture scene was still pretty funny

Nanamine was sorta alright as a villain the first time around, but yeah the second time he was brought back, it was obvious they ran out of ideas and were trying to milk few more chapters. Which really is something Ohba and Obata failed to learn even when they talked about it in Bakuman.

Bakuman has tons of meta-hypocrisy which makes me think that maybe it was intentional to a certain degree. Nanamine's small bits of background story made me initially think that they would show that you can milk while still keeping the quality high but it didn't happen. The decision to make Reversi only as long as it has to be is in stark contrast to what they do with their own manga so maybe it was to prove a point? I don't know. Ultimately, sacrificing quality to make a point is probably not the best way to go about it and it definitely left a bitter aftertaste.

bNHAqZh.png

Dragons Rioting 16

Meru playing the frustrated wingman.

Ren can strip fine in front of a man, but can't look them in the eye?

Yeah, that works.

Conan-san

Real Account 1
Oh boy! Let's sing along boys and girls!

Ataru is a fan of Re-aca, basically Facebook, and is thrust into a death game when his mind is digitally transposed to the world of Real Account (editor: seriously?) where he and several thousand others are told the following; if they die, their followers die as well and if they lose all their followers they're a dead mother fucker (The mechanics of how this happens are not explained because that's not a tired cliché made to create a false sense of mystery). Along the way they are antagonised by MonoKu- I mean Marble, Re-Aca's mascot who, true to tradition of Jigsaw, is a sadistic murdering piece of shit.

The first game is the object lesson of "Relationships are fake and humanity is animals in clothes!" Wherein the follows outside the game have three minutes to unfollow the unforuntes in the game thus absolving themselves of this whole stupid afair.

Ataru's sizeable friendliest is quickly whittled down to one (his sister and only living relative, the parents being Mr and Ms. Peter Parker'd previous to the story) and he blocks her to prevent her being a party to The Most Dangerous Game and thus consigns himself to death. He is, however, saved by a mysterious other follower who will no doubt be female and no doubt be the Asuna of this production.

Thus starts the tale told a million times before only far better.

NAY

Seraph of the End 11

Brotherly love across different human types. Ive been waiting so long for Mika and Yu to return to one another. The reunion has to be close at 5th intersection, unless somehow they will prevent Mika from meeting with him.

Fast paced chapter in other parts.

All these kids getting kidnapped and locked up for murder mysteries.

Kids aren't just allow to run free anymore.

If you die on Twitter you die in real life

oh...

At least Dangan Roppa has the Phoneix Wright aspect going for it.

And you know the waifus and husbandos. And despair.

-----------------------------------------------

Kuroko no Basuke - Kiss x Kiss 01-02

Yeah as I thought, not super interesting. Just more romantic fluff. Not bad fluff though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom