• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akito

ibzGmgTXtYEuic.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_n_k5nNA3A

It's still the PV for the manga but anime announcement is incoming?

wonzo

Banned
OPM 43

I can see why Murata redesigned him. sogood

ShokuSoma 60

Isshiki Suit >>>>>>>>> Isshiki 3rd Form

AKB49 149-150

Yoshinaga's still breathing but I'm glad she hasn't appeared that much in the past few chapters.

Stretch 1-2

Two roommates experience the joys of stretching together. It's certainly a rather "unique" series in its own right!

Zai x Ten 14

… Uh, Mission Accomplished!

ibzGmgTXtYEuic.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_n_k5nNA3A

It's still the PV for the manga but anime announcement is incoming?
:eek:

Black Museum Springald 1-6 (END)
Holy mackerel, talk about exceeding my expectations. An inspired, fantastic re-imagining of the legend of Spring-heeled Jack, who was said to have terrorised England in various guises during the 19th century. So gripping that I was doing a pretty good impression of the Curator for the majority of the story. Speaking of, the author needs to heed her demands in the afterword and revisit the museum with other criminal tales. Now, if not sooner.

Franken Fran 1-End

Im not into manga that has depiction of gore, especially ones of this caliber but the art and stories in Fraken Fran helped give me the push to read it to the end. If I had to describe what sort of stories to expect, it'd be like a messed up gore-ified version of Black Jack, with occasional parodies such as Kamen Riders, Mascots parks, giants and loads more. Besides the gore, art, stories, theres also the scientific bits tossed into each of operations done by Fran which I have no clue if they're possible or not but given Kigitsu Katsuhisa's detailed depiction of bodies being mashed, split, cut, and what have you, who knows, they might be possible.

Despite the insane amount of gore that made me uncomfortable, I actually liked Fran and her adventures of science and 'life-saving' and would have liked to seen more, wanted to see more insane science and at least what her father looked like.

Edit: Whoops did not notice that, my bad.

Yeah I think I'm dropping Nana to Kaoru. Not digging the SM angle and the characters/story aren't at the point where I could get past it. Oh well.

Sorry to hear.

If you cant get past the bold then its for the best that you drop this series since it wont change even when the characters slowly do (hell the SM angle is what brings most of those changes to light).

Soma

Megumi giving that slight tease with her thank you speech lol

Also the swag is off the fucking charts with Suit Isshiki, dude knows when its time to be goofy and when its time to be serious.

I guess after this Isshiki "arc" the competition will continue on and that should be good since there are some broken people in there. Plus i don't think Soma is gonna take it (will defeat the mook as a way of giving that Elite Ten guy the middle finger, might defeat Hayama) and that will be all Alice.

Franken Fran 1-End

Im not into manga that has depiction of gore, especially ones of this caliber but the art and stories in Fraken Fran helped give me the push to read it to the end. If I had to describe what sort of stories to expect, it'd be like a messed up gore-ified version of Black Jack, with occasional parodies such as Kamen Riders, Mascots parks, giants and loads more. Besides the gore, art, stories, theres also the scientific bits tossed into each of operations done by Fran which I have no clue if they're possible or not but given Kigitsu Katsuhisa's detailed depiction of bodies being mashed, split, cut, and what have you, who knows, they might be possible.

Despite the insane amount of gore that made me uncomfortable, I actually liked Fran and her adventures of science and 'life-saving' and would have liked to seen more, wanted to see more insane science and at least what her father looked like.

Not exactly too sure bout the level of gore manga drawings allowed here so instead here's a nice picture of the main character and her pet cat. Yes, he's the cat.
1: Franken Fran is one of my all-time favourite mangas and it always warms my transplanted cow's heart to see more people reading it.

2: Check rule 2 in the OP and then remove your image before something bad happens.

1: Franken Fran is one of my all-time favourite mangas and it always warms my transplanted cow's heart to see more people reading it.

2: Check rule 2 in the OP and then remove your image before something bad happens.

Just edited, thanks for the heads up.

Also, its a really good manga, nice stories, interesting characters(mine being Fran and poor poor Kuhou), funny takes on pop culture stuff. I really recommend it to anyone who can push through the gore. Just a shame it ended so soon. I would like more of Fraken Fran.

Sorry to hear.

If you cant get past the bold then its for the best that you drop this series since it wont change even when the characters slowly do (hell the SM angle is what brings most of those changes to light).

The problem I'm having with it is not that it contains SM per se, but more like for the first 20 odd chapters that I've read it's that and only that. Like the characters aren't interesting at the moment anyway, and it's like "well there's more urination than character progression right now".

Maybe I'll return to it, but it would have to have some character stuff pretty soon. Like the SM hook isn't interesting me and there's nothing else there at the moment.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, I'm caught up on Food Wars and got nothing else to get into. ;/
Any recommedations? I'm a fan of Evangelion, Naruto, Punpun, and The World Only God Knows, if that helps. Thanks!
If you want another battle + comedy story, One-Punch Man is a good choice (still need to read it myself though). If art makes it or breaks it for you, start with the remake by Murata.

If you want waifus, massacres, rape, all that depressing stuff - try Akame ga Kill.

If you want something with comedy and character development, try Silver Spoon. By the same author of Fullmetal Alchemist. Speaking of which, if you haven't read FMA, do that.

If you want something I'll recommend regardless of what you actually like, try Kono Oto Tomare damnit.

edit: I couldn't get past the first chapter of Nana to Kaoru, so you've at least made it farther than I have. S&M is kind of a turn off for me I guess.

scy

Sorry to hear.

Eventually, it just becomes the catalyst of pretty much all of Nana's growth. Like, every breather after New Years arc is pretty much for getting over some repressed anxiety of hers.

edit: I couldn't get past the first chapter of Nana to Kaoru, so you've at least made it farther than I have. S&M is kind of a turn off for me I guess.

It starts off really crass, finds the angle it wants with the third character being introduced (~20 chapters), and then finds the tone it really wants to go through around ~30 chapters in. It never drops the S&M stuff, and in a sense they get "harsher", but it's basically just there to carry the character development instead of just there as S&M.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
It starts off really crass, finds the angle it wants with the third character being introduced (~20 chapters), and then finds the tone it really wants to go through around ~30 chapters in. It never drops the S&M stuff, and in a sense they get "harsher", but it's basically just there to carry the character development instead of just there as S&M.
Dude I've seen that dog-play chapter because I randomly skipped ahead to see if it gets any better. That totally made me decide to drop it.

I mean, I'm not a fan of lewd manga to begin with. I am a big fan of character development though. I just don't think I could stomach her degrading herself and the power imbalance between them long enough for that to start to happen. The trade off doesn't seem worth it. I don't judge people who are into s&m obviously, I just don't find it entertaining to read.

scy

Ten de Showaru Cupid - It's like opposite Nisekoi.

Dude I've seen that dog-play chapter because I randomly skipped ahead to see if it gets any better. That totally made me decide to drop it.

I mean, I'm not a fan of lewd manga to begin with. I am a big fan of character development though. I just don't think I could stomach her degrading herself and the power imbalance between them long enough for that to start to happen. The trade off doesn't seem worth it. I don't judge people who are into s&m obviously, I just don't find it entertaining to read.

Power imbalance between them coupled with the dog breather is an awkward sentence. Like, did you read the entire breather or just a few pages? That breather was basically one to go against Kaoru and he wasn't in-control.

To each their own though, just find the context of that one off. That said, there's one breather that does fit with what you're saying (basically, the big breather before that one), though both sides find that it went too far.

The problem I'm having with it is not that it contains SM per se, but more like for the first 20 odd chapters that I've read it's that and only that. Like the characters aren't interesting at the moment anyway, and it's like "well there's more urination than character progression right now".

Maybe I'll return to it, but it would have to have some character stuff pretty soon. Like the SM hook isn't interesting me and there's nothing else there at the moment.

Yea i can see that (luckily i was intrigued by the SM stuff to keep going lol)

Another issue is that imo that growth takes a while and inchs along as the story goes so even if you get pass the hump you might not like the progress and SM is still in full force at that point :p.

Eventually, it just becomes the catalyst of pretty much all of Nana's growth. Like, every breather after New Years arc is pretty much for getting over some repressed anxiety of hers.

Indeed
and its funny that only Kaoru usually notices that something is off with her

To each their own though, just find the context of that one off. That said, there's one breather that does fit with what you're saying (basically, the big breather before that one), though both sides find that it went too far.

Is that the one where
he found out that he can't ignore his feelings and made that epic speech to everyone who was somewhat taking advantage of her kindness?

if so that payoff was great even though it did go too far

scy

Yea i can see that (luckily i was intrigued by the SM stuff to keep going lol)

Another issue is that imo that growth takes a while and inchs along as the story goes so even if you get pass the hump you might not like the progress and SM is still in full force at that point :p.

Yeah, that's the final sticking point. It's really slow in hard developments so if it's a case of "dealing with the S&M", it probably won't go fast enough. Like, we're looking at this + Arashi so like 150+ chapters and the amount of real progress is fairly limited.

That said, it's also the non-S&M chapters that provide the best moments. The S&M chapters are actually just strictly limited to some character breakthrough. The non-S&M chapters are the relationship-focused ones.

Indeed
and its funny that only Kaoru usually notices that something is off with her

And then Tachi and Tachibana provide the rest of the developments for Nana's side.

Is that the one where
he found out that he can't ignore his feelings and made that epic speech to everyone who was somewhat taking advantage of her kindness by dumping all that work on her?

if so that payoff was great even though it did go too far

Yeah, that one. The payoff is good for them but as far as the S&M power play goes, it's probably the most over-the-top one I guess. Most the rest of the breathers are pretty tame. Honestly, the chapter covers are worse than the contents typically :x

...well, there's the suppository bit but that's not really a breather.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Ten de Showaru Cupid - It's like opposite Nisekoi.

Power imbalance between them coupled with the dog breather is an awkward sentence. Like, did you read the entire breather or just a few pages? That breather was basically one to go against Kaoru and he wasn't in-control.

That was a breather? He had her eating out of a dog bowl with a collar and that other girl was there too. It was weird

scy

That was a breather? He had her eating out of a dog bowl with a collar and that other girl was there too. It was weird

There's two parts to that dog bowl one: There's
the bit where he's imagining how it was going to be (and his imagination of the scenes is almost always the dominating dom and submissive sub setup) and then there's the reality of the two eating their soba out of the bowls happily. The entire dog breather ended up for Kaoru's benefit of realizing he doesn't need to be "perfect dom" the entire way through and that he's just as much a part of it as they are.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
There's two parts to that dog bowl one: There's
the bit where he's imagining how it was going to be (and his imagination of the scenes is almost always the dominating dom and submissive sub setup) and then there's the reality of the two eating their soba out of the bowls happily. The entire dog breather ended up for Kaoru's benefit of realizing he doesn't need to be "perfect dom" the entire way through and that he's just as much a part of it as they are.
Wait, the two eating their soba out of the bowls happily are the two girls right.
I dunno, I just think it's not for me. I at least gave it a shot?

Nukoduke! 30
Super cute. The nukos are really endearing.

scy

Wait, the two eating their soba out of the bowls happily are the two girls right.

Er, yeah,
the two girls eating out of their own plates/bowls. And that's the second time, the first was omurice if I recall. It's a really long, time-wise, breather

I dunno, I just think it's not for me. I at least gave it a shot?

That's fine, I was just noting I found choosing that arc of all of them for that point to be kind of funny since it serves to kind of respond to that issue :x

scy

Boku no Idol - I read this forever ago and didn't know there was a sequel. Re-read it and it's ... okay, I guess. It's more the start of a possible romance than anything fulfilling.

Atashi no Idol - ...and then this doesn't answer anything. Just more of a confirmation that they're a dumb couple that won't find the chance to confess.

I got my hopes up ;___;

Soma

Dr. Hitomi's Infirmary Ch. 6

Wait was that a bear in her house?

This manga just keeps getting better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom