• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Probably because the DRAMA in shoujos is so much more melodramatic compared to the bad plots in shonens.

Of course I can only take a shoujo lead being stupid so many times.
And sometimes the guy the girl falls in love with is just a complete asshole with little to no things redeeming him.

I can count the good shojo I've read practically on one hand. I can't tell you how many awful shojo I've not only read, but completed for god knows what reason (latest one being Kyo, Koi wo Hajimemasu. what a piece of shit).

Lain

Have you guys always been reading a lot of shojo series? I know I only came in for the tail end of otx, but my impression was that the most read things were shonen, smut, harem, or whatever. Just curious

I read a lot of shojo but I don't really post about everything I read.

Sekainohate de Aimashou 39

TZ4309Y.png

I uhhhhh...didn't expect kasane's thing to suddenly happen

He/she main character is still annoying so I wouldn't mind if she/he gets eaten truthfully

survivor

Banned
The worst part of shoujo is the number of shitty male leads :/
The worst part of modern day shoujo is the lack of creativity in settings. Where are my countless fantasy/sci-fi shoujo epic love stories? You can only do high school romance so many times.

The worst part of shoujo is the number of shitty male leads :/

I thought all they needed be to was to be handsome

The worst part of modern day shoujo is the lack of creativity in settings. Where are my countless fantasy/sci-fi shoujo epic love stories? You can only do high school romance so many times.

Shoujos can happen not in a school? All the shoujos I read prove otherwise!

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
shit I just looked up some Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun spoilers and
Seo
is in almost every chapter after 41. pls translators I need more
Seo
BibleThump

scy

I don't really mind the setting but this is true too. A lot of shoujo is basically high school romances (and then josei just moves to the office ladies).

I thought all they needed be to was to be handsome

A lot of times are the asshole handsome male getting reformed somehow.

shit I just looked up some Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun spoilers and
Seo
is in almost every chapter after 41. pls translators I need more
Seo
BibleThump

This is the best news I've ever read.

Shokugeki no Soma 61

Almost painful seeing that Tadokoro tease knowing nothing will come of it.

Suit Isshiki is nice but he doesn't look right when wearing clothes.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
This is the best news I've ever read.
There is also a chapter with
raccoons
. the wait will kill me

I know! Seriously, it doesn't even have to be non-modern day, just have it outside of a school or company or a sports club.

Just girls can change the guy with enough willpower!
how many relationships have been broken because the girl couldn't change the guy

oh well, doesn't matter, it's shojo

jbug617

Banned
Rookies 1-233

Picked this up because it was baseball. Really did like the start with Kawato trying to win over the deliquents and the chapter where Aniya finds out the reason why Kawato left his old school was well done. The story was sort of refreshing with all the fights, the bad behavior of the baseball team and trying to overcome that.

Favorite member has to be Sekikawa

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
But I thought all guys could be shaped into the perfect one for the shoujo lead!
who cares about the shojo lead, all the guys need to do is be handsome, be popular, have a devil may care attitude, and commit to the shojo lead after playing around with countless women. Being rich and/or smart also helps.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Aunt Tits 114-116
I'm not invested in this series at all and only read these chapters, but holy shit is she seriously making him go the loli route?

Ookiku Furikabutte Vol.07

Another volume, another chapter, another we're still in the same game, lol.

Nice gameplay especially now the pressure has been put on with runs getting scored. Mihashi is still being as nervous as usual but it is still enjoyable to see this get played out.

Mortemis

Banned
Soma 60

Soma should just pack up for a while and go travel. Maybe whenever this series ever needs a time skip it'll do that. Maybe he'll look like how he did in the oneshot. He looks older to me.

Minamoto 116

So loli route is on hold? Thank god. Put that shit on hold indefinitely. Anyways Minamoto acting all calm and composed around Asahi is driving her crazy. She'll go on the offensive soon, probably.

so in reality, he was actually looking at a mirror the whole time

dun dun dun

So inside the pendant... is just a mirror? lol

Quasar

I read a lot of shojo but I don't really post about everything I read.

I do too. My reading/watching tends to go down that direction. Mostly because I care little for reading/watching battles (partially because I started read/watching manga/anime as an escape/break from superheroes so the last thing I want is more fighting) and I'm much more interested in character relationships.

And really most shojo I try I tend to enjoy at least somewhat. Can't really think of many where I dropped it due to not enjoying it.

Jintor

I like the idea of shoujo, but it's a very translation-heavy thing and I'm pretty picky about word usage and the effect that it can have. It's not the kind of genre that can just rely on ridiculous concepts for me to like it.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I think the thing that hooks me completely is well-done character relationships. Heck, on that list I made pages ago, I look forward to most of those series entirely because of those relationships.

And yeah, translation is pretty important when it comes to the subtleties of relationships. I mean Japanese has like, what, 4 different words to express how you like someone? Whereas English just has a straight up I love you, which can stand for a lot of different types of love.

Cerity

I'd read more shoujo if the main heroines didn't go flutter between the two main leads every other chapter. It utterly shits me off when there is no development in those events, which is seemingly most of the time. Same reason I skipped through the majority of KOR. I can read shitty shounen a lot more as fights tend to be okay or they introduce a somewhat interesting world.

Minamoto 116
Her pants will be off by the end of the next chapter.

scy

Dere Hime is the best.

Man, you just know our weakn--

Hime Arikawa is a high school boy with a huge debt, and he is saved by the girls of his school's student council after being chased down by yakuza debt collectors. The student council agrees to pay off his debt if he'll join the student council and spend his high school life cross-dressing.

--ohhhhhhh.

Furyous

Aunt Tits 114-116
I'm not invested in this series at all and only read these chapters, but holy shit is she seriously making him go the loli route?

I'm boycotting until the author switches to another route. Dude has me scraping me my phone's IP address hoping Manga Storm doesn't get me in trouble. Matter of fact I stopped reading at the first sight of the kid. I'm banning this manga until the author moves to adult women.

Samurai Papa

This manga is missing female nose bleeds. I'm TEAMMILF but the teacher is increasing her BCS ranking with each appearance.

I need a title similar to TAL. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom