• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Shingeki no Kyojin

I'm kinda hoping that they don't kill both ryner and bertholdt. I want some answers goddamnit.

Shingeki No Kyojin

I liked Eren's monologue before punching the Armoured Titan.
I really wonder how they're gonna kill them...

Tried to punch. He got blown away. No idea at the moment how he is going match up to the armoured titan...Maybe they will capture Erin at this point and his sister will have to follow them to wherever they intend to go...

Reknoc

Shingeki no Kyojin

The colossal ribbing the wall was kinda freaky. Like some sort of gross flesh-train.

Shingeki no Kyojin

I'm kinda hoping that they don't kill both ryner and bertholdt. I want some answers goddamnit.

You're reading the wrong series for that!

Qvoth

fairy fail 322
oh god... why did i even read this shit...
for revenge i'll go read a bunch of fairy fail doujins, they most probably have better story anyway

Akito

Cross-quoting from the anime thread. Dat Mikasa.
Looking good indeed. 4 more weeks.

Shingeki no Kyojin
Well eh, things are looking as hopeless as ever, a titan with an armor is a fucking cheat, they have a better chance bring down the colossal titan at this point. Speaking of which I wonder whom he swallowed beside Ymir? Looks like no one important but what's the point?

Hayate 398
TrpYgz4.png
Welp, there goes Nagi's last hope, it's over. I can hear the wedding bells.

Past Future 1-11 (END)

u0uaBGJ.png

Crossdress 'em up featuring your typical MC for these kinds of series and his intolerant sister. Stayed pretty clean throughout, which was a welcome change, and the ending didn't feel that abrupt despite the short length. Above average overall, but nothing particularly special.

Yonafunu

Italy has tons of great series too, Lain often talks about mangas I'd love to see here like Space Brothers, Giant Killing...

Yeah, I heard about that too. I actually see tons of awesome manga everytime I'm in Italy and I almost buy some. Then I remember I'm not that good at reading Italian (or speaking, for that matter). And I'm pretty broke.
:(

dramatis

The Voynich Hotel 1-3

The simplistic, faintly cartoonish artstyle is an interesting juxtaposition to the actual events of the story. There's a lot of mystery cooked up in just the first three (really short) chapters alone, and the sense of creepiness coming from characters are acting strange but everyone seems fine with it. Almost feels like the calm before a storm.

Soul Eater 107
tumblr_mjg8mig3in1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Black☆Star continues to be the Best☆Star. Black☆Star has such great moves and proves always that he is the best fighter, while Soul is busy just playing a piano, and Spirit couldnt do nothing, which was a bit dissapointing honestly. Hopefully Death the Kid can do some damage with Black☆Star help and we get another take on Witch/Genie (was there another?) Hunt.

Soul Eater 107
tumblr_mjg8mig3in1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Black☆Star continues to be the Best☆Star. Black☆Star has such great moves and proves always that he is the best fighter, while Soul is busy just playing a piano, and Spirit couldnt do nothing, which was a bit dissapointing honestly. Hopefully Death the Kid can do some damage with Black☆Star help and we get another take on Witch/Genie (was there another?) Hunt.

Raws for 108 should come out tomorrow.

ryan13ts

I just had a epiphany regarding the recent chapter of One Piece, one I'm sure someone else has already figured out.

The news reporter, Absa, whose suppose to have been getting all these news stories lately, but no one knows how. Absa = Absalom, the perverted chimera guy from Thriller Bark who can turn invisible. It totally explains why he can get all these news stories without anyone seeing him.

Kurita

I just had a epiphany regarding the recent chapter of One Piece, one I'm sure someone else has already figured out.

The news reporter, Absa, whose suppose to have been getting all these news stories lately, but no one knows how. Absa = Absalom, the perverted chimera guy from Thriller Bark who can turn invisible. It totally explains why he can get all these news stories without anyone seeing him.

Actually yes, it was already pointed out in the previous OT :p

Berserk, 43-48

Crazy development. Simply insane. Griffith wants his kingdom and he's getting it and no one can oppose him. What a guy.

PIbUwzp.jpg

This is clearly the face of a communist. Would you trust a man with a face like this? I know I wouldn't.

Zodd giving Gutts his sword was a bit out of nowhere, but I'd say he had his reasons. It seems like he's not a fan of whatever Griffith will become. Griffith finishing the baron was lovely. Sweet and vengeful. It shows that Griffith is definitely not that sweet and kind guy, not that I needed even more proof.

The hawks returning to the city and going to the ball was funny and wonderful. They're so out of place and not used to all that and you can clearly see it. The scenes with Gutts and Caska were once again really great. Something needs to happen between them, even if she's super loyal to Griffith.

And then you have all your typical political plotting against the new rising star. I love this kind of development, even if only because I can't wait to see how spectacular they're going to fail. And boy, did they fail. You simply don't fuck with Griffith and the moment he lays his eyes upon you, know should know you're done. He not only knows war, but also how to play the political game. He's a terrifying man and even got the ones killed who helped him. Seeing how Gutts still played his role in all this, it makes me question his departure plans. He seems a bit too involved to leave the Hawks like this, especially after getting promoted to a white knight and a noble.

Can't wait to see Caska's and the others faces, when they see Griffith. :lol

Wiseblade

SlowpokeBreakingNews.gif

Wiseblade

Berserk, 43-48

Crazy development. Simply insane. Griffith wants his kingdom and he's getting it and no one can oppose him. What a guy.

http://i.imgur.com/PIbUwzp.jpg[img]

[i]This is clearly the face of a communist. Would you trust a man with a face like this? I know I wouldn't.[/i]

Zodd giving Gutts his sword was a bit out of nowhere, but I'd say he had his reasons. It seems like he's not a fan of whatever Griffith will become. Griffith finishing the baron was lovely. Sweet and vengeful. It shows that Griffith is definitely not that sweet and kind guy, not that I needed even more proof.

The hawks returning to the city and going to the ball was funny and wonderful. They're so out of place and not used to all that and you can clearly see it. The scenes with Gutts and Caska were once again really great. Something needs to happen between them, even if she's super loyal to Griffith.

And then you have all your typical political plotting against the new rising star. I love this kind of development, even if only because I can't wait to see how spectacular they're going to fail. And boy, did they fail. You simply don't fuck with Griffith and the moment he lays his eyes upon you, know should know you're done. He not only knows war, but also how to play the political game. He's a terrifying man and even got the ones killed who helped him. Seeing how Gutts still played his role in all this, it makes me question his departure plans. He seems a bit too involved to leave the Hawks like this, especially after getting promoted to a white knight and a noble.

Can't wait to see Caska's and the others faces, when they see Griffith. :lol[/QUOTE]
At this point you should clearly see what I mean about Griffith viewing Guts as a tool to fulfil his monarchical ambitions, rather than a sacrifice for demonhood. Becoming a demon is the last thing on his mind and I doubt he even thought the Behelit was real.

At this point you should clearly see what I mean about Griffith viewing Guts as a tool to fulfil his monarchical ambitions, rather than a sacrifice for demonhood. Becoming a demon is the last thing on his mind and I doubt he even thought the Behelit was real.

Yeah, I got it. His reactions to the Behelit, even after the assassination attempt, were to passive and none of the panels suggested that he knew more about it. He couldn't even get a hint from Zodd, because he was unconscious when he held his speech and flew away.

Stinky

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1 v.1

Dio is such a dick.

Cringed at the dog burning to death. It definitely reads like an older manga.

The art has a charm to it even though I much prefer the newer JoJo art. Araki's art has probably improved the most out of any mangaka I've ever seen.

Korosenai

I figured, but I feel special for figuring it out on my own. Didn't even consider the idea until I re-read the chapter this morning.
It was stated before as well, but if you look at the sail on the ship leaving the island where Kid is talking about Absa, it says Thriller Bark.

survivor

Banned
Ouran High School Host Club vol 1-18 End
9u7EYBS.jpg

Well that's one long shoujo series finally off my backlog. What started out as a funny comedy manga about pretty boys got very tedious to read as the manga kept trying to add serious drama into the series. The comedy really hit it hard whenever the manga focused on the poor commoner lifestyle of Haruhi, Tamaki's fatherly love and the twins pranks. But for every funny page, there are countless other pages filled with fangirls screaming and forced 1% rich people drama.

Really, the main weakness is when the problems they are trying to solve are very petty and unrelatable, it becomes very hard to care for the characters. When you look at all the conflicts presented, only the twins dilemma about their feelings toward Haruhi and Tamaki's family issues were interesting and the only ones that I could take seriously. And when half of your manga is just about the Ouran club solving other students problems, there is a huge emotional disconnect of when the manga is trying to make me care about these characters and what I actually feel.

I do feel like maybe I should have just watched the anime, since this is a comedy manga and chances are Bones did a good job with the adaptation, but I really got no time for a 26 episodes anime series. Beside, the art for the manga was serviceable and did a good job with the comedic moments, but the extremely shoujo art really did become insufferable, especially after reading all these volumes in a short period of time.

Since nothing of value was said, might as well end this post with a fitting boys ranking since that's probably the only thing anyone gives a shit about

Hikaru/Kaoru > Tamaki > Honey > Mori > Casanova > Kyouya

Wiseblade

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1 v.1

Dio is such a dick.

Cringed at the dog burning to death. It definitely reads like an older manga.

The art has a charm to it even though I much prefer the newer JoJo art. Araki's art has probably improved the most out of any mangaka I've ever seen.

Dis gun be good

Ouran High School Host Club vol 1-18 End
http://i.imgur.com/9u7EYBS.jpg[/ig]
Since nothing of value was said, might as well end this post with a fitting boys ranking since that's probably the only thing anyone gives a shit about

Hikaru/Kaoru > Tamaki > Honey > Mori > Casanova > Kyouya[/QUOTE]

Agreed and so good in the live action
[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpcoca3adY1qcx8c3o1_250.gif
tumblr_lpcoca3adY1qcx8c3o3_250.gif
tumblr_lpcoca3adY1qcx8c3o5_250.gif

Berserk, 43-48

PIbUwzp.jpg

This is clearly the face of a communist. Would you trust a man with a face like this? I know I wouldn't.

Can't wait to see Caska's and the others faces, when they see Griffith. :lol
This is like waiting for a train wreck to happen. I can't wait.

Yonafunu

Shingeki No Kyojin 1-18

This is good so far. The art needs a little getting used to, but I'm really enjoying it.
I like the flashbacks. The chapter progression is really cool, and it keeps it from stagnating.
The plot is surprisingly gripping as well. It's not very complex, but still intriguing.
The only thing so far I'm not really enjoying is the constant action. That's pretty much all it's been so far; city is peaceful, titans break through, city is peaceful again, titans break through again. Followed by a lot of death, with characters I don't know. There's no rest. The characters aren't terribly strong either.
It may sound like I'm not really liking it so far, but I guess the whole is greater than the sum of all parts here.
So far, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom