• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nisekoi

Manga has taught me Japanese girls can get drunk off practically anything.

And that chances they act like whores once they're drunk are pretty high. Good to know if I happen to visit Japan someday.

AKB49 118

SHIT IS ABOUT TO GET REAL

Hopefully.

Seeing that she hates men, I wonder why happen when she discovers he's a guy!

....actually we need more idol battles here and less this crap.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
And that chances they act like whores once they're drunk are pretty high. Good to know if I happen to visit Japan someday.

Seeing that she hates men, I wonder why happen when she discovers he's a guy!

....actually we need more idol battles here and less this crap.

I will agree that most girls I know when they get drunk don't start immediately removing their clothes, declaring undying love, etc. They most just get irritable and catty :lol

The End of Sexual Instinct and the Hydrogen Bomb War 01, 03

I liked the first story. Screw the world for love.

The other story was pretty weird.

Soma

Medaka Box

Well that was a pretty satisfying conclusion to this ma-

oh wait there's more? Damnit Nisio.

Sakamoto desu ga?
ibdgiC2I9VJysa.png

The homo-eroticism here is off the charts.

And I'm totally okay with that.

Abnormal-kei Joshi
Inside the typical day of a stalker. Also any panel with Satsuki in it brings a smile to my face.

Love Tyrant

Best girl.

I feel like the manga has lost some steam in the energy and the laughs department compared to the first two chapters. Maybe the next arc will be better.

Shino-chan wa Jibun no Namae ga Ienai

Bob Dylan poster. What a hipster.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

An expected ending to that whole ordeal with the Demon Queen but a pretty enjoyable chapter nonetheless.

The ending to the battle seemed almost too sudden though.

Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite

Yeah I really don't consider this smut but I guess once a nickname has caught on it's kind of impossible to lose it.

Also, Masaki is such a downer. Clearly the best course of action is to kill him first.

Oddman 11 01-09

The premise is like Scott Pilgrim expect reversed. It got all that weirdness of other series by the same author which is pretty unique. I expected more fighting but I am liking what they are doing now.

Nickelodeon 01-20

Ok, this is all kinds of awesome. I really do like this short story format, especially how some of them interlink with each other. This was a really good read.

Berserk 9-11 (Golden Age)

smuAdR0.jpg

Holy shit.

For some reason I never thought about how Gutts grew up. This is really crazy and disturbing. Fighting at the age of 6, getting sold to a pedophile for a night and having to kill his father figure. Insane, but explains his character to a point. It was also nice showing that he always had a hang for big swords, even when it was forced at the beginning. I really like this flashback.

Kurita

Magi vol.7
SjzaelN.jpg

Such a badass cover even though I can't stand this guy. Really good volume, Ali Baba and that other king grew some balls. It was cool to see Hugo's face.
And, damn, the ending was awesome. Qasim stabbing himself, blood everywhere, and then turning into this demon... I need to read vol.8 asap since that's all we saw.
And the author really knows how to draw swords/relics/etc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Berserk 9-11 (Golden Age)

smuAdR0.jpg

Holy shit.

For some reason I never thought about how Gutts grew up. This is really crazy and disturbing. Fighting at the age of 6, getting sold to a pedophile for a night and having to kill his father figure. Insane, but explains his character to a point. It was also nice showing that he always had a hang for big swords, even when it was forced at the beginning. I really like this flashback.

If you think that's bad...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sky Blue 1-2

Decided to read this one randomly and I'm surprisingly hooked despite the main character being your typical hotblooded dude. For a shounen manga the art is fairly appealing and the story seems good enough for something that follows the cliched "guy gets powers to beat up other guys." It's 5 volumes completed, so I'll definitely keep an eye on it as more becomes translated, or if I decide to buy the originals.

Side note - I like the MC's design.

Tacitus_

It is kinda surreal seeing peoples first impressions of Berserk
and the hilariously wrong guesses for how it is going to continue

Toriko Century Soup Arc

Wow that was really really good. I feel this is the arc people should read first if they're iffy on wanting to get into Toriko. It does a great job of showing off the world, the fights, the monsters, and the characters. It's also the first arc where Komatsu feels like an important part of the cast and not an audience proxy character for Toriko to explain things to. Toriko's fight with Tommyrod was fantastic and all the new characters they introduced really worked well, especially Match and the Gourmet Yakuza.

Kurita

Toriko Century Soup Arc

Wow that was really really good. I feel this is the arc people should read first if they're iffy on wanting to get into Toriko. It does a great job of showing off the world, the fights, the monsters, and the characters. It's also the first arc where Komatsu feels like an important part of the cast and not an audience proxy character for Toriko to explain things to. Toriko's fight with Tommyrod was fantastic and all the new characters they introduced really worked well, especially Match and the Gourmet Yakuza.

That the arc I'm reading right now it's really good so far, maybe the best arc yet.
Waiting for the tenth volume to be released here, can't wait.

Toriko Century Soup Arc

Best arc but not the best food. Bogie was my favorite new cast member there, and the tommyrod fight was way intense. Hopefully future arcs can feel like it.

Samyy

Love to see people reading Beserk. Manga absolutely schocked, appalled and desensitized me to a lot of things since I read it so young. Enjoy :p

Berserk 12-14 (Golden Age, end of vol 4)

GzpBlTm.jpg

I like this, I really like this flashback. Story, art, characters. It's been great so far.

Gutts got crazy strong for his age, but seeing him haunted by nightmares is a nice reminder that he's still young. His first meeting with Griffith wasn't really interesting, but still well done. Having Caska sleeping by him must've been a real torture. :lol For some reason I really like her and I hope she won't die in the next 2 or 3 chapters. That would piss me off. I'd rather see her return and meet with Gutts at some point, but I don't see her surviving the flashback.

I'm not sure what to think of Griffith. He's obviously crazy strong, more skilled than Gutts and got a boner for him. At least enough, that he trusts Gutts and gives him an important role during the attack. He's also kinda charismatic in a way and I want to punch his pretty, smug face.

The lack of demons is interesting. I suspect Griffith turning into one later on has something to do with the reason of them showing up in the first place.

Berserk

Not really much of a suspicion, since you see him as one before the flashback.
My iPad keyboard put a , instead of an h in there. I edited my post.

I suspect him turning into one is the reason why the world is filled with them, after the flashback.

Suzumiya Haruhi-chan no Yuuutsu - Nano Shucchouban 01-04

Fun adventures with Nagato and her little group of people living with her.

Berserk 15-23

00WoMVZ.jpg

See, you can do light hearted scenes and humor without having a shitty elf flying around all the time.

With the appearance of Zodd, there goes my theory about Griffith summoning all the demons into that dimension with the Behelit. But the way Zodd talked to Gutts, it almost seems like Griffith always wanted to sacrifice Gutts at some point, hence why he's so overprotective of him.

Not sure what to think of that, but I'm probably wrong anyway.

Wiseblade

Berserk 15-23

http://i.imgur.com/00WoMVZ.jpg[img]

See, you can do light hearted scenes and humor without having a shitty elf flying around all the time.

With the appearance of Zodd, there goes my theory about Griffith summoning all the demons into that dimension with the Behelit. But the way Zodd talked to Gutts, it almost seems like Griffith always wanted to sacrifice Gutts at some point, hence why he's so overprotective of him.

Not sure what to think of that, but I'm probably wrong anyway.[/QUOTE]

I think it's more that Griffith saw someone who could be a valuable asset more than a sacrifice.

Berserk 25-28 (Volume 6)

gz5f34M.jpg

Damn it, Gutts. You're the worst assassin ever. You were supposed to kill one person. Silently. Without getting noticed. Instead you killed your target, a kid and half of the guards. With a huge sword on top of that. Holy crap, man. Get your shit together. It's like watching someone play assassins creed, for christ's sake.

I think it's more that Griffith saw someone who could be a valuable asset more than a sacrifice.

Only before Griffith was ready for whatever he's planing. When the two met again, after Gutts defeated Count Snail, Griffith sounded like Gutts was always just a mere sacrifice to him. That, plus the way Zodd talked, made me come to the conclusion that Griffith was never really interested in him, as a friend.

Berserk 25-28 (Volume 6)

gz5f34M.jpg

Damn it, Gutts. You're the worst assassin ever. You were supposed to kill one person. Silently. Without getting noticed. Instead you killed your target, a kid and half of the guards. Holy crap, man. Get your shit together. It's like watching someone play assassins creed, for christ's sake.

Only before Griffith was ready for whatever he's planing. When the two met again, after Gutts defeated Count Snail, Griffith sounded like Gutts was always just a mere sacrifice to him. That, plus the way Zodd talked, made me come to the conclusion that Griffith was never really interested in him, as a friend.

Not exactly.

Its a bit more complicated than that.

Kachou wa Kakko Ii 2
tumblr_mjf4vhHnj31qbxqfpo1_500.png

Manager relationship issues continued before taking it to the next level. Really good chapter just for the sake of seeing him try to come to terms with it. Takemoto was patient but after two months seemed to run out, so glad they didnt break up and the ending scene was surprising, not who I thought would be in the position.

vertical did finally finish that survey (today)
Monogatari + - (love to do it, but extremely long book and very hard translation… super high-translation costs)
Princess Jellyfish - (we cannot afford it)
WataMote + (not exactly our style but who knows)
Baccano - - - - - (17+ volumes… just impossible for us to finish)
ChihayaFuru - - - - - (way way too expensive and long)
Oyasumi PunPun - - - - - (belongs to Shogakukan so we couldn’t acquire it anyway)
Our Light Club + + + (we should get to it eventually)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - - - - - (if we can’t do a three vol novel series, a 10 volume series is impossible)
My Little Monster + + (so it is ending at 12 vols…SWEET!)
ZERO + (if we could only do one arc…maybe)

Finally, I can say at least one title submitted by you all has been looked into already. It is not on the top 10 but it was in the top 20. And we are looking at around three more top 20 titles. Expect to hear about at least one of them, IF we get the license, by AnimeCentral

oh well, if only other companies at least share their results. They also did talk about cost of translating novels, like From the New World ($450K, need to sell 4500 copies to break even, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom