• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
No, I'm starting from part 1.

I'm going to try and not skip anything.

Good stuff. Hope you enjoy it.
Just remember Part 1, while still decent, is usually considered the weakest. Get through that though, and your in for a great ride.

Kurita

Agreed and so good in the live action
tumblr_lpcoca3adY1qcx8c3o1_250.gif
tumblr_lpcoca3adY1qcx8c3o3_250.gif
tumblr_lpcoca3adY1qcx8c3o5_250.gif

:lol I need to watch it.

Yeah, I got it. His reactions to the Behelit, even after the assassination attempt, were to passive and none of the panels suggested that he knew more about it. He couldn't even get a hint from Zodd, because he was unconscious when he held his speech and flew away.

And this is why i responded since you were placing a bit too much meaning into Zodd's speech.

This should be fun.

Berserk, 49-52 (end of Volume 8)

Alright, I think I want to stop reading this, mostly because how wrong I am about everything. :lol

But he really did it. I can't say it's a huge surprise for me, but I guess I didn't want him to leave for Caska's sake. His reasoning isn't even bad or wrong. What did surprise me, however, was the fight between them. I can't believe how easily he brought Griffith to his knees. But I guess that's the difference between a man who's been fighting all his live long and someone, who's busy doing other things, like creating his own kingdom.

6kh8sTK.jpg

And that look on his face, this reaction, it tells me that he won't allow it. He can't let his precious pet, his war toy, go like that. Shit has to hit the fan at this point and judging by your reactions, it should be great.

Kreed

Shingeki no Kyojin 43:

I think this is the first chapter without a crazy surprise at the end (yeah I know the face smash was supposed to be a shock, but I mean plot surprises).

Otherwise the chapter was still great even without any new plot details. I'm assuming at the very least, the armored Titan will escape next week (flame Titan was doomed after decided to swallow his food instead of chewing it).

Wiseblade

Hikaru/Kaoru > Tamaki > Honey > Mori > Casanova > Kyouya

Wut. The twins are like the worst. The Leader guy is the best, followed by the one who hardly talks.

Retcon: Brotkasten, don't visit this thread until you're finished with the flshback. Just read it all. Then we can all have one nice big discussion.

Berserk, 49-52

Alright, I think I want to stop reading this, mostly because how wrong I am about everything. :lol

But he really did it. I can't say it's a huge surprise for me, but I guess I didn't want him to leave for Caska's sake. His reasoning isn't even bad or wrong. What did surprise me, however, was the fight between them. I can't believe how easily he brought Griffith to his knees. But I guess that's the difference between a man who's been fighting all his live long and someone, who's busy doing other things, like creating his own kingdom.

6kh8sTK.jpg

And that look on his face, this reaction, it tells me that he won't allow it. He can't let his precious pet, his war toy, go like that. Shit has to hit the fan at this point and judging by your reactions, it should be great.

Remember the same thing happened last time and Guts lost horribly, so to me it showed that Guts got stronger (not only strength wise but mentally as well)

I'll just say its the scenario that moved all the pieces in place.

Kurita

Shingeki no Kyojin 43:

I think this is the first chapter without a crazy surprise at the end (yeah I know the face smash was supposed to be a shock, but I mean plot surprises).

Otherwise the chapter was still great even without any new plot details. I'm assuming at the very least, the armored Titan will escape next week (flame Titan was doomed after decided to swallow his food instead of chewing it).

I wish SnK were weekly, too.

survivor

Banned
vertical did finally finish that survey (today)

oh well, if only other companies at least share their results. They also did talk about cost of translating novels, like From the New World ($450K, need to sell 4500 copies to break even, etc).
I asked for Again!! and Moteki and chances are neither of them even made it close to the top 20 :(

Seeing how Punpun somehow made it, it reminds me that Vertical did try to license A Girl by the Sea, but they were rejected which really makes no god damn sense. Who does Ohta Shuppan expect to license the manga cause Viz sure as hell isn't picking it up.

upandaway

I missed reading manga
I MISSED READING YOU READING MANGA

Retcon: Brotkasten, don't visit this thread until you're finished with the flshback. Just read it all. Then we can all have one nice big discussion.
Yeah I feel like some people can't help themselves from making calculated comments that could ruin some special feeling possibly

It'll be better to just marathon it and come back to the thread afterwards

Stinky

Viz is jointly owned by Shogakukan and Shueisha, so Viz gets first refusal rights to their titles.

I assume only Viz can have Shogakukan and Shueisha titles.
I might be wrong, I don't really know how it works in the US.

I dont like how Viz has such a monopoly on these things. Though a lot of the stuff I own is from them so I guess I'm to blame, haha. Business is business.

Its better than companies like Tokyopop though, who go under and leave tons of series unfinished.

Kurita

That's weird though. Viz owns Kazé Manga in France but others publishers are still allowed to publish Shueisha/Shogakukan series. Medaka Box is not published by Kazé for instance.
But yeah, Kazé are the ones getting most of the new WSJ series like Kuroko, Beelzebub...
They also seems to be interested in published One Punch Man.

Yeah, stuff like:

might seem innocent, but it can totally colour your expectations for the future.

eh, i think its still somewhat ambigous and you have to think a bit.

I will leave it at that though and agree with you guys about him reading all of that arc then coming back since there are gonna be parts that can be a bit more specific.

That's weird though. Viz owns Kazé Manga in France but others publishers are still allowed to publish Shueisha/Shogakukan series. Medaka Box is not published by Kazé for instance.
But yeah, Kazé are the ones getting most of the new WSJ series like Kuroko, Beelzebub...

I thought it would be strange if Viz passes up a Shueisha/Shogakukan title and then that title is nabbed by the other company and it explodes into the next big hit. Maybe thats why in the us they dont do it (unless they do but charge some high cost?)

Qurupeke

The last few days, I was reading Fairy Tail and I've finally finished it. It was actually really good. A lot of fanservice thought, but I really like the characters. And I think I finished it on a perfect moment.

survivor

Banned

I'd imagine France might have a different deal with the exclusive rights or maybe they just don't want a strong monopoly over the most popular titles. I wonder if it's certain titles that Kaze only goes after cause for example I see that No Longer Heroine is published by Delcourt and that's a Shueisha title.

The weirdest part about the US publishing rights is what Kodansha is doing. They own 46.7% of Vertical which should means that Vertical should have easy access to their properties, but no, they aren't allowed to license their A titles like Fairy Tail, Vinland Saga, or Attack on Titan. These ones go to Kodansha USA, which begs the question, why did they invest in Vertical in the first place.

survivor

Banned
A Bride's Story 27-28
39Iq3Po.jpg

Finally, we are back to the only couple that matters in this series. The twins were nice and fun characters, but they just don't match to Amira and Karluk. One thing interesting thing I never noticed, her name is actually Amir in the Yen Press translations and that's really weird. I guess they got that translation from the author but it really doesn't make sense that her name is Amir (Prince) instead of Amira (Princess).

Oh yeah, the manga is still hinting at the inevitable Russian doom. I really hope there isn't some sudden tonal shift when the Russians start to get more involved in the story. I'm certainly not reading manga to get depressed.

I was rewatching this old video series of Kaoru Mori drawing Amira from the manga and I'm still impressed by the attention to details and how awesome it looks in general. It really makes me wonder if Mori hates having to draw Amira and putting in all these details in every panel she appears in. Yeah, she does get 2 months to draw each chapter, but drawing all these finer aspects of the clothes must not be that much fun. Still, I really appreciate all the effort put in making this amazing art.

Soma

Yaotsukomu 1-3

Not bad so far. Pretty standard shounen stuff but with a weird 'twist': A girl who can't feel pain and her guardian who is immortal. It's the artwork that is what I'm enjoying the most though. I quite like the exaggerated, stylized art of this manga. Reminds me of the art style of Huke, whom I'm a big fan of.

Berserk, 53-72

xE1AUM4.jpg

Everything has been set in motion, indeed.

I decided to take a break, right before the Baakiraka showed up.

It's nice and interesting to see how everything is slowly coming together. Griffith is being reborn in the tower, rising like a Phoenix from the ashes, you might say. Well, not in that state, but I'm sure it's the beginning. The dead, branded people at the bottom of the tower were another nice hint that something weird is going on down there. Not to mention that weird demon creature who called Griffith the Prince and apparently showed him the other dimension. I hope I get to see Griffith's face before everything ends. I can't say I know how Griffith feels, but his monologue in the previous chapter makes me think he went batshit insane. Just a guess, though.

That said, nothing really shocking happened so far. It was nice that Gutts and Caska finally came together and their first time was pretty awkward, thanks to Gutts trauma, but Wiseblade's reaction around that chapter made me think something really serious went down. Ehhh. It's just been really good story progress so far. That is more than good enough, but no train wreck, sorry.

The skull rider being the leader of the demons and apparently the former emperor is most interesting. Judging by their statue, I'd say the Baakiraka are the ones who become Griffith's followers later on, when he turns demon. But I'm probably wrong once again.

Wiseblade

Berserk, 53-72

http://i.imgur.com/xE1AUM4.jpg[img]

Everything has been set in motion, indeed.

I decided to take a break, right before the Baakiraka showed up.

It's nice and interesting to see how everything is slowly coming together. Griffith is being reborn in the tower, rising like a Phoenix from the ashes, you might say. Well, not in that state, but I'm sure it's the beginning. The dead, branded people at the bottom of the tower were another nice hint that something weird is going on down there. Not to mention that weird demon creature who called Griffith the Prince and apparently showed him the other dimension. I hope I get to see Griffith's face before everything ends. I can't say I know how Griffith feels, but his monologue in the previous chapter makes me think he went batshit insane. Just a guess, though.

That said, nothing really shocking happened so far. It was nice that Gutts and Caska finally came together and their first time was pretty awkward, thanks to Gutts trauma, but Wiseblade's reaction around that chapter made me think something really serious went down. Ehhh. It's just been really good story progress so far. That is more than good enough, but no train wreck, sorry.

The skull rider being the leader of the demons and apparently the former emperor is most interesting. Judging by their statue, I'd say the Baakiraka are the ones who become Griffith's followers later on, when he turns demon. But I'm probably wrong once again.[/QUOTE]
My reactions were more to Griffith throwing everything away by sleeping with the Princess and the way Guts reunited with the Hawk.

But seriously, just read it all and don't come back until you have.

Dresden

Ouran High School Host Club vol 1-18 End

I do feel like maybe I should have just watched the anime, since this is a comedy manga and chances are Bones did a good job with the adaptation, but I really got no time for a 26 episodes anime series. Beside, the art for the manga was serviceable and did a good job with the comedic moments, but the extremely shoujo art really did become insufferable, especially after reading all these volumes in a short period of time.
The Igarashi/BONES anime is amazing. I couldn't stand the manga.

Berserk

My reactions were more to Griffith throwing everything away by sleeping with the Princess and the way Guts reunited with the Hawk.

But seriously, just read it all and don't come back until you have.

For some reason, that didn't shock me the slightest. But at that point I thought it would be part of his bigger plan and we know that Griffith is capable of doing and enduring the worst, only for his great plan.

survivor

Banned
The Igarashi/BONES anime is amazing. I couldn't stand the manga.
Ah fuck it, added to the backlog then. I will try to watch it in the next couple months.

Thoughts on Princess Jellyfish? It seems interesting...
Anime was great cause of Brains Base, manga is fantastic as well. You know how josei manga tends to have bad art in general? Well Princess Jellyfish is the complete opposite.

Berserk

For some reason, that didn't shock me the slightest. But at that point I thought it would be part of his bigger plan and we know that Griffith is capable of doing and enduring the worst, only for his great plan.

To me that whole thing showed that he was fucking up since he's usually more careful with his plans. And to your point of enduring, IIRC the last scenario were that happened he always gave the vibe he didn't want that shit to ever happen again.

suzu

Shingeki no Kyojin 43

Armored titan seems pretty unstoppable.

--

Dorohedoro 112

Yay, devils! <3 ..Shin is so going to get his ass kicked by Noi when she recovers.

Wiseblade

Berserk

No way man, there's no coming back from getting caught deflowering a Princess. That's an instant ticket to torture till death.

Retcon: Koganeiro 1-END

That was nice. BUT THE STORY ISN'T FINISHED! Where is my "everyone aced their exams and got to follow their dreams and hooked up and lived happily ever after" epilogue?!

survivor

Banned
Koe no Katachi

Fuck this world :(

The ending was sweet, but fuck these kids and the teacher. And with the news of the manga getting serialized, I have no idea if I will be able to handle reading about all this bullying. I'm not sure how these oneshot -> serialization transitions work, but I imagine the timeskip is gonna be the endgame or maybe the midway point of the manga. So that will be a lot of chapters of rage inducing bullying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom