• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rinne no Lagrange - Akatsuki no Memoria 9

A few hints pointing towards the tv series such as Earth, Lan making an appearance was nice but for things directly related to here (Villaguillio is gone, I wonder how he got in volved with Kirius, Izo, and Array), pretty good developments. Hopefully Kirius and Array can help Izo out.

Articalys

Medaka Box 187

Ahaha, they even included the anime-only characters from the anime's first season final episode on the last page. Nice.

Akito

Medaka Box 187
This seems like a short farewell arc with everybody having one last appearance and I'd be quite ok with that actually but with Nisio you never know. Anyway, I like the idea of this farewell party, gj Zenkichi.

Kusagari

Medaka Box 187

Curious to see how long this will be since Medaka will run through almost everyone instantly. It does kind of feel like this is wrapping up the story but who knows.

Also the last opponent is totally going to be Anshin'in.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Berserk 278

Aw yeah.

Let's get this war started.

Also man, the art has really improved now. It wasn't bad before but it is crazy good now.

upandaway

Medaka Box

It's so un-Medaka Box to have an arc with an actually predictable end (there's no way she'll lose this, Ajimu included). That just naturally makes me suspicious.

I really like how it's set up. We're completely past the point where Nisio bothers to explain how Medaka wins against her opponents, but it'll be nice if we get to see some details anyway.

In the end this is also singlehandedly supported by Medaka's dad's will so who knows what'll happen if he gets involved.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One-punch Man

Of course he gave no fucks about collateral damage.

That shit made me laugh so hard I thought I'd die.

FYC

Banned
Found a really neat used book store with some manga.

p8P9kJT.jpg

I saw a few episodes of this as a kid, don't remember anything about it though.

Kusagari

OPM

The ending with Saitama giving no fucks as shattered meteor death rained upon the city was hilarious.

Now to see how he somehow gets zero credit for this.

wonzo

Banned
Wahjah Moe 38

lmao @ the kid on the left

Medaka Box 187

I'd like to say this is the beginning of the end but I've learnt my lesson. :nisio

Dream Eater Merry 46-57

Now there's no way this isn't ending with this arc. I've also noticed the spaghetti-esque proportions pop up for more than before to the point where it's really jarring at times. It still kinda owns even if the last chapter felt like one hell of an ass pull.

Dresden

the breaker new waves - 20something~110

Read this last night and it went from mediocre to surprisingly competent/enjoyable in the space of like twenty chapters. Sera #1 waifu

wonzo

Banned
Ran and the Gray World 20

Holy moley, this chapter was crazy as hell and the art was even more mesmerising than usual. I can't wait to see where this is gonna lead to next.

also hibi's deff. got this

Antiwhippy

Berserk 294

All these masturbation over griffith is killing me.

KILLING ME.

Edit: omg I just want to punch his smug face.

Antiwhippy

Witness how messiah rise, that vol too beautiful to make me hate Griffith.

That makes me want to punch him even more. Everything is going according to that bastard's plan..

Berserk 325

Cute girls singing to fight a monster.

Idol master really did infect berserk.

7 seeds 2-4

Disturbing carnivores bunnies. The whole island feels like a Venus fly trap. It will feel so good when Natsu develops and becomes strong independent. I am just worried that it will take a while before that happens.

Antiwhippy

7 seeds 2-4

Disturbing carnivores bunnies. The whole island feels like a Venus fly trap. It will feel so good when Natsu develops and becomes strong independent. I am just worried that it will take a while before that happens.

It is, but don't worry, she won't really be a major part of the manga at all.

7 seeds 2-4

Don't worry you'll have the strong independent desperate for the d from her bf character Hana to take over the main character role soon

Steroyd

I guess I just feel more connected to Natsu than to Lucy.

All of the death scenes I hate or felt that there were alternatives for were always involving my key characters.

But you've gone as far as to say that deaths in medium is "terrible writing", to say that stance only applies to characters you like personally seems unfair.

One Punch Man

Well that issue is settled, lol.

Antiwhippy

Berserk 333

All caught up now. The sea god arc was pretty good, though it ultimately felt like filler. Seems like we might finally get to see how rickert will deal with griffith.

Overall I'd say it was pretty damn good. Downhill after the Golden age but the rest are still pretty good, it just couldn't maintain how well paced the golden age story was. Does feel like the author is kinda spinning his wheels at this point.

But you've gone as far as to say that deaths in medium is "terrible writing", to say that stance only applies to characters you like personally seems unfair.

If I cant connect with a character then its difficult to feel intimately connected to them, and I guess hard to care for their fate in the medium. For Lucy, I don't feel as strongly against this death scene than I did towards others in other series, it certainly didn't anger and depress me as the major one in say jjba pt2 anime or one pieces that Ill never forgive and forget. I didn't really even praise this scene or chapter (beyond the cover and, as always, Natsu). If I gauge the quality of writing for this death scene, then yes, Id still say that, even written by Mashima, it was a terrible scene. Most of the other death scenes are bad because they make me feel emotions that writing ought not make us feel, we should feel tears of joy and be left feeling good not crying and mourning our characters that have been with us through many numerous chapters. So that is why writers must avoid death scenes.

Juggling alternatives for this scene, maybe if spread out over two chapters, it could have made it more powerful. Additionally the only good aspect or odd aspect is the character chosen to die was just not with us long enough to have lasting effects, if it was present Lucy, the one that journeyed with us from pretimeskip and been with us from day one, then maybe tears would have flowed from her death. Future Lucy has only been with us for such a short time and her true identity was even questioned at some point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom