• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

I want to catch up on berserk left off at the end of "burn the heretics arc", it's probably my favorite manga but am afraid I'll get to the part with all the godamn loli's that's talked about so much :s

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Shokugeki no Soma

Another setup chapter for the most part. A new rival appears that will probably become a friend later on. We're probably 2 chapters away from any real reactions though. :(

I love Berserk I just been spending a lot of free time playing mh3u and legocity. Will post impressions of the lost child arc which I'm fairly close to finishing in a bit

Shokugeki no Soma 16
tumblr_inline_mk4c07IJCt1qz4rgp.png

Takumi Aldini is an excellent character, and I hope he becomes friends with Yukihara Soma. They already have similar backstory and he has interesting personality. I want them both to succeed especially since they can really relate. For the competition, I wonder what dish Soma will make as he did fish like every other student, while the Aldini' bros at least did something else.

Tacitus_

I want to catch up on berserk left off at the end of "burn the heretics arc", it's probably my favorite manga but am afraid I'll get the part with all the godamn loli's that's talked about so much :s

Most of the loli complaints are exaggerated and/or jokes. You may have met Isidoro already and then there's Schierke, who's actually a pretty cool character once she adjusts into the team.

7 seeds 2-4

Disturbing carnivores bunnies. The whole island feels like a Venus fly trap. It will feel so good when Natsu develops and becomes strong independent. I am just worried that it will take a while before that happens.
Yeah, her character development is really slow, but she's just one of many characters.

7Th

Yeah, her character development is really slow, but she's just one of many characters.

Well, she is still one of the main characters. As much as the focus switches around in 7 Seeds, the protagonists of the story are clearly Natsu and Hana.

I like her, tho.

Well, she is still one of the main characters. As much as the focus switches around in 7 Seeds, the protagonists of the story are clearly Natsu and Hana.

I like her, tho.
I disagree. Natsu and Hana are important but the manga goes more of an ensemble feel.

Cwarrior

He might mean the moth demon.

I've been past the moth demon arc I left off after the demise of the holy burn those heretic arc the one with the demon priest, last I read was nearly 2 years ago stopped when they got ambushed by those brown people.

I just don't want to see my fav manga devolve into moelolis doing mundane things.

7Th

I disagree. Natsu and Hana are important but the manga goes more of an ensemble feel.

It's not a clear cut and it goes for ensemble feel, but other than the flashback chapters Hana or Natsu are always around.
Plus, pretty much everyone seems to treat Hana as if she a "chosen one" of sorts...

Stulaw

I've been reading Berserk, I'm up to chapter 265 right now, and I'm thinking of just buying the volumes, since the translator of the scans can somehow translate from Japanese, but can't get primary school English correct. Especially with the using 'then' instead of 'than' and vice-versa, ergh, it's like an average gaming forum poster.

Anyway, it's been really good so far, and I'll enjoy reading it again, although from what I've read on Wikipedia, everything's in a different order.

Cwarrior

Yeah, she's pretty likable I'd say. Better than ishidora anyway as far as child characters go.

haven't got to her, but ishidora pretty awesome his mischievous antic and attitude to the stuff around him is fun to watch also I think am the only one that likes the first fairy that follows guts around(his 4th wall humor pretty good like his saint seiya references).

The only characters I dislike in berserk universe so far are farnese and that dumb girl from the moth arc.

Why do all the translation of berserk have missing speech bubbles, some times entire pages are untranslated.

Okujouhime 1-21 (END)

Highschool romance featuring [MC] and [student council president] and [childhood friend]. Shooting the entire cast at the beginning of the first chapter would've improved it.

Wiseblade

Random question: How many popular romance manga are there where the first girl doesn't win? In basically everything I can think of, the outcome is obvious by the third chapter.

7Th

Random question: How many popular romance manga are there where the first girl doesn't win? In basically everything I can think of, the outcome is obvious by the third chapter.

Ichigo 100%; the winner was decided by popular vote and it wasn't the "main girl".

And there are plenty of shoujo manga where the first guy doesn't win.

Well that explains why the ending was such bullshit.

How so? I'm interesting in this reasoning considering it's the father of modern harem shit.

Mutsumi is presented as the first girl but ultimately it's Naru even though Mutsumi was first and she stepped aside for Naru's sake

I want to say Negima, but there were no winners with the way that ended.

If you count it as "popular", Molester Man fits the bill.

Cwarrior

Mutsumi is presented as the first girl but ultimately it's Naru even though Mutsumi was first and she stepped aside for X's sake

Don't really care what you guys are talking about but dumb cliche manga/anime rom dialogue makes me want to barf, when reading them or hearing them.

Solanin- end
Perhaps because I'm in my early 20s and a college student, but this manga really hit home. Probably would even more if I read this after I graduated(whenever that is;hopefully in a year -.-). The characters are great and likeable. I think what Asano said just describes it perfectly:
“There’s nothing cool about these characters. They’re just your average 20-somethings who blend into the backdrop of the city. But the most important messages in our lives don’t come from the musicians on stage or stars on television. They come from the average people all around you, the ones who are just feet from where you stand.”
Did anyone see the movie? Is it any good compared to the manga?

Inio Asano is officially my favorite mangaka after reading most of his works, saving his second top rated on myanimelist last to read. All that left to read is the girl by the sea vol 2, which I just picked up yesterday.

MCD

Ichigo 100%; the winner was decided by popular vote and it wasn't the "main girl".

Main girl was garbage so this was great.

And your avatar is DISTURBING.

Kreed

Onepunch Man 26:

The landing scene at the end of the chapter with the "realistic" styled backgrounds was a bit of an eye sore compared to everything else in this chapter/past weeks (excluding the final panel). But the pay off and the chapter overall was great, even though I was kind of hoping Genos would save the day this time.

Wiseblade

That is the best idea ever.

Define first girl. Was Yuki or Eba one?

And while the textbook definition of the first girl would be "the first female character the audience sees", I feel like there's a little more flexibility to it than that.

Eba was the first female character introduced in Rage Town and was the "first girl". Shou was the first female character shown, but Yuki was the first formally introduced and the "first girl" of Rage End. Same deal with Haruna and Lala in TLR. Missunderstanding was definitely the "first girl" in Molester Man but that's based on a "true story" and not really the mainstream work I was looking for.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Onepunch Man 26:

The landing scene at the end of the chapter with the "realistic" styled backgrounds was a bit of an eye sore compared to everything else in this chapter/past weeks (excluding the final panel). But the pay off and the chapter overall was great, even though I was kind of hoping Genos would save the day this time.

I was just waiting for him to Worf that meteor. I needs my punchlines.

Cwarrior

Berserk 175

Griffiths is back(to human form) looking more like a chick then ever.

After taking nearly 2 years off berserk reading other stuff then now coming back to it, I have to say Berserk has best art to ever feature in a manga, the amount of detail in art is insane for a manga and the art style looks like nothing out there.

Wiseblade

Berserk 175

Griffiths is back(to human form) looking more like a chick then ever.

After taking nearly 2 years off berserk reading other stuff then now coming back to it, I have to say Berserk has best art to ever feature in a manga, the amount of detail in art is insane for a manga and the art style looks like nothing out there.

Murata says hi.

survivor

Banned
Solanin- end
Perhaps because I'm in my early 20s and a college student, but this manga really hit home. Probably would even more if I read this after I graduated(whenever that is;hopefully in a year -.-). The characters are great and likeable. I think what Asano said just describes it perfectly:

Did anyone see the movie? Is it any good compared to the manga?
I have yet to see the movie, but most reviews I read said it was just straight adaptation that didn't do anything special. I suppose hearing the concert at the end will be worth it.

Inio Asano is officially my favorite mangaka after reading most of his works, saving his second top rated on myanimelist last to read. All that left to read is the girl by the sea vol 2, which I just picked up yesterday.
brofist, Asano is my favourite mangaka as well.

Does your last sentence imply that you can read Japanese and will be reading the conclusion to Girl by the Sea soon? Cause if so I'm super jelly right now.

Akito

And while the textbook definition of the first girl would be "the first female character the audience sees", I feel like there's a little more flexibility to it than that.

Eba was the first female character introduced in Rage Town and was the "first girl". Shou was the first female character shown, but Yuki was the first formally introduced and the "first girl" of Rage End. Same deal with Haruna and Lala in TLR. Missunderstanding was definitely the "first girl" in Molester Man but that's based on a "true story" and not really the mainstream work I was looking for.
Gotcha. Not terribly many come to mind that's for sure. I guess H2 should count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom