• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akito

If you want to rate a manga on MU you have to add it to a list and go to that list instead of being able to do so directly on that manga's page. I like to rate my stuff and I read tons of oneshots and short series so adding and rating them is much more comfortable on MAL.

MAL
MU

Stinky

I think I'd reach manga nirvana if I had that many of my reading list.

Enable ratings, I wanna see those reviews! Its a checkbox at the end of your lists. Unless you're one of those plebs that doesn't rate anything, which is cool too.

Akito, I thought so too for a while but below all the reviews there is a submit rating with 10 radio buttons

Enable ratings, I wanna see those reviews! Its a checkbox at the end of your lists. Unless you're one of those plebs that doesn't rate anything, which is cool too.

I dont rate anything I read. I just separate in two camps: what I enjoy reading and what I dont.

dumbyugi

I'm very lazy with rating things I read. Well over half of my reading list isn't rated, same with my complete list.

survivor

Banned
I gave up on rating shit I read. The 10 points scale is too big and it's hard for me to assign arbitrary points to stuff. All what I know is that Solanin and Planetes are 10 and everything else is either good enough to read or crap and should be avoided.

That's why you use MAL. Superior UI.

and you can malgraph your manga
tumblr_mk57zlydBB1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

dumbyugi

I'm actually still pretty perplexed at why I can't register on MU.

Do they not take gmail accounts or something?

I had the same problem when I joined. I created a new account with a different e-mail and username and it worked. My gmail didn't work but my hotmail did.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Come on. He's not Richie from Highlander bad.

I've never watched highlander, but even as recently as the sea god arc he still does stuff that makes me go "dude, are you trying to get yourself killed?"

He's waaaaay better than he was before but goddamn if he doesn't still get into some really dumb stuff.

I had the same problem when I joined. I created a new account with a different e-mail and username and it worked. My gmail didn't work but my hotmail did.

Alright' i-ll try a hot mail account.

Soma

reading
silver spoon - on vol. 2
seven deadly sins - caught up on
magi - on vol. 3
jojo part 1 - on vol. 4
natsu no zenjitsu - caught up on
i am a hero - caught up on
kono s o, mi yo! - on vol. 6
vinland saga - on vol. 3
ran and the gray world - about to start this
the voynich hotel - waiting for more chapters to come out
biomega - on vol. 2
binbougami ga! - on vol... 6 or 7 i can't remember

+ other stuff like shingeki no kyoujin, medaka box, etc.

i should start adding manga to my MAL

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I've never watched highlander, but even as recently as the sea god arc he still does stuff that makes me go "dude, are you trying to get yourself killed?"

He's waaaaay better than he was before but goddamn if he doesn't still get into some really dumb stuff.
If you have Netflix, give season one a watch to witness the stupidest, most annoying character since The Beaver.

http://youtu.be/PrHf7ehG38I

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ran of the gray world 1-20

This is a pretty charming series. Love the vivid imagery when they use magic as well as the creativity. Ran is kind of an idiot but that's to be expected at her age, though it's pretty jarring whenever she transforms into her adult self.

Also Hibi and Ran is obviously the best couple. I do find it quite funny how an adult and a child is in a rivalry with the same love interest without being too creepy.

Popstar

Think he's talking about the chapter that explains the void/afterlife/devils in greater detail

Alright, it seems like it was chapter Chapter 83 ("God of the Abyss (2)" before getting cut and become "Armour To The Heart"). It's a direct conversation between Griffith and God, pretty insightful stuff. But I did read it back in the day without even realizing it.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

Berserk "Lost Chapter"

I think the most interesting thing is that "God" says that Griffith is free to do whatever he wants. He could become a true saviour if he wished. He isn't under any control or duress to "do evil" now that he's become Femto.

To Aru Majutsu no Index - The Miracle of Endymion 02

And here are a bunch of girls that Touma will probably punch sometime in the movie!

survivor

Banned
Love Roma vol 1

So they started dating and kissing and met the parents all in one volume. I wish Good Ending had this type of pacing.

Hoshino is a good MC and very refreshing to see someone like him. Also, while the art isn't very manga-like, it's really showing its weakness. There is a limited number of facial expressions that are just being repeated over and over again so it gets really hard to relate to the characters and know how they are feeling.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

Berserk "Lost Chapter"

I think the most interesting thing is that "God" says that Griffith is free to do whatever he wants. He could become a true saviour if he wished. He isn't under any control or duress to "do evil" now that he's become Femto.

Yes but "God" says that he's the ID, all of humanity's dark thoughts. So I'm wondering if there is an opposite. If this guy was all the darkness, is there something that is all of the light?

Also yea he says Griffith can choose what to do, but the very act of even choosing to make the sacrifice shows what he'll choose to do. Griffith already made that choice, it wasn't even much of a choice since it was all preordained. The truth if Griffith never had a choice, from his upbringing to the events that shaped him, this "God" manipulated it all.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wouldn't the opposite be the natural forces schierke and the other witches draw their power from?

Probably, but right now I see that as more of a neutral force. Neither bad nor good, just existing. I think we'll learn about the counterpart to the God Griffith talked to at Fairy Island, their powers do seem to be the polar opposite of the demons (the fairy cave could keep them out).

Popstar

Berserk Lost Chapter talk
Yes but "God" says that he's the ID, all of humanity's dark thoughts. So I'm wondering if there is an opposite. If this guy was all the darkness, is there something that is all of the light?

Also yea he says Griffith can choose what to do, but the very act of even choosing to make the sacrifice shows what he'll choose to do. Griffith already made that choice, it wasn't even much of a choice since it was all preordained. The truth if Griffith never had a choice, from his upbringing to the events that shaped him, this "God" manipulated it all.
It was all preordained but there's an interesting sort of feedback loop going on. "God" is controlling all of humanity but at the same time is itself a creation of humanity.

I don't see an opposite, an Idea of Good, really fitting in with the Berserk universe. I think something more like the ego to the Idea's id being more likely. The Skull Knight might be a manifestation of mankind's desire for self-determination or somesuch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Berserk Lost Chapter talk
It was all preordained but there's an interesting sort of feedback loop going on. "God" is controlling all of humanity but at the same time is itself a creation of humanity.

I don't see an opposite, an Idea of Good, really fitting in with the Berserk universe. I think something more like the ego to the Idea's id being more likely. The Skull Knight might be a manifestation of mankind's desire for self-determination or somesuch.

The very fact that Gutts is there to oppose Griffith is telling though, it means that there is something working against "God" as someone surviving a sacrifice is almost unheard of. Odds are Skull Knight was the same as Gutts at some point in the past, sacrificed by his friend for power.

Lain

Ran of the gray world 1-20

This is a pretty charming series. Love the vivid imagery when they use magic as well as the creativity. Ran is kind of an idiot but that's to be expected at her age, though it's pretty jarring whenever she transforms into her adult self.

Also Hibi and Ran is obviously the best couple. I do find it quite funny how an adult and a child is in a rivalry with the same love interest without being too creepy.

Another one for Team Hibi? When will this madness end?!

Berserk

The very fact that Gutts is there to oppose Griffith is telling though, it means that there is something working against "God" as someone surviving a sacrifice is almost unheard of. Odds are Skull Knight was the same as Gutts at some point in the past, sacrificed by his friend for power.

Could be why Gut's luck is pretty much broken (other from author intent) and Skull Knight can still be a current example since he's still around after using the tool's Guts now wields (aka the Armor).

@ bold: it looks like the culprit might have been Void.

survivor

Banned
Number Five vol 2
FXXue4L.jpg

These Rainbow Council members are going down pretty fast. I really wonder who will 5 be fighting for the next six volumes.

I'm having very hard time relating to the characters in this manga. Everyone just feels so disconnected and emotionless. I'm not even sure which scenes are supposed to be sad or sentimental or tragic cause I know nothing about these characters. Sadly with the way things are going, this won't be another Takemitsu Zamurai or Ping Pong.

Popstar

Berserk
Could be why Gut's luck is pretty much broken (other from author intent) and Skull Knight can still be a current example since he's still around after using the tool's Guts now wields (aka the Armor).

@ bold: it looks like the culprit might have been Void.

If Void has the Skull Knight and Femto has Guts, it makes me wonder if the other three also had a nemesis created when they became part of God Hand and if so what happened to them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Food Smut

This guy's gonna get defeat equals friendshiped.

Number Five vol 2
FXXue4L.jpg

These Rainbow Council members are going down pretty fast. I really wonder who will 5 be fighting for the next six volumes.

I'm having very hard time relating to the characters in this manga. Everyone just feels so disconnected and emotionless. I'm not even sure which scenes are supposed to be sad or sentimental or tragic cause I know nothing about these characters. Sadly with the way things are going, this won't be another Takemitsu Zamurai or Ping Pong.

I saw it as more of absurdist sci-fi craziness than a story where we were supposed to relate to characters.

Piecake

Berserk

If Void has the Skull Knight and Femto has Guts, it makes me wonder if the other three also had a nemesis created when they became part of God Hand and if so what happened to them.

I would be pretty surprised if that is the case. Or if it is actually true, they play any sort of role. It would simply be redundant and a poor narrative to repeat the same thing 3 more times and flesh it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom