• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

The Seven Deadly Sins / Nanatsu no Taizai 1-19

Nothing mind-blowing, but it's pretty entertaining so far. I like it.

Blade of the Immortal 201

Makiiiiiiieeee...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nicoichi

UbmSJ9Pl.jpg

This is a story about the love and hardships of a 29 year-old guy named Makoto Suda. Makoto is an ordinary office worker in every sense but one: in front of Takashi, his stepchild, he has disguised himself as a woman and played the role of a beautiful mother. While leading this life of a “fatherless family”, he falls in love with a woman. One morning he happens to see her on a crowded train, but…

So someone took the okama storyline from Gintama and crossed it with Usagi Drop... and somehow, this is still less weird than the second half of Usagi Drop. lol

Slam Dunk 100 - 133
tumblr_mk6mlsij4F1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Was really an entirely baffling set of events, how does a team with the all star first year, that even Kiyota seemed afraid of, the epically awesome Rukawa, the king of rebounds, the tensai even, Sakuragi, the MVP Mitsui, and great point guard Miyagi, with Gori, and the legendary coach Anzai, lose. I havent been this disappointed with a series in awhile. At least in the case of the other basketball series I encountered, the loss was actually believable since the opponent was just a true monster of the generation of miracles and no way could misdirection help in that case. I dont know, it was just hard to read that page against Ryonan when Sakuragi was all crying, I didnt expect to be caught up in tears in this, I want to be left all pumped up and cheering as they blow their way against the other teams bad thoughts about Shokoku as they completely obliterate the competition and win. Hopefully no more loses or close encounters

Best moment was easily Rukawa being a one man team and managing to keep them in the game and so close to catching up, definitely the true star. I want to see Sendoh play for real.

Akito

Ultra Red v3
Sen vs. Gorou was kinda a letdown, a female fighter has no place in my hot blooded battle manga. No but seriously, Gorou is supposed to be this strong girl who wants to prove that girls can win against boys and then got shafted with a quick but useless fighting style if her opponent can take some punches. It also doesn't help that she loses in the first real fight we see her participating in even though it was against the MC.
Even Taiga vs. Wanatabe was more entertaining and that was a total beat down. Only one volume left, this cannot end well.

Blazblue Remix Heart 1

Thought I give this a chance since I'm in need of some Blazblue. Don't really have an opinion on Mai besides looking alot like Dizzy from Guilty Gear. Kinda spoiled myself on the "reveal" before reading though it was pretty apparent when Mai was going in the wrong restroom. Art is nice and while I'm not exactly keen on the story, I am kinda interested in seeing the girls/Jin time at the academy.

Also while I do appreciate the fanservice, I'm not really into seeing a naked Makoto, Tsubaki, and especially Noel.

One Piece 671-672

After reading Berserk for a while, it's hard going back to One Piece.

The art is a mess, many panels are full of crap and there seems to be a lack of focus. This constant going back and forth between the scenes is really annoying. Luffy was able to grab Caesar thanks to his haki and the gas didn't have an effect on him, because something about Impel Down. Cut, next scene back to Law, who's on the floor and talking to a person I don't remember. Monet is some kind of spy, okay. Law gets beaten down, again. Cut, back to Luffy, Robin and Franky, who are suddenly all unconscious. Apparently Caesar beat them all without touching them. Conquerer haki was mentioned. What, but Luffy knows that shit, how could he be affected by some weak ass guy like Caesar. Cut, back to Zoro and Sanji. Samurai dude gets his body back, can cut fire. Cool. Zoro gets curious.

Looks like I have to get used to this style of story telling again.

survivor

Banned
Sora no Shita Yane no Naka vol 1-2 End

Have I fallen so low that I'm getting life lessons about finding employment from a moe NEET girl?

Decent 4koma about job hunting with a nice ending.

You used to be cool man, you used to be cool.

For what it's worth, I didn't drop it cause it was bad, I just sorta forgot about it.

Akito

Ultra Red v4 (end)
Good lord Yuu's and his father's background story was ridiculously cheesy and stereotyped, all the drama because of some miscommunication. Yuu vs. Sen was full of asspulls but still fun so I didn't mind that the grand finale got mostly skipped over. It would not have make much sense for them to go all out with such injuries anyway. At least we got the whole tournament which I wasn't so sure of. Let's act like the open plot line which got brought into play right before the end doesn't exist and move on.

Overall it was a forgettable experience, the art may be nice but there are way better martial arts manga than this, the "got axed"-like ending doesn't help either. I just wanted to set myself into the mood for Kongou Banchou before starting with Nanatsu no Taizai. I wished I just could have started with Nanatsu no Taizai right away like a normal person.

One Piece 674

God, just shut up, Nami. The kids are clearly out of their mind. Just give them a good spanking and beat them unconscious.

Seven Deadly Sins is weird. It's both annoying and charming at the same time. The stupid cliched groping humor out and the dragged out battles with fodder enemies are so frustrating to read, but it's also got a personality and an adventurous sensibility that you don't see in something like Fairy Tail.

Uh.

No, you are just an idiot.

No need to be a dick about it.

Wiseblade

Magi

Usually I'm immune to these sort of "We're in this together!" speeches, but for some reason this caught me right in the feels.

I think we need to call of a police search party for Mor. With helicopters and everything.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are we talking overall or just Usagi Drop vol 1-4? Cause if it's the latter then it's gonna be tough to surpass it.
It's a bit of a joke and they're not really that comparable. lol

Nicoichi is more a comedy about the main character's hijinks as a father-mother more than about his relationship with his kid. That comes up much later on, but it's mostly about his romcom hijinks with the non-blond in the picture.

Yonafunu

Berserk, caught up

Anyway, after getting back to the main story, it's once again pretty clear how Griffith screwed the world over. Humans won't be safe anymore. And I'm not sure why Rickert, who I didn't recognize at all, was stupid enough to mention that he was part of the original hawks. Hey idiot, Griffith sacrificed your whole group and these people are brining you straight to him.

Falconia does look like a paradise. Hitler would've been jealous. :lol

Come on man, it's not like Griffith sacrificed everyone just for the sake of it. It's not like he actively wants to kill the enitire old band for no reason. He already achieved his goal.

Come on man, it's not like Griffith sacrificed everyone just for the sake of it. It's not like he actively wants to kill the enitire old band for no reason. He already achieved his goal.

While that's true, Rickert knows the truth. Not that anyone would believe him, but it could still cause some disruption. If I were Griffith, I wouldn't take any chances.

Yonafunu

While that's true, Rickert knows the truth. Not that anyone would believe him, but it could still cause some disruption. If I were Griffith, I wouldn't take any chances.

Then why didn't Griffith kill him back at the graveyard of swords? He even had Zodd with him, Gutts wouldn't have been a problem.

upandaway

Hayate

That's.. that's definitely a first for me. I've never seen a manga spoil itself in the meta commentary.

And it wasn't some small thing, they went ahead and gave away the clutch of the entire arc. Blows my mind, man.

Kiba no Tabishounin - The Arms Peddler 1-40

I don't remember who recommended this, but it's pretty good.

The real star here is the setting. The setting is interesting as hell, always excited to see where it goes next.

Yonafunu

The real star here is the setting. The setting is interesting as hell, always excited to see where it goes next.

It gets good? I started this a year ago but it's didn't hold my interest at all.

EDIT:

I don't know and yes, it seems like Griffith wouldn't kill him, but it still seems like a stupid idea to mention such a thing.

Meh. Again I don't think Griffith is evil at all, nor is he really a bad guy. He's ambitious.

Glad you liked it. Hoping the translations dont take too long.

Hayate 400

Did... did they just use the anime as an excuse to spoil upcoming events in the manga? That's some Medaka Box-level meta trolling right there.

Yonafunu

Eh...kind of?

Like I said, it's mainly the setting that does it for me.

If you weren't intrigued by the setting immediately then it's probably not worth getting into.

Well, I started it at the same time I started Berserk, so that would explain why I never continued. I'll give it another try later, maybe when I've caught up with Yotsubato! (if I ever).

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
One Piece 671-672

After reading Berserk for a while, it's hard going back to One Piece.

[Peeps The Truth]

Looks like I have to get used to this style of story telling again.
After marathoning Berserk endlessly (I'm on 313, almost caught up... X_X) and then starting up Vagabond, One Piece reads like shit.

survivor

Banned
It's a bit of a joke and they're not really that comparable. lol

Nicoichi is more a comedy about the main character's hijinks as a father-mother more than about his relationship with his kid. That comes up much later on, but it's mostly about his romcom hijinks with the non-blond in the picture.

Oh. Well that doesn't sound that bad really.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
You started Vagabond?
Give us the updates/impressions!
I actually started it in the middle of Berserk, which was a bad idea. I never got past chapter 6. Now that I'm about to be done Berserk, I'm going to start Vagabond again from the beginning with impressions.

After marathoning Berserk endlessly (I'm on 313, almost caught up... X_X) and then starting up Vagabond, One Piece reads like shit.
I know it does, but I want to catch up and be done with it. As I said before, I actually like One Piee n a weekly basis.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. I might start Vagabond, but I think I need a different setting first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom