• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Hayate 400

Did... did they just use the anime as an excuse to spoil upcoming events in the manga? That's some Medaka Box-level meta trolling right there.
Until actual events in the manga (and not just meta-narration) directly begin to correlate with events in the movie and third anime, I will maintain my view that Heaven is a Place on Earth and Can't Take My Eyes Off You remain an alternate continuity.

Magi

Am I the only one who thinks that Magi has gotten a bit boring lately? Stuff is happening all the time but I have a hard time caring about any of the characters involved. I liked it better before they split :/

survivor

Banned
Kaiji Part 3 - vol 1

Let's play 17 Steps.

That last chapter was confusing as fuck. So many random ass terms thrown at me and I got no clue what any of them meant. There is a guide at the end of the volume and I should be reading it but this feels like homework. I don't wanna study to be able to understand a manga.

Akito

Magi

Am I the only one who thinks that Magi has gotten a bit boring lately? Stuff is happening all the time but I have a hard time caring about any of the characters involved. I liked it better before they split :/
Yeah, I miss my dungeon exploring action. And Mor. Mostly Mor. But now with the Kou Empire's involvement I'm expecting exciting developments.

Until actual events in the manga (and not just meta-narration) directly begin to correlate with events in the movie and third anime, I will maintain my view that Heaven is a Place on Earth and Can't Take My Eyes Off You remain an alternate continuity.

..I thought everyone thought that when they were first announced. *shrugs*

Diablos54

Magi

Agreed. But only because I miss Mor kicking the crap outta people. Hopefully now that Aladdin and Alibaba are back together, Mor isn't far behind.

wonzo

Banned
Before Dawn and the End of the World
beforedawnandtheendoftheworld.png

This was an awesome collection of oneshots by da gawd Asano. There were some really nice colour pages and double page spreads in this and I'd have to say the 3 Parter about the dad going missing for a couple of days was easily my favourite of the bunch. Now if only someone would translate the second volume of A Girl by the Sea already. :(

survivor

Banned
Before Dawn and the End of the World

This was an awesome collection of oneshots by da gawd Asano. There were some really nice colour pages and double page spreads in this and I'd have to say the 3 Parter about the dad going missing for a couple of days was easily my favourite of the bunch. Now if only someone would translate the second volume of A Girl by the Sea already. :(

Yep, that was my favourite part of the collection as well. It's probably the only story I even remember from the manga.

Big One

Banned
After marathoning Berserk endlessly (I'm on 313, almost caught up... X_X) and then starting up Vagabond, One Piece reads like shit.
There's nothing wrong with how One Piece reads. One Piece is how normal comics are supposed to be written and paneled like, unlike the garbage you see in Bleach which are just anime storyboards that aren't scribbles.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
There's nothing wrong with how One Piece reads. One Piece is how normal comics are supposed to be written and paneled like, unlike the garbage you see in Bleach which are just anime storyboards that aren't scribbles.
HA HA HA

DAMN HA HA HA

dumbyugi

Why did you bring Bleach up when he was comparing it to Beserk and Vagabond?

Cwarrior

Berserk 183

why has God's beard appeared before us?Griffiths is really god's beard? oh yeah the falcon of light has appeared to save midland.

yeah right

Am pleased and surprised griffths and guts had a confrontation so early after his return and exchanged a few words.

berserk ch184

oh god Am on loli territory now

So we finally meet infamous loli, know this you will not break me or take my love of beserk away for me, for I have been training mentally for the last 2 years on "that thread" for the moment theses things began to show up in berserk as Miura became terminally ill with the loli virus.

commando-o.gif

Am ready, lets do this.

/crazy rant

wonzo

Banned
Yep, that was my favourite part of the collection as well. It's probably the only story I even remember from the manga.
Yeah, it being much longer than the other ones definitely gave it more space to tie all the characters together really effectively.

Piecake

Berserk 183

oh god Am on loli territory now

So we finally meet infamous loli, know this you will not break me or take my love of beserk away for me, for I have been training mentally for the last 2 years on "that thread" for the moment theses things began to show in berserk as Miura is terminally ill with loli virus.

/crazy rant

Perhaps I am forgetting a huge loli moment or something, but she has never really bothered me and I kinda like her character. I always took her liking Guts as a little kids innocent crush/infatuation that many get.

Probably happened because its the first dude that she can relate to, Guts being all demon fighting magically awesome, so he is in 'her world'

I always got the impression that Issidoro and her and going to eventually get together

Not a plot spoiler or anything, just thought id be safe

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Berserk
Perhaps I am forgetting a huge loli moment or something, but she has never really bothered me and I kinda like her character. I always took her liking Guts as a little kids innocent crush/infatuation that many get.

Probably happened because its the first dude that she can relate to, Guts being all demon fighting magically awesome, so he is in 'her world'

I always got the impression that Issidoro and her and going to eventually get together.
These are exactly my feelings on the entire situation. Her having a crush on Guts isn't really surprising at all nor is it a problem cause she knows how Guts feels about things involving that kind of shit.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I always got the impression that Issidoro and her and going to eventually get together

Yeah others made her out way worse than she actually is.

/paging brotkasten. :p

Berserk

Agreed even on the possible ship. lol

Plus as long as you place the title of what you are talking in bold and at the top you will be fine, no need for tags

Cwarrior

Berserk

These are exactly my feelings on the entire situation. Her having a crush on Guts isn't really surprising at all nor is it a problem cause she knows how Guts feels about things involving that kind of shit.

StarTrekFacePalm.gif

tumblr_m84b5txkNh1r76lino1_250.gif

Oh god, give me strength, for I have made a huge mistake.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Seriously, unless you have an inherent dislike for child characters she's fine.

Also you'll meet isidora soon who is waaaaay worst. Unless by now isidora is already part of Gut's party? Can't remember.

survivor

Banned
Kaiji

Ok, after reading up on mahjong I think I got the hang of the tiles, the win conditions, and the basic rules. Only problem is the winning hands have their own names depending on the points and combination of tiles so now I gotta look that up as well.

The last chapter of the first volume is making more sense now, but I still feel like I won't be able to read the situation that well since I don't know the many different winning hands and their points.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Does Baby Steps showcase tennis pretty decently?

It cannot entirely escape from the usual "omg this guy is so extremely talented" shenanigans typically shown by this type of manga, but overall tennis is pictured pretty good in it.

Much better than the Prince of Tennis, at least, where a bunch of bishounens middle-schoolers can school Federer or Nadal with their hands tied behind their backs with their ridiculous ninja-like tennis moves.

upandaway

Kaiji

Ok, after reading up on mahjong I think I got the hang of the tiles, the win conditions, and the basic rules. Only problem is the winning hands have their own names depending on the points and combination of tiles so now I gotta look that up as well.

The last chapter of the first volume is making more sense now, but I still feel like I won't be able to read the situation that well since I don't know the many different winning hands and their points.
Like I said it's mostly the same 10 or so terms for hands that are used the most regularly. If you know them you won't even need to know any others.
Because the end chapter notes have those explanations, just caption those every time you come across new ones and put it in a handy location, and it'll work itself out. It's off memory, but for the last 7 or so volumes I don't remember a single help page that had a term not mentioned previously.

Other than that, you'll probably be clear once you get a feel for what you need to spend some seconds understanding and what you can just brush off (for example any relevant part of the board will always be on screen, so you don't have to remember what's the current strategy and you can jump into any explanation at any moment even if you dozed off for the past chapter so you never have to reread anything).

Kinda surprised I could even write this post right now because my brain is completely fried after ~16 straight hours of S;G two days in a row. can't stoppppp

Big One

Banned
Why did you bring Bleach up when he was comparing it to Beserk and Vagabond?
Cause he's an avid Bleach fan.

I really don't see that much difference between some of the paneling in those two manga than in One Piece. Berserk for example can get really busy too. But like One Piece, there's absolutely nothing incoherent about it. Maybe if you guys actually payed a little attention to what's going on rather than skimming the pages like plebeians this wouldn't be a problem.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I really don't see that much difference between some of the paneling in those two manga than in One Piece. Berserk for example can get really busy too. But like One Piece, there's absolutely nothing incoherent about it. Maybe if you guys actually payed a little attention to what's going on rather than skimming the pages like plebeians this wouldn't be a problem.

Do you always feel the need to imply your "superior manga-reading ways" to anyone that disagree with your opinion?

In any event, I should probably read Berserk too; I only read it for about 10 chapters and that's it. From the looks of it it seems interesting.

Vinland Saga 92

The going into the light part was stupid, just like most parts in this series which try to be a serious consideration of the ethical dilemmas inherent to Viking society. I did enjoy the part where that one guy cut off the heads of a bunch of other guys.

survivor

Banned
Like I said it's mostly the same 10 or so terms for hands that are used the most regularly. If you know them you won't even need to know any others.
Because the end chapter notes have those explanations, just caption those every time you come across new ones and put it in a handy location, and it'll work itself out. It's off memory, but for the last 7 or so volumes I don't remember a single help page that had a term not mentioned previously.

Other than that, you'll probably be clear once you get a feel for what you need to spend some seconds understanding and what you can just brush off (for example any relevant part of the board will always be on screen, so you don't have to remember what's the current strategy and you can jump into any explanation at any moment even if you dozed off for the past chapter so you never have to reread anything).
Yeah, I just saw the notes about the different winning hands and the different ways to get a han. I should keep that page open at all times.

Kinda surprised I could even write this post right now because my brain is completely fried after ~16 straight hours of S;G two days in a row. can't stoppppp
tuturu

Big One

Banned
Do you always feel the need to imply your "superior manga-reading ways" to anyone that disagree with your opinion?
I do not have superior manga-reading ways, but I do question the sanctity of people who are used to exclusive shonen manga.

The reason why One Piece has a lot going on because it's actually cramming a good amount of story into a single chapter, like every other serialized manga out there that doesn't drag out every battle into a volume's worth of content like Bleach or Naruto does.

I really don't see much of a difference how One Piece is structured than something like Berserk is. Aside from Berserk being a million's time better, in terms of content and execution both are fairly traditional in terms of manga, sticking to formulas that have been working for decades. Vagabond is a bit nontraditional, but has such exceptional story and character development that it fully works of it's own intent. Then you got Bleach, which is pretty much an anime storyboard drawn to look like manga, which to not knock Bleach down happens a LOT nowadays to action shonen (even seinen sometimes), but Bleach doesn't even have anything remotely of value to make the long drawn out battles worth the wait so it's style is pointless.

dumbyugi

There's nothing incoherent about Bleach either, at least not of what I read. One Piece does have a bit to much going on sometimes and if not spending 30 minutes looking at a page because it's a mess makes me a plebeian then so be it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Steve Jobs manga first chapter online preview. Not a big fan of the art style.
The greatest story of our era.
I do not have superior manga-reading ways, but I do question the sanctity of people who are used to exclusive shonen manga.

The reason why One Piece has a lot going on because it's actually cramming a good amount of story into a single chapter, like every other serialized manga out there that doesn't drag out every battle into a volume's worth of content like Bleach or Naruto does.

I really don't see much of a difference how One Piece is structured than something like Berserk is. Aside from Berserk being a million's time better, in terms of content and execution both are fairly traditional in terms of manga, sticking to formulas that have been working for decades. Vagabond is a bit nontraditional, but has such exceptional story and character development that it fully works of it's own intent. Then you got Bleach, which is pretty much an anime storyboard drawn to look like manga, which to not knock Bleach down happens a LOT nowadays to action shonen (even seinen sometimes), but Bleach doesn't even have anything remotely of value to make the long drawn out battles worth the wait so it's style is pointless.
I don't think you know what an anime storyboard looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom