• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berserk, end of the flashback (I think)

YviorAR.jpg

Gutts got his metal arm and his dragon slayer sword and just killed a demon tree in the next chapter. I think the flashback is over and overall I really enjoyed it.

Everything was explained well and most of it made sense, as far as I'm concerned and it tied the story nicely together.

Griffith is obviously a huge asshole. As I mentioned before, when he fucked the little princess, I thought it was still part of his grand scheme. But after Gutts truly left and a year had passed, it became clear that he simply fucked it up in a huge, huge way. And I think this is the only part I didn't like about the flashback, because that behavior seemed a bit out of character for him. When it came to his plans and schemes, he was always cold, calculated everything, took everything into account and always tried to avoid huge risks (at least when it came to his own life). And then Gutts decided to leave and his huge, massive and godly ego couldn't take it? The man that was confident about everything? So he loses his biggest asset in times of war (which he just ended), goes mad and throws everything away, just so he (indirectly) fucks the king? "Hey king, thanks for everything, but I just lost something for the first time and I think you should get this feeling too". What.

In the meantime Gutts and Caska come together, get all nice and couple-y and fool around, even during the rescue mission. That was really nice to see. Then they rescue Griffith, who became a total mess and blames Gutts for everything (at least it seemed that way during the monologue) and they escape. He noticed that something between Gutts and Caska was going on and apparently didn't like it much. Not only did he convince her to get Gutts to leave, he also fucked her brain (or rather mind) out, when he became the demon king. After sacrificing all of his followers, of course.

Again, I can see him getting all emo about Sasuke leaving, but that turn was a bit much. But in a way it was just a minor thing for me and didn't bother me that much. The art was excellent and so were the various scenes and moments. What didn't happen for me was a real "wtf" moment. No train wreck, no outrage, no huge surprises. I might say I'm a bit disappointed by that.

I mentioned the feast earlier and i have to say, seeing the death of Corkus and the rest was pretty sad. I hoped the key members survived and walked on different paths, so that Gutts could meet/fight them again. I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'm much more surprised that Caska survived, if you can call it that. In a way it's worse than dying and I hope she finds to her old self at some point. Also curious to see what happens with the child. That should be fun.

You should check out the first 3 volumes again, you'll notice how well its all been built. For example
the woman apostle that kills Corkus is the very first thing Guts kills on the first page.
Lots of cool stuff like that.
Of course I noticed that right away. it's hard to forget that Giger inspired design. Same with the snail demon who killed Pippin.

caesar

Banned

YviorAR.jpg

Gutts got his metal arm and his dragon slayer sword and just killed a demon tree in the next chapter. I think the flashback is over and overall I really enjoyed it.

Everything was explained well and most of it made sense, as far as I'm concerned and it tied the story nicely together.

Griffith is obviously a huge asshole. As I mentioned before, when he fucked the little princess, I thought it was still part of his grand scheme. But after Gutts truly left and a year had passed, it became clear that he simply fucked it up in a huge, huge way. And I think this is the only part I didn't like about the flashback, because that behavior seemed a bit out of character for him. When it came to his plans and schemes, he was always cold, calculated everything, took everything into account and always tried to avoid huge risks (at least when it came to his own life). And then Gutts decided to leave and his huge, massive and godly ego couldn't take it? The man that was confident about everything? So he loses his biggest asset in times of war (which he just ended), goes mad and throws everything away, just so he (indirectly) fucks the king? "Hey king, thanks for everything, but I just lost something for the first time and I think you should get this feeling too". What.

In the meantime Gutts and Caska come together, get all nice and couple-y and fool around, even during the rescue mission. That was really nice to see. Then they rescue Griffith, who became a total mess and blames Gutts for everything (at least it seemed that way during the monologue) and they escape. He noticed that something between Gutts and Caska was going on and apparently didn't like it much. Not only did he convince her to get Gutts to leave, he also fucked her brain (or rather mind) out, when he became the demon king. After sacrificing all of his followers, of course.

Again, I can see him getting all emo about Sasuke leaving, but that turn was a bit much. But in a way it was just a minor thing for me and didn't bother me that much. The art was excellent and so were the various scenes and moments. What didn't happen for me was a real "wtf" moment. No train wreck, no outrage, no huge surprises. I might say I'm a bit disappointed by that.

I mentioned the feast earlier and i have to say, seeing the death of Corkus and the rest was pretty sad. I hoped the key members survived and walked on different paths, so that Gutts could meet/fight them again. I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'm much more surprised that Caska survived, if you can call it that. In a way it's worse than dying and I hope she finds to her old self at some point. Also curious to see what happens with the child. That should be fun.

Of course I noticed that right away. it's hard to forget that Giger inspired design. Same with the snail demon who killed Pippin.

Wow wait, are you saying the eclipse didn't shock you? I'd say it's one of the more shocking scenes in any manga, depicted excellently in the anime too.

On Griffith, I think its clear that him going into Charlotte's bedroom was a moment of madness and he got caught. Iirc it was on the same night/day that Guts left the Hawks, which is basically the first time he has ever lost anything. At that point, no matter how perfect he appears, he is just a man.

So ManGAF, if you had a behelit would you use it?

Wiseblade

He was fine until Griffith talked him into tonguing her.

No, he wasn't. That's not how royalty works. Griffith the the one thing he couldn't get away with. All he had to do was play his cards right after the war and prove that he could hold his own in the political world. He had a legendary war record, the favour of the people, the love of the Princess and the King's approval. Casca and the King even say as much.

But none of that matters when you break the rules of the world like that. In one single night, he undid all of the work he put in and turned himself into a dead man. All calling out the King did was make sure that he'd get all the flesh stripped from his bones first.

Berserk

No, he wasn't. That's not how royalty works. Griffith the the one thing he couldn't get away with. All he had to do was play his cards right after the war and prove that he could hold his own in the political world. He had a legendary war record, the favour of the people, the love of the Princess and the King's approval. Casca and the King even say as much.

But none of that matters when you break the rules of the world like that. In one single night, he undid all of the work he put in and turned himself into a dead man. All calling out the King did was make sure that he'd get all the flesh stripped from his bones first.

Yep.

He fucked up big time when he shouldn't have

fertygo

Yep.

He fucked up big time when he shouldn't have

Yeah, I think that's the point.. Griffith doing something that so uncharacteristically and fucked him, all of that because Gutts the nobody,and screwing all the balance. that's the ultimate irony.

Wiseblade

Yeah, I think that's the point.. Griffith doing something that so uncharacteristically and fucked him, all of that because Gutts the nobody,and screwing all the balance. that's the ultimate irony.

How come I don't get quoted? But yeah. Griffith breaking down from was so silly. Like a small child throwing a fit over a broken toy.

wonzo

Banned
I see that Usagi Drop got new chapters translated. Will they make me lose my faith in humanity again or is it safe to read them?
I haven't read them yet but from what i know it's just a bunch of side-stories & an epilogue so maybe. ┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌

survivor

Banned
I love watching manga artists work.

It's been posted here before but the video of Kaoru Mori drawing is incredible.

This one of Takehiko Inoue is awesome, especially when he goes over his method of drawing.

I haven't read them yet but from what i know it's just a bunch of side-stories & an epilogue so maybe. ┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌
I'm just scared of reading any intimate moments in the epilogue.

fertygo

How come I don't get quoted? But yeah. Griffith breaking down from was so silly. Like a small child throwing a fit over a broken toy.

Space :D

Well most of tyrant known to being silly. Maybe he thought if he can't hold something that so small, no way he achieve his big dream.

Sukimasuki

krhZ2pa.png

A story about a guy peeping on a girl while the girl peeps on the guy.

It was a decent read. I like the characters and it started out pretty good. Not too fond of the ending though.

survivor

Banned
Sukimasuki

http://i.imgur.com/krhZ2pa.png[IMG]

It was a decent read. I like the characters and it started out pretty good. Not too fond of the ending though.[/QUOTE]
If I remember correctly, it was one of those non-endings where one of them travels abroad to study or something right? I still liked the premise of the manga, very weird relationship.

Eusis

Wow wait, are you saying the eclipse didn't shock you? I'd say it's one of the more shocking scenes in any manga, depicted excellently in the anime too.
I think it's more that it's horrifying, not that it's shocking. You spend, what, two volumes following Guts in the present, and an episode in the anime? You know what the end result is going to be: haunted by demons whilst hunting them, hating Griffith with every fiber of his being (who appears to have become a demon in the anime to a first time viewer, and very clearly did in the manga), and the rest of the Band of the Hawk conspicuously absent. We know something horrible and fucked up was inevitable (although I would be morbidly fascinated to see the reactions of someone who skipped that stuff and is foreshadowing blind), it was just a question of how it all went down. Well, I guess from that angle there's still the shock of just how horrible it got, but not shock something like that happened at all.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's sort of what he is deep down though, a little kid. The man's never faced anything he couldn't beat, he's never lost or had anything not go his way. Then one of his toys wants to leave and not only does he leave but that little nobody just proved to him and the entire band of hawk that he was the strongest. Griffith was beaten and humiliated on that day, what he did that night was him trying to exert his own power to prove to himself that he still had it.

Kurita

Sukimasuki

It was a decent read. I like the characters and it started out pretty good. Not too fond of the ending though.

If I remember correctly, it was one of those non-endings where one of them travels abroad to study or something right? I still liked the premise of the manga, very weird relationship.

The premise reminds me of Nozoki Ana...

survivor

Banned
The premise reminds me of Nozoki Ana...

It's not that perverted and the guy actually has more of a fetish for seeing things through a narrow space rather than peeping on girls if I remember correctly.

It's fine, the side stories happen before the apocalypse and even in the epilogue, the two don't really act like a couple at all.
Then why did you make them into a couple, argh

Oh well, at least it's safe to read.

Wiseblade

Why do I suddenly have the desire to read Vagabond and reread Eyeshield 21?

Also, We should have out own vote to decide ManGAF's favourite artist.

caesar

Banned
I think it's more that it's horrifying, not that it's shocking. You spend, what, two volumes following Guts in the present, and an episode in the anime? You know what the end result is going to be: haunted by demons whilst hunting them, hating Griffith with every fiber of his being (who appears to have become a demon in the anime to a first time viewer, and very clearly did in the manga), and the rest of the Band of the Hawk conspicuously absent. We know something horrible and fucked up was inevitable (although I would be morbidly fascinated to see the reactions of someone who skipped that stuff and is foreshadowing blind), it was just a question of how it all went down. Well, I guess from that angle there's still the shock of just how horrible it got, but not shock something like that happened at all.

I suppose so. It's just when it finally does go down, it's soooo much more brutal and cold than you expect. No honourable deaths on the battlefield or anything, just feasted on. I don't want to say too much but yeah, brutal.

Why do I suddenly have the desire to read Vagabond and reread Eyeshield 21?

Also, We should have out own vote to decide ManGAF's favourite artist.

Now you have read Berserk you have a badass detector installed in your brain, it's probably going off like a siren right now because Musashi is on the same level as Guts.

Wiseblade

That's sort of what he is deep down though, a little kid. The man's never faced anything he couldn't beat, he's never lost or had anything not go his way. Then one of his toys wants to leave and not only does he leave but that little nobody just proved to him and the entire band of hawk that he was the strongest. Griffith was beaten and humiliated on that day, what he did that night was him trying to exert his own power to prove to himself that he still had it.

But to sacrifice his ambition (and his life) to feed his own ego? That was incredibly short-sighted.

Stinky

This one of Takehiko Inoue is awesome, especially when he goes over his method of drawing.

Sooo cool.

I remember reading before about his grandfather saying about a drawing Inoue had done as a kid that "the hair is so full of life". He said it really inspired him to pursue drawing.

The guy draws hair like nobody's business. But then again, he draws everything well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But to sacrifice his ambition (and his life) to feed his own ego? That was incredibly short-sighted.

Yes it was, but if you look at where his mind was at the time it makes sense. He had to prove to himself that Gutts wasn't the reason he was where he was. I mean look back at all the fights they won, Gutts played a huge role in all of that. Those fights were what was the foundation of his influence. He had to prove his own power. It was incredibly foolish but part of him probably thought he'd get away with it since until that that point he had never not gotten away with anything. He saw himself as above everything, the guy had ordered the assassination of a prince and nothing had happened. I'm not entirely shocked that he thought he'd get away with it, when I was reading it part of me thought he would as well. Until he didn't.

Akito

Don't Cry, Girl

Funny little story about a high school girl who for some reason finds herself living with a friend of her parents who happens to be a nudist but she actually copes quite well with the new situation given the circumstances. I like the characters a lot, exaggerated as they might be. The ending plays with the genre tropes so that's also a plus in my book.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

YviorAR.jpg

Griffith didn't know why Guts left. So his sudden departure was a surprise. To compound this, he failed to control the situation by losing to Guts. Fearing he was losing control of things, he tried to accelerate his relationship with the princess with less than desirable results.

I believe he just got desperate thinking that his dream was vanishing before his eyes and he panicked. Despite him seeming to be super cool and all, Griffith is driven by deep insecurity. He wanted the kingdom all this time as a way to ensure his security.

wonzo

Banned
Look at all these wasted panels

But seriously, Murata's name just never comes up to my mind cause I never read any of his manga.
You should give Onepunch man a chance as the art's fantastic and it doesn't take that long to go through a chapter. It's also pretty damn funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom