• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda agree about the atmosphere change, but then again her introductory arc had women being brutally raped and dying in an explosion of baby trolls.

Also honestly post eclipse puck and Ishi already destroyed some of that atmosphere for me. In the world of berserk they should be monster chum by now. Also I can't even remember why guts took him into the party.

The sea god arc had good character developement for Ishi, but let's review what he did when they were stranded on the island. Go off on his own while the others are trying to find help for "adventures", then proceed to lose the super valuable magic sword. It's that kind of stuff that I just find annoying.

Even though that arc was Berserk brutal, it was still really weak, compared to other arcs. It was like your typical RPG quest at the beginning of a JRPG.

The reason why Ishi is in the party ... well ... I have no idea. But watching him grow and getting better is more enjoyable for me, than watching Loli gushing over Guts for the nth time and how she always takes care of him and OMG, his love for Casca and whatever, but they have one special thing together, so it doesn't bother her as much.

And what you mention about the Shit God arc is hard to criticize, imo, because all that took place in what felt like half a chapter and only happened to introduce Isma. If Miura dragged this on for a while, I would've gladly agreed with you. His whole bitching and sulking during the RPG Town arc was annoying, too.

That´s because of her creepy fantasies honestly. It makes me cringe really hard.

God, yes. Every time she blushes, Fernese should bitch slap some sense into her.

dumbyugi

Just feels that way. Magi is a rather fast paced manga, and they've basically revealed the end game here. It feels like they've explored all the countries in the world, shown all the factions, and now with the ultimate objective of the enemy revealed, I can't see it lasting much longer honestly. It could go for another 100 chapters at most I guess, but it really doesn't feel like there's that much more.

They haven't shown the Dark continent yet and they could still show the rest of the nations allied with Sinbad. There is still a lot of story to cover in regards to the Kou Empire and Al-Sarmen. Sinbad and his generals will no doubt play a part in the war against the Kou Empire but they do not really have a motive to do so at the moment. I guess I just don't think it's rushing as much as you though.

Berserk

Even though that arc was Berserk brutal, it was still really weak, compared to other arcs. It was like your typical RPG quest at the beginning of a JRPG.

The reason why Ishi is in the party ... well ... I have no idea. But watching him grow and getting better is more enjoyable for me, than watching Loli gushing over Guts for the nth time and how she always takes care of him and OMG, his love for Casca and whatever, but they have one special thing together, so it doesn't bother her as much.

And what you mention about the Shit God arc is hard to criticize, imo, because all that took place in what felt like half a chapter and only happened to introduce Isma. If Miura dragged this on for a while, I would've gladly agreed with you. His whole bitching and sulking during the RPG Town arc was annoying, too.

God, yes. Every time she blushes, Fernese should bitch slap some sense into her.

As for the atmosphere change that happened once he got a crew again imo, she just added the possible trump card of magic to the mix (especially given how fucking broken it can be)

Why would Farnese slap sense when she's doing the same thing? LOL

Still find it interesting people getting disturbed about her crush when its pretty harmless so far. Once she either pushes it up a notch or Guts starts to react then i may jump on this bandwagon here

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, farnese the really kinky zealot was so much more interesting than farnese the meek of friendship and magic.

Also yeah, while I do agree that schierke is part of the atmosphere change, I don't think she was the sole cause of it, or even the start of it. If anything it's when ishi and a de-fanged farnese joined the group, and when puck became even more of a joke character than he already is, that the whole "Guts with friends" theme starts rolling.

Antiwhippy

Magi 178

Alibaba and aladdin are probably the best manga bros right now.

Next chapters is going to be crazy though. Can't wait.

upandaway

Magi

They haven't shown the Dark continent yet and they could still show the rest of the nations allied with Sinbad. There is still a lot of story to cover in regards to the Kou Empire and Al-Sarmen. Sinbad and his generals will no doubt play a part in the war against the Kou Empire but they do not really have a motive to do so at the moment. I guess I just don't think it's rushing as much as you though.
Yeah I also think there's a lot left in terms of worldbuilding. Dungeons will probably never get as much screentime as they did though, at this point I'm expecting Alibaba to just go in and then out with a vessel, but that's not really rushing.

The pace Magi's going at right now, I feel, is the pace it's been going at ever since I caught up (during the climax of Balbadd). It's just going really really fast compared to other shonen, people complained about this back in Zagan too, and even more when we got daily chapters and it felt like light speed.

Antiwhippy

Blade of the Immortal 201

I don't see how makie won't be known as one of the most badass characters in manga of all time.

It is interesting to see Habaki still clinging on to the government, considering everything that he had just lost.

Man, farnese the really kinky zealot was so much more interesting than farnese the meek of friendship and magic.

Also yeah, while I do agree that schierke is part of the atmosphere change, I don't think she was the sole cause of it, or even the start of it. If anything it's when ishi and a de-fanged farnese joined the group, and when puck became even more of a joke character than he already is, that the whole "Guts with friends" theme starts rolling.

The biggest part of the atmosphere change was the release of IdolMaster.

The biggest part of the atmosphere change was the release of IdolMaster.

Pretty much. Berserk feels like it's in a slump right now with story and releases moving as slow as molasses. I didn't hate Guts + party in the beginning because I thought it could be a nice throwback to Band of Hawk times but it has moved in a pretty boring direction.

Thanks a lot, because honestly, that really bothered me.

As with everything about 7 Seeds, keep reading, keep posting your reactions, but don't ask for spoilers. The manga makes you question many things, characters and the motives and rewards it.

Berserk

As for the atmosphere change that happened once he got a crew again imo, she just added the possible trump card of magic to the mix (especially given how fucking broken it can be)

Why would Farnese slap sense when she's doing the same thing? LOL

Still find it interesting people getting disturbed about her crush when its pretty harmless so far. Once she either pushes it up a notch or Guts starts to react then i may jump on this bandwagon here

All that's left for me is the amount of screen time she gets. Combine that with the shift of atmosphere and someone who doesn't like little girls with annoying crushes on the MC and you should get it.

So in that sense:

Waftw84.png

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Vagabond 1-3

Loving this art so far. I like Takezo a lot already, plus he's pimp. Throwing off milfs, and just kinda lamping on the floor after a cup of sake. Like a boss.

wonzo

Banned
Nozoki Ana 105

Good, maybe it can crank up the smuttiness again now that they've reunited.

Momo no Musume 3

The golden shower was nowhere near as gross as the girl getting pissed on.

i2rZhjiPCeezI.gif

Kusagari

Rage Town

Considering how much wallowing in self-pity old Haruto is doing, this has got to be setting him doing something up.

Hopefully he decides to end the manga.

Yonafunu

Vagabond 1-3

Loving this art so far. I like Takezo a lot already, plus he's pimp. Throwing off milfs, and just kinda lamping on the floor after a cup of sake. Like a boss.

Takezo is a great, great character. His character development is amazing.
Damn, I think I'll reread Vagabond with you man.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Vagabond 4-7

Well, that was quite fun. I really like the way that the action sequences are done. Mahawhatshisface is fulfilling his role, because he's kind-of annoying. That decapitation by Takezo was sick.

duckroll

Hope you're right. I'm just pretty down on the series right now between the lack of Mor and the butchering the anime is doing to the source material. RIP. :(

Naito

Kiba no Tabishounin - The Arms Peddler 1-40

I was kind of skeptic at first but I quite like it. What changed my mind in favor of a very positive impression is that I found it
tremendously similar to Shin Angyo Onshi (it is one of my favourites, even though I reckon the ending was resolved, alas, poorly).
Apart the abscence of the gag scenes, The Arms Peddler feels like an alternate version of Youn In-Wan & Yang Kyung-il work.

The art, plot and setting of both are very close, one could even say they're look-alike; I don't see it as a negative point and
I'm really looking forward to read the next chapters!

Thanks to ColossalLazy and Meccanical for the recommendation.

Articalys

This sounds amusingly petty.
The April issue of Square Enix's Big Gangan magazine intentionally flipped the eighth page of the four-panel manga Haru ni Naru to Uzu Uzu Shichau by Ayumi Fujimura (no relation to the similarly named voice actress). At the bottom of the page, the editors wrote, “Due to the author missing the deadline without notice, we are flipping this page as punishment. We apologize to all readers this may cause trouble to.”

Hope you're right. I'm just pretty down on the series right now between the lack of Mor and the butchering the anime is doing to the source material. RIP. :(

I think you're being too harsh on the anime it's good enough for it's intended purpose, getting people to pick up the manga. Also I don't get why you think this series is even close to finishing, even if this potentially 4 way war ends within 50 chapters there is still plenty of story and ground to cover. Somehow I feeling winning the war/stopping kou is just the first step in the eventual defeat of Al Tharmen, then we also have the 4th magi the one who Mor is with right now and whatever he's up to. We also have the potential to get more Adventure of Sinbad chapters so honestly I'm not worried about the world of Magi ending any time soon.

Unless it's a series I care for, I skip over the review portion and right to the recap portion. Hearing the anger over Sasuke and Bleach is great.

I would love to if Blip allowed you to skip ahead in a video, seriously having to load a video, pause it, then wait 15 minutes for a 90 minute podcast to completely buffer so I can skip to 2 or 3 specific sections is a waste of time.

survivor

Banned
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou vol 10
2uOpPO9.jpg

It amazes me how there is an entire chapter just dedicated to Misago just lazing around and sleeping on a tree and yet I still found it fun to read. One of the best strengths of the manga: making all these trivial everyday events a joy to read. Plus you get some random chapters like the one of Alpha just shooting around her electric gun cause she is bored and wanted to see the green lightning.

Berserk Lost Child Arc

It's great to be back in the present seeing Gutts kick all sorts of demon ass. I actually enjoy puck and he helps keeps gutts push everyone away personality from hurting the story. The fight with the elf queen was intense though its weird seeing the Catholic Church starting to play a role in the plot.

Berserk Lost Child Arc

It's great to be back in the present seeing Gutts kick all sorts of demon ass. I actually enjoy puck and he helps keeps gutts push everyone away personality from hurting the story. The fight with the elf queen was intense though its weird seeing the Catholic Church starting to play a role in the plot.

Get used to it. The church will be much more present in the next arc and it's an interesting throwback.

Get used to it. The church will be much more present in the next arc and it's an interesting throwback.

I'm cool with them playing a role in the plot, it makes sense given the time period Berserk takes place in. Besides we need someone to fodder off to the demons with the hawks dead and gutts doing a solo act for the time being.

Antiwhippy

Like when he dropped that same awesome flamey knife earlier? :p

I kid mostly, I do actually enjoy his developement now, but man he still annoys me sometimes.

"Finally"? Where have you been looking? He's been doing stuff like that the whole time.

He thinks that Ishi isn't useful, just because he can't cause a genocide or destroy an entire village.

But when little Loli witch does it, it's all "awww, so cute. you almost killed everyone!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom