• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bleach

This is the first hollow ever to have his hollow hole blocked. This might be very significant.

I just assumed it was Aizen's hollowfication experiment in reverse, e.g. early versions of Arrancar or something.

Kurita

I mean, Why would it even be in doubt that Kazé would publish AssClass? What deal could they they barter that would make it worthwhile to let a rival property handle their property?

Glénat can still get it.
Medaka Box isn't published by Kazé even though it's a WSJ series so who knows what can happen.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
there's being an idealist, and then there's being delusional. Even before the village was set up, it was obious that war had changed Madara. Hashi should have realised that the kid he shared his dreams with was long gone and only a bitter shell remained. But instead, he let the love that bloomed on the battlefield blind him to the truth.

But what is his recourse? Kill Madara? Before the village, he was still the leader of the clan, and most of them were behind him. You don't get the unity he wanted by doing that. His only option was doing whatever insane stuff he could manage to try and bring them together. Sure, after the village came together Madara became more and more ostracized by his people, and his death wouldn't really be THAT big a deal to them. But you don't create a unified village of two ninja clans on the foundation of one clan killing the other clan's leader. Then you just perpetuate the cycle of revenge.

Wiseblade

But what is his recourse? Kill Madara? Before the village, he was still the leader of the clan, and most of them were behind him. You don't get the unity he wanted by doing that. His only option was doing whatever insane stuff he could manage to try and bring them together. Sure, after the village came together Madara became more and more ostracized by his people, and his death wouldn't really be THAT big a deal to them. But you don't create a unified village of two ninja clans on the foundation of one clan killing the other clan's leader. Then you just perpetuate the cycle of revenge.

You mean when Madara himself said he had no sway with the Uciha?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You mean when Madara himself said he had no sway with the Uciha?

There's a difference between "has no sway" and "it's okay if you just go ahead and kill him, then we'll be your friends."

And even beyond the practicalities, "my friend has become bitter through the losses of war" is hardly a reason for Hashirama to kill him. It would be completely out of character. There were multiple forces against his hand there.

Akito

Maison Ikkoku v10 (end)
See, that was not so hard, wasn't it? You just have to clearly say you love each other and literally minutes later you'll find yourself in a love hotel doing what anyone would do in a love hotel. I'm glad the confession happened early enough so that we had enough time for the proposal (which was very nice) and all of the cockblocking before that. The wedding and a epilogue were the icing on the cake. Overall the ending arc was not amazing by any stretch because it still relied heavily on shitty misunderstandings to move the plot forward but the end was done very well and Yusaku did get a significant amount of character developments. As Antiwhippy said this is a typical Rumiko Takahashi manga, could have been excellent if not for the excessive amount of filler, I'd say you best just skip the volumes in the middle because you'd not miss out much.
My ranking for the romance classics of the 80s
Touch >>>>>> Maison Ikkoku >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kimagure Orange Road

I see there are still some lost chapters left but I don't really expect anything out of them.

Kurita

Sakamoto Desu Ga? still going strong.
wWoAvbz.png

Wiseblade

There's a difference between "has no sway" and "it's okay if you just go ahead and kill him, then we'll be your friends."

And even beyond the practicalities, "my friend has become bitter through the losses of war" is hardly a reason for Hashirama to kill him. It would be completely out of character. There were multiple forces against his hand there.

It's definitely not a reason to keep him around and make him leader. Madara had repeatedly shown that he'd abandoned the ideal he once held dear during the war and only only becoming an outcast in peacetime. He had no place in Konoha but was supposed to be the leader? The Uchiha would have been better off without Madara around, maybe Tobirama would have see that they weren't all psycho and turned his words into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

survivor

Banned
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou vol 11

Wonderful volume. Really enjoyed the rain chapter and some of the visuals in it. That chapter is a great example of why I read this manga, it can create the right amount of feelings from the atmosphere and with as little words as possible.

I just assumed it was Aizen's hollowfication experiment in reverse, e.g. early versions of Arrancar or something.

It is, but a hollow without a hollow hole :D

The last page first panel. Recognise the attack stance (position of Isshin in the middle of the attack swirling around him)? That's classic Hitsugaya. Looks like Hitsugaya might have quietly modelled himself on Isshin to some degree. Of course, that's ignoring the obvious fire/ice cycle that's been given to the tenth division in terms of captain turnover.

Thanks to Milareppa on OMF for noticing it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not sure whether it was either lazy rehash writing or fridge brilliance on Kubo's part that Ichigo getting his powers back in practically the same exact way Ishida regained his powers turns out to actually make more sense when Ichigo is secretly half-Quincy. I'm inclined to think its kind of clever, actually.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It's definitely not a reason to keep him around and make him leader. Madara had repeatedly shown that he'd abandoned the ideal he once held dear during the war and only only becoming an outcast in peacetime. He had no place in Konoha but was supposed to be the leader? The Uchiha would have been better off without Madara around, maybe Tobirama would have see that they weren't all psycho and turned his words into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Well sure, I don't disagree about Hashirama's judgement when it comes to suggesting Madara be Hokage. Admittedly he came at it from the opposite angle, not that the people would want him, but that rather Madara without his family could embrace the village as a new one, but that's just Hashirama being a flake again, and wanting everyone to just get along.

Luckily this is all just tied to one character, and the actions are in line with his personality. Madara wasn't actually Hokage, Tobirama and the rest of the village saw to that. People make suspect choices every day, ones that don't perfectly align into a rut of reason and logic. I think a believable character will be flawed like that. I do not attribute those flaws to the writing or plot, though, which is the crux of my whole thing here. Rather they are just the motivations of two guys in a shitty situation, neither who could claim to be brilliant or stable enough to just drive it to the perfect conclusion.

I'm not sure whether it was either lazy rehash writing or fridge brilliance on Kubo's part that Ichigo getting his powers back in practically the same exact way Ishida regained his powers turns out to actually make more sense when Ichigo is secretly half-Quincy. I'm inclined to think its kind of clever, actually.
Good find AG :)

Angry Grimace

I'm starting to wonder if KNIM hasn't ended for the Bakuman-given reason: because KNIM is starting an anime and Seo was told to just make the plot keep going during the anime.

Yonafunu

Madara has proven time and time again to be irrational and unreasonable. His own clan don't even want anything to do with him. And yet Hashirama puts his ideal future at risk to appease the madman. Appointing someone so universally hated as leader of the village? Yeah, that's definitely going to foster peace and unity.

What? At this point in the flashback Madara hasn't gone crazy yet. Where has he proven to be irrational and unreasonable? Examples?

Wiseblade

What? At this point in the flashback Madara hasn't gone crazy yet. Where has he proven to be irrational and unreasonable? Examples?

"It's your fault my brother's dead, even though I repeatedly spurned your peace offerings!"
"If you kill yourself or your brother, then I'll join you."

Kusagari

The entire flashback has painted him as crazy. So easily giving up on his dream as a kid, demanding Hashirama kill himself or Tobirama, it goes on and on.

Madara is mentally unhinged.

Yonafunu

"It's your fault my brother's dead, even though I repeatedly spurned your peace offerings!"
"If you kill yourself or your brother, then I'll join you."

The entire flashback has painted him as crazy. So easily giving up on his dream as a kid, demanding Hashirama kill himself or Tobirama, it goes on and on.

Madara is mentally unhinged.

Did you miss the latest chapter? He didn't intend for Hashirama to actually kill himself or Tobirama (okay, not so sure about Tobirama), he was testing him. And giving up on his dream easily makes him crazy?
Yeah, ok.

I'll give you the "it's your fault my brother's dead", but it's hardly enough to call him 'mentally unhinged'. Come on, it's a freaking war.

Did you miss the latest chapter? He didn't intend for Hashirama to actually kill himself or Tobirama (okay, not so sure about Tobirama), he was testing him. And giving up on his dream easily makes him crazy?
Yeah, ok.

I'll give you the "it's your fault my brother's dead", but it's hardly enough to call him 'mentally unhinged'. Come on, it's a freaking war.

What about:

"I need to warn my friend, or he's going into our trap ... oh well, you know what. Fuck this."

Yonafunu

What about:

"I need to warn my friend, or he's going into our trap ... oh well, you know what. Fuck this."

Woow, yeah, call the looney bin, he's batshit insane!

When he found out Hashirama was a Senju, he figured their plan would never work, so he cut their ties. The Uchiha and the Senju were the greatest enemies of that time, it's not crazy he thought it wouldn't work out.
I agree being that stubborn about it wasn't really the smart way to go, but it's in no way 'crazy'.

Erigu

Okay time to fight with you people again.

Naruto

[...]

So people who hate this and think it's terrible sloppy shit writing for morons, please, point to the crux of what you think is so dumb, and let's talk about it.
So, when do you think the Tsuchikage's flashback about Madara was taking place, while you're at it?

Angry Grimace

So, when do you think the Tsuchikage's flashback about Madara was taking place, while you're at it?

The time in between Tobirama/Hashirama in the cabin and Hashirama/Madara in the shrine.

Wiseblade

When he found out Hashirama was a Senju, he figured their plan would never work, so he cut their ties. The Uchiha and the Senju were the greatest enemies of that time, it's not crazy he thought it wouldn't work out.
I agree being that stubborn about it wasn't really the smart way to go, but it's in no way 'crazy'.

He gave up on his dreams and best friend in seconds.

It looks like Madara's father told him Hashi was a Senju.
They met.
Madara still warned Hashirama (why would he, if he didn't know)
Both of them ran away.
Their fathers showed up.
They interrupted the fight.

Madara: That's it!
Hashi: We need to stop this! Lets be friends and make out!
Madara: Yeah, lets mak- ... wait, no! I hate you, Senju! "Sharingan unlocked - Love on first sight" Feel my wrath! No, wait! Retreat!

Yonafunu

He gave up on his dreams and best friend in seconds.

That makes him crazy?
Again, those were times of war. They were shild-soldiers, trained since they were little to have no emotion, and kill their enemies. In the Uchiha's case, especially if the enemy was a Senju.
If anyone in this flashbacks crazy, it's Hashirama for being such an idealist and going completely against the grain.

Good Bleach chapter I really hate Aizen though I wish the series would get over him.

One Piece

Love Luffy being a boss I have a feeling he won't win the fruit though, but we'll see.

Wiseblade

Seriously, how can Oda do the "friendship that transcends time" so much better than God's Beard Kishimoto? Wyper and Cricket are Bros without having ever met.

survivor

Banned
20th Century Boys vol 5
nHFr4GN.jpg

Huh? What just happened? Did we really need to jump from 2000 to 2014? And then introduce all these new characters and settings? Why confuse me even more? I knew something was up when the manga jumped straight to December 31, 2000, on the day the world is supposed to end and there is like 17 volumes left. It was pretty funny seeing the main group carrying their puny little guns trying to fight off against a giant robot.

From the looks of things, Yukiji survived and she is probably the only one that did? Well there was that one other person who bought the same ramen. Then there is that ending of the volume which indicates that Friend is still alive? I'm so confused. I really thought the final showdown was gonna happen at the end of the 20th century.

A lot of developments happened, but at this point they just further confuse me and the make the mystery even more of a clusterfuck. There is too much time jumping to be honest.

One Piece:
Badass end to the chapter. Luffy and Franky's scenes were great, and Sanji's stuff was really good, too. The setup for this arc has been pretty enjoyable so far.

Naruto:
This flashback still sucks. I almost started to care about halfway through this chapter, but then it all fell apart again. Hurry up with this, Kishimoto.

Detective Conan 850-852:
IT'S HAPPENING!

Glad the translation gap was closed so that I could read this arc. So, that ending was just...holy shit. Amuro definitely is a lot more dangerous now that he has all of that information. If he doesn't know Conan's identity yet, he's probably going to work things out before too long. Given that Vermouth is going along with this, I wonder if her goals have changed somewhat (she did go after Haibara despite previously saying she wouldn't).

I'm glad that we got to see Jodie again, since it's been awhile since there was an FBI related case. Now she just has to work out the details behind the message she received in the past. With an Amuro case and Sera case in the last 3, one of the next cases is probably going to be an Okiya case. It should be great. Conan has been on a pretty sustained winning streak for the last 2 years.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Naruto: F

This is the dumbest shit. Madara is a fucking moron and Hashirama is a clown. Tobirama should be the main character and everyone else should die.

Why is ANY of what Hashirama or Madara thinking good? I kill myself so that's wise? Leave the world left in the hands of a clashing Tobirama and Madara? Wut.

In what world does any author think that having Madara go from "leaves husbando so <3" to "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA" in the span of 10 pages. What kind of stupid shit am I reading?

Worst of all, what does any of this have to do with Sasuke? Why will he give any fucks? What does this have to do with him or Itachi. Hint, nothing. So after this I hope he teleports to the battlefield and kills Naruto.

Then himself.

Bleach: B

This was a good chapter. I really wonder what is going to go down with Ryuuken and his relationship with the Quincy. I also like that he is about to show up on the battlefield. Having Masaki stand up for herself was good too, I can see how Ichigo has taken on the personality of her and Isshin. Also, the hollow seemed to not have much going on with it, but I think that's gonna change - I don't know how much it's related to Ichigo but this may be the moment where Ichigo gets his Fullbring roots.

And then FUCKING AIZEN. AIZENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

It also seems that Aizen has copied Urahara´s riatsu erasing coat.
I was wondering why I recognized that cloak. Fucking Aizen.

One Piece: C

Boring. Nothing happened. I can guarantee you Violet won't be important. I can guarantee you this boring ass toy soldier won't be important. I can guarantee you that nothing will happen.

What actually happened in this chapter was Luffy predictably stomping some fodder in typical Luffy fashion. Big woop. It took 20 pages for what was essentially Luffy entering the tournament.

Someone tell Oda to go to Law & Company.

Yonafunu

It looks like Madara's father told him Hashi was a Senju.
They met.
Madara still warned Hashirama (why would he, if he didn't know)
Both of them ran away.
Their fathers showed up.
They interrupted the fight.

Madara: That it!
Hashi: We need to stop this! Lets be friends and make out!
Madara: Yeah, lets mak- ... wait, no! I hate you, Senju! "Sharingan unlocked - Love on first sight" Feel my wrath! No, wait! Retreat!

Yeah, that's totally how that went!
This discussion isn't going anywhere if all you're going to do is grossly oversimplify everything.

Madara had probably been told Hashirama was a Senju, and planned to warn him. Then the Senju showed up, and attacked his brother. He realised this wasn't going to work, too much blood had been shed among them. He'd lost his older brothers, Hashirama lost his little brother, etc. He acknowledged the fact that Hashirama was stronger than him at that point in time, and that they would lose in a fight, so they retreated.

That's it. That doesn't seem crazy to me.

Angry Grimace

20th Century Boys vol 5

Huh? What just happened? Did we really need to jump from 2000 to 2014? And then introduce all these new characters and settings? Why confuse me even more? I knew something was up when the manga jumped straight to December 31, 2000, on the day the world is supposed to end and there is like 17 volumes left. It was pretty funny seeing the main group carrying their puny little guns trying to fight off against a giant robot.

From the looks of things, Yukiji survived and she is probably the only one that did? Well there was that one other person who bought the same ramen. Then there is that ending of the volume which indicates that Friend is still alive? I'm so confused. I really thought the final showdown was gonna happen at the end of the 20th century.

A lot of developments happened, but at this point they just further confuse me and the make the mystery even more of a clusterfuck. There is too much time jumping to be honest.
Learn to love the timeskip.

Cute.

Wiseblade

Naruto: F

This is the dumbest shit. Madara is a fucking moron and Hashirama is a clown. Tobirama should be the main character and everyone else should die.

Why is ANY of what Hashirama or Madara thinking good? I kill myself so that's wise? Leave the world left in the hands of a clashing Tobirama and Madara? Wut.

In what world does any author think that having Madara go from "leaves husbando so <3" to "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA" in the span of 10 pages. What kind of stupid shit am I reading?

Worst of all, what does any of this have to do with Sasuke? Why will he give any fucks? What does this have to do with him or Itachi. Hint, nothing. So after this I hope he teleports to the battlefield and kills Naruto.

Then himself.

I hate to be that guy, but it's pretty obvious. Hashi is Naruto and Madara is Sasuke. The sauce is supposed to learn that his blonde fanboy only has his and the world's best interests at heart and they should kiss and make up.

Also, if you've got time to grade stuff, you've got time to make Peep the Truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom