• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ bold: He's apparently doing that right now according to Jimbei's words.

The connection the theory was attempting to make was based on their names and the real life version of Blackbeard, known as Edward (WB's name is Edward Newgate) Teach (OP BlackBeards name) or Edward Tatch (dude OP Blackbeard Killed to get the fruit)

The theory is eh .

Which kinda begs the question why he didn't steal Ace's fruit as well if his body can store unlimited fruits surely another Logia especially one as powerful as Ace's should be an added bonus.

Which kinda begs the question why he didn't steal Ace's fruit as well if his body can store unlimited fruits surely another Logia especially one as powerful as Ace's should be an added bonus.

If his body can store the fruit's power i think he would actually have to consume the fruit to get the powers and in that case he would have had to kill Ace.

But he couldn't do that as he needed to capture him and could prove that he could be a Warlord (for his eventual plan of getting the clearence to go Level 6 and get more crew members).

If his body can store the fruit's power i think he would actually have to consume the fruit to get the powers and in that case he would have had to kill Ace.

But he couldn't do that as he needed to capture him and could prove that he could be a Warlord (for his eventual plan of getting the clearence to go Level 6 and get more crew members).

Thats if his body can store it

I am referring to when he showed up at Marineford, I think Ace was already dead then.

Kusagari

Fuck man, I was a Gears 1 addict. ADDICT.

Gears 3 was better than Gears 2, to me.

I'm having fun with Judgment. If you pick it up maybe we can fuck some people up. Or get fucked up...Stim grenades and 2 piecing are the bane of my existence.

I definitely plan on getting Judgment eventually. The Gears fan in me will give in sooner or later. I'll hit you up when I get it and we'll fuck some bitches up...

Or just get 2 pieced :p.

The connection the theory was attempting to make was based on their names and the real life version of Blackbeard, known as Edward (WB's name is Edward Newgate) Teach (OP BlackBeards name Marshall D Teach) or Edward Tatch (dude OP Blackbeard killed to get the fruit)

The theory is eh imo .

I think the theory screams of looking for something that isn't there. I wouldn't doubt that Oda purposefully made a connection with their names, but it's probably just because those two characters are intrinsically tied to Blackbeard since he killed both of them. I find it hard to believe it's anything more than some clever naming.

Sharinigans?

i5WSHLp.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Rose of Versailles 2

Man, it's kinda weird reading the story in this really fabulous and cute old school shoujo style knowing that the main character is going to get her head chopped off.

That is if they actually stick close to history.

wonzo

Banned
City of Light 1-9 END

cityoflight6.png

At first I though this was one of the more grounded works of Asano that I've read. Well, that was until I got to the last chapter and flicked through the first few again immediately afterwards to make sense of things. It was probably not the best idea to read this with a massive headache but it was still a pretty nice read all things considered.

Korosenai

Interesting, but chimera powers don´t make sense. I mean seriously, what´s stopping BB from acquiring every DF out there? And i don´t see the connection between the 3 characters.
But if he was a chimera he could totally be 100% three different people. And all of their names have to do with the real life Blackbeard and theyre all connected in this little triangle in the One Piece world, how do you not see the connection?

Tacitus_

The connection the theory was attempting to make was based on their names and the real life version of Blackbeard, known as Edward (WB's name is Edward Newgate) Teach (OP BlackBeards name Marshall D Teach) or Edward Tatch (dude OP Blackbeard killed to get the fruit)

The theory is eh imo .

How canon are the answers to the fan letters supposed to be? Oda stated that the similarity was only an easter egg for sharp eyes in one of those when asked about the names.

Wiseblade

How canon are the answers to the fan letters supposed to be? Oda stated that the similarity was only an easter egg for sharp eyes in one of those when asked about the names.

They're all the way canonical. Joke characters invented to answer SBS questions have show up in the anime proper and Oda hasn't contradicted himself yet AFAIK, so there's no reason to doubt anything he posts there.

Don't take that to mean I'm saying BB is a chimera. I think that theory is a total crock.

Tacitus_

They're all the way canonical. Joke characters invented to answer SBS questions have show up in the anime proper and Oda hasn't contradicted himself yet AFAIK, so there's no reason to doubt anything he posts there.

Don't take that to mean I'm saying BB is a chimera. I think that theory is a total crock.

Oh I don't think that he's one either. I think Oda saying that the names are just an easter egg means that they don't have any plot effects.

survivor

Banned
City of Light 1-9 END

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/manga/cityoflight6.png[IMG]

At first I though this was one of the more grounded works of Asano that I've read. Well, that was until[B] I got to the last chapter and flicked through the first few again immediately afterwards to make sense of things.[/B] It was probably not the best idea to read this with a massive headache but it was still a pretty nice read all things considered.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, don't remember something like that. Were the stories connected or something? I think I really need to reread all of Asano's short stories soon cause I have really forgotten most of them.

wonzo

Banned
Hmm, don't remember something like that. Were the stories connected or something? I think I really need to reread all of Asano's short stories soon cause I have really forgotten most of them.
Yeah, all the storied were pretty much connected with each other in one way or another like most Asano works. It pretty much comes full circle though with the reincarnation/flying bus stuff at the end and the monologue during the first chapter and the ramblings of the five year old featured in both. It's not as brilliant as Nijigahara Holograph was but it's still pretty damn clever.

Akito

Beelzebub 198
I'm surprised that Aoi is pretty cool with Oga sitting there on her shoulder. Bring on the fight, this setup chapter was some boring crap.

Mahou Shoujo of the End 8
Uh ok, everyone's dead, game over?
They probably got teleported to somewhere else.

survivor

Banned
Rose of Versailles 2

Man, it's kinda weird reading the story in this really fabulous and cute old school shoujo style knowing that the main character is going to get her head chopped off.

That is if they actually stick close to history.

Rose of Versailles 4

Man, they really emphasize the cattiness be tween Marie and du Barry.
I read the first volume some time ago and my biggest problem with the art were the faces. They just look so wrong compared to the anime.

Madame du Barry rivalry with Marie was pretty good.

Yeah, all the storied were pretty much connected with each other in one way or another like most Asano works. It pretty much comes full circle though with the reincarnation/flying bus stuff at the end and the monologue during the first chapter and the ramblings of the five year old featured in both. It's not as brilliant as Nijigahara Holograph was but it's still pretty damn clever.

I think I remember a flying bus lol

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Vagabond 8-10

I knew this old bitch couldn't be trusted. Poor Takezo. Otsu mai waifu, why you gotta be a stupid ho?

Oh well, Takezo bout to stomp in style.

Antiwhippy

I read the first volume some time ago and my biggest problem with the art were the faces. They just look so wrong compared to the anime.

Madame du Barry rivalry with Marie was pretty good.

I dunno, maybe it's because I've been rereading glass mask recently but I really like that crazy old school shoujo style. :p

Antiwhippy

Rose of Versailles 09

Oh wow, I really like how disgusting they made the king look with smallpox. He's basically a corpse.

Also goddamn Jeanne is such a bitch.

survivor

Banned
Will be interesting to see sales of volume 50 this May.

Took a look at last 3 volumes for both series to see the difference

Glass Mask v47 - 437,056
Glass Mask v48 - 466,986
Glass Mask v49 - 405,180

Skip beat v30 - 249,163
Skip Beat v31 - 269,991
Skip Beat v32 - 204,413

Looks like Glass Mask is more popular. One thing I didn't know was that Skip Beat started in 2002. I always thought it was one of the old 90s manga.

flawfuls

Rose of Versailles 09

Oh wow, I really like how disgusting they made the king look with smallpox. He's basically a corpse.

Also goddamn Jeanne is such a bitch.

lol Jeanne was my favourite.
She spends her life screwing over pretty much everyone she ever meets and when she goes down she takes the entire French monarchy down with her.

Korosenai

Toriko - Mellow Cola Arc

Man, what a great little arc. Zebura is now tied with Sani for my favorite character. Can't wait to see them both interact together and their conversations. I'm also glad to see Komatsu be useful this arc as well, helping Toriko and Zebura get the Mellow Cola. Hopefully he gets some knife training (or hand to hand combat training) soon, he could be a beast if he learned how to use that Derous Fang Melk Knife correctly.

Akito

Silver Spoon 70
I laughed way too hard at the death penalty scene, we almost got a touching reunion with Pork Bowl. Hachiken is born to be a teacher.

Love Monster 1

Lovely color page and start to the book. The premise is still one of my favorite types though with a bit of a twist in both characters being a bit jealous of sorts. Best friends growing up, younger one confesses his feelings at the private tutoring session, etc. Really liked Akira.

Nice seeing Capcom...though people actually skip class to pick up the latest Capcom game?

bigkrev

Love Monster 1

Though nice seeing Capcom...though people actually skip class to pick up the latest Capcom game?

Has MonHun passed DQ?

Assassination Classroom
Huh, really surprised to see this game end so quickly. I bet we get a new Student or Teacher next week.

15: Meisetsu Kougyou Koukou Rugby Bu 11
Really glad that translation has resumed on this. Really nice chapter that actually gives some backstory on some of the minor characters, like Ayumu and Mikiyo. Yuu did a good job filling in as the main character this chapter, bringing everyone back together after such a tough loss.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Silver Spoon

DEATH PENALTY

I also cracked up at the shower scene with Tamako's head as a censor.

survivor

Banned
Kaiji Part 3 - vol 5

Holy shit, what a tense volume. Only fucking Kaiji would ruin a beautiful hand like this by fumbling around and losing the tiles. These couple chapters where Kaiji was racing against the clock to find the tiles were too intense.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So basically I was right and you guys were posting all these "OMG" gifs for no reason because he didn't score again.

My guess is this leads to the bitch chick slowly falling for minamoto more and more

the waifu chick will stand up and defend minamoto, making the bitch chick to get jealous and fall even more for Minamoto. 2 birds with 1 stone.

and later it will reveal the aunt chick is the one setting this whole thing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom