• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinky

I like the ones with little scenes with all the characters

lj00TBj.jpg

Open it in a new tab to see it in all the 1805 * 1268 pixels glory

Though most of my favourites have already been mentioned, here are my additions:
MIURA Kentaro
HANAZAWA Kengo
AZUMA Kiyohiko

Berserk

C'mon I can't be the only one who was heartbroken with the eclipse. I felt like shit for hours. You knew something bad was gonna happen but how brutal it was, specially regarding Caska, was unexpected for me.

Magi

Alibaba like a boss.

We need some Mor now.

Kurita

I think what I like the most about Murata's art is that it's so... clean and clear.
Like you never say "What the hell am I looking at?".

He also did this :

Not surprising when you know that he won the Mega Man "create a vilain" contest. Twice.
He did Crystal Man and Dust Man.

survivor

Banned
Don't Cry, Girl

Funny little story about a high school girl who for some reason finds herself living with a friend of her parents who happens to be a nudist but she actually copes quite well with the new situation given the circumstances. I like the characters a lot, exaggerated as they might be. The ending plays with the genre tropes so that's also a plus in my book.
I love Tomoko Yamashita's brand of humour and the way she draws her girls is beautiful. Have you read her oneshot Mud (or Satanic Sweet)? It has one of the best artistic interpretations of love at first sight.

You should give Onepunch man a chance as the art's fantastic and it doesn't take that long to go through a chapter. It's also pretty damn funny!
I did actually read 10 or so chapters of the manga. The art was great, but it didn't have my kind of humour. I do, however, love the gifs that come out of the manga.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
No, he wasn't. That's not how royalty works. Griffith the the one thing he couldn't get away with. All he had to do was play his cards right after the war and prove that he could hold his own in the political world. He had a legendary war record, the favour of the people, the love of the Princess and the King's approval. Casca and the King even say as much.

But none of that matters when you break the rules of the world like that. In one single night, he undid all of the work he put in and turned himself into a dead man. All calling out the King did was make sure that he'd get all the flesh stripped from his bones first.

I don't think you're replying to what I was referencing.

I was saying that the king never tried to sex up his daughter until Griffith planted the thought into the king's head. Things went way worse for Griffith after the king tried to play bed intruder.

Dresden

think my current favorites that pop to mind are:

Taiyo Matsumoto (Takemitsu Zamurai)
Daisuke Igarashi (Children of the Sea; Witches)
Aki Irie (Ran from a Gray World)
Fumiko Takano (Bou ga Ippon; Yellow Book)
Shinkichi Katou (Baka & Gogh; Obrigado!)

Akito

Murata is godlike with color, that's for sure. Anyway, I'd like to nominate Kakizaki Masasumi (Rainbow, Hideout, Green Blood etc.), Kenji Tsuruta (Spirit of Wonder, Wandering Emanon etc.) and Oh Great (say what you want about his stories but his art is very nice to look at) as some of the finest manga artists out there. Katsura and Obata maybe deserve a mention too.

Suki mo Yoi 01: I Tried Making a Doujinshi

That was pretty funny. Girl basically gets pressured by her mother into making a doujin and then selling it at a con. The style works for it and it was a fun read.

Griffith didn't know why Guts left. So his sudden departure was a surprise. To compound this, he failed to control the situation by losing to Guts. Fearing he was losing control of things, he tried to accelerate his relationship with the princess with less than desirable results.

I believe he just got desperate thinking that his dream was vanishing before his eyes and he panicked. Despite him seeming to be super cool and all, Griffith is driven by deep insecurity. He wanted the kingdom all this time as a way to ensure his security.

This is an explanation I'm okay with. Looking back, it makes sense and I like it.

Wow wait, are you saying the eclipse didn't shock you? I'd say it's one of the more shocking scenes in any manga, depicted excellently in the anime too.

On Griffith, I think its clear that him going into Charlotte's bedroom was a moment of madness and he got caught. Iirc it was on the same night/day that Guts left the Hawks, which is basically the first time he has ever lost anything. At that point, no matter how perfect he appears, he is just a man.

So ManGAF, if you had a behelit would you use it?

I can't say it was predictable, because literally all of my predictions were wrong. :lol But it just wasn't shocking. Terrible? Sure. But not shocking in a way that my jaw dropped. I never trusted Griffith to begin with and we were already shown that he turned into something (my least favorite design, btw) and that Gutts would love to tear him apart. And then you had Zodd, who made it very clear that something life threatening would happen during the eclipse. For me it was all a question of how everyone died, not if.

Stinky

I think what I like the most about Murata's art is that it's so... clean and clear.
Like you never say "What the hell am I looking at?".

He also did this :

Not surprising when you know that he won the Mega Man "create a vilain" contest. Twice.
He did Crystal Man and Dust Man.

Wow^

What I usually notice about Murata's art is the reflections and the shadows.

survivor

Banned
no igarashi?

Completely slipped my mind. I read Witches ages ago and his short story collection wasn't super memorable. I do need to get around to reading Children of the Sea. His enviromental art is phenomenal especially when he goes all out with the double pages spreads.

Murata is godlike with color, that's for sure. Anyway, I'd like to nominate Kakizaki Masasumi (Rainbow, Hideout, Green Blood etc.), Kenji Tsuruta (Spirit of Wonder, Wandering Emanon etc.) and Oh Great (say what you want about his stories but his art is very nice to look at) as some of the finest manga artists out there. Katsura and Obata maybe deserve a mention too.

air_gear_318_flame_red_kazu_by_spitfire95-d3hp8gk.png

If only he made another Kazu like manga character again.

Stinky

I read Witches ages ago because one of you rated it as a 10 on manga updates.

Didn't really like it. I felt cheated

Akito

I love Tomoko Yamashita's brand of humour and the way she draws her girls is beautiful. Have you read her oneshot Mud (or Satanic Sweet)? It has one of the best artistic interpretations of love at first sight.
Yeah I remember reading and liking it. Guess I'll look through her other series and oneshots, the non-yaoi ones at least.

survivor

Banned
So A Girl by the Sea volume 2 hasn't been translated yet as expected (please anyone translate the volume, I beg you translator-kun), however the raws for the second volume have been out for some time. I did skim through it very fast making sure to not spoil anything and it was very hard holding back the temptation to just "read" the entire volume.

There were 4 colour pages that appeared in the magazine when the last chapter was published I believe. You can view them here courtesy of MH. They look awesome, especially the first one.

I guess my favorite artists for characters and expressions is JUNKO. For other manga not in that genre, guess Id give kudos, accolades, and encomium the one of Tegami Bachi, (ASADA Hiroyuki), love the environments, details in the attacks and just small details like stars, the shindan, and more. Ah and Akira Amano for character designs too and her detailed art of the boxes and rings.

Soma

For favorite manga artists, I'll toss Tsutomu Nihei's name into the ring.

As much as I love his art and architecture designs though, damn does he need a storyboard assistant or two.

Akito

Adventure of Sinbad ~Prototype~
lol Yunan. Sinbad was always the bad-ass he is now, I expected as much. Oh wow Jafar, this could be fun.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Berserk

C'mon I can't be the only one who was heartbroken with the eclipse. I felt like shit for hours. You knew something bad was gonna happen but how brutal it was, specially regarding Caska, was unexpected for me.

Nah, I thought it was pretty cool.

10% funny.
25% badass
50% cool
10% :O
5% fucked up.

Now that I'm off work, let me continue with the Lost Children arc. Or whatever it's called.

survivor

Banned
I guess my favorite artists for characters and expressions is JUNKO. For other manga not in that genre, guess Id give kudos, accolades, and encomium the one of Tegami Bachi, (ASADA Hiroyuki), love the environments, details in the attacks and just small details like stars, the shindan, and more. Ah and Akira Amano for character designs too and her detailed art of the boxes and rings.
I swear I feel like I have read a Junko manga before, but I'm not sure. I'm gonna read the Umbrella one however.

For favorite manga artists, I'll toss Tsutomu Nihei's name into the ring.

As much as I love his art and architecture designs though, damn does he need a storyboard assistant or two.
His architectural designs are amazing, not to mention he draws some nice action poses. Really he just needs to team up with a good writer and we will end up getting an awesome sci-fi manga.

What's the middle one from? I'd read that. I'd read a lot of that.
It appears that it's just from an artbook but I could be wrong.

Stinky

What's the middle one from? I'd read that. I'd read a lot of that.

Sorry to disappoint, but its not from anything.

Check out Blanc et Noir, Obata's artbook. He has Death Note stuff in it but also original stuff, Hikaru no Go and Yoshitsune Ki art.

upandaway

Adventure of Sinbad

This was pretty neat but not too crazy until Ja'far (which was OMG WAT OH OHHHHHH OH). There's no way this is it, right? Even part 2 or part 5 won't be enough, I need everything. Hell keep the artist if you must, it wasn't even that bad.

I can sort of imagine now how everyone important and their mother know/have met Yunan, haha. Dude just jogs around the earth. And maybe I understood it wrong, but it seemed like Yunan was the one who made the first dungeon appear.

Adventure of Sinbad

Sinbad is a boss since the beggining. Surprised to see Drakon there.

I wonder if they will do more adventures of Sinbad.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think asano is great at creating incredibly beautiful symbolic and emotional scenes. Just needs to Photoshop photos into his manga less.

Art doesn't have to be just technical. Being able to compose images full of meaning is another aspect of art. Though I do love his character design.

The ending panels of solanin's final concert was incredibly emotional to me.

Wiseblade

Magi ~Prototype~

What happened to Sinbad emerging alone from the Dungeon? Even Sinbad's own flashback showed him conquering the dungeon alone.

Kurita

Art doesn't have to be just technical. Being able to compose images full of meaning is another aspect of art.

True.

I remember being overwhelmed when I read the final pages of Scott Pilgrim. It was just Scott and Ramona slowly fading away, then you had a blank page and still... Powerful.

7Th

Why not both? Art that's both creative and emotional and technically proficient. That's what Igarashi is all about, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom