• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Kaiji Part 3 - vol 10

Misunderstanding of the fucking century. 160 millions yen on the line and Kaiji will be losing his organs just because these assholes wouldn't believe that Kaiji is broke as hell.

dat secret tenpai hand, Kaiji you clever bastard.

Akito

Assassination Classroom 17
The kidnapping incident was stupid. And do they even attempt to kill Korosensei anymore?

Yeah seriously, if you rank loli witch lower than isidora and puck than your opinion is literally officially worst.

So basically I'm fucked lol

From my early impressions I'd say in terms of use to the party she's top 3 along with Puck (healing dust is hax) and Serpico (great fighter and intelligent) for her magic abilities and understanding of the dead world. Character wise ehh hasn't done anything for me yet outside of being the spank the "bad kids" (aka Isidoro and Puck) character along with Evarella.

I can't really rank Casca because like she's almost not really a character. She doesn't talk, she has no memory, and honestly she seems like more of an object for Gutts and pals to protect then a full character. Now I don't have a problem with the quiet/naive character arch type who doesn't understand or talk and often wanders into trouble, but in Casca's case it annoys me because she was a strong, competent female character for the first 80 chapters of the series. The golden age did a far better job then most manga I've read as making Casca both a strong warrior/leader and a female and it gave her character a lot of depth and she worked well with Gutts and Griffith. Now she just serves to remind Gutts of the past and be a constant conflict for him. It doesn't help that this naive Casca seems to get almost raped every 25ish chapters.

What's SAO?

The most popular anime of last year, also the worst

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh yeah, I think I've heard about it last year. What's so bad about it?

I've pretty much fallen off the anime train.

Wiseblade

Some dude creates an MMO fopr the Oculus Rift and on the launch day announces that you can't log out and if you die in the game you die in real life. The first 9-10 episodes are a fun parody/deconstruction of the MMO genre and the way people behave when playing them, while the rest devolves into melodramatic incest rescue arc garbage.

It starts off with this great premise of 10000 people trapped in a virtual reality MMO game where they must clear all 100 floors before they can log out and if they die in game they die IRL and if someone tries to forcefully remove them from the game they'll also die.

What it turns into is the ultimate gary stu series where out main character is mister perfect both in the game and in the real world. Characters make illogical conclusions the plot jumps all over the place (lots of pointless vignettes that go nowhere and serve no purpose) and half way though the series decides "oh this is a love story first and foremost" and shoves the love so much you'll get sick of it.

Alright.

That sounds pretty bad.

To be fair it is a hilarious train wreck of a series and I do highly recommend it for that reason alone. It's one of those "so bad it's good" series where moments that are supposed to be emotionally taxing and powerful end up being hysterical.

survivor

Banned
Firehawk can probably tell you more. Let me dig up his post from the finale.

While you find his post about the finale, here is one from episode 24

I just can't believe this episode. Not only is it a pile of shit, but it's made up of three different types of shit, mixed together in some horrific pile of shit soup that represents everything that is wrong with the fandom. Heavy handed writing, shitty wishfulfillment, and SyFy with a capital "S". It almost makes me want to watch Prometheus because when Lindelof screws me, I probably would hate myself less when he's doing it.

The last two weeks of Homeland made me believe that I was seeing the worst of television unfold before my eyes, but SAO manages to exceed my expectations of bad television. I assume that there are only two more episodes of this show and then I can walk away from this shitshow for good.

Wiseblade

To be fair it is a hilarious train wreck of a series and I do highly recommend it for that reason alone. It's one of those "so bad it's good" series where moments that are supposed to be emotionally taxing and powerful end up being hysterical.

The one thing I like about the back half is that the ending is just open enough to allow the interpretation that the entire cast is INSANE.

Alright.

That sounds pretty bad.

As the best selling (original non sequel anime of 2012) and the most widely talked about anime series, it is probably worth checking out. Really only a small group of people on this site thought it was bad while it has had widely popular and good response elsewhere, as at the end of the day it was an interesting and fun experience seeing the trapped in the MMO world type plot and drama surrounding it as well as its second superior arc.

Still, I dont see how it compares to Assassination Classroom, which it doesnt feel as if the writer is wasting the premise in just 17 chapters by focusing on getting the students to improve themselves and beat the odds of the designation of class e, while under the leadership of Korosensei, the one their tasked to kill.

Akito

It's more about the life lessons for the kids than the assassination at some point, really.
What Wiseblade said. I understand that he's trying to make them become "proper" students despite being in the thrash bin class but the assassinations are what make the series unique. And it's kinda hard to show their growth if Matsui is just keeping on introducing more professional assassins. But I approve of the AI one.

Jintor

I would take the critical opinion from animeGAF over an anime's overall popularity and market performance, at least in regards to how well a show would jive with my tastes.

survivor

Banned
Assassination Classroom is just in milking territory with those sales. Matsui probably doesn't give a crap about advancing the story now especially when he can write shit load of school adventures filler.

Eusis

People probably just liked the jumping-off-the-rails scene that much. Actually it's the only reason I even really care to check it out.

Wiseblade

Damn man, that's a pretty scathing review.

What gives the criticism legitimacy is SAO's popularity. It's at the point where I almost think less of a person for enjoying the programme as a whole. There are too many downright revolting story/character tropes to ignore, and I prefer to pretend that the audience that actually like those things doesn't exist.

I tried watching F/Z with a friend, about 30 minutes into the first episode we were both confused as to what the hell was going on. Was it a "stick with it" kind of series or did we both just miss something during the first episode?

Jintor

Includes animegaf just means that they had a weight on the overall popularity enough to push it down to 14th. Nonetheless, popularity is not a reliable indicator of quality.

survivor

Banned
Great, now I'm reading the Shit Otaku Say tumblr again. Time to lose my faith in humanity...

As it was stated earlier, Azunyan is 17 (and 18 in the manga now I believe). By most standards that is easily considered a young lady. From a medical perspective she is obviously post-menarche, and if seduced properly, Azunyan would be physically capable of giving you an evening filled with wonders. Of course she maintains her petite figure and youthful appearance, most likely due to genetics, so it would be impossible to blame anybody for wanting to impregnate her.
oh god, Extollere saying crazy things again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Great, now I'm reading the Shit Otaku Say tumblr again. Time to lose my faith in humanity...

There's a lot of AnimeGAF on there from the looks of it. Seems like we don't qualify for some reason. Do we not argue about dumb shit? Do we not rage when something's bad? Do we not rage against each other when something's good?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I tried watching F/Z with a friend, about 30 minutes into the first episode we were both confused as to what the hell was going on. Was it a "stick with it" kind of series or did we both just miss something during the first episode?

The first episode is one that makes much more sense as the show goes on and on a second run through. It's plot heavy exposition that is unrelenting. Only a few enjoyed it and honest it shouldn't scare you from watching the rest of the show. Watch until episode 4 - I know that's a lot of time - to make your judgment.

Akito

If you're not familiar with the Fate franchise, it will take sometime for FZ to click with you. Definitely keep on going.

survivor

Banned
There's a lot of AnimeGAF on there from the looks of it. Seems like we don't qualify for some reason. Do we not argue about dumb shit? Do we not rage when something's bad? Do we not rage against each other when something's good?

Nobody from mangaf is sending them shit.

Jintor

Extol is one of the finest comedic minds I've ever encountered. That he's most likely at some level serious about it only adds to the hilarity.

The first episode is one that makes much more sense as the show goes on and on a second run through. It's plot heavy exposition that is unrelenting. Only a few enjoyed it and honest it shouldn't scare you from watching the rest of the show. Watch until episode 4 - I know that's a lot of time - to make your judgment.

I'm willing to wait pretty long amounts of time IE I played though Ever 17 despite being completely bored 80% of the time because that last 20% was so incredible it made the other 80% worth it.

If you're not familiar with the Fate franchise, it will take sometime for FZ to click with you. Definitely keep on going.

Isn't it based upon a VN series of games? Does playing the game/s first help explain whats going on?

wonzo

Banned
Isn't it based upon a VN series of games? Does playing the game/s first help explain whats going on?
It's based on a book that takes place before the events of the main series so you can simply watch Fate/Zero and ignore the rest as everything else is shite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom