• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm willing to wait pretty long amounts of time IE I played though Ever 17 despite being completely bored 80% of the time because that last 20% was so incredible it made the other 80% worth it.

Isn't it based upon a VN series of games? Does playing the game/s first help explain whats going on?

Fate/Zero is a prequel to Fate/Stay Night which is a VN. F/Z is an LN and the show is an adaptation of it. F/Z is however 10000000000000000x better than F/SN. Avoid F/SN altogether and just watch F/Z.

Eh, I don't remember him hyping the show.

No. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case. Dresden on the other hand.... lol but it was a different kind of hype.

you sure?

ok then, crisis somewhat averted :p

Berserk

So basically I'm fucked lol

I can't really rank Casca because like she's almost not really a character. She doesn't talk, she has no memory, and honestly she seems like more of an object for Gutts and pals to protect then a full character. Now I don't have a problem with the quiet/naive character arch type who doesn't understand or talk and often wanders into trouble, but in Casca's case it annoys me because she was a strong, competent female character for the first 80 chapters of the series. The golden age did a far better job then most manga I've read as making Casca both a strong warrior/leader and a female and it gave her character a lot of depth and she worked well with Gutts and Griffith. Now she just serves to remind Gutts of the past and be a constant conflict for him. It doesn't help that this naive Casca seems to get almost raped every 25ish chapters.

I actually dont mind new Caska as much since her reactions/expressions are amusing most of the time but yea the thing holding this version back is the fact you remember her as a much more competent and strong character who just sadly couldn't take it.

Akito

Assassination Classroom 28
Oh hey, some progression, until that last couple of pages the chapter was a completely waste of time.

GManDH

Torikowas awesome this week but i need to know something. are they going to kill ppl and then have new villains or are we going to time skip and have a whole new story??

survivor

Banned
Kaiji Part 3 - vol 11

And another draw after too much struggling and mind games. It honestly kinda expected with 2 volumes left. No they would have dragged the last 2 discards for that long. Not even Fukumoto with all his insane inner monologues and random imagery can delay something this game for that long.

I'm more curious about the outcome. If Kaiji wins he is pretty much set, but then there is Part 4. However if he loses he is sorta fucked unless Kazuya decides to fuck around with Kaiji even more and spares him.

Akito

Assassination Classroom (caught up)
The fight between the tentacle brothers confirmed a couple of things that you might have predicted so far. I suppose that Korosensei was a human rather than being an artificial creature, the same for Itona. I didn't really care for the sports tournament.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Silver Spoon 70

yhswnvK.png

Lolololol.

Jojolion 19

Hide yo wallets. The street is gonna rob you Josuke.

Break Blade 62

The story is moving quickly, thats good.

Karate Minoru 199

wow didnt expect that

Pandora Hearts 82

Uncle Oscaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar ;_________;

Shibatora 113

boy-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

survivor

Banned
Kaiji Part 3 - vol 12

Oh wow, this match is the best. No more spying, no more knowledge of the opponent's hand so you gotta be more creative in cheating. I still have no fucking clue why Kaiji decided to go to the bathroom. I'm 100% sure his plan didn't just rely on running back and catching Muraoka in the act cheating. That's just like Kaiji. I'm sure he somehow manipulated his hand and is deceiving Muraoka.

One more volume to go, I hope the conclusion is gonna be good.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This chapter marks a pretty big shift on how Shadow Business operates. They went full terrorist mode there.

I suppose, though they have burned down a school just to cover up a robbery before. I meant my comment more along the lines of the tone of the manga. Before the murder, everyone was ok at the end of each arc and everything turned out as well as could be expected.

I suppose, though they have burned down a school just to cover up a robbery before. I meant my comment more along the lines of the tone of the manga. Before the murder, everyone was ok at the end of each arc and everything turned out as well as could be expected.

You are right. Bodies everywhere, this arc will not end well even if they stop Shadow Business.

fertygo

Kaiji Part 3 - vol 12

Oh wow, this match is the best. No more spying, no more knowledge of the opponent's hand so you gotta be more creative in cheating. I still have no fucking clue why Kaiji decided to go to the bathroom. I'm 100% sure his plan didn't just rely on running back and catching Muraoka in the act cheating. That's just like Kaiji. I'm sure he somehow manipulated his hand and is deceiving Muraoka.

One more volume to go, I hope the conclusion is gonna be good.
Its awesome, FKMT da god.

Worse than you can imagine.

You are scaring me.

Have you ever read Psychometrer Eiji? Its set in the same universe of Shibatora and it occurs before it.

Theres some cameos there, the most notable its the little fat crossdresser. In Eiji it shows how he comes to love crossdressing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You are scaring me.

Have you ever read Psychometrer Eiji? Its set in the same universe of Shibatora and it occurs before it.

Theres some cameos there, the most notable its the little fat crossdresser. In Eiji it shows how he comes to love crossdressing.

No shit? Maybe I'll read it.

As far as the future of this manga goes, it apparently gets pretty bad before a nice ending.

Also what the hell just happened at the end of this month's Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun? That's a hell of a cliffhanger. Also what the hell is with the sparkles after he tells her to go to hell?

survivor

Banned
Kaiji Part 3 - vol 13 End
isREOMxJwB9hk.jpg

That was beautiful. Kaiji really beat some impossible odds. Muraoka had knowledge of all the tiles in the game, the walls, Kaiji's hands and his discards and yet Kaiji still prevailed. I knew that bathroom trip had more to it, but I didn't expect he planned that shit out 2 rounds ago. What a risky move.

One amusing thing about this series is that the entire 13 volumes only covered one night. That's some amazing Fukumoto pacing. I'm excited for Part 4 now. Will probably read it near the end of the year when translations will hopefully be done.

Oh yeah, parts ranking:

1 > 3 > 2

Toriko

Great chapter. A regenerating centaur who even after his cells are smashed to smithereens, his cells regenerate and multiply creating copies of himself. No Toriko next week :(

The Demon Prince of the Momochi House 01

ObKN86a.jpg

Definitely feels like an average shoujo, which is ok since at least the lead girl is more proactive.

But, basically, girl with no family inherits a house that's has three guys already living in it. Also, supernatural stuff happens, etc etc.

I do like the art and once again the assertive shoujo lead so will keep reading.

survivor

Banned
The Demon Prince of the Momochi House 01

http://i.imgur.com/ObKN86a.jpg[IMG]

Definitely feels like an average shoujo, which is ok since at least the lead girl is more proactive.

But, basically, [B]girl with no family inherits a house that's has three guys already living in it. Also, supernatural stuff happens[/B], etc etc.

I do like the art and once again the assertive shoujo lead so will keep reading.[/QUOTE]

Kamisama Kiss 2.0?

Kusagari

Beelzebub

Kind of a lame chapter. Though Aoi's face when she realized Beel was in Oga's body was hilarious.

Toriko

Great chapter. Elg seems ridiculously hax. Could Buranchi actually die here?

wonzo

Banned
What a Wonderful World 1-19 END

Another nice little collection of short stories that are kinda connected to each other in some fairly loose way. Shit, now all that's left are the two short stories from his artbook and then I'll have run out of all of the translated stuff of his. ;_;

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Beelzebub

Kind of a lame chapter. Though Aoi's face when she realized Beel was in Oga's body was hilarious.

Toriko

Great chapter. Elg seems ridiculously hax. Could Buranchi actually die here?

your avatar is great

upandaway

Kaiji Part 3 - vol 9

Oh man, that last panel is amazing. I can't wait for Kaiji to let it all out on Maeda and Miyoshi.
It was pretty amazing

Kaiji Part 3 - vol 13 End
isREOMxJwB9hk.jpg

That was beautiful. Kaiji really beat some impossible odds. Muraoka had knowledge of all the tiles in the game, the walls, Kaiji's hands and his discards and yet Kaiji still prevailed. I knew that bathroom trip had more to it, but I didn't expect he planned that shit out 2 rounds ago. What a risky move.

One amusing thing about this series is that the entire 13 volumes only covered one night. That's some amazing Fukumoto pacing. I'm excited for Part 4 now. Will probably read it near the end of the year when translations will hopefully be done.

Oh yeah, parts ranking:

1 > 3 > 2
Your impressions were really fun and I relived the entire thing. I'm glad you came around to the whole mahjong business, see it wasn't that bad.

Exactly like you, vol 7 was when I really suspected that Part 3 is all about the same game in the same room and everything. Honestly I freaked out because I love that kinda thing. By the end of the 13 volumes that room with that plant and that desk and that sofa feel as natural as your own room, haha.

Part 4 is still unfinished so I'm honestly thinking of waiting until it is finished and fully translated (should be ok at the pace they're going). It's just wrong to read anything FKMT while it's still ongoing.

upandaway

Toriko

That's it for Buranchi? Huh. Then the only chef that could possibly do something is Setsuno.

Really curious if Buranchi can do that Enel think where he shocks his own heart into life when it stops beating.

Is it safe to jump straight into Kaiji Part 3 if I've only seen the two anime series?
Yeah just make sure to brush up on mahjong beforehand.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Rose of Versailles 11

Oh oscar. <3 Manliest person in the court and she's not even a man.

Gawd, I can now see when everything is starting to fall though.

Azure J

I don't think you can feel any shonen by following it chapter-to-chapter. the amount of storytelling is just too low.

Pretty much why I've begun to let a bunch of chapters stockpile recently.

Or that could just be me forgetting things until last second, who knows? :p

I wish if Soul Eater were a weekly sometimes...

Toriko

That's it for Buranchi? Huh. Then the only chef that could possibly do something is Setsuno.

Really curious if Buranchi can do that Enel think where he shocks his own heart into life when it stops beating.
Highly doubt it. He still has not used his ultimate attack or his demon cells.
I don't think you can feel any shonen by following it chapter-to-chapter. the amount of storytelling is just too low.

Beelzebub is a comedy, and the story in this manga does not mean anything to me. But i am finding the laughs not frequent at all. And sometimes i don´t laugh at all at certain chapters.

upandaway

I have more fun with Medaka Box weekly than not (that's the only shonen where that happens though..). And for other non-episodic series, it's usually more enjoyable for me to read them at the time of release than let them pile up (either way, I'm waiting the same time, and >month = me forgetting everything).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom