• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kodomo no Jikan 92

So there was a time-skip but Kokonoe is the only one still that looks like a 10 year old kid?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!1111

Griffith will survive, turn good again and dedicate his beautiful kingdom to Guts.

Fuck that, if there's a manga character that deserves a happy ending, that's Guts.

Griffith should die painfully as the ultimate asshole he is.

survivor

Banned
Touch vol 4

4 volumes in and it's all been spent about Tatsuya unwillingness to accept his destiny and play baseball, but the pacing was so god damn good. When reading these volumes, time just flies by and I never feel bored.

Kurita

Bought some mangas...
HlkdkD0.png

survivor

Banned
Touch vol 5

I'm thinking about it and Minami is really putting a lot of pressure on Katsuya. So her team is to go to the Koshien, but well since she can't play she is making Katsuya do that. Poor guy, imagine if he actually doesn't care about getting there, but he has to anyway cause of Minami. Tatsuya is much luckier, playing boxing where nobody cares about him or expects much from him.

Will read tomorrow, always heard it was a great shoujo.
With covers like this

It's bound to be decent

The original name is Saint Young Men. There are only three volumes translated IIRC and it seems like the guy doing it dropped the translations.

Oh, so that's why I couldn't find it. It's a shame that the translation was dropped. You need to start your own scanlation group. ;)

survivor

Banned
Touch vol 6

What a tense baseball game. I thought that would be the one where Kazuya loses, but I suppose not. There is still the final game so anything can happen there. I wasn't sure of Kazuya's plan during the game, the other people hinted that he planned something, but I don't know baseball lingo. Still the game was enjoyable to read even if all this batting and base talk goes over my head.

The romance developments have been pretty good even if they haven't been the major focus. It's nice to see it develop very slowly in a relaxed manner like this.

The World God Only Knows 223

Glad the story is progressing again and I genuinely enjoyed those panels with Dokuro and Elsie having a tug of war over Keima.

Not exactly thrilled its going on break next week.

Kurita

Pretty late, but thanks for sharing this. I've been listening to this non-stop lately. I also found the movie for only $9! I think it was a steal considering I would have spent like $30 just to download it off itunes. Can't wait to watch it whenever I have that free night.

:lol You're welcome.

(is your avatar Motohiro Hata by the way? Nice.)

Princess Resurrection 86

This development would've had considerably more impact if the author's execution wasn't so sloppy. T minus 1 chapter remaining.

Tower of God 2: 57

Oh boy, so there's an additional qualifying round. 1-bullet Team Deathmatch?

Black Joke 1-3

PKDX8Yw.jpg

I really don't know how I should feel about this. I thought the first chapter was pretty bad, but the setting in general is alright. I really don't like the art, especially the action scenes and the face of the main character's partner. Not to mention the semi-realistic setting and then the overly ridiculous shit that happens, like the Italian mobster who got paralyzed after an attack, then build his own high tech wheelchair and hunts the attacker in his Ferrari down with it. He killed him by him over with his super wheelchair. What sounds potentially awesome, comes over as ridiculous and stupid.

I'll finish this volume and then decide whether to drop it or not.

Lain

Bought some mangas...

You bought Switch Girl!! ? Well son, you did good. I love Switch Girl!!, one of the few shojo that can be so outrageously funny and keep the drama despite all the comedy.

With covers like this

It's bound to be decent

It's better than decent!
I've posted impressions on Switch Girl!! in the past. It's a great, great shojo. Some of the best parts are the author's column though where she gives tips about certain stuff described in the manga.
Also that cover is on the volume that has an entire chapter with the characters drawn in that style. It was... manly.

survivor

Banned
It's better than decent!
I've posted impressions on Switch Girl!! in the past. It's a great, great shojo. Some of the best parts are the author's column though where she gives tips about certain stuff described in the manga.
Also that cover is on the volume that has an entire chapter with the characters drawn in that style. It was... manly.
Hmm, I think I will move it higher on the backlog list. There is good 7 volumes translated so that should be enough to get a feeling of the manga.

Yupppp. The worst part is you realize what happened long before it gets explicitly shown.

I kept having hope that it's just a leg injury or something like that then I saw the reveal :(

Black Joke 4

Apparently that wheelchair story from earlier was slightly exaggerated, but that didn't stop the mangaka to come up with an even more ridiculous scene.

5N09L3R.jpg

O1EbkpF.jpg

ZZduAHm.jpg

So bad it's good?

Kurita

Oh, so that's why I couldn't find it. It's a shame that the translation was dropped. You need to start your own scanlation group. ;)

I'm afraid my English skills are not good enough for this.
And translating something that is already a translation/adaptation can't end well.

Assassination Classroom 36-37

Really enjoyed the baseball game, glad to see class E finally win at something, can't wait to see the repercussions next week.

survivor

Banned
So is Yen Press really gonna be calling it No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! or just stick with WataMote?

survivor

Banned
Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai vol 1
sqSwT0P.jpg

I have always wanted to read Ai Yazawa manga, but I kept putting it off for some dumb reason. Seeing how she wrote a lot of shoujo manga, I figured it's better to start with the earliest translated available one and work from there. At least I will be able to see her art and writing progresses and hopefully improves.

The first volume was solid. Sure it doesn't have the most original setup. It's a story of love at first sight between Akira and Midori who both become president and vice president of the student council respectively. However, without any gimmicks, the story has to rely on writing, natural character development, and pacing to make it fun to read. And so far it's done well in all these categories. Midori is a very fun and aggressive character who isn't afraid of chasing after Akira and not to mention the side characters have all been decent so far. One good thing that I appreciate is from the start, the story made it clear there won't be any dumb love triangles within the student council so that leaves out a big overused plotline.

One little thing I love is the side notes for ever chapter where Yazawa talks about her characters, her inspiration for each of them, the reason behind their design, and why she likes them. It's a very neat thing and gives a lot of insight about how Yazawa sees her characters.

Sakamoto desu ga? 1-3

That was pretty good. I have to wonder how long it can go before the novelty of it wears off though.

I had the same thoughts about One Punch-Man, but it's still the best shonen currently running. I wish the translation for Swaggamoto was quicker, though.

Griffith

Banned
I had the same thoughts about One Punch-Man, but it's still the best shonen currently running. I wish the translation for Swaggamoto was quicker, though.

True, but One Punch-Man is still relatively new so the gimmick might become stale given more time, although even if it does it has the amazing art to fall back on which Sakamoto doesn't. I can't really see Sakamoto maintaining this past a handful of volumes.

True, but One Punch-Man is still relatively new so the gimmick might become stale given more time, although even if it does it has the amazing art to fall back on which Sakamoto doesn't. I can't really see Sakamoto maintaining this past a handful of volumes.

I can see the series not even being that long, but given those sales, it wouldn't surprise me if it lasts longer than anticipated. But that's what I said earlier, I really want some new translations, because I have no idea where the story might go.

Big One

Banned
But at least he can do something when enemies come around.

See, the problem with the SH's is that by now everyone's shtick has gotten old. If they don't have anything to do outside of their shtick that's interesting, they're wack.
I actually agree with this.

All the SH need to develop their shtick a bit like Usopp did in Enies Lobby.

This recent development for Sanji will actually give Oda a chance to develop Sanji as a character though we'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom