• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see the series not even being that long, but given those sales, it wouldn't surprise me if it lasts longer than anticipated. But that's what I said earlier, I really want some new translations, because I have no idea where the story might go.

No faith in Sakamoto? Its been going since 2011, it shouldnt be getting stale I guess, in the context of the series still running.

Stinky

Sanji needs some development. Dude is being really obnoxious about women ever since the timeskip. I thought after his defeat in Enies Lobby at the hands of the soap woman would have made him break his mantra, but that was like 8 years ago and he still aint do shit.

Him and Zoro need to have more bro-operation moments as well. They bicker but they're totally DTL for each other.

Sanji needs some development. Dude is being really obnoxious about women ever since the timeskip. I thought after his defeat in Enies Lobby at the hands of the soap woman would have made him break his mantra, but that was like 8 years ago and he still aint do shit.

Him and Zoro need to have more bro-operation moments as well. They bicker but they're totally DTL for each other.

I really like Sanji when he's serious, but god damn, do I wish he died between part 1 and 2.

survivor

Banned
Apart from one manga in that magazine, in a quick random pick of 15 series seems most of them are three volumes or less. (and complete). I guess it wont be many volumes.

Makes sense. Fellows magazine only has 26 issues out so most series published in the magazine won't have that many volumes out. However now that they switched format, there should be more chapters/volumes out faster.

I wouldn't worry about Sakamoto ending early to be honest. Off the top of my head, it's probably the second best selling manga they are publishing (first being A Bride's Story) so I'm sure they will do everything to milk that success.

wonzo

Banned
TWGOK 223

Upbeat and playful Dokuro owns. A shame it's on break for another week. ._.

Centaur Moe 28-30

Racism and pervy aliens aren't very moe at all. :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If you ship people with clashing personalities than wouldn't it be with Kaho? :p

Unless you mean clashing by being very different, instead of actually clashing.

Uh hmm, yeah, I meant very different. Kaho actually has a similar personality as him, though she's cool too.

This manga's brand of humor is fantastic, btw. I adore it so much.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Have you read Kyou Kara Ore Wa?

It's pretty much the same brand of humour, though I think the author has refined it quite a bit in Ocha Nigosu.

Black Joke 1-3

PKDX8Yw.jpg

I really don't know how I should feel about this. I thought the first chapter was pretty bad, but the setting in general is alright. I really don't like the art, especially the action scenes and the face of the main character's partner. Not to mention the semi-realistic setting and then the overly ridiculous shit that happens, like the Italian mobster who got paralyzed after an attack, then build his own high tech wheelchair and hunts the attacker in his Ferrari down with it. He killed him by him over with his super wheelchair. What sounds potentially awesome, comes over as ridiculous and stupid.

I'll finish this volume and then decide whether to drop it or not.

Haha its much more ridiculous than that.

survivor

Banned
Touch vol 8

Poor Tatsuya, got traded away from the boxing club to the baseball club just for a signed picture from Takahashi Rumiko.

Adachi is really taking his time in transforming Tatsuya to Kazuya 2.0. Looking at the volumes count, the first time the school will compete they will probably lose and won't qualify to the Koshien. Unless Adachi really halts down the pacing of the manga and spends more time on the games, I can't see them only competing for one tournament.

I've read it and I didn't think it was as ridiculous. However, the fight that followed ... well, I posted the beginning of it on the last page. I'm pretty sure I' going to drop it.

Funny thing is I pretty much love this manga specifically because its so ridiculous.

Anyways 7 seed 1-6, I was sold from the first chapter I am really enjoying the premise though as of now the characters are as cliched as fuck.

Rinne no Lagrange: Akatsuki no Memoria 10

Should have definitely expected the manga would put the memoria there and then make her even go full on nekkid to have us see it, I cant. At least we were back to good ole Ovid action and potentially everyone against these renegades and bandits.

Still oftentimes, the manga is much better than some of the anime.

Funny thing is I pretty much love this manga specifically because its so ridiculous.

Anyways 7 seed 1-6, I was sold from the first chapter I am really enjoying the premise though as of now the characters are as cliched as fuck.

Good to hear. Keep going, it gets pretty great.

This was bought to you by the 7 Seeds Defense Force

I'd probably like it more if the art wasn't so terrible.

Also, it's rare too see someone enjoying 7 Seeds right from the beginning. Not all of the characters are as cliched as they seem.

survivor

Banned
Adachi's best work is still H2, in my opinion.

So many feels reading that one, although it's unfortunate that the best girl chose the wrong guy at the end :(

Although Touch is indeed a good read too.

H2 is gonna be next on the list of Adachi manga to read. In fact, I'm planning on reading every major work he wrote in the next 3 months.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Medaka Box 188

I didn't ever expect to be able to read Medaka Box that fast. There's going to be a huge troll at the end of all this, I just know it.

Kusagari

Medaka Box 188

This is getting so hilariously stupid it's amazing. It will be even better if this group, especially considering it has FRESH and Hanten, are already beaten at the start of next chapter.

Still expecting Anshin'in at the end.

Black Joke 9

Dodging a bullet by doing a backflip into the car.

e5D8wau.jpg

Yeah, I'm done here. I usually like it when it gets ridiculous, but this manga does nothing for me and that guy's face just pisses me off to no end.

survivor

Banned
Solanin
LFHr0RW.jpg
C3u7Xim.jpg

Well, I finally got around to watch this. I kept putting it off cause I liked the feeling that there are some Asano related works that I can experience through for the first time. Plus I always feared this adaptation will suck so I was hesitant to watch it.

For far better or worse, the movie followed the manga's plot too closely. There few minor scenes here and there that were left out or changed, but outside of that, it was a very faithful adaptation. Which is fine since the source material didn't get butchered, but the movie felt too safe. It didn't do anything to stand out.

The movie handled most of the key scenes very well, especially the final concert which exceeded my expectations. However, there was some screwups. For example, Asano's signature use of black panels with text on them for characters thoughts or narration just doesn't translate well to movies. A particular key scene involving Taneda ended up being not as emotional as manga version. I also missed Asano's close up panels which that particular scene was completely changed in the movie to this inferior take.

Essentially what I'm trying to get at is that I missed Asano's quirks and writing style in this movie. For example, all these surreal bizarre scenes like Taneda's inner thoughts or Billy's Moon visit are gone from the movie. Also all the small comedic moments between all the characters are gone which detracted a lot from developing them and all their charm was gone. Meiko in particular suffered a lot from these cuts. She just didn't feel strong and had a weak presence throughout the movie. Which is totally different from manga Meiko who in the second half was dedicated to accomplishing her goal and was just a better lead character.

In the end it's still Solanin and will recommend it to any fan of the original story. However, without the Asano touch, the manga is still the far superior version. This movie is also a further proof that an adaptation of Punpun is nearly impossible.

Antiwhippy

Blade of the Immortal 202

Dh21fgl.png

God this chapter was badass.

Nice reflections on the man Habaki has become, as well as what happened to the itto-ryu. It really has been a series of loss, death and regret.

duckroll

So, the Magi anime ended today. They "adapted" 116 chapters in 25 episodes for season 1. They announced Season 2 (specifically the Magnostadt arc) will start Fall 2013. The next season will definitely have to be 2-cour, since they'll probably be adapting everything up to where the manga is now and beyond that. There are 62 more chapters now, but a year from now there should be another 50 chapters.

Sounds like it's just right if the anime plans on adapting everything and the manga ends in a year's time. When Magi ends at Chapter 230 or whatever, I will be back to post icalledit.gif over and over! Don't forget me! :p

Medaka Box 188

So many fantastic fight scenes this chapter. I knew she was going to get through things relatively quickly, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite this fast.

Akito

Adachi's best work is still H2, in my opinion.

So many feels reading that one, although it's unfortunate that the best girl chose the wrong guy at the end :(

Although Touch is indeed a good read too.
That's why it cannot be his best work.
It does handle the baseball part better than any of his other works.

Antiwhippy

Pretty Face 1

Man, things escalated pretty quickly. One moment you're nearly dead, the next moment you have the face of your crush and living in her house as her sister.

So, the Magi anime ended today. They "adapted" 116 chapters in 25 episodes for season 1. They announced Season 2 (specifically the Magnostadt arc) will start Fall 2013. The next season will definitely have to be 2-cour, since they'll probably be adapting everything up to where the manga is now and beyond that. There are 62 more chapters now, but a year from now there should be another 50 chapters.

Sounds like it's just right if the anime plans on adapting everything and the manga ends in a year's time. When Magi ends at Chapter 230 or whatever, I will be back to post icalledit.gif over and over! Don't forget me! :p

You are still going on about that huh :D

Antiwhippy

Aaaaaaaand it's on the list.

Do it, honestly I feel that the main plot is kinda aimless now as we're reaching the finale, but it's full of pretty amazing fights, fantastic art, and some pretty good drama here and there.

Also the violence is basically art, with the way he depicts it. The sheer brutality of it can be beautiful at times.

Your lists keep getting bigger and bigger. I wonder if you get intimidated and not start at all with reading the list ;)

You know what's worst? I still start reading manga that weren't even on my list. I dropped Black Joke and for some reason I don't remember, I started with Gangsta instead. It was pretty late, so I don't even know why or how I picked it up and if it even has a good translation group behind it. It has only 19 chapters so far, so that's not a big deal, but I should stop reading stuff that wasn't on my list. :lol

Wiseblade

You know what's worst? I still start reading manga that weren't even on my list. I dropped Black Joke and for some reason I don't remember, I started with Gangsta instead. It was pretty late, so I don't even know why or how I picked it up and if it even has a good translation group behind it. It has only 19 chapters so far, so that's not a big deal, but I should stop reading stuff that wasn't on my list. :lol

You know what the solution to that is? Not to have a list. I'm free to entertain any whim or recommendation that comes my way!

Stinky

Anyone here read manga on their tablet? I'm thinking of getting a Galaxy Tab.

to be clear, not looking for app recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom