• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Anyone here read manga on their tablet? I'm thinking of getting a Galaxy Tab.

to be clear, not looking for app recommendations.

Yeah I read manga sometimes on the Galaxy Tab. Like DTL said, make sure it's bigger than 7 inches cause when I tried reading on the PlayBook, it was awful.

You know what's worst? I still start reading manga that weren't even on my list. I dropped Black Joke and for some reason I don't remember, I started with Gangsta instead. It was pretty late, so I don't even know why or how I picked it up and if it even has a good translation group behind it. It has only 19 chapters so far, so that's not a big deal, but I should stop reading stuff that wasn't on my list. :lol

That's why my list is only ongoing series I actually read or completed series. I always whim or interest read somewhat based upon my own interest and sometime on what this thread recommend/is freaking out about

survivor

Banned
Touch vol 9

Reading this volume really made me realize my baseball lingo knowledge is crap, I gotta brush up on that. It's nice seeing that Minami isn't just designated to be the manager character archetype and is actually participating in a different sport and doing her own thing separately from Tatsuya. Well I do wish she played a different more interesting sports (fuck rhythmic gymnastic), but I suppose Adachi really wanted her to participate in an individual sport.

upandaway

TWGOK

Keima.. gamer...

MBUHpX2.png

Medaka Box

Yeah.. like I thought, everyone are skipped. For how much they're hyping up Kumagawa, I'm now expecting him to either not be included with some accompanying one-liner, or for him to not be the last one with some accompanying one-liner.

Seeing FRESH was hilarious. He's not even fodder now! How Medaka Box-y.

survivor

Banned
20th Century Boys vol 6
w7wN6wt.jpg

Well, a lot of coincidental events have happened in this volume and some of them are a bit too ridiculous. So Otcho been stuck in prison for 14 years and somehow he got the entire place under his control? Digging tunnels, able to escape the chains, and somehow getting all these equipments? You would think in 14 years they would change his cell room. Then apparently just when he is near finishing his plan, he gets that mangaka prisoner who is willing to help him. And that dude helps him by drawing a wall on a paper to cover the tunnel hole? I don't know, it just seems too ridiculous. Not to mention they already know about the assassination plot of the pope from a prisoner? How did that prisoner even get that information? And I still don't like this shift of focus to Kanna, it still feels too disjointed and abrupt.

Anyway, I'm thinking about the list of mysteries presented and this is what I got so far

- Who is Friend?
- What's the deal with the robot Kanna sees in the future (2014?)
- In the beginning of the manga in 1973, someone plays rock music in the school. What's the deal with that?
- In the school reunion, someone raises his hand for the spoon bending incident. Who was it?
- What happened to Kanna's mother?
- Who are the people that are being thanked for saving the world?
- What happened to Kenji?

I could be missing a few more, but these are the ones I can think of right now.

Kurita

Saint Young Men vol.5

Where Jesus and Bouddha become firefighters, throw a party for the New Year...
And now, I have to wait several months for the next volume :(

survivor

Banned
Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai vol 2
xnIN8ch.jpg

Well that took an interesting turn of events and for the better too. I thought Akira actually liked Hiroko and tried to hide that from Midori, but it turns out she was just the girlfriend of his old tutor. Obviously thinking back it makes sense since Akira never seemed the type of guy to fall in love with a teacher, not to mention he cared about Midori so he wouldn't be fooling around with the teacher when he knows Midori likes him. Speaking of that, I'm very impressed with the way the romance between the main couple progressed. It never felt the main focus of the story and was integrated very well into the main events of the second volume that by the time they actually go on a date you don't feel like the entire story has revolved around Midori trying to ask Akira out.

The pacing has been very brisk so far, but I'm worried about what will happen for the next 6 volumes. Akira and Midori are obviously a couple now and the main hurdle, Hiroko, has been cleared in this volume. I suppose Hiroko's boyfriend coming back from Paris will bring some interesting events, like Akira seeing his old tutor back, but outside of that there doesn't seem to be any obstacles facing the main couple. Well there is the Mamiya thing left and I'm excited to see how it will be resolved since this is actually a true love triangle and I hope Yazawa can resolve it in a good way.

Blood Lad v4 ( up to chp 20)

Braz is really good and needs to stick around, which I guess is happening with the Santa Claus reveal going on there and the spying. But maybe he could team up with Staz and that king of the demons potential plot area. Outside of that, Yoshida continues to be my favorite side character but needs a bit more screentime, and I really missed Wolf around.

New character is really awesome design, the one who swiped Fuyumi away (though how does one look like they listen to British Rock?).

I wonder how much the anime will adapt/

I mentioned earlier how I didn't remember picking this manga up and why I even started reading it. Well, as it turns out, the scanlation group that did Black Joke, pimped the art of this manga in one of their credit pages and was kind enough to mention the name. And for some reason I jumped right into it. I didn't read the synopsis, didn't check the release schedule or any ratings. "What if this group only scanlates bad manga?", "Wasn't Black Joke bad enough already?", "why am I not going back to my ever growing list?". Those are questions I should've asked myself, but never did. It was too late. Literally.

Gangsta 1-5

6tx57MG.jpg

Gangsta is the story of Nicolas and Warrick, two mercenaries, who live in an unnamed city, plagued by the mafia, corruption and prostitution (I assume it's in Italy, because the names of the mafia families sound very Italian, though it might just be an inspiration).

Warrick, the pretty boy and hitman with one eye, and Nicolas, the deaf swordsman (who can talk but prefers sign language), have been together since they were kids. How exactly they ended up running their business "Benriya", isn't clear yet, but there where short flashbacks, so I'm sure it will be shown rather soon than later. As Benriya they do all kinds of jobs, from delivering packages, to protection and doing the dirty work for Chado, the police officer in charge of that area. Alex, a (former) prostitute and now Benriya's secretary, joins the cast after the first chapter. While she's not exactly weak, she needs her time to get used to the guys and their job.

nOl9aKY.jpg

The art is very rough and honestly I don't like it that much. Sometimes it reminds me of this fake anime crap like Avatar (hi Wiseblade, sweetheart <3). Sometimes it doesn't really feel like a manga and yet, unlike Black Joke, I don't find the art completely terrible. In a way I'd say it's even a bit charming. While it does have it's moments, the art is not a reason to read it. Definitively not a reason for me to drop it either. The action scenes are usually down to earth and only a bit stylized when Nic swings his katana around. Even then I find it well done.

aQjMfcR.jpg

Gangsta is a seinen by mangaka Kosuke, a name I've never heard before and I can't find anything about him or her either. You should give it a try, or not. I don't care (I do). I know that I'll keep reading the remaining chapters (19 of them have been released so far) and hope that the translation won't be super mega slow.

oUXv0bp.jpg

dramatis

Gangsta is a seinen by mangaka Kosuke, a name I've never heard before and I can't find anything about him or her either. You should give it a try, or not. I don't care (I do). I know that I'll keep reading the remaining chapters (19 of them have been released so far) and hope that the translation won't be super mega slow.
It's not super mega slow, more like mega slow.

survivor

Banned
The Earl and the Fairy vol 3

I really want this manga to be good, but everytime the story starts getting fun with the fairies mythology and mystery, it gets dragged back into mediocrity with the shoujo BS. The backstory behind the Fairy Egg and the scheming Goblin are all fun and interesting, but then you get Rosalie and her cliched villain personality and it's all ruined. She is just another rich snob that likes the MC and acts like an asshole to everyone else. Chances are she probably won't be getting any more developments outside of that.

There is only one volume left which should be enough to wrap up the Fairy Egg storyline. From the looks of it there won't be a big conclusive ending since there is shit load of novels not adapted, but I don't think that's a bad thing. There isn't anything new the story can offer outside of adding new fairies and new characters with their own fairies related problems which isn't a big deal if we miss out on it since it's probably not gonna be any good.

Tizoc

One Piece 701-703
Fantastic chapters even if they seemed slow. I just love Oda's world building,
the toys did make my jaw drop, and Rabbi Franky is just freakin' hilarious.
That one-legged toy is gonna join the Straw Hats, I have a feeling. Old Blind Guy kinda resembles Kisaru oddly enough

Unlucky Strike 5 (end)
tumblr_mkjng1bgz21qbxqfpo1_500.png

Ill miss Kikuchi and Akane :( With the curse to make everyone fall for him finally broken things wound down and went back to normal. Liked how they had progressed over the five chapters as Akane really is nice and so good for the teacher, Kikuchi. Good scenes in the nurses office and the bonus funny pages end of volume, with Kikuchi looking up and teary eyed drawn in a really nice style. Hope to see the artist do more.

Stinky

One Piece 701-703
Fantastic chapters even if they seemed slow. I just love Oda's world building,
the toys did make my jaw drop, and Rabbi Franky is just freakin' hilarious.
That one-legged toy is gonna join the Straw Hats, I have a feeling. Old Blind Guy kinda resembles Kisaru oddly enough

He only looks like Kizaru because he's based of a Japanese actor like the rest of the admirals, who can feel a bit out of place in One Piece.

zatoichi_katsu.jpeg

^Uncanny!

I'd hate for the toy to join the strawhats.

Tizoc

He only looks like Kizaru because he's based of a Japanese actor like the rest of the admirals, who can feel a bit out of place in One Piece.

zatoichi_katsu.jpeg

^Uncanny!

I'd hate for the toy to join the strawhats.

Aha!
He's a former admiral or he's the former ruler of Dressrosa
I need to watch that movie already lol.

Oh and Zato-1 from Guilty Gear is a nod to Zato-ichi (ichi=1 in Japanese) in case anyone didn't know =P

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

btw, translator-kun for Tonari no Seki says it's getting an anime. I can't find this news anywhere else so I'm not sure if it's fake or not.

Haven't seen any news reporting that or anything disproving that as an April Fools gag, so dunno. :x

wonzo

Banned
AKB49 121

THE SWEAT WILL WASH AWAY...

THE HATERS!

A shame they can't just chose to vote Yoshinaga off the island stage instead.

Magi 179

Ahh yes, Mogg the Wizard Hitler finally shows his true self to the masses. Hopefully Alibaba, Aladdin, Mu, Scheherazade and Mor
:(
team up to take down this piece of shit before he needlessly kills more people.

Akito

Medaka Box
I'm ready for the troll, give it to me Nisio.

Magi
Is the flashback supposed to make Mogamett more likeable or something? Cause that sure as hell didn't work.

wonzo

Banned
Magi
Is the flashback supposed to make Mogamett more likeable or something? Cause that sure as hell didn't work.
It's to makes him a more tragic figure. A man whom once did things for the good of all that later lost his way after the loss of his daughter.

Akito

It's to makes him a more tragic figure. A man whom once did things for the good of all that later lost his way after the loss of his daughter.
Sure but turning evil after having lost someone dear is like one of the most basic tropes for villains ever so I could hardly sympathize with him, especially when it wasn't even shown what exactly happened with his daughter. Unless I've missed something.

Aha!
He's a former admiral or he's the former ruler of Dressrosa
I need to watch that movie already lol.

Oh and Zato-1 from Guilty Gear is a nod to Zato-ichi (ichi=1 in Japanese) in case anyone didn't know =P

It looks more like he's a current admiral.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh yeah I forgot about that.

btw, translator-kun for Tonari no Seki says it's getting an anime. I can't find this news anywhere else so I'm not sure if it's fake or not.

That would be pretty cool, given the time of year I doubt it though.

Sure but turning evil after having lost someone dear is like one of the most basic tropes for villains ever so I could hardly sympathize with him, especially when it wasn't even shown what exactly happened with his daughter. Unless I've missed something.

It's cliche as hell. Whether the execution is effective is obviously going to vary from person to person. I think it's alright.

survivor

Banned
20th Century Boys vol 7
nGBZssE.jpg

Few notes

- Urasawa is definitely that mangaka character. I wonder what his role will be in the future.
- I'm still not sure how they escaped. They were hiding in some destroyed building in the sea? Why didn't an of the search parties go there? Seems like a logical place to search. Or heck, how did they even let that boat roam around freely. You would think the ywill check every boat in the area.
- If a high school girl can question the logic of Kenji's group being the terrorists from a picture then something is definitely wrong with this cover up. I feel like no one in this universe questions what the government tells them. I guess Friend brainwashed all the intelligent people.
- Speaking of that high school girl, it's funny how she managed to stumble upon that hobo eating his ramen. It's also funny how Otcho and the mangaka just happened to pass by group of homeless people that met a cop that was searching for Kanna. Talk about being lucky lol
- Urasawa is really milking Friend's face reveal shock. That's like what, the third time he does it? And it turns out that it's not their childhood friend that wore masks? Could be just a decoy.
- It's good thing one small mystery was solved and that it was Kenji was played the rock music. Not sure what the significance of the event, I thought there was more to it since the manga did start with it.
- I'm really annoyed how Urasawa insists on making Yukiji stay out of trouble. It's like everytime the group faces something danger they all turn to Yukiji and tell her to buzz off, take care of Kanna, or go back cause she is a woman. Really annoying especially when she is like one of the only 3 characters of the group that has good personality.

Reading the first volume of Switch Girl.
So good, read it survivor bro.
Arata is husbando material.
hype

[20th Century Boys]

Welcome to UrasawaWorld.
And that's just the beginning. It exponentially gets worse and worse.

I just started noticing it in the last couple volumes. It's a minor annoyance so far, but I'm still enjoying the ride. Unless of course it gets more stupid, but we will see.

:lol You're welcome.

(is your avatar Motohiro Hata by the way? Nice.)
Yup. ;) I thought I was the only Motohiro Hata fan on neogaf.

Solanin
http://i.imgur.com/LFHr0RW.jpg[img][img]http://i.imgur.com/C3u7Xim.jpg[img]

Well, I finally got around to watch this. I kept putting it off cause I liked the feeling that there are some Asano related works that I can experience through for the first time. Plus I always feared this adaptation will suck so I was hesitant to watch it.

For far better or worse, the movie followed the manga's plot too closely. There few minor scenes here and there that were left out or changed, but outside of that, it was a very faithful adaptation. Which is fine since the source material didn't get butchered, but the movie felt too safe. It didn't do anything to stand out.

The movie handled most of the key scenes very well, especially [URL="http://i.imgur.com/dO3AuHv.png"]the final concert[/URL] which exceeded my expectations. However, there was some screwups. For example, Asano's signature use of black panels with text on them for characters thoughts or narration just doesn't translate well to movies. A particular [URL="http://i.imgur.com/kuE5WWB.png"]key scene involving Taneda[/URL] ended up being not as emotional as manga version. I also missed [URL="http://i.imgur.com/btwKC6b.jpg"]Asano's close up panels[/URL] which that particular scene was completely changed in the movie to this [URL="http://i.imgur.com/B58XECf.png"]inferior take[/URL].

Essentially what I'm trying to get at is that I missed Asano's quirks and writing style in this movie. For example, all these surreal bizarre scenes like Taneda's inner thoughts or Billy's Moon visit are gone from the movie. Also all the small comedic moments between all the characters are gone which detracted a lot from developing them and all their charm was gone. Meiko in particular suffered a lot from these cuts. She just didn't feel strong and had a weak presence throughout the movie. Which is totally different from manga Meiko who in the second half was dedicated to accomplishing her goal and was just a better lead character.

In the end it's still Solanin and will recommend it to any fan of the original story. However, without the Asano touch, the manga is still the far superior version. This movie is also a further proof that an adaptation of Punpun is nearly impossible.[/QUOTE]
What a great write up and makes me hyped to watch the movie. Thanks to this, I think I'll probably watch it tonight.

[B]5 centimeters per second-chapter 7-END[/B]
Don't know why the first time I read this through, I didn't like it. After rereading it, I think I like it as much as the movie. Although the bonus chapter is kinda useless(even though I love Kanae) and should have ended where the movie ended, I kinda liked it. It gives me the glimpse of hope that [spoiler]they end up with each other but I think it's best if they don't.[/spoiler]&#12288;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom