• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Air Master 03-04

Gotta say the art is not great at all but somehow the story remains somewhat compelling.

China Girl 01

Hmmm... not sure. Will keep reading.

Solune

Lots of people need to come back. Solune for example, went on a break due to things BUT IT'S TAKING HIM FOREVER. And also like, everyone ever below the top 15.

Let's try to bait Solune

check out that awesome scarf
znAiGcT.jpg

Seems I was summoned. Is there a new smut list like dumbyugi posted a while back?

Edit: Has there been new Akame ga Kill since 33.5?

upandaway

Seems I was summoned. Is there a new smut list like dumbyugi posted a while back?
HEY! You back for real now?

Whatever you do, never ever even think about checking out Iinazuke Kyoutei or Otome Historic

Also by the way, I don't know if you know this. Steins;Gate is pretty dang amazing and amazing.

Kurita

Switch Girl!! 1

This is great. The "Off Mode" of the MC turns her into a real Nodame from Nodame Cantabile :lol
I love that the author admits she's exactly like her. There are notes between the chapters where she explains that most of the things Nika does are true! :lol
Definitely a good shoujo.

Jintor

Switch Girl!! 1

This is great. The "Off Mode" of the MC turns her into a real Nodame from Nodame Cantabile :lol
I love that the author admits she's exactly like her. There are notes between the chapters where she explains that most of the things Nika does are true! :lol
Definitely a good shoujo.

Just read a bunch of reviews comparing it unfavourably to kare kano. Given that I'm still on the fence about kare kano... eh.

Solune

HEY! You back for real now?

Whatever you do, never ever even think about checking out Iinazuke Kyoutei or Otome Historic

Also by the way, I don't know if you know this. Steins;Gate is pretty dang amazing and amazing.

Yup I am back, at least when I remember to visit the thread. Too much time into Waifu Emblem and Rising and now Monster Hunter. Gotta get through Bioshock too.

Anywho I assume the spoilered part is what I need to check out and I need to catch up to Akame.

And yes Steins;Gate is great, I caught the bug around Sept and it was fantastic after I read animeGAF impressions. The movie is actually coming out in 2 weeks or so too I believe, but don't hold me to that as I haven't visited animeGAF either in a long time.

upandaway

Yup I am back, at least when I remember to visit the thread. Too much time into Waifu Emblem and Rising and now Monster Hunter. Gotta get through Bioshock too.

Anywho I assume the spoilered part is what I need to check out and I need to catch up to Akame.

And yes Steins;Gate is great, I caught the bug around Sept and it was fantastic after I read animeGAF impressions. The movie is actually coming out in 2 weeks or so too I believe, but don't hold me to that as I haven't visited animeGAF either in a long time.
Not the anime! The VN! I just finished it yesterday, so I'm still on the feel. I'll check the anime out when the movie gets translated, in 3 years.

(retcon: well i guess the anime could be good too.. maybe.. cough)

Lain

Just read a bunch of reviews comparing it unfavourably to kare kano. Given that I'm still on the fence about kare kano... eh.

I haven't read Kare Kano, only watched the anime, but I don't feel it's all that similar apart from certain character's premises, like the main girl having a fake persona for school/others and a "relaxed" one at home and the main guy being a pretty awesome dude.

Personally I consider it a really good shojo with the main draw being that it has no shame about depicting certain (embarrassing) aspects about girls and inserting some comedy even in the most drama filled situations (Nika rocks).

Jintor

Give it a shot!
I've only seen positive reviews about Switch Girl to be honest.

I haven't read Kare Kano, only watched the anime, but I don't feel it's all that similar apart from certain character's premises, like the main girl having a fake persona for school/others and a "relaxed" one at home and the main guy being a pretty awesome dude.

Personally I consider it a really good shojo with the main draw being that it has no shame about depicting certain (embarrassing) aspects about girls and inserting some comedy even in the most drama filled situations (Nika rocks).

Alright, well, I trust mangGAF over a bunch of anonymous randoms, so I may as well take a look

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eyeshield 21 v14

Man oh man, the match between the devil bats and the poseidons has been the first epic match in ages, and probably the most epic match so far. Mostly because it's good to see the shorties get a legitimate challenge in their height disadvantage and overcoming it. The duel between Komusubi and kengo was really enjoyable, and it's nice to see Komusubi overcoming it with the cheering of his hot-blooded dad. Kakei was a nice opponent for sena as well, and it seems like he has overcome yet another limit.

Though I find it kind of weird that it's Komusubi who was matched up with the tall dudes. Couldn't they just overcome that by matching kurita for the height and stopping power? Ah well, whatever.

Also gotta say, even though Hirumo is pretty much the ace character, I like him a lot mostly due to how his antics subvert how the ace character usually looks and behaves.

Gangsta 6-8

8qqfsJT.jpg

Killing superhuman child soldiers would be cruel, so apparently he got he voice of an adult. Okay.

Not much progress, but many little nuggets. The woman from the hospital was their former partner of some sorts. Alex standing in the kitchen and cooking gave Worick a nice little flashback. +10 points for him saving his zoning out with "I was just thinking about that fine ass of yours". Well said. It's not surprising that they could be better people, doing honest jobs. With that memory of his, Worick would make a really good cop, but I guess killing people is easier in a city like this. And then it seems like "tagged people" or "Twilights" (what an unfortunate name these days) like Nicolas are indeed very special, superhuman even. I'm not sure what to think about it. It's not flat out a supernatural thing, but I did hope the manga was a bit more grounded. But as long as it's limited to stylized fights and slicing people, I'm fine with it, I guess.

Side note about the art: the mangaka needs to get a better anatomical perspective for standing bodies. Sometimes it just looks weird and wrong.

Ippo

Hey I love Volg is a survivalist and lives/fights as such it makes him a great character. I'm pissed at this situation. Ugh...and Mike didn't realize what was going on? *kicks a can*

Antiwhippy

Yeah, just from him entering into the fold everything seems to be going the demon bats way.

I like that kurita is all hyped up from his return too.

Kingyo Sukui (one shot end)
tumblr_mkkyf7VSNA1qbxqfpo1_500.png

A one shot centered around Yohei, guy thats just poor and struggling to hang on to money, and a Binbougami, god of poverty. Seeing them go through things and Yohei trying to get money and work and such was good throughout. I liked a lot of the scenes and then the goldfish as an apology gifts of sorts. Though the ending did catch me off guard
Binbo ended up leaving one day and Yohei just started to get all depressed and sick and eventually Binbo came back as a Shinigami as Yohei was coughing up blood :( :( :(

survivor

Banned
20th Century Boys vol 8-9

They were scared of a fucking balloon? And sure let's use an untested vaccine on the entire fucking world, I'm sure nothing bad will come out of it. Let's not even question why Friend had a secret laboratory working on the vaccine in the first place. And they are running a brainwashing facility? It's like everyone in the world became an idiot. And then there is the whole virtual reality bullshit. Oh and seeing Friend's face will kill you. And who the hell is that other kid anyway? These fucking kids keep getting added every volume. Oh and Kanna is some mind controlling Jesus that can rally up the mafia? And there is a new book of prophecy? Oh for the love of.

Escalating the story for the sake of escalation just doesn't fucking work like that. Argh.

Antiwhippy

Eyeshiled 21 155

ro4ojrO.png

Oh really now?

Was it that obvious?

Really?

Ah well. Hiruma and Mamori are pretty cute together.

Yume Yume Shinjuu 5

Guess its going on full sad end now. Takumi likes Yuzuru. Ryousuke likes Yuzuru, Takumi jealous or wants to be part of the family, but instead captured Yuzuru and has him locked away, and everyones feelings coming to light with their tragic pasts :(

Yamada and the Seven Witches 52 (AFV)

Dakine.

Saiyaku wa Boku o Suki Sugiru 11

Such a short chapter. The flashback scene to them seeing each other in the past in the spring was nice but so shortlived. Apart from that, not much else, hopefully the writer makes up for the lack of content in the next chapter.

The Exile boy band reference though at least made me read their wiki article for awhile, they really did no anime musics?

Gundam Origin ch 1

Why does it feel like its starting like Age or Seed with a colony seemingly like it'll be destroyed. Fraw bow is really annoying but Amuro seems to have huge potential, alright design though not on Setsuna F Seiei, Duo/Heero, or Asemu (Teen) tier at this point in time. And the Gundam, hope we get one with wings or something.

The style of the pages and colors are really nice.

What did you expect?

Honestly, I would've preferred either Sakura or no one at all.

Why the former? Because at least there was SOME development that wasn't completely ass pulled unlike this shit.

I wouldn't have liked it, personally, but I would've accepted it.

Sai

I don't think you can call something so blatant an undertone.
* Sai shrugs.

I find romance in Naruto generally subdued, simply because what little Kishimoto does bother to put in is handled so poorly.

Which is also why I tend to avoid pairing discussions in general, and will be abandoning this thread as quickly as possible. ;D

"Finally"? He's been saying the same thing since he was introduced. The whole "Seeing Goi as hideous beasts" thing isn't even new.

I guess it was more the fact that the whole system was put out of best interest for both magicians and Goi. He did it for them too so they could be happy and protected, obviously we knew it was a lie, but it finally surfaced more clearly in this chapter.

Naruto loves Hinata guys.

It's why we never see him talking to her again after she risked her life to save him from Pain.

Those 3 lines of dialogue they exchanged in years is more than enough to forge the greatest love history ever drawn and written!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom