• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard of Yu Yu Hakusho?! O_O
No, I didn't! Jesus. I'm not a huge manga nut, okay?

It's actually pretty good, give it a try.

I still love Level E more though.
I better not ask about Level E ...

This is like Yotsuba all over again

No, this is different. I've literally never heard of Yu Yu Hakusho before, while I knew about Yotsuba, because you guys mentioned it here a lot and I actively chose not to read it.

I've honestly never heard of it. At least I was able to find something under "Yu Yu Hakusho". So it's an older series from Togashi, which is interesting.

I feel bad because I spoiled one of the more important latter parts of YYH for you.

Yes you should read it and see Togashi when he actually finished a manga lol. The quality is so terrible in certain chapters. Also can see where HXH gets some of its influence.

The anime is really good too, little to no filler and sticks to the source for the most part. Didn't animate the very end sadly. :( But what Togashi passed as chapters for the finale is still a running joke to this day.

I haven't started Level E actually. Need to get on that after Berserk.

Yu Yu Hakusho is not THAT well-known in the West.

One of the reasons I disliked DBZ's popularity.

Inuyasha and DBZ were the 1990s and early 2000s animes for the USA. Put YYH and Ruronin Kenshin under the radar. Didn't help that YYH was late into the night because it dealt with spirits and ghosts. Same for Kenshin aka Samurai X which was bloody.

Still one of the best selling mangas of all time and a classic of the golden age of Shonen Jump. Also a time in US where Dubs were really good and got their own dubbed music.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

uvm.jpg

I dunno about that...

:p

Reknoc

I didn't know what Jojo, YYH, Gintama... were when I bought Jump Super Stars years ago.
Never read One Piece back then either :lol

Guess someone never owned a dreamcast!

(I picked up Eyeshield 21 originally because of Jump Super Stars)

Jintor

Teppu 03

Really enjoying this series.

It's just... the protagonist is so refreshing. She's a completely unapologetic bitch and she knows it. And the fight choreography is really clean and readable without resorting to super-heroics.

Teppu 03

It's just... the protagonist is so refreshing. She's a completely unapologetic bitch and she knows it. And the fight choreography is really clean and readable without resorting to super-heroics.

Natsuo is really one of the best protagonists I've ever seen. She doesn't burden herself with kindness or "power of friendship" bullshit and while she's usually really good at what she does, she's not perfect (and yet really arrogant) and got personal issues on top of that. I'm not even sure if you can call her an anti-hero, because she doesn't even help anyone but herself. I don't know who has said it before, but she's actually a villain, if you want.

e:
whoKW.jpg

How can you not love her?

I'm embarrassed to admit but I actually fell for that. I was wondering wtf a BL company was doing starting a kids line. Also I didn't realize it was BL alpacas. Haha

This shipping battle is amazing but useless. We all know it's gonna end up being.....
SasuNaru
Believe it :p

Definitely, at the end of the day hinata will instantly be ignored, sakura completely cast aside and only naruto and sasuke together at last to show their guts and throw down hashimada style.

Antiwhippy

Natsuo a nice streak of Sadomasochism too.

Which is always nice.

Too bad that the releases are so inconsistent.

I better not ask about Level E ...

No, this is different. I've literally never heard of Yu Yu Hakusho before, while I knew about Yotsuba, because you guys mentioned it here a lot and I actively chose not to read it.

I know my posts are ignored but i was quite sure there was extensive yuyu hakusho discussion in last ot when I was running through it, even images.

Kurita

Toriko vol.10

Woah... The Toriko/Tommyrod battle is crazy.
It's so violent and brutal! I mean, they both lost an arm, there's blood everywhere... This Century Soup arc is really amazing so far.

I know my posts are ignored but i was quite sure there was extensive yuyu hakusho discussion in last ot when I was running through it, even images.

Awww, DTL! <3

You posts are not ignored per se, but there's little to add when you're the only one in here who reads BL or yaoi. And you know very well how to get all our attention. :lol

dumbyugi

Yamada 52-53

When Noa was telling Yamada about someone who could steal witches powers I kept wondering why neither Yamada or Noa picked up on the fact that Yamada can do just that. This new guy seems like he'll be an evil version of Yamada but he'll no doubt join Yamada's harem at some stage.

Natsuo is really one of the best protagonists I've ever seen. She doesn't burden herself with kindness or "power of friendship" bullshit and while she's usually really good at what she does, she's not perfect (and yet really arrogant) and got personal issues on top of that. I'm not even sure if you can call her an anti-hero, because she doesn't even help anyone but herself. I don't know who has said it before, but she's actually a villain, if you want.

e:
whoKW.jpg

How can you not love her?

She annoys me. Having someone that overpowered takes away a lot of the fun.

Articalys

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

btw, translator-kun for Tonari no Seki says it's getting an anime. I can't find this news anywhere else so I'm not sure if it's fake or not.

Haven't seen any news reporting that or anything disproving that as an April Fools gag, so dunno. :x

That would be pretty cool, given the time of year I doubt it though.
No foolin'. It's probably going to be one of those five-minute things though.

Apparently there was indeed a picture of the volume wraparound jacket with the announcement two days ago, so why it took not only ANN but also the JPN otaku blogs this long to report on it, I have no idea.

Antiwhippy

It is the point of the story though. She's basically somewhat like a deathseeker (not really trying to die of course) going as far as she can and taking everyone else down, as she tries to find her own defeat.

I don't see how. While she's relatively strong at the beginning (compared to your usual manga protagonists), she still has no chance against her main rival and has to work her way up. Just because she doesn't struggle against the small fish, it doesn't mean she's OP. I'd rather have someone being better against the usual opponents, than reading yet another of those "weak protag struggles against everyone, but trains really hard and defeats everyone" stories. Those are everywhere. Natsuo is strong, arrogant and has no problem showing it. That's a good thing.

It is the point of the story though. She's basically somewhat like a deathseeker (not really trying to die of course) going as far as she can and taking everyone else down, as she tries to find her own defeat.

I don't see how. While she's relatively strong at the beginning (compared to your usual manga protagonists), she still has no chance against her main rival and has to work her way up. Just because she doesn't struggle against the small fish, it doesn't mean she's OP. I'd rather have someone being better against the usual opponents, than reading yet another of those "weak protag struggles against everyone, but trains really hard and defeats everyone" stories. Those are everywhere. Natsuo is strong, arrogant and has no problem showing it. That's a good thing.

Well it's not only that, she's unlikeable. I can't see any redeeming qualities about her character, or any character developments so it bores me.

It's how one likes their protagonists to be I guess. She just rubs me the wrong way.

Antiwhippy

Nah, I don't really think that she's the ideal protagonist at all. In most other mangas she would be the antagonist. The rival who is always strong, ever improving, and is a massive sociopathic bitch about it.

Which is what I like about her.

Nah, I don't really think that she's the ideal protagonist at all. In most other mangas she would be the antagonist. The rival who is always strong, ever improving, and is a massive sociopathic bitch about it.

Which is what I like about her.

Yep. I don't want all my protagonists to be like her, but Jintor said it well, imo.

Teppu 03

Jintor

Started and dropped the old shoujo list I keep struggling with, the only survivor being Oreesama Teacher (but secretly I wish it was more Gekkan Shouojo Nozaki-kun because that series is about two and a half times funnier than Oreesama teacher and way more readable.)

Couldn't put up with Switch Girl, Aishiteru Baby, Kare Kano or Lovely Complex's dogged refusal to be easy-to-read any longer. Also dropped China Girl with some reluctance and Transistor Teaset, despite the gorgeous background art.

Started AKB47 and it's amazing, lol

Nana to Kaoru 1-5

Oh my.

I can get behind this.

You haven't read Nana to Kaoru, Antiwhippy? I have a backlog... but, hell, I think I might just start from the beginning again...

Jintor

I remember enjoying it the first time I read it and getting disappointed when I hit the horizon/catch-up point. Let's see if that holds true...

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ayo Kurita, I'm watching Ryuusei No Kizuna with my sister right now and Kazunari Ninomiya is awesome in it so far. I was like "wait what" when I saw your avatar.

Antiwhippy

Nana to Kaoru 8

I just like that it is so... detailed. The proper way to prepare the rope. The proper way tie the rope. The thoughts and and feelings that comes from having the rope on you.

It's nearly an instruction manual.

Antiwhippy

Oh I know. It's more about how detailed he gets into the mental state of the characters, especially from the view of the masochist.

Author definitely is a bottom.

Kurita

Ayo Kurita, I'm watching Ryuusei No Kizuna with my sister right now and Kazunari Ninomiya is awesome in it so far. I was like "wait what" when I saw your avatar.
Glad you like it! One of my fav dramas.
And I agree, he's a pretty good actor.
I liked him better in Freeter Ie wo Kau though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom