• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
WHAT?!....oh, I'm ok with this. Any ending that dosn't involve Zenkichi and Medaka marrying will get me mad.

Seriously, Zenkichi deserves his happy end after all the shit he's gone through. Dude beat Freshmaker ffs, if that doesn't win him a good end there is no god.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama 78

After several chapters of monotonous, Tora-filled garbage, that was actually quite satisfying, save for Tora’s contrived and ultimately meaningless confession. This chapter also strongly reinforced the perception that the last two chapters were solely cobbled together in order to appease shippers, since none of Misaki’s tedious preparations played a part in her attempts to reunite with Usui, for whatever reason.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama 79

Aside from Misaki and Usui’s great, though not entirely satisfying, moments towards the end of the chapter, this was, as a whole, thoroughly mediocre and needlessly rushed. In fact, this entire arc has been surprisingly pointless, as it continues to be established as some tediously prolonged complication that essentially serves to act as a stalling of actual narrative progression, which, at this point, is a rather flawed approach to storytelling, since, aside from the fantastic depth that was illuminated within the past of Usui’s mother, this arc hasn‘t provided much insight into anything of relevance.

Nearly all the potential from the cliffhanger in the last chapter was surprisingly squandered, seemingly in favor of a heightened focus on Tora’s self-indulgent and irritating interference in Misaki and Usui’s relationship, as well as a dull conversation between Gerald and Usui. This poorly executed arc really needs to end soon, since it’s not nearly as climactic as Fujiwara seemingly intended it to be.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama 80

Sigh...Tora remaining a bastard until the end.

This chapter was thoroughly disappointing to say the least; easily one of the worst in the entire manga. Aside from Usui and Misaki’s conversation and their return to Japan, along with, perhaps, Gerald’s surprisingly touching conversation with his father, every other moment was uninteresting and repetitive garbage, rushing towards an unsatisfying resolution to an arc that was dreadfully inconsistent and largely disappointing, as the entire premise was wholly derived from a contrived complication that solely existed to poorly manufacture a “climactic” atmosphere. The final arc should be immensely improved over this nonsense, partially due to Tora’s likely lack of involvement in it. I’m hoping that, since the end is approaching, Fujiwara will be able to momentarily recapture the refreshingly lighthearted and simplistically romantic nature of the story prior to Usui‘s attendance at Miyabigouka, since the quality has gradually deteriorated following that development.

Horimiya 16

For a Toru chapter, which are typically dull, this was actually quite enjoyable, due primarily to the consistently humorous interactions throughout and the introduction of a seemingly inevitable love interest for Toru.

Horimiya 17

That was a really good chapter, particularly Hori and Miyamura’s interactions towards the end. Sota is brilliantly perceptive.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 39

Prior to the ending, this was a really enjoyable chapter, and I’m quite intrigued by the momentary appearance of Shizuku’s mother. Haru’s mother, on the other hand, is pretty cruel. As for the slightly bizarre ending, Shizuku’s inability to understand Haru or fully appreciate her feelings for him, though occasionally realistic, has become a bit tiresome, so I definitely understand Haru’s anger towards her immaturity. They should be able to mutually develop in a rather significant fashion throughout the following chapters though, which is a rather necessary evolution of their relationship, but I hope their likely separation doesn’t last too long.

RIP Medaka Box

Oh well, one less reason to care about WSJ.

The last two arcs have been pretty disappointing, so it's probably for the best. All I really need is for Medaka and Zenkichi to finally marry, since it's definitely the pleasant conclusion he deserves.

One Piece has been for a long time my favorite battle manga, actually the only battle manga I bother to read on a regular basis.

That said, if Oda has really forgotten how to focus his motherfucking plots then I think I'm going to drop this series for a few years and read it in bulk. Fishman Island I defended as awkward transition. Punk Hazard I excused as setup. However if this new arc is going to have five different protagonist groups running around with three or more major antagonist factions then I cannot see this resulting in anything but another tangled clusterfuck like Punk Hazard but worse.

Impel Down and Marineford are two of the greatest arcs I've ever read in any series because they centered on Luffy alone and dispensed with the rest of the cast. There is simply no need to dedicate massive subplots to every single member of the Straw Hats, in fact that detracts from the overall narrative and robs the arc of cohesion. The samurai suck and seem shoehorned into these arcs because they are; the focus should be razor sharp on the Law and Luffy alliance which is frankly one of the only compelling developments to emerge in the past couple of years but instead Oda is succumbing to roster creep like Sonic and his Shitty Friends.

Get your shit in order, Oda. The New World has yet to produce a truly great arc, and we've been waiting long enough by now.

There has only been 1 arc in the NW which is Punk Hazard and that went on for about a year so it has not been that long .
Also i expect most arcs from now on to have more than one antagonist factions involve in some way unless it the big final like verse a Yonko because of the way how Oda has the NW set up .
The NW has many factions and Pirates so we going to get a fair amount of throw away characters all over the place maybe when we get to Wano we can get semi confined arc.
Still i expect most arcs to have a bigger connection to each other be it characters or plot compare to the first half .

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I have no idea who Hasegawa Tomohiro is and lol bakuman

Bakuman is shit.

There, I said it.

It. Is. Shit.

I understand why it's popular, but that doesn't exclude it from being total shit.

Rojiura Jack is where it is dude....

...or so they told me.

Oh hmmm >___>

There has only been 1 arc in the NW which is Punk Hazard and that went on for about a year so it has not been that long .
Also i expect most arcs from now on to have more than one antagonist factions involve in some way unless it the big final like verse a Yonko because of the way how Oda has the NW set up .
The NW has many factions and Pirates so we going to get a fair amount of throw away characters all over the place maybe when we get to Wano we can get semi confined arc.
Still i expect most arcs to have a bigger connection to each other be it characters or plot compare to the first half .

You know, sometimes less is actually more. Although I guess this is a concept that is, at the moment, completely alien to Oda considering how he handles things right now.

Kusagari

inb4 the end is Medaka saying everything was what she predicts is gonna happen and shows her first page of ch1.

Final chapter is going to be a wedding showing all the characters commenting on the bride and groom, but they never say their actual names.

Final panel shows that it's Kumagawa marrying Zenkichi's mom.

Manga ends.

You know, sometimes less is actually more. Although I guess this is a concept that is, at the moment, completely alien to Oda considering how he handles things right now.

Oh i agree but when you look at the first half of OP it has always been building up to something like this , that's not to say he can't cut out \ cut down some plot points with certain things per arc .
Still with so many factions , pirates , things being connected , crew now infamous and them being in the NW i expect more characters \ sub plots per arc than before .

I remember someone on another forum saying you can remove 60% of one piece and you would not lose a single thing since 60% of the manga is filler.

That depends on what you looking for and can be said for loads of fiction .

wonzo

Banned
I can see the butthurt over the statement that someone on another forum said. I guess the truth hurts. There there, no need for that to flip out and have your little world crushed. Acknowledge it, embrace it, and move on.
Maybe one day you'll gain a semblance of good taste but until then you can keep wallowing in shit I guess. ヾ(*´ー`)ノ

I can see the butthurt over the statement that someone on another forum said. I guess the truth hurts. There there, no need for that to flip out and have your little world crushed. Acknowledge it, embrace it, and move on.

I was just quoting something I heard from this one guy in a bar whose sister told him that her dog trainer's uncle said it was true because I'm too lazy to come up with my own thoughts and instead regurgitate the utterances of anonymous idiots.

Mr. Fix

C'mon, Beam. That was a blatant troll post. At least try to be subtle about it like GamingGAF to avoid being banned.

Balance is restored.

Maybe one day you'll gain a semblance of good taste but until then you can keep wallowing in shit I guess. ヾ(*´ー`)ノ

Maybe you should stop living in one piece world and live in the real world for a change. But that means you have to reflect on yourself and smell your own stench.

Are you seriously going to say you can't do the same thing for Bleach? The entire Hueco Mondo arc was irrelevant.
Hm? Hyperbole much? While i agree there´s a lot of padding and saying the whole arc is irrelevant is nothing short of a hyperbole statement.
C'mon, Beam. That was a blatant troll post. At least try to be subtle about it like GamingGAF to avoid being banned.

Balance is restored.
Why do you think it´s trolling? And i don´t troll gaminggaf or any other gaf. The fact still stands that one can remove a large chunks of every arc and nothing would be lost.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Maybe you should stop living in one piece world and live in the real world for a change. But that means you have to reflect on yourself and smell your own stench.

Hm? Hyperbole much? While i agree there´s a lot of padding and saying the whole arc is irrelevant is nothing short of a hyperbole statement.

Why do you think it´s trolling? And i don´t troll gaminggaf or any other gaf. The fact still stands that one can remove a large chunks of every arc and nothing would be lost.

now_kiss_meme.png

wonzo

Banned
This is p. funny as I haven't read a single chapter of One Piece in years nor am I planning to pickup where I left off anytime soon.

Are you seriously going to say you can't do the same thing for Bleach? The entire Hueco Mondo arc was irrelevant.

Shittiest manga arc every while I didn't have any particularly great love for Bleach this arc single handedly damaged it permanently for me its pretty much the reason I hate bleach so much.

Kusagari

I can't think of anything relevant that happened outside of Ichigo getting control of his Vaizard powers and then awakening that uber hollow form against Ulq that he never used again. Practically everything in Bleach from the Vaizards arrival up until the point Aizen gets off his ass and actually fights was pointless.

Shittiest manga arc every while I didn't have any particularly great love for Bleach this arc single handedly damaged it permanently for me its pretty much the reason I hate bleach so much.

It's the arc that did the most damage to Bleach sales when it done in Japan still sales have be going back up which is good .

Big One

Banned
Pretty much.

Even extend that to Fake Karakura Town arc where, again, pretty much nothing happens. You could literally summarize the entirety of those two arcs in detail in like three paragraphs.

MCD

Pretty much.

Even extend that to Fake Karakura Town arc where, again, pretty much nothing happens. You could literally summarize the entirety of those two arcs in detail in like three paragraphs.

It was worth it for Aizen drinking tea.

It is not Skypia nor Thriller Bark, or Fishmen Island lol.
I can't think of anything relevant that happened outside of Ichigo getting control of his Vaizard powers and then awakening that uber hollow form against Ulq that he never used again. Practically everything in Bleach from the Vaizards arrival up until the point Aizen gets off his ass and actually fights was pointless.
Except the defeat of Aizen, TBTP arc, fleshing out side characters both power and personality, Ichigo´s and Rukia´s Gin´s development.
It's the arc that did the most damage to Bleach sales when it done in Japan still sales have be going back up which is good .
This is actually the opposite of what actually happened. The Japanese loved the arrancar so Kubo was forced, by his editors, to prolong the arc because of the popularity of the espada.
Pretty much.

Lol.

It is not Skypia nor Thriller Bark, or Fishmen Island lol.

Except the defeat of Aizen, TBTP arc, fleshing out side characters both power and personality, Ichigo´s and Rukia´s Gin´s development.

This is actually the opposite of what actually happened. The Japanese loved the arrancar so Kubo was forced, by his editors, to prolong the arc because of the popularity of the espada.

Lol.

Damn right its not, as I mentioned utter shit.

Actually the Hueco Mundo arc was very popular in Japan. It was the Fullbring arc that brought sales down below the .5 million mark.

It will never be as bad as Namek in terms of pacing and it did have good battles.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

Or don't, because if you removed 60% of One Piece you'd have Dragon Ball Z.

Not Dragon Ball.

But Z.

Buu saga status.

No one wants that out of One Piece. Let it be One Piece.

edit: Crimson feeling that DBZ comparison too haha

MCD

My only problem with Bleach in Hueco Mundo or whatever it's called was having to suffer for months for irrelevant fucks like that bald guy and his friend fighting some filler arrancars.

FFS nobody wanted that.

Big One

Banned
My only problem with Bleach in Hueco Mundo or whatever it's called was having to suffer for months for irrelevant fucks like that bald guy and his friend fighting some filler arrancars.

FFS nobody wanted that.
That's like every fight in Bleach, though.

Actually the Hueco Mundo arc was very popular in Japan. It was the Fullbring arc that brought sales down below the .5 million mark.

It will never be as bad as Namek in terms of pacing and it did have good battles.

Yeah i was wrong did some more research just now but wow that was a huge amount of fans jumping ship when that arc done .
Done think i ever seen something like that good to see them coming back since this arc has been good far .

Can't say i remember much about Namek arc or how long it last in the manga since it has been years since i read DB but the anime pacing was fucked .

MCD

That's like every fight in Bleach, though.

lol

Come on Big One, you know you loved Aizen trolling everyone while hardening his ass into that butterfly.

Bleach is simply not the same without his smirk and "I'm behind you panel".

Its a damned if you do damned if you don't moment for Kubo in HM.

Fans loved the attention side characters got but the more vocal base wanted the focus on the main characters. Its kinda ridiculous how Kubo made it happen though. Every single important nonmook Shinigami/Character fought Aizen and Co while everyone in HM fought their own battles. CHAD ACTUALLY WON A FIGHT!

Even that annoying bitch Hinamori fought.

MCD

Fans loved the attention side characters got but the more vocal base wanted the focus on the main characters. Its kinda ridiculous how Kubo made it happen though. Every single important nonmook Shinigami/Character fought Aizen and Co while everyone in HM fought their own battles. CHAD ACTUALLY WON A FIGHT!

There is a limit to how a mangaka should listen to his fans. I know it isn't as simple as that because lord knows he was being pressured by shonen jump and the like but he really did stretch it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The problem in that arc was Kubo's pacing. He's also had a really slow pace with Bleach, things that should take three pages take an entire chapter. There were things that took multiple chapters that should have been resolved in one, like the recent Kenpachi fight. Doing all those fights just put it on display, it should have been fast and furious but instead it was slow and excruciating.

Big One

Banned
The problem in that arc was Kubo's pacing. He's also had a really slow pace with Bleach, things that should take three pages take an entire chapter. There were things that took multiple chapters that should have been resolved in one, like the recent Kenpachi fight. Doing all those fights just put it on display, it should have been fast and furious but instead it was slow and excruciating.
This problem still exists today, however.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This problem still exists today, however.

Yea, which is why I gave a recent example. The structure of that arc just put it on display and made it obvious.

Which is not to say that other manga are not guilty of this. Naruto for example has the same problem at times, especially recently. The last flashback could have been done in a chapter, it didn't need to be three. The first chapter when they were kids could have been done in three or four panels with a bit of narration and dialogue. Berserk as well and it's arguably worse here due to the release schedule.

Bleach chapters feel short enough, no need to make it shorter. :p

But I disagree with you, sure some things could be compressed but hey you can say that about 99% of all mangas. I do agree about the recent Kenpachi fight but the problem is where would Kenpachi's flashback happen. It probably would have been better if Kubo focused on the flashback when Unohana was dying and then switch over to Ichigo.

exarkun

Ichigo's mom is a badass. Gotdamn, thats sick.

Still gonna say that Bleach has been consistently good for a loooong while now, which I didn't think possible after Aizen's fight was over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom