• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
*reads description*...

ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif

So glad all the comparision discussion take place overnight, dont see how people can do it week after week, fortnight after fortnight, fonth after month, year after year.

Gundam: The Origin v1 ( I - VIII)

Was really interesting to read, as Hideaki Anno describes in the bonus essay regretting the state of manga/anime today being judged on moe and readers/viewers just using media as an escape from reality and that's it, First Gundam. Numerous elements here were good to see that were emulated or altered in the other few Gundam anime Ive seen and saw. I liked the cunning and relentless yet good looking Char who never fails to impress. impress. I think I missed the significance of him removing his mask in that encounter with Sayla (asteria?) though I guess it will be explained later.

For the tactical mothership, Trojan Horse?, the crew thus far is its main highlight though otherwise its kind of barebones and basic, it doesnt really compare well to Seeds Archangel with its Valiants and Igelstellung or 00s Ptolemy and Age's modifiable Diva. Like the first prototype gundam, it needs to get some further upgrades.

I wish it didn't have kids on the ship, mere children always get in the way taking up valuable screentime and they feel out of place. Id rather have more Fraw screaming Amuro than children.

Really compelling and fun intense times going through the moment of entry to Jaburo. Cant believe Char even took the chance to attack there. Thank goodness Gundam and Amuro can withstand the heat, somehow. Ah on Amuro, I hope he gets some Coordinator/X-Rounder/Innovator abilities as currently his performance is kind of weak even though he has great design. He did seem to have something to sense Char, so I guess its possible?

Will continue to read and pick up, we need more hardcover manga with a great abundance of color pages.

Korosenai

Are you seriously going to say you can't do the same thing for Bleach? The entire Hueco Mondo arc was irrelevant.

I'm not really a Bleach hater, but i've been catching up on it (just not got to the Espada, I forget his name, dude with the hold where his eye should be) vs. Kenpachi (Chapter 300 something) and it is super boring so far. I'm only catching up for Aizen, if Aizen were not a character in this manga I wouldn't even bother.

Lain

Hot House
A touching story about friendship, and the value of loyalty to one's friends. It was a fairly er... Interesting doujin. Art wasn't bad, though somewhat busy at times. Not as bad as it was in some of his earlier works though.
As for the work itself, I will leave the TLDR here.

Horihone Saizou's Hot House?

Zoe

They feel short because a lot of the time not a lot happens. Lets look at the most recent chapter. Aizen sneak attacks Ichigo's dad, Urahara shows up and drives him off (arguably this happened last chapter). Ichigo's dad yells out and fights the hollow, Ichigo's mom shows up and beats it while Aizen says something as he's leaving. That's not a lot of content. There's an entire page and a half where it's just Ichigo's mom looking at the aftermath of an attack.

Er... Urahara isn't there. That's a flashback to his flashback.

I couldn't find a synopsis for Hot House, so I checked the first chapter, that started with some art panels or whatever.

1st page

19tDpgg.png

2nd page

Q6h2KDA.jpg

3rd page

pSbRIpY.gif

I'm done.

What the flying fuck, indeed. Why would anyone even read that. Not to mention draw it. WHY.

Akito

It's like a really really really messed up version of Franken Fran. I'd like to think it's supposed to be a parody because of how over the top everything is.

Lain

Received some new manga today (well, like just a bit ago)!
20n.jpg

Pic is shitty, but there on the left is Satoshi Kon's Seraphim volume 1, which cost me a bit too much... but it's Kon so why not!

From someone's impressions on Hot House

Given how I’d been traumatized by some of Horihone’s stuff in the past, I’m not sure if I’ve become even more of a degenerate or if he’s been going soft over the years.

I'm not so sure...

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

Would it be better if I replaced One Piece with pretty much anything else? Even Buso Renkin/Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal is better than Bleach

Ahahaha, and second you accused that i only read Bleach even though i read more manga than you do on weekly and monthly basis. The truth what i said is correct. One piece is mostly made of useless filler that if someone would removed 75% not a single thing would happen to the story which is also very repetitive.

Ahahaha, and second you accused that i only read Bleach even though i read more manga than you do on weekly and monthly basis. The truth what i said is correct. One piece is mostly made of useless filler that if someone would removed 75% not a single thing would happen to the story which is also very repetitive.

so it was you and not someone from a different forum

who would have guessed

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

And here we go again. The cyclical debates really deteriorate any vague form of discussion so quickly.

In other news, I got One Piece Vol. 2, HunterxHunter Vol. 1 and Berserk Vol. 1 in the mail yesterday.

I completely forgot how awesome the first couple panels of Berserk are. Can't wait to properly catch up.

Next up have to be vol. 1 of Pluto, Monster and Rurouni Kenshin probably.

(I never should have actually started collecting lol)

7Th

What happened to these threads? Back in the days you kids would talk about Shintaro Kago with me... now you can't even stand something like Hot House. Weak.

Now I need something to help wipe out what I just read of Hot House from my brain. Bug guro. Ugh. I don't even want to look up this mangaka's other works. I've seen my share of weird things, but this is definitely the weirdest.

Theonik

Looks like is another type of guro. Yeah I didn't even know there were another interpretation of guro until I read that summary....

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ero_guro (Slightly NSFW, although it's wikipedia)
That is actually the proper definition of what Guro is. It comes from the word for grotesque and is a descriptor for just that. Of course gore is a subset of grotesque things but people tend to think guro = gore which isn't strictly true.

It's like a really really really messed up version of Franken Fran. I'd like to think it's supposed to be a parody because of how over the top everything is.
Judging from a brief look on his other stuff I'm not sure it's entirely parody if at all. His work is... Fairly peculiar putting it lightly.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Well you know, normal manga, absolutely objective truth, are some of the terms you have to learn in order to thrive here ;)

Haha, yeah I get it. It's just people have been throwing those terms out willy-nilly since OT1 and it's gotten battle-manga fatigue level.

(full circle wooooo!)

And on another note . . HOT HOUSE WTF

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Grimace's advice: Don't confuse a Guro scene with a Furo scene.

Articalys

Nisekoi

On one hand I'm glad to see this back with a competent group, but on the other:
Come the fuck on. This shit is going to go in circles until it stops being popular, at which point it'll abruptly turn into a Chitoge end.

upandaway

Nisekoi

On one hand I'm glad to see this back with a competent group, but on the other:

Come the fuck on. This shit is going to go in circles until it stops being popular, at which point it'll abruptly turn into a Chitoge end.
...A special kind of obligation chocolate?

What does that even mean?

Beelzebub

It's a bit disappointing that the god cat is a no-show, but anyway, that was pretty cool. I wonder if we'll go through 3 and 4 this arc too.

Big One

Banned
So why is pretty much every character both in the background and in the central plotline have some form of involvement on the core storyline or will do so in the future?

Everything in One Piece is important, everything. Because Oda setup the manga to be that way. And the reason why Oda setup One Piece that way because he understands how to make a manga that has a solid and consistent plotline.

Unlike Kubo, who wouldn't know how to setup a manga for the life of him. Nothing in Bleach happens for any importance or relevance, on average. The majority of panels, pages, and chapters in Bleach are just two characters fighting each other, which is not how to create a manga that you're trying to tell some form of legitimate story.

Don't misunderstand me, there's nothing wrong with a good action sequence or even a long drawn out one can be executed well enough to be worth reading. The problem with Bleach in this case, is that this has literally happened for the majority of Bleach's publication and that hasn't changed today. This changed for quite some time when the Fullbringer arc just started, but what started out as an interesting setup arc delve into a generic action arc with the worst ending the series has ever had.

Basically the execution of Bleach is really getting old, as is the fact that Kubo continues to this day focus more on the action in the most random places in the series. Like recently the whole Unohana and Kenpachi battle, happened in the middle of an arc that was setup to be based around Ichigo's past. There's absolutely 0 reason why this battle should've taken place, even though it was slightly interesting about Unohana's past there's nothing of significance that really affected the bigger plotline of the current story in Bleach. This type of garbage happens ALL THE TIME in Bleach, and quite frankly I'm sick of it.

"We know Bleach is bad, but you don't have to tell everyone." well the thing is, I kind of have to. Bleach isn't just a normal bad series that you can just shove under the rock and call it a day, people actually talk about it actively every single day in both the anime and manga fandom. No matter how much you try, Bleach is going to come back as a topic of some sorts. Bleach is a series that has a lot of potential to be great, and if I critique it and make other people, including it's fans, think about the quality of Bleach, maybe just maybe Kubo will listen to his fans and make Bleach a better series to read and adopt a more traditional manga poise.

upandaway

It's code for "we can't have their relationship actually progress or the Chitoge end will be ruined."
I just laughed for a good minute or so when Raku said that. He's basically locked out of saying anything else because literally ANYTHING besides confusion will make everything work like clockwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom