• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only problem with Bleach in Hueco Mundo or whatever it's called was having to suffer for months for irrelevant fucks like that bald guy and his friend fighting some filler arrancars.

FFS nobody wanted that.

Giving side characters some spot light is a good thing you know, instead of concentrating about few characters over and over again.
Damn right its not, as I mentioned utter shit.
These 3 arc are worse than shit then.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bleach chapters feel short enough, no need to make it shorter. :p

But I disagree with you, sure some things could be compressed but hey you can say that about 99% of all mangas. I do agree about the recent Kenpachi fight but the problem is where would Kenpachi's flashback happen. It probably would have been better if Kubo focused on the flashback when Unohana was dying and then switch over to Ichigo.

They feel short because a lot of the time not a lot happens. Lets look at the most recent chapter. Aizen sneak attacks Ichigo's dad, Urahara shows up and drives him off (arguably this happened last chapter). Ichigo's dad yells out and fights the hollow, Ichigo's mom shows up and beats it while Aizen says something as he's leaving. That's not a lot of content. There's an entire page and a half where it's just Ichigo's mom looking at the aftermath of an attack.

The pacing at the end and during the dialogue is fine, but the fights are really drawn out. Way more than they need to be.

The problem in that arc was Kubo's pacing. He's also had a really slow pace with Bleach, things that should take three pages take an entire chapter. There were things that took multiple chapters that should have been resolved in one, like the recent Kenpachi fight. Doing all those fights just put it on display, it should have been fast and furious but instead it was slow and excruciating.

But that´s the same thing with one piece. There are only like 3 pages of relevance every chapter if at all.

Big One

Banned
But that´s the same thing with one piece. There are only like 3 pages of relevance every chapter if at all.
Huh? Every page in One Piece is relevant, cause stuff actually happens that effects the story and sometimes even the bigger lore of One Piece.

In Bleach, you literally have pages where you see the characters in detail do every single move in a fight, mind you moves that we've already seen in the previous fights before, in a slow fashion for literally volumes upon volumes of release. All Bleach is, is a manga where fighting is the focus and some intermissions of story (if we're lucky). One Piece, on the other hand, actually fills it's pages with legitimate content whether it's for gags, for story progression, for character interaction, and just progression in general for every chapter.

One Piece, as a manga, has a lot more going on than Bleach does, so it's content is far from irrelevant or useless. One Piece doesn't spend useless time with action scenes with every volume of release, there's actual story arcs and progression going on at a normal pace.

Hell there's more story progression and content in the cover story arcs of One Piece than there is in multiple chapters of Bleach.

Bleach chapters feel short enough, no need to make it shorter. :p

But I disagree with you, sure some things could be compressed but hey you can say that about 99% of all mangas. I do agree about the recent Kenpachi fight but the problem is where would Kenpachi's flashback happen. It probably would have been better if Kubo focused on the flashback when Unohana was dying and then switch over to Ichigo.

I would say he just have to use more panels during fights like the old days .
The more panels he uses the less short the chapters feel while also make the fights more exciting.

Giving side characters some spot light is a good thing you know, instead of concentrating about few characters over and over again.

These 3 arc are worse than shit then.

Hell you are well within your right to think that I wasn't discussing One Piece though so I am not sure why you even brought them up, other than your victim complex with regards to One Piece fans.

Huh? Every page in One Piece is relevant, cause stuff actually happens that effects the story and sometimes even the bigger lore of One Piece.

In Bleach, you literally have pages where you see the characters in detail do every single move in a fight, mind you moves that we've already seen in the previous fights before, in a slow fashion for literally volumes upon volumes of release. All Bleach is, is a manga where fighting is the focus and some intermissions of story (if we're lucky). One Piece, on the other hand, actually fills it's pages with legitimate content whether it's for gags, for story progression, for character interaction, and just progression in general for every chapter.

One Piece, as a manga, has a lot more going on than Bleach does, so it's content is far from irrelevant or useless. One Piece doesn't spend useless time with action scenes with every volume of release, there's actual story arcs and progression going on at a normal pace.

Hell there's more story progression and content in the cover story arcs of One Piece than there is in multiple chapters of Bleach.
Useless action? Lol, it´s a battle manga, of course action will be detailed instead being cluttered.
Lol, one piece spends a lot of time on useless bickering and shitty jokes, food, and the SH getting separated which happens every freaking arc. Oda really lacks imagination with regards what to do with the SH every arc that he repeats it again and again. Legitimate content? Haha, you are full of these new buzz words every once in a while.
Hell you are well within your right to think that I wasn't discussing One Piece though so I am not sure why you even brought them up, other than your victim complex with regards to One Piece fans.
Yeah, because you and others post in a vacuum here without anyone knows your bias or anything.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Yeah, because you and others post in a vacuum here without anyone knows your bias or anything.

What you call bias, others call opinion. It's just like your opinion towards one piece, you're not really a fan of it. Some of us just find the pacing of the majority of recent Bleach absolutely abysmal week to week. That's really not bias.

And to say that only three pages are relevant in a One Piece chapter on average is ludacris. It's the reason people stick to it so highly, shit constantly happens. In fact, you actually complaints that too much is packed in and it'd be better if less happened.

While less is more, almost nothing is worse.

Big One

Banned
Useless action? Lol, it´s a battle manga, of course action will be detailed instead being cluttered.
You do realize this is a problem, correct? That's not what a manga is supposed to be like. Manga is supposed to have actual content in it, whether it's a battle manga or not. I'd rather have chapters dedicated to characters talking about their stances in an upcoming tournament (aka setup chapters) than constant fighting for no real reason (aka no real plot).
Lol, one piece spends a lot of time on useless bickering and shitty jokes, food, and the SH getting separated which happens every freaking arc.
And? That's still more content than a single volume of Bleach contains on average.
Oda really lacks imagination with regards what to do with the SH every arc that he repeats it again and again. Legitimate content? Haha, you are full of these new buzz words every once in a while.
Explain to me how exactly anything in the recent arcs of One Piece have been done before? And how exactly the action scenes in Bleach aren't using the same panels over and over again?

Lol, one piece spends a lot of time on useless bickering and shitty jokes, food, and the SH getting separated which happens every freaking arc. Oda really lacks imagination with regards what to do with the SH every arc that he repeats it again and again. Legitimate content? Haha, you are full of these new buzz words every once in a while.

OP chapters are full of content weather you like the content is subjective but that does not take away from the amount of panels and text used per chapter .
If we are talking about content per chapter weather you think it's legitimate content or not has not to do with how long it take to read a chapter or vol for each series .

EDIT i forgot to mention that some people also enjoy different aspect of the content so what think might be not be legitimate content other enjoy .

It's too bad he refuses to let any of Ichigo's actual crew have any spot light.

I'm still pissed about how the Fullbring arc went.
I agree with you there. The nakama got robbed of that arc, but i still think it was essential to isolate Ichigo and make him feel alone and everyone against him for him to accept that he cannot live a normal life, without having his powers. He needs power to protect so he can´t live normally. But i do agree that the nakama should have been treated much better.
What you call bias, others call opinion. It's just like your opinion towards one piece, you're not really a fan of it. Some of us just find the pacing of the majority of recent Bleach absolutely abysmal week to week. That's really not bias.

And to say that only three pages are relevant in a One Piece chapter on average is ludacris. It's the reason people stick to it so highly, shit constantly happens. In fact, you actually complaints that too much is packed in and it'd be better if less happened.

While less is more, almost nothing is worse.

It´s not ludacris whatsoever. It´s my opinion, and it´s actually valid. Content is not measured by speech bubbles, it´s measured by the important stuff that happens in a chapter. A chapter without one speech bubble could pack more content than a chapter full of speech bubbles, after all manga is visual medium.

Man I never once try to hide the fact I think Bleach is mostly shit, One Piece is good and Naruto is no way as shitty as people make it seem, but when ai want to criticise a series I don't bring a series I know other loves just because of some dumb victim complex. If you cant discuss the merits of what you like about bleach without taking snipes at One Piece it only makes me think you you're more butthurt about the general love for One Piece around here than anything else.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I agree with you there. The nakama got robbed of that arc, but i still think it was essential to isolate Ichigo and make him feel alone and everyone against him for him to accept that he cannot live a normal life, without having his powers. He needs power to protect so he can´t live normally. But i do agree that the nakama should have been treated much better.

It´s not ludacris whatsoever. It´s my opinion, and it´s actually valid. Content is not measured by speech bubbles, it´s measured by the important stuff that happens in a chapter. A chapter without one speech bubble could pack more content than a chapter full of speech bubbles, after all manga is visual medium.

I mean, you can fight for speech bubbles all you want but I'm not really sure where that argument comes from. Yes, on average, One Piece has more speech bubbles than Bleach . . but it also has more characters, more action, more excitement, faster pacing and a better flow week to week. It has minor characters and background characters the reader (me, in this instance) actually cares to see talk or fight and builds excitement around them.

Doesn't work for everyone, which I understand, but I do not get the train of thought that One Piece is 60% filler, or even 30% filler for that matter. Not that you necessarily do either, I know you were just quoting, but One Piece is one of the better paced shonen out there by far and I don't think that's too ridiculous to say.

They feel short because a lot of the time not a lot happens. Lets look at the most recent chapter. Aizen sneak attacks Ichigo's dad, Urahara shows up and drives him off (arguably this happened last chapter). Ichigo's dad yells out and fights the hollow, Ichigo's mom shows up and beats it while Aizen says something as he's leaving. That's not a lot of content. There's an entire page and a half where it's just Ichigo's mom looking at the aftermath of an attack.

The pacing at the end and during the dialogue is fine, but the fights are really drawn out. Way more than they need to be.

Ahh you missed out. Its the little details that take up panels. For example, Isshin was injured in his ankle which is why he couldn't pursue White when it attacked Masaki.

Also Masaki wasn't just staring at the fight, the burning wreck that crashed near her? That was White's arm that Isshin cut off and she distracted White with an Arrow to save Isshin from a Cero to the face.

Important details such as White being based off a Shinigami soul and Kaname actually giving a damn about it like he did with WonderWeiss and Aizen noticing that Masaki was a Quincy. Not to mention Masaki does not have one of those spirit mediums to form her bow from what I saw which makes her Bow one of the very basic ones.

The fights would be boring if they were as short instead of the style they were done in. Its like saying Naruto/Luffy should use Bijuu Rasengan/Red Hawk to beat their respective villains immediately instead of dragging out the fight and showing off injuries along with the struggle of winning. Goku doesn't auto use Spirit Bomb and end the fight, he has to throw a few punches.

Now if you believe the fights are still too long in Bleach then thats a different opinion of yours.

Big One

Banned
I mean, you can fight for speech bubbles all you want but I'm not really sure where that argument comes from. Yes, on average, One Piece has more speech bubbles than Bleach . . but it also has more characters, more action, more excitement, faster pacing and a better flow week to week. It has minor characters and background characters the reader (me, in this instance) actually cares to see talk or fight and builds excitement around them.

Doesn't work for everyone, which I understand, but I do not get the train of thought that One Piece is 60% filler, or even 30% filler for that matter. Not that you necessarily do either, I know you were just quoting, but One Piece is one of the better paced shonen out there by far and I don't think that's too ridiculous to say.
One Piece is better paced because it's paced like a normal manga, which is practically alien in concept for a lot of readers on here. When all you read is Bleach your idea of how a manga should be paneled gets warped into this singular concept that most manga do not share.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Ahh you missed out. Its the little details that take up panels. For example, Isshin was injured in his ankle which is why he couldn't pursue White when it attacked Masaki.

Also Masaki wasn't just staring at the fight, the burning wreck that crashed near her? That was White's arm that Isshin cut off and she distracted White with an Arrow to save Isshin from a Cero to the face.

Important details such as White being based off a Shinigami soul and Kaname actually giving a damn about it like he did with WonderWeiss and Aizen noticing that Masaki was a Quincy. Not to mention Masaki does not have one of those spirit mediums to form her bow from what I saw which makes her Bow one of the very basic ones.

The fights would be boring if they were as short instead of the style they were done in. Its like saying Naruto/Luffy should use Bijuu Rasengan/Red Hawk to beat their respective villains immediately instead of dragging out the fight and showing off injuries along with the struggle of winning. Goku doesn't auto use Spirit Bomb and end the fight, he has to throw a few punches.

Now if you believe the fights are still too long in Bleach then thats a different opinion of yours.

It's true, but doesn't it feel like a lot of the times that the fights are always the same? I guess I'm mainly talking main conflict here. Ichigo struggles, training arc, Ichigo is better and wins. Ichigo loses, Ichigo gets madder and goes super sayain by . . getting madder. I'm all for tension and for really getting into details in a fight, but it was never a strong point of a bleach for me, especially after the entire Soul Society arc and its fantastic twist. It also was never a problem in the early stages when he is actually going after hollows. The tension is there, the reader feels it and the threat, and there's a wonderful lack of deus ex to just let him win.

It's not that I can't enjoy it or anything, it just wears on the reader over time. Fatigue sets in. Okay, cool, can we just skip all this useless stuff to the part where the villian says, "But I wasn't even fighting at full strength!" ten times and the good guy just wins because? It's lazy story telling.

Not to just pile it on Bleach or anything, but it'll definitely sit better in a re-read when everything is done. The pacing automatically picks up volume to volume and not the atrocious week to week. I am excited to read this Quincy arc too.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
One Piece is better paced because it's paced like a normal manga, which is practically alien in concept for a lot of readers on here. When all you read is Bleach your idea of how a manga should be paneled gets warped into this singular concept that most manga do not share.

... a lot of MangaGAF members don't understand the concept of a "normal manga pacing" you say?

This is another reason why i think arc is better Kubo has been using his panels better since this arc started compare to parts of Hueco Mondo arc .

It's true, but doesn't it feel like a lot of the times that the fights are always the same? I guess I'm mainly talking main conflict here. Ichigo struggles, training arc, Ichigo is better and wins. Ichigo loses, Ichigo gets madder and goes super sayain by . . getting madder. I'm all for tension and for really getting details in a fight, but it was never a strong point of a bleach for me, mainly after the entire Soul Society arc and fantastic twist. It also was never a problem in the early stages when he is actually going after hollows. The tension is there, the reader feels it and the threat, and there's no deus ex to just let him win.

It's not that I can't enjoy it or anything, it just wears on the reader over time. Fatigue sets in. Okay, cool, can we just skip all this useless stuff to the part where the villian says, "But I wasn't even fighting at full strength!" ten times and the good guy just wins because? It's lazy story telling.

No to just pile it on Bleach or anything, but it'll definitely sit better in a re-read when everything is done. The pacing automatically picks up volume to volume and not the atrocious week to week. I am excited to read this Quincy arc too.

Thats understandable but I have to disagree with the main conflict angle. I could make the same argument for current battle mangas. For the sake and sanity of the thread I'll use DBZ and YYH instead as examples. What you described happens to a T in those 2 mangas and most battle manga for that matter. The tension is still there, problem is if the tension is good enough for you or you are tired of it aka the Hero gains a Deus Ex Machia or the villain reveals he is 10X more powerful at the start/end of a battle.

If fatigue hasn't set in for you for the other manga then that means you found something to enjoy about the said mangas. Maybe you enjoy the world more, or the characters more, or even the author's style.

I agree on the reread, working on my Bleach collection just for that and to support Viz/Kubo.

Big One

Banned
... a lot of MangaGAF members don't understand the concept of a "normal manga pacing" you say?
Apparently so. There is nothing odd or out of line in how One Piece panels or paces it's story, despite constantly getting complaints from people on here.

What is odd or out of line is how Bleach paces itself and it's paneling.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Message to Adolf 7

Pretty sure most of this is bullshit.

But I don't think judging this based on historical accuracy is the right way to go.

I'm liking it so far. I thought they would let the conspiracy go on a bit more, but I'm guessing it's going to be more about the two adolfs pretty soon.

Message to Adolf 7

Pretty sure most of this is bullshit.

But I don't think judging this based on historical accuracy is the right way to go.

I'm liking it so far. I thought they would let the conspiracy go on a bit more, but I'm guessing it's going to be more about the two adolfs pretty soon.

About Hitler being jewish? Yeah, it was a myth.

But I love the story. Some parts of it is crass but it paints an interesting picture on how the world views jewish people in those days.

Claymore last 4 chapters
Seeing Priscilla get beat so easy i was saying WTF and then we got a flashback of her past .
Which was rather interesting and then back to her now fighting after getting rid of other person that was inside her.
To find out more info on how just how broken she is mean while the male awaken ones join the next fight vs Priscilla 2.0 .
Looking forward to reading some more chapters after a few months .

Apparently so. There is nothing odd or out of line in how One Piece panels or paces it's story, despite constantly getting complaints from people on here.

What is odd or out of line is how Bleach paces itself and it's paneling.

This argument would have a lot more weight if you provided some panels from classic manga as examples and compared it to the two. Of course, that could be a lot of work, so it's understandable if you don't want to do it.

Now I feel like I should read a classic. What's a good Tezuka to start with?

I remember someone on another forum saying you can remove 60% of one piece and you would not lose a single thing since 60% of the manga is filler.

I can see the butthurt over the statement that someone on another forum said. I guess the truth hurts. There there, no need for that to flip out and have your little world crushed. Acknowledge it, embrace it, and move on.

As I said, nothing has changed in the weeks I was away. :lol

not quoting big one here either

Articalys

Beelzebub

I've honestly completely lost track of who the bad guys are supposed to be in this arc, or what's going on in general. Though to be fair, not paying attention for the last handful of chapters probably didn't help.

Beelzebub

I've honestly completely lost track of who the bad guys are supposed to be in this arc, or what's going on in general. Though to be fair, not paying attention for the last handful of chapters probably didn't help.

It's ok. These guys will be replaced by even stronger opponents!

wonzo

Banned
Futakuchi-Onna to Kyokon Otoko

futakuchionna.jpg

"A story about a descendant of a youkai called futakuchi-onna… who has mouth on the back of her head that can devour everything and anything… It was amazing story with lots of cute moments."

Ehh, this was kinda meh once the "shock factor" wore off. Definitely one of the weirder doujins I've read though.

Reknoc

Futakuchi-Onna to Kyokon Otoko

futakuchionna.jpg

"A story about a descendant of a youkai called futakuchi-onna… who has mouth on the back of her head that can devour everything and anything… It was amazing story with lots of cute moments."

Ehh, this was kinda meh once the "shock factor" wore off. Definitely one of the weirder doujins I've read though.

I think I've read something with the same type of monster girl, dunno if it was that though.

Theonik

Hot House
A touching story about friendship, and the value of loyalty to one's friends. It was a fairly er... Interesting doujin. Art wasn't bad, though somewhat busy at times. Not as bad as it was in some of his earlier works though.
As for the work itself, I will leave the TLDR here.

Akito

So apparently the Evangelion manga is going to end with the next chapter (scheduled for June). End of an era right there.

Evangelion 94b
Nooooooooooooo Rei

if2gwulzZI7Bk.gif

wonzo

Banned
Hot House
A touching story about friendship, and the value of loyalty to one's friends. It was a fairly er... Interesting doujin. Art wasn't bad, though somewhat busy at times. Not as bad as it was in some of his earlier works though.
As for the work itself, I will leave the TLDR here.
A truly heartwarming tale about friendship. A must read imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom