• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

rouken

I'm pretty sure the Dofla crew members don't come until after the battle royale.

oh, so that's why there are five of them. diamante would be the last fight because he's the current champion. i think burgess would definitely lose to luffy or forfeit.

One Piece
tumblr_mkofhnCOOc1rx964ho1_r2_250.png

Almost as awesome as the Naruto chapter this week. Cavendish is easily one of Oda's best designs since time skip Coby was introduced, and Traffy as well, and in the upper echelon of One Piece designs in general. Really cant wait to hear who shall voice him in the anime. He needed way more panel time though as he easily has had quite a high percentage of best moments for a character in a panel. I wonder how his other crew looks. Am really hyped to see where we go from here.

it would be awesome if he had an all girls crew just see sanji's reaction. or maybe he has some beautiful bros.

also this shot is really awesome:

kyZQ5l7.gif

One Piece has been for a long time my favorite battle manga, actually the only battle manga I bother to read on a regular basis.

That said, if Oda has really forgotten how to focus his motherfucking plots then I think I'm going to drop this series for a few years and read it in bulk. Fishman Island I defended as awkward transition. Punk Hazard I excused as setup. However if this new arc is going to have five different protagonist groups running around with three or more major antagonist factions then I cannot see this resulting in anything but another tangled clusterfuck like Punk Hazard but worse.

Impel Down and Marineford are two of the greatest arcs I've ever read in any series because they centered on Luffy alone and dispensed with the rest of the cast. There is simply no need to dedicate massive subplots to every single member of the Straw Hats, in fact that detracts from the overall narrative and robs the arc of cohesion. The samurai suck and seem shoehorned into these arcs because they are; the focus should be razor sharp on the Law and Luffy alliance which is frankly one of the only compelling developments to emerge in the past couple of years but instead Oda is succumbing to roster creep like Sonic and his Shitty Friends.

Get your shit in order, Oda. The New World has yet to produce a truly great arc, and we've been waiting long enough by now.

MCD

And I hated Marineford because it centered on Luffy alone and trashed the rest of the cast.

I just want my Zoro fix every week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
oh, so that's why there are five of them. diamante would be the last fight because he's the current champion. i think burgess would definitely lose to luffy or forfeit.

it would be awesome if he had an all girls crew just see sanji's reaction. or maybe he has some beautiful bros.

kyZQ5l7.gif

I bet the girl Sanji is with is going to be after this guy, it just seems like too much of a coincidence to have a scorned woman and a lady killer in the same story arc.

And I hated Marineford because it centered on Luffy alone and trashed the rest of the cast.

I just want my Zoro fix every week.

You're not going to get that fix because there are so many different characters and plot threads these days that none of them get their due attention. It's like having a kiddie pool a mile wide but two inches deep. The narrative is stretched. Too. Thin.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

kyZQ5l7.gif

Can't believe I didn't notice this. That is hilarious he ate the rose.

ONE PIECE!

What an absolutely jam packed chapter. I can't wait to reread everything PT.2 in a couple years to keep it fresh, it's going to absolutely blow by in terms of pacing and arc size. So much is going on in the story, so many subplots, and yet it feels like not a panel is wasted and actually keeps me entertained for every page.

I have no idea where this is all going and I have no idea what it all leads to. All I know is I am so very pumped to watch it play out. Oda is pretty much a master of his chess pieces and has always treated them so well. I have no fucking idea how he keeps up with his own story and scale, setting things in motion 100 chapters ago that only start to play out. Bellamy and Blackbeards dude being at the collosseum too?? This is getting awesome.

Favorite part: Easily Lucy announcing himself as Luffy without thinking. Made me actually laugh out loud.

PUMPED UP

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
One Piece has been for a long time my favorite battle manga, actually the only battle manga I bother to read on a regular basis.

That said, if Oda has really forgotten how to focus his motherfucking plots then I think I'm going to drop this series for a few years and read it in bulk. Fishman Island I defended as awkward transition. Punk Hazard I excused as setup. However if this new arc is going to have five different protagonist groups running around with three or more major antagonist factions then I cannot see this resulting in anything but another tangled clusterfuck like Punk Hazard but worse.

Impel Down and Marineford are two of the greatest arcs I've ever read in any series because they centered on Luffy alone and dispensed with the rest of the cast. There is simply no need to dedicate massive subplots to every single member of the Straw Hats, in fact that detracts from the overall narrative and robs the arc of cohesion. The samurai suck and seem shoehorned into these arcs because they are; the focus should be razor sharp on the Law and Luffy alliance which is frankly one of the only compelling developments to emerge in the past couple of years but instead Oda is succumbing to roster creep like Sonic and his Shitty Friends.

Get your shit in order, Oda. The New World has yet to produce a truly great arc, and we've been waiting long enough by now.
Agreed. Unfortunately I don't think this is going to change. Oda peaked at ID/MF. His best arcs because they focused on Luffy. As for his traditional "Island Style everyone's involved" arcs, he peaked at Water 7. That's when the cast was just small enough so that crew dynamics were crucial and with Robin gone things were certainly focused. No Franky yet since he was just an arc-sidekick.

Now, Oda just keeps adding more and more shit. It's unnecessary fluff and we should expect more of it. I really did perk my attention back to One Piece when he introduced Law and the alliance. I really believed there would be a laser point focus on the alliance and the dynamic of Luffy and Law. But soon after that, we got weighed down with a bunch of bullshit. It's too much.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Agreed. Unfortunately I don't think this is going to change. Oda peaked at ID/MF. His best arcs because they focused on Luffy. As for his traditional "Island Style everyone's involved" arcs, he peaked at Water 7. That's when the cast was just small enough so that crew dynamics were crucial and with Robin gone things were certainly focused. No Franky yet since he was just an arc-sidekick.

Now, Oda just keeps adding more and more shit. It's unnecessary fluff and we should expect more of it. I really did perk my attention back to One Piece when he introduced Law and the alliance. I really believed there would be a laser point focus on the alliance and the dynamic of Luffy and Law. But soon after that, we got weighed down with a bunch of bullshit. It's too much.

I don't really understand any of it being fluff or padding to the story when we haven't even seen how it will play out at all. Honestly, it always feels like more world building and setting things into motion than fluff at all. It keeps weekly readings exciting and jam packed with mystery.

You're right about the more focused arcs being better overall, but I actually thought Punk Hazard was really good. Yes, from Saobody -> War is easily the best (followed so very closely behind with Water 7 of course), this other side of his writing is just as exciting. Not that excess is better, but we're seeing more of the world, more of the characters and things are escalating accordingly. I'm all about it.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I know, it kills me that somewhere, someone likes things I don't like, too.
I'm just trying to understand how it makes sense. We basically condensed the great VOTE battle between arguably the two strongest ninjas in the history of Naruto's world (Other than SoTSP) into five panels. Then we got a sloppy conclusion to it all which was basically "lol clone". This may have been a genjutsu, but even so that makes Hashirama look like an idiot.

Not to mention Madara's turn is completely ridiculous. But even more ridiculous is Hashirama's seemingly random turn, it's not as if we got hints of Hashirama's potential to be a badass throughout the course of this (small, non-explanatory) flashback. He just kind of said "okay well...you're dead *mean face*". Where was this Hashirama when Madara was yapping off at the mouth about "kill yourself or your brother"?

Kreed

One Piece:

I agree with most of this except for Impel Down and Marine Ford, which to me were horribly rushed arcs that only were praised because of the number of cameos and suffered without the rest of the Straw Hats to tell a genuine story. IMO, Oda peaked with Sabaody Archipelago and hasn't delivered a better story since then.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm just trying to understand how it makes sense. We basically condensed the great VOTE battle between arguably the two strongest ninjas in the history of Naruto's world (Other than SoTSP) into five panels. Then we got a sloppy conclusion to it all which was basically "lol clone". This may have been a genjutsu, but even so that makes Hashirama look like an idiot.

Not to mention Madara's turn is completely ridiculous. But even more ridiculous is Hashirama's seemingly random turn, it's not as if we got hints of Hashirama's potential to be a badass throughout the course of this (small, non-explanatory) flashback. He just kind of said "okay well...you're dead *mean face*". Where was this Hashirama when Madara was yapping off at the mouth about "kill yourself or your brother"?
You realize they already showed the rest of the battle, right?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing the chapter had problems, but the ones you're listing isn't really displaying much insight into to what your particular problem is. Its just a plot summary and then saying "that sucked."

I'm somewhat concerned about that last bit of criticism (apparently asking why Hashirama didn't just kill Madara in the previous battle); if you don't actually understand that, you're literally failing to comprehend the basic plot line. I have to question whether you're even reading it, or just skimming it so you can complain.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Don't understand why.

Outside of Nami, Boa, and Robin, I find absolutely nothing appealing about the women in OP.

What makes you think One Piece doujins are exclusively about the women?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
You realize they already showed the rest of the battle, right?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing the chapter had problems, but the ones you're listing isn't really displaying much insight into to what your particular problem is. Its just a plot summary and then saying "that sucked."

I'm somewhat concerned about that last bit of criticism (apparently asking why Hashirama didn't just kill Madara in the previous battle); if you don't actually understand that, you're literally failing to comprehend the basic plot line. I have to question whether you're even reading it, or just skimming it so you can complain.
They showed the rest of the battle, huh? Well, it sure didn't feel like it.

I'm not asking why he didn't kill Madara. I'm wondering where "this Hashirama" was. In other words, the Hashirama that understands that idealism and a lack of backbone doesn't always work. Did he suddenly learn that? Oh, is it because he fought Madara like he had been for the past X amount of years? Did he just figure out that Madara was batshit insane despite his brother telling him so for the past X amount of years?

I literally skim all the manga I read. How else could I keep them down to Bleach times?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They showed the rest of the battle, huh? Well, it sure didn't feel like it.

I'm not asking why he didn't kill Madara. I'm wondering where "this Hashirama" was. In other words, the Hashirama that understands that idealism and a lack of backbone doesn't always work. Did he suddenly learn that? Oh, is it because he fought Madara like he had been for the past X amount of years? Did he just figure out that Madara was batshit insane despite his brother telling him so for the past X amount of years?

I literally skim all the manga I read. How else could I keep them down to Bleach times?

I don't understand why you think that's a different question. He didn't kill Madara before because he hadn't come to the realization that the village's well being was more important than his personal relationship with Madara. It's hammered home several times that Hashirama thought Madara was justifiably upset and that he wanted to accommodate both the village and Madara's persecution-complex.

Griffith

Banned
Ippo 1007

Fuck yeah Volg. That was the best fight in a long time. Hopefully the world stage brings more like this and less of the gimmick matches.

Deadman Wonderland 54

Seeing everyone leaving and Ganta entering the ferris wheel to confront Shiro really makes me believe he's not going to survive this :(

Angry Grimace

Speaking of One Piece, I found a very strange, random strawhat (that doesn't belong to me or anyone that I know) sitting in my backyard in front of the door.

Ippo 1007

Fuck yeah Volg. That was the best fight in a long time. Hopefully the world stage brings more like this and less of the gimmick matches.

Yeah, this was probably the best fight since Sawamura vs Mashiba. It was pretty strong from start to finish, and Morikawa did a great job really executing on all of the strategy and getting into the minds of both fighters.

It was also really nice because there was no Itagaki around fucking things up. This fight really restored a lot of my faith in the manga after all of the Miyata/Itagaki wank of the last couple of years.

Lain

You know, Oda's art-style probably makes it real hard to find doujin.

Please don't prove me wrong.

But I want to prove you wrong, because there are so many OP doujin that you can find any kind you want.

For example the ones about Nami and Robin being such big sluts that when they get to a new town, they go to this club in which they are members and there they prostitute themselves because they simply love the cock. They are well drawn too, as one would expect from Matou.
Acid-Head has improved over the years, with the Nami doujins getting better and better.
Let's not forget Dashigara 100% or Queen of Vanilla. Queen of Vanilla drew a nice gender bender one with Smoker and Tashigi switching bodies.
And what about Isao or Denki Shogun? Some of their latest, with the girl's new looks, are simply hot, and there are so many, many more artists and groups releasing constantly new ones!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
But I want to prove you wrong, because there are so many OP doujin that you can find any kind you want.

For example the ones about Nami and Robin being such big sluts that when they get to a new town, they go to this club in which they are members and there they prostitute themselves because they simply love the cock. They are well drawn too, as one would expect from Matou.
Acid-Head has improved over the years, with the Nami doujins getting better and better.
Let's not forget Dashigara 100% or Queen of Vanilla. Queen of Vanilla drew a nice gender bender one with Smoker and Tashigi switching bodies.
And what about Isao or Denki Shogun? Some of their latest, with the girl's new looks, are simply hot, and there are so many, many more artists and groups releasing constantly new ones!

Crimson Comics is still the best, art-wise.

...Don't ask me how I know it >_____>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom