• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

This needs to be answered!

It's Katanagatari, as answered before.

And for anyone wondering why it's a troll:
For the first 3 episodes of the series, Sabi Hakuehi, the white swordsman in that gif, is hyped as the strongest swordsman in Japan. The preview for episode 4 shows that gif of their epic fight. Episode 4 happens and the fight is never shown, focusing on a completely different character, only switching back to the main characters at the end as they describe how totally awesome the fight was.

1339171134372.gif

The above troll is one of the greatest in all of fiction. Kubo wishes he was in league with Nisio.

I don't remember this at all.

Oh. Now I do. Goddamn Nisio.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ugh man, did Soul Eater 108 ever get a non-Panda translation? It's basically unreadable.

"A sound sound dwells in a sound mind and a sound body."

You don't say.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I always skip episode previews.

Now I regret everything.

Never again.

Koigokoro (Otokogokoro 9) end
tumblr_mkzq7aG2Ae1qgfmf3o3_500.jpg

Excellent conclusion to the series with great final scene for Jun and Saki and intense too. Ill miss them all especially the chapters closing the series out as Jun, ever so slightly, started to want to do things too. Sharing the chocolates was a small gesture but a good scene. Saki's coworker was hilarious to have around for his commentary throughout many of the chapters. Otherwise one of my favorite series and really good looking character designs.

upandaway

Hayate 402

i'm freaking out

I'M FREAKING OUT

I always skip episode previews.

Now I regret everything.

Never again.
I never heard about this either, I skipped that preview. All those times I've seen the gif put up, now I finally understand.

I'm happy I'm alive. I could have died.

Never Complex 4 (over drive)

Good one shot short story after the mains story concluded. Tomoki and Midori are good (substitute) teacher and student and I liked their whole conversation throughout the car to eventual room scene.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I never heard about this either, I skipped that preview. All those times I've seen the gif put up, now I finally understand.

I'm happy I'm alive. I could have died.
This is the first time I've seen it and it's in a shitty compressed to hell tiny gif.

:(

Kusagari

It's probably why I didn't realize what the gif was until now. That must have been so hype to see it in the preview, oh god.

I went through Katanagatari recently and had already gotten spoiled on the troll in advance so it didn't bother me. Plus what we got instead was amazing.

But I can't imagine people who were watching this as it released. Waiting an entire month, with that as your preview for episode 4, only to get Nisio'd

Shingeki no Kyojin-44 spoilers

Eren and Ryner have a wrestling match, and Eren is about to kill him when Bert enters the fray

Akito

Shingeki no Kyojin-44 spoilers

Eren and Ryner have a wrestling match, and Eren is about to kill him when Bert enters the fray
Wait what, Eren was about to get his ass kicked. Fuck Bertholt, his existence alone is a goddamn cheat.

upandaway

Ranking them is way too awkward for me to attempt. I have incredible affinity with the concept of GI but the Ant arc has been HxH to me for the entire time I've known the series, it's just a rollercoaster.

It's pretty weird how I think of GI as the "after story" (the finale being Yorkshin) and Chimera Ant arc is some sort of "lesser known, grittier Part 2" like what you'd have with manga-only sequels to popular series, just because of how the old anime was structured. To new anime watchers, it's all flush.

Akito

Koisome Momiji 29-31
Those came out of nowhere. Dat onsen chapter, goddamn. I hope that Miura will get serialized again soon, this time without the idol crap please.

Wiseblade

OK, let's go. Chimera Ant is the worst HxH arc, easily. Even if you ignore the scribbles, it's still the worst. It drags on FOREVER. Like seriously, Chimera Ant is HunterxHunter's Namek. the enemies are ridiculously overpowered; almost every named character has a turn jobbing for the Ants.

I also didn't like the narration style Togashi adopted towards the end of the arc. Mostly because all it ever seems to do was go on and on about just how screwed everybody was.

Greed Island was masterfully paced and plotted. The game's rules are clearly established early on and never broken; the whole thing just feel complete and real. Yorkshin was the closest thing you'll ever get to a truly character driven story arc in a JUMP shonen. The actions of all the major players are purely driven by their personal motivations.

Chimera Ant has almost none of that. The Ants don't feel as fleshed out as the rules for GI and their motivations aren't as solid or as interesting as those displayed in Yorkshin.

Kusagari

Chimera Ant arc is best.

I love arcs where the heroes have basically no hope. The arc really creates a sense of dread about the outcome.

I thought we had all agreed to agree that Yorkshin = Greed Island = Chimera Ant because HxH is incredible the whole way though.

Chimera Ant was my favorite and the best

Korosenai

Chimera Ant arc is best.

I love arcs where the heroes have basically no hope. The arc really creates a sense of dread about the outcome.
This one of the reasons (there are many more) why I loved that arc. I had no idea what was going to happen and it was incredible. I think reading it all in one go through is why I think its the best HxH arc (Chimera > Yorkshin > Greed Island). It was just a great read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom