• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Medaka Box 191

Always like it when a story with a diverse and interesting cast concludes by showing the characters' futures.

Also some scrappy 3rd popularity poll results with no totals (aside from the top 3 which were shown in ch169). Don't think they've been posted before. Source.

1 - Misogi Kumagawa = 2824
2 - Kouki Akune = 1084
3 - Zenkichi Hitoyoshi = 885
4 - Mukae Emukae
5 - Youka Naze
6 - Medaka Kurokami
7 - Najimi Ajimu
8 - Hansode Shiranui
9 - Kei Munakata
10 - Tsugiha Yojirou
11 - Myouga Unzen
12 - Mogana Kikaijima

Emukae and Naze above Medaka where they should be. Ajimu must've been a counting error. Nienami is where?

Akito

Medaka Box 191

Always like it when a story with a diverse and interesting cast concludes by showing the characters' futures.

Also some scrappy 3rd popularity poll results with no totals (aside from the top 3 which were shown in ch169). Don't think they've been posted before. Source.

2 - Kouki Akune = 1084
4 - Mukae Emukae
5 - Youka Naze
6 - Medaka Kurokami
7 - Najimi Ajimu
8 - Hansode Shiranui
9 - Kei Munakata
10 - Tsugiha Yojirou
11 - Myouga Unzen
12 - Mogana Kikaijima

Emukae and Naze above Medaka where they should be. Ajimu must've been a counting error. Nienami is where?
Eh, looks like the one from last October

http://i.minus.com/isWEhYw3Icg2Y.jpg

Retcon: ah ok, only the top 3 got announced back then. My bad.

Jojolion 20

Fantastic chapter and I loved the way the stand was revealed. Joushuu's stand seems to be pretty crazy as well, wonder how he can be used in combat.

Kurita

I remember someone posting a chart with the average rankings of Jump series a while ago.
Can't find it anymore...
I think it was Akito or Articalys who posted it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I got this quote from a member on another forum

I was thinking that both Zeref and Acknalogia will be involved since Zeref´s energy has been felt Jellal in the tournament, and Acknalogia is the king of dragons and his festival is near.

The "weird" energy is coming from Rogue, dude. We don't even know where Igneel, Metallicana or Grandine went.

survivor

Banned

2 - Kouki Akune = 1084
4 - Mukae Emukae
5 - Youka Naze
6 - Medaka Kurokami
7 - Najimi Ajimu
8 - Hansode Shiranui
9 - Kei Munakata
10 - Tsugiha Yojirou
11 - Myouga Unzen
12 - Mogana Kikaijima

Wow, what a terrible top 3. Medaka Box fans have awful taste.

Fairy Tail

Hmm not all that much going on except Rouge revealed as the baddie of the arc. Where the hell is Minerva? I have a bad feeling about that bitch.

I'm just looking forward to Dragon Force Natsu and what happens with the 7 Dragons. Maybe the 10 Holy mages or whatever makes an appearance or Jellal's plan works out.

HSDK

HOLY FANSERVICE! Wow I've seen more of Renka and Castor's body than all other chapters combined. Lots of interesting censorship with the fighting and word bubbles lol. Wouldn't be shocked if they became a couple near the end of the manga LOL.

Poor Chikage is still conflicted. Sig and Natsu's fight was ehh. Too rushed and ended way too fast. But lol at Sig trolling Natsu by saying he would lose vs Kenichi.

Looking forward to Tanaka vs Kensai.

Medaka Box 191

2 - Kouki Akune = 1084
4 - Mukae Emukae
5 - Youka Naze
6 - Medaka Kurokami
7 - Najimi Ajimu
8 - Hansode Shiranui
9 - Kei Munakata
10 - Tsugiha Yojirou
11 - Myouga Unzen
12 - Mogana Kikaijima

My Unzen is missing, otherwise good top 3, and Munakata is even there, nice.

Kurita

Hmm.. I have this on my stack of unread mangas
1WRJHEj.jpg
Aka Kokou no Hito.
Looks fantastic, bought it a while a ago and I still haven't opened it. Heh, will read tomorrow and post my impressions.

The covers are ridiculously gorgeous

upandaway

Whoa Emukae is that popular? I didn't know that. I guess she is the source of the famous doublespread, haha.

The truth is that every single person voted for Nienami with a secondary vote for another character, so they made a list of the secondary votes.

Bakuman

What? I thought they were, in universe, in complete control over the duration of that series not yielding to no one, I dont understand how you reached that conclusion from that.
Everything about how it turned out was fantastical, dreamy and idealistic and would obviously not work in real life, driven by a real business, and I'm 100% sure that was the intended impression. I kind of don't really know what you're talking about there, sorry!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Medaka Box has a billion characters and they all have nonsensical, super contextual powers. From what I can tell, it got worse beyond the point I dropped it.

It's not weird at all, they have always had pretty neat concept for manga with pretty tight introductions. The brainstorming in Bakuman was the best part about it too.

(Kurita close your eyes)
Reversi's situation at the end of Bakuman is a direct reference to the complaints about the second half of Death Note (and even Bakuman itself if we're going super meta). They answered pretty clearly that they have no control over when their manga ends, and they never will. Just enjoy it while you can.

Assassination Classroom

Yeah I'm not sure how this can fly with anyone. I thought the photo was put there by Korosensei until the teacher drove a knee into the kid.. I mean I know Class E is a thing, but we're talking law here.

I don't say this to be confrontational, but is there a source on that?

Its not that I had an ipso facto problem with someone else taking down Light by being less beholden to weird, unspoken rules than L was, I had a problem with the fact that Near and Mello were not very well thought out or interesting characters so it was lame when they took him down.

I've been reading Medaka Box from the 160ish chapters so I have no clue whats going on buts its been pretty fun. I'll have to go backwards and read it from the beginning lol.

Wiseblade

So guys, should I go back and finish Medaka Box? I stopped around the Not Equals arc, When Ajimu is all "I'm going to make Zenkichi the main character!

Kurita

I've been reading Medaka Box from the 160ish chapters so I have no clue whats going on buts its been pretty fun. I'll have to go backwards and read it from the beginning lol.

Wait, why did you start from chapter 160 ?

I read 4 Medaka Box volumes, gotta buy volume 5 and 6 now... Hope it get crazier soon, so far it's just been a silly battle shounen.

Bakuman

Everything about how it turned out was fantastical, dreamy and idealistic and would obviously not work in real life, driven by a real business, and I'm 100% sure that was the intended impression. I kind of don't really know what you're talking about there, sorry!

Well I thought your post was implying that in real life manga creators have no control over the length of their series and would be forced to drag it out as long as its popular, which, in Bakuman there was extensive discussion about the two battling opinions on series/writer wishes and popularity/business interests for the magazine and affecting the length. Surely in real life, writers dont have no control over their own works?

Articalys

I remember someone posting a chart with the average rankings of Jump series a while ago.
Can't find it anymore...
I think it was Akito or Articalys who posted it.
If you're talking about the 8-week ranking averages, those were from the same blog that posts the Jump TOC each week, and they stopped doing the averages like four months ago. Not that you couldn't look over the TOC archives and do the calculations yourself, of course.

upandaway

I don't say this to be confrontational, but is there a source on that?

Its not that I had an ipso facto problem with someone else taking down Light by being less beholden to weird, unspoken rules than L was, I had a problem with the fact that Near and Mello were not very well thought out or interesting characters so it was lame when they took him down.
Well it is a different sort of (legitimate) problem that they struggle keeping the quality up, I was just talking about the other problem of them not ending their series.

I didn't mean to say anything that would require a source, sorry if it seemed like I did! It's just the heavy impression I got from it (though I doubt they wanted to end DN with L as it really happened in the manga, that's just silly). I was drinking some camomile tea at that time and man that thing does stuff to your brain.

survivor

Banned
Hmm.. I have this on my stack of unread mangas

Aka Kokou no Hito.
Looks fantastic, bought it a while a ago and I still haven't opened it. Heh, will read tomorrow and post my impressions.

The covers are ridiculously gorgeous

Why does MU say this has 4 writers?

Angry Grimace

Well it is a different sort of (legitimate) problem that they struggle keeping the quality up, I was just talking about the other problem of them not ending their series.

I didn't mean to say anything that would require a source, sorry if it seemed like I did! It's just the heavy impression I got from it (though I doubt they wanted to end DN with L as it really happened in the manga, that's just silly). I was drinking some camomile tea at that time and man that thing does stuff to your brain.

I couldn't tell if you meant they had said outside the series intended as a comment on DN or whether it just seemed like is, which I can understand. As much as I want to believe that, again, they executed the Idol Arc without any irony or comment, so I have my doubts there was some kind of buried commentary.

I would have thought Death Note was fucking awesome if the end of DN
was L being dead.

Stinky

Stinky's Amenesia Adventure

Episodes 47-50. Hell yes.

The Uvo fight was amazing, this is absolutely Kurapikas arc. Whenever you guys talked about the YorkNew arc I always thought "The one where Gon and Killua buy and sell random garbage?" which is what the next episode led into. I thought the appraising techniques Zephile taught them were kind of irrelevant..we got it, Gon is innocent/inquisitive.

But they werent! - how could I forget this cool-ass breakout. Such a cool call-back.

I chose the absolute worst arc to stop paying attention.

Nisekoi 71

Thunderbolt and lightning
Marika is frightening

Ononderaaa
Ononderaa
Onondera
Magnifico

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well I thought your post was implying that in real life manga creators have no control over the length of their series and would be forced to drag it out as long as its popular, which, in Bakuman there was extensive discussion about the two battling opinions on series/writer wishes and popularity/business interests for the magazine and affecting the length. Surely in real life, writers dont have no control over their own works?

They have a certain amount of control, but lets be real editorial has sway over how long or what direction a series will go as well.

upandaway

So guys, should I go back and finish Medaka Box? I stopped around the Not Equals arc, When Ajimu is all "I'm going to make Zenkichi the main character!
Aw man I thought you were doing a "should- oh wait" thing. You sure fooled me.

There's room to maneuver the argument a lot, mainly because companies know what won't sit well with fans, but the default answer based on all of the crazy rumors and general common sense out there is that they have no control. Do we know if they even own the IP legally (i.e. Jump can't just decide at the end of a contract to move the manga to another author)?

Kurita

Why does MU say this has 4 writers?

It's adapted from a book by Jirou Natta so that's one writer. I think the first volumes were written by someone else, then the artist became the writer. Dunno about the fourth writer. Maybe he joined the artist later on.

Thanks Akito, that's what I was looking for!

upandaway

If you're talking about the 8-week ranking averages, those were from the same blog that posts the Jump TOC each week, and they stopped doing the averages like four months ago. Not that you couldn't look over the TOC archives and do the calculations yourself, of course.
Those guys just pulled it from a Japanese site (which still does it every week, in 10-week averages). I saved a link somewhere but oh well.

I couldn't tell if you meant they had said outside the series intended as a comment on DN or whether it just seemed like is, which I can understand. As much as I want to believe that, again, they executed the Idol Arc without any irony or comment, so I have my doubts there was some kind of buried commentary.

I would have thought Death Note was fucking awesome if the end of DN
was L being dead.
:lol yeah it would have been pretty neat. I assume though if they really did go ahead with ending the series there, they would have transformed it into something where Light ultimately loses
even if L dies

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
HSDK

This is hard to say but...somehow the jacket Renka was wearing ended up being distracting while they fought.

I've just become to used to the fanservice in this manga. :(

Stinky

Is there a precedent of manga artists submitting oneshots while theyre still being serialised?

I've never seen it before but this would be at least the second one Kishi has had in Jump while Naruto has ran?

To be honest I wouldn't mind it Naruto wrapped up in about a year or two, nice little ending..
and if Mario is good he has a serialisation of that.

:lol yeah it would have been pretty neat. I assume though if they really did go ahead with ending the series there, they would have transformed it into something where Light ultimately loses
even if L dies

No, the proper way to spoiler that is just to spoiler tag L's name!

upandaway

this cool-ass breakout[/URL]. Such a cool call-back.

I chose the absolute worst arc to stop paying attention.
Shh, it's a secret to everyone, but I was still iffy on Nen until like the 3rd time I went through HxH (I was like 11).

It's pretty important in Yorkshin, not a big deal in GI (rather, it's like a re-introduction), and you should be able to write a wiki on it off-memory to really lock onto everything in the Ant arc. So there you go!

A
There's room to maneuver the argument a lot, mainly because companies know what won't sit well with fans, but the default answer based on all of the crazy rumors and general common sense out there is that they have no control. Do we know if they even own the IP legally (i.e. Jump can't just decide at the end of a contract to move the manga to another author)?

Seems like a rotten thing a publisher/editor would do to forcibly keep a series going against a creators wish, couldnt they tarnish or ruin their future relationship with them once its over. Let them end the current series and do another work.

7Th

Isn't the ending where
L reveals he faked his death to make Light reveal himself
?

L sacrifices himself to force Light to reveal himself by writing "L Lawliet will die 23 days from this date"; I'm actually surprised they didn't do much with the time frame "rule" in the actual manga.

dramatis

Shh, it's a secret to everyone, but I was still iffy on Nen until like the 3rd time I went through HxH (I was like 11).

It's pretty important in Yorkshin, not a big deal in GI (rather, it's like a re-introduction), and you should be able to write a wiki on it off-memory to really lock onto everything in the Ant arc. So there you go!
You are an embarrassment.

Do it like this:
Code:
[ QUOTE=Stinky;54615813 ][B]Stinky's Amenesia Adventure[/B]

The Uvo fight was amazing, this is absolutely Kurapikas arc. Whenever you guys talked about the YorkNew arc I always thought "The one where Gon and Killua buy and sell random garbage?" which is what the next episode led into. I thought the appraising techniques Zephile taught them were kind of irrelevant..we got it, Gon is innocent/inquisitive.

But they werent! - how could I forget [ URL="http://i.imgur.com/gfseYfm.jpg" ]this cool-ass breakout[ /URL ]. Such a cool call-back.

I chose the absolute worst arc to stop paying attention.[ /QUOTE ]

Remove the spaces between the brackets and the QUOTE. (And the brackets and the URL)

Easiest thing you could have done was just track down Stinky's original post and click quote, then copy the code and use it to edit your post.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I messed with it for a whole entire entirety 5 minutes and it's only getting worse and worse I'm broken and weary and tired and I wanna go to sleep please help me I don't know what's going on anymore

WHY DOESN'T IT WORK

Whatever you are on you need to share it with the rest of the thread.

upandaway

You are an embarrassment.

Do it like this:
Code:
[ QUOTE=Stinky;54615813 ][B]Stinky's Amenesia Adventure[/B]

But they werent! - how could I forget [ URL="http://i.imgur.com/gfseYfm.jpg" ]this cool-ass breakout[ /URL ]. Such a cool call-back.

I chose the absolute worst arc to stop paying attention.[ /QUOTE ]

Remove the spaces between the brackets and the QUOTE. (And the brackets and the URL)

Easiest thing you could have done was just track down Stinky's original post and click quote, then copy the code and use it to edit your post.
do you fix everything by rollback?

how lewd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom