• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

Mario

The concept of a Mafia story told as an pngoing series is interesting, but this execution was plain bad. Kishimoto tried to fit WAY too many events into a one-shot and none of it really works. I'm glad I wasn't foaming at the mouth for this like some people.

Didn't Kishi do a crappy Baseball one-shot too?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Mario

There is a lot of potential here if it got expanded upon, and the ending might have worked if Mario's origins and mother had been greatly expanded upon. Honestly reading this felt like I was watching Dragon Ball Z Kai Abridged, a condensed summary of a condensed version of the story.

Honestly I still prefer the ninja matrix idea that Grimace and B-Dubs speculated

That would be better than the Naruto dies thing would be. If only because AG and I called it.

Didn't Kishi do a crappy Baseball one-shot too?
He did and I never got around to read it, because I always forget that Kishimoto did more than Naruto.
That would be better than the Naruto dies thing would be. If only because AG and I called it.
No, it wouldn't. If we get the Naruto dies ending, then we should also get an amazing post from DTL. Can't see the same happening with the cheap Matrix rehash.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He did and I never got around to read it, because I always forget that Kishimoto did more than Naruto.

No, it wouldn't. If we get the Naruto dies ending, then we should also get an amazing post by DTL. Can't see the same happening with the cheap Matrix rehash.

Yea but I could post the colbertIcalledit gif if it did.

I little thing that annoyed me about Mario was how much the MC reminded me of Minato, when he laughed. Same expression and all that. It almost drove me nuts.

Yea but I could post the colbertIcalledit gif if it did.
I think it's fair to say that the Colbert gif wouldn't be enough.

wonzo

Banned
The Hole of the Flesh

holeoftheflesh.png

Man, this was pretty boring for a Horihone Saizou collection, though I can't help but wonder what intestinal worms taste like when cooked. ._.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I little thing that annoyed me about Mario was how much the MC reminded me of Minato, when he laughed. Same expression and all that. It almost drove me nuts.

I think it's fair to say that the Colbert gif wouldn't be enough.

Yea, part of me thinks I should work on something just in case.

Amikami

Banned
Read Mario. It was...meh.

Even the art wasn't that great but I do appreciate that the characters felt original enough from the Naruto style, though a little dull.

As far as looks though, Saori seemed a bit familiar. some panels I felt I was watching a lifeless Hinata or a female Sasuke.

Read Mario. It was...meh.

Even the art wasn't that great but I do appreciate that the characters felt original enough from the Naruto style, though a little dull.

As far as looks though, Saori seemed a bit familiar. some panels I felt I was watching a lifeless Hinata or a female Sasuke.

I was surprised that he didn't sneak something about eyes in.

Solune

Is there any example of a manga that personifies the trope of "Wasted Potential" other than Naruto?

Because looking back, Kishi had so many opportunities to have some straight up BOSS moments for a variety of characters, but nope, he took his Uchiha wanking too far.

Mx0

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mario End

Well that was shit.

Better than Narutu but that's pretty much every manga ever made by human hands and computers.

Theme has potential but Kishi's storytelling flaws that lies in Naruto also lies in Mario. Too many twists and turns without a semblance of continuity and structure. And like Naruto, the entirety of it was pointless and not really worth reading.

Translation: better than Naruto, worse than Bleach and One Piece.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1) Find someone with a gimmick
2) Append ":" in front of their name
3) Grats, you just created a new way to summarize some concept with a single word

Big One

Banned
He's saying those are the only 3 manga you read and ever will read.
Well considering he ignores the massive amount of posts I've made in this thread discussing other manga, of course he's going to think that. Just because I'm not a part of Smutgaf, which is THE most active section of this board, doesn't mean I don't read manga.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well considering he ignores the massive amount of posts I've made in this thread discussing other manga, of course he's going to think that. Just because I'm not a part of Smutgaf, which is THE most active section of this board, doesn't mean I don't read manga.

Search exists. You don't have a massive amount of posts about other manga. No, really, you straight up don't.

Big One

Banned
Search exists. You don't have a massive amount of posts about other manga. No, really, you straight up don't.
Uh yes I do, I've discussed plenty of other manga on here, just barely anything on stuff people are actively reading on here because most of it is random moe style manga which doesn't interest me and/or posts of reading stuff like Solanin for the first time ever.

Angry Grimace

Uh yes I do, I've discussed plenty of other manga on here, just barely anything on stuff people are actively reading on here because most of it is random moe style manga which doesn't interest me and/or posts of reading stuff like Solanin for the first time ever.

Except I can just look at your search history and see nothing but a sea of brainless "Naruto sucks, Bleach sucks, One Piece was okay" posts.

Big One

Banned
Except I can just look at your search history and see nothing but a sea of brainless "Naruto sucks, Bleach sucks, One Piece was okay" posts.
And obviously this means I've never discussed other manga on here, obviously. All my thousands of posts I've posted on GAF alone is ALL about Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, right?

Nope, get over yourself. Everyone here has heard me talk of other manga on here, even you.

Angry Grimace

And obviously this means I've never discussed other manga on here, obviously. All my thousands of posts I've posted on GAF alone is ALL about Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, right?

Nope, get over yourself. Everyone here has heard me talk of other manga on here, even you.

No, seriously, try searching your own name in the thread. There aren't any posts on the entire first page of returned posts about anything other than One Piece, Naruto and Bleach and well beyond that.

You have three posts in the entire thread about non-Big three series. One of which is you saying, "hey I'm gonna read 7 seeds!" and then you didn't. Instead you read Mario, which is by an author you constantly complain about.

Big One

Banned
No, seriously, try searching your own name in the thread. There aren't any posts on the entire first page of returned posts about anything other than One Piece, Naruto and Bleach and well beyond that.

You have three posts in the entire thread about non-Big three series.
You're just being delusional here. I distinctly remember discussing Berserk, Shingeki no Kyojin (even before I first did those marathons of Bleach and Naruto), all three of the major Urasawa series, and random shonen and seinen manga on here.
One of which is you saying, "hey I'm gonna read 7 seeds!" and then you didn't.
Lolwat, I'm actually several volumes into that series. I haven't posted any impressions cause I'm not finished reading it.

Angry Grimace

You're just being delusional here. I distinctly remember discussing Berserk, Shingeki no Kyojin (even before I first did those marathons of Bleach and Naruto), all three of the major Urasawa series, and random shonen and seinen manga on here.

I do remember your post about how 20th Century Boys is perfect and how if you thought it had a dumb ending it was the reader's fault.

Angry Grimace

Ok? I remember that too. With the exception of the manga being perfect, which it definitely isn't.

All I'm saying is that its Super Interesting you don't have time to read and/or comment on anything but things you hate.

wonzo

Banned
oh sweet another pathetic slapfight over shit no-one cares about. just what i always want to see when i check up on this thread yessiree bob

Big One

Banned
All I'm saying is that its Super Interesting you don't have time to read and/or comment on anything but things you hate.

That's because I have pretty much only about 5% worth of my hobby time on actual manga. I really don't have any real or legitimate interest in manga anymore. Most of the time I'm simply not reading manga as much as I used to when I was a teenager.

So yes, most of the time, I read the Big Three every week and call it a day. I try picking up some other manga like the random 7Seeds read or even Fairy Tail which I've yet to complete, and I have very little time to devout to those two series unless my interests gears towards manga again.

Whatever negative vibes I give off on manga is less negative vibes I have to give to other things I'm interested in. And when two of the series you most actively keep up with are pretty much garbage you're going to have a negative perspective on things, period.

I love the vidya games, wrestling, card games, board games, music, and discussing nerdy shit on message boards; that's what I dedicate my time to nowadays when I have the free time. Manga is like a weekly thing I do and that's if I read the chapters (sometimes I delay till another or several weeks)

That doesn't mean I don't love going to this thread, I just rather discuss manga rather than actually reading it for the most part. That's my only interest, and most of the time it's related to the Big Three cause that's all I read nowadays.

The best posts in this thread are when people bring up something to discuss. I'm honestly sick and tired of this mentality that all you can post is manga impressions, cause I honestly think those aren't really worth reading (and this includes my own) for the most part because everyone's manga impressions are either only a couple of sentences long or this small paragraph venting what was good and bad about the chapter.

Angry Grimace

That's because I have pretty much only about 5% worth of my hobby time on actual manga. I really don't have any real or legitimate interest in manga anymore. Most of the time I'm simply not reading manga as much as I used to when I was a teenager.

So yes, most of the time, I read the Big Three every week and call it a day. I try picking up some other manga like the random 7Seeds read or even Fairy Tail which I've yet to complete, and I have very little time to devout to those two series unless my interests gears towards manga again.

Whatever negative vibes I give off on manga is less negative vibes I have to give to other things I'm interested in. And when two of the series you most actively keep up with are pretty much garbage you're going to have a negative perspective on things, period.

I love the vidya games, wrestling, card games, board games, music, and discussing nerdy shit on message boards; that's what I dedicate my time to nowadays when I have the free time. Manga is like a weekly thing I do and that's if I read the chapters (sometimes I delay till another or several weeks)

That doesn't mean I don't love going to this thread, I just rather discuss manga rather than actually reading it for the most part. That's my only interest, and most of the time it's related to the Big Three cause that's all I read nowadays.

The best posts in this thread are when people bring up something to discuss. I'm honestly sick and tired of this mentality that all you can post is manga impressions, cause I honestly think those aren't really worth reading (and this includes my own) for the most part because everyone's manga impressions are either only a couple of sentences long or this small paragraph venting what was good and bad about the chapter.

...Mario was pretty bad, wasn't it?

Apart from some posts on the days the three or four series come out, I think most people partake in at least a few "discussions" that are usually concurrently running on days not named Sunday morning - afternoon, and I guess monday mornings and afternoons. I dont think the most regular people here just post an impression and leave and the impressions on series in key genre get some discussion of impression or inquiry, I think. Some of the discussions have been pretty weird though...

dramatis

You know you guys are weird when DTL calls YOU weird.

I do like reading a good discussion or two, but participating seems out of the question since all the good discussions take place while I'm sleeping :(

survivor

Banned
Pupa vol 1
pupa4odo4.jpg

This isn't as dirty or smutty, or disgusting as I was led to believe given the few impressions I read and the whole cannibalism aspects. The romance story is absurd enough that it's funny so it makes the "eat my brother" scenes easier to handle. Plus some of the story aspects are interesting enough to explore, but the problem is I don't think the writer is capable of pulling it off. Nor do I think the story is heading to a promising direction. I will see what volume 2 offers, but I hope it will go more towards the psychological aspects of their relationship rather than just straight up action scenes or lame shock value horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom