• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the latest Fairy Tail.

Why exactly is the weight of the world on Natsu's shoulders again? Is it cause he's standing on a building?

He's the only character in the plot with his Nakama power boost meter maxed, meaning that he's the only one when it's Nakama time who is strong enough to do anything of merit.

7 Seeds 123

Seems like everyone except Summer B is heading to the same location, I guess we have to keep Hana and Arashi from meeting for as long as possible. Hana's reaction to "who is this Natsu" was pretty hysterical, and Arashi owning the shit out of Ango was also pretty satisfactory.

7 Seeds 123

Seems like everyone except Summer B is heading to the same location, I guess we have to keep Hana and Arashi from meeting for as long as possible. Hana's reaction to "who is this Natsu" was pretty hysterical, and Arashi owning the shit out of Ango was also pretty satisfactory.

I hope the two of them finally meeting isn't the end of the story. That would be pretty disappointing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
One Piece 700-latest
Just caught up to the latest chapter and man did I love the fast pace it was going on
Bellamy's alive? I thought Dolflamingo killed his ass.
...and os much for Luffy's disguise lol!
Also why didn't Oda romanize the name as Bartholomew?

You don't need spoiler tags in here after the chapter is fully released.

And its because we already have a Bartholomew:

od2C43Ql.png

Tizoc

You don't need spoiler tags in here after the chapter is fully released.

And its because we already have a Bartholomew:

...but everyone just calls that guy Kuma. Heck I bet my brothers and friends who watched the anime don't even know his full name is 'Batholomew Kuma' lol.

Yo Captain Tsubasa's big over here in Arabia...well was at least:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVyk9E7ZWkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIKBYMS1U4k

One Piece 700-latest
Just caught up to the latest chapter and man did I love the fast pace it was going on
Bellamy's alive? I thought Dolflamingo killed his ass.
...and os much for Luffy's disguise lol!
Also why didn't Oda romanize the name as Bartholomew?

As Grand Jedi said, the whole point of this thread is that we can post about anything spoiler free once it's been "released" in English. The only time you have to use spoilers are for raws (if you read or skim the Japanese version) or if you post a summary of the chapter before it's out.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
...but everyone just calls that guy Kuma. Heck I bet my brothers and friends who watched the anime don't even know his full name is 'Batholomew Kuma' lol.

Well Bartolomeo is a legit name of its own and a cognate of Bartholomew so I suppose the author went with it to make a distinction between the two. Its also possible that the character is based upon a real life Bartolomeo rather than the famous pirate Bartholomew.

Tizoc

Well Bartolomeo is a legit name of its own and a cognate of Bartholomew so I suppose the author went with it to make a distinction between the two. Its also possible that the character is based upon a real life Bartolomeo rather than the famous pirate Bartholomew.

Oh I didn't know Bartolomeo was an actual name, learned something new today haha.
Will try to avoid using the spoiler tags, it's a bit of on old habit of mine from an old forum ^_^;

Stinky

Ore monogatarai

Saw this on an imageboard, I know someone has posted about it positively here before (Survivor?) so I read it.

It was awesome, bro as fuck. I thought it was only four chapters because it seemed like it wrapped up perfectly but mangaupdates says its 3 volumes and ongoing.

Its Shoujo so I imagine the proceeding story arcs are filled with MISUNDERSTANDINGS and LOVE TRIANGLES.

The Golgo lookalike is the MC

Theonik

Secret Dog God Kokoko-chan
Holy shit at that ending, I was starting to suspect something going on but still. It was pretty well delivered too.

Kurita

Need to read Ore Monogatari at some point. It was one of the manga nominated for the Taisho Award.
IIRC it finished 2nd? I'm not sure.

I saw it along with Umimachi Diary, Ballroom e Yōkoso and all the nominees at my Japanese library a few days ago.

survivor

Banned
Ore monogatarai

Saw this on an imageboard, I know someone has posted about it positively here before (Survivor?) so I read it.

It was awesome, bro as fuck. I thought it was only four chapters because it seemed like it wrapped up perfectly but mangaupdates says its 3 volumes and ongoing.

Its Shoujo so I imagine the proceeding story arcs are filled with MISUNDERSTANDINGS and LOVE TRIANGLES.

The Golgo lookalike is the MC

It was a very strong first volume, and like you said, it could have concluded the story quite nicely seeing how their relationship drama isn't that important. But who knows, maybe Kazune Kawahara is handling the story well. High School Debut wasn't that stupid, it had a lot of dumb story developments, but compared to the other shoujo shit, they were tolerable.

Need to read Ore Monogatari at some point. It was one of the manga nominated for the Taisho Award.
IIRC it finished 2nd?
It finished 5th, A Bride's Story came second.

wonzo

Banned
Just tell me dogs don't die in it and I will read it.
The dog is fine,
it even has plenty of kids!

You know, you could probably do a pretty interesting analysis of the decision the author makes to combine stories about childhood friendship with surreal body transformation sex scenes. If it were me, I'd make a connection between the metamorphosis we all go through, puberty, and the transformations that Horihone's characters undergo. It won't be me, though, because EWW ICK GROSS, amirite?
Yeah, there's a ton of really interesting themes running throughout Horohine's works. There was one chapter in this
involving a teacher that wanted to go back to her childhood. Because of this wish, she ends up turning into a pillbug hybrid that can roll herself into a protective ball, symbolic of her retreat from reality.
Good stuff.

Wiseblade

Yamada and the 7 boring plot twists 58

So I guess that's why Miyamura wanted to be School President, to use the position's power to track down the seventh witch. It's still a dull plot twist, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yamada and the 7 boring plot twists 58

So I guess that's why Miyamura wanted to be Scool President, to use the position's power to track down the seventh witch. It's still a dull plot twist, though.

What are the odds that its the last witch that he's all angry at amirite?

I was hoping the 7th Witches power was like gender-bending and Miyamura was the witch :lol

Stinky

I've been frustrated at the lack of english Pheonix before as well.

Try something like Buddha or Black Jack instead, they both have really great print versions and scanlations are available as well.

Havent started reading Pheonix yet but apparently each volume is standalone. You can get volume 2 and 3 on amazon and bookdepository.

EDIT: Link works now, get on that if its legit. Too bad its Canada and US only.

Bossun

Nanatsu no taizai

I think it's becoming one of my favorite current manga.
All the characters are just awesome. The fight are crazy, the universe is very good too.

The pace seems to go a bit fast, I want it to be a long serie...

AYS

Neo Member
7 seeds

Hibari being a little shit was the only bad thing about the chapter. I'm hoping that all the groups don't meet up soon because the multiple perspectives gives more possibilities for world expansion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But it would have triggered ages ago given Yamada and Miyamura's makeout sessions.

I forgot about that. Still think its kind of dumb. Why doesn't he just grow a pair and go tell Shiraishi not to accept being the secretary? It didn't seem like Miyamura was being serious when he said you couldn't accept. Even then, this is a pretty high level Absurdly Powerful Student Council.

Attack On Titan 1-4

This series pulls no punches early, I don't really hate Eren as a protagonist as I've seen some people say, the only thing is it's hard to tell who some of the named characters are meaning when they get eaten I don't really feel upset about it. I thought most of the titan's looked more like the gigantic one I'm surprised to see how human they look. Sadly I already know about the whole "EVERYONE IS A TITAN" shenanigans that pop up later though I'm not sure how we get to that point.

survivor

Banned
Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai vol 3
tennai_v3_coverlfu0g.jpg

The whole Masashi-Maki conflict was handled much better than I expected. I was fearing a barrage of misunderstandings, but instead got something more well grounded. Akira liking his teacher, Maki was obvious, but it's not hindering his relation with Midori yet. Going by the end of the volume, we just hit our first dumb misunderstanding of the story which is really disappointing. I mean I really don't see any reason for Midori to be jealous or get suspicious of Akira, he made it pretty obvious that he cares about her. Also I don't like this Ken person and whatever his future purpose will be. He came out of nowhere and I'm sure he is just there for more misunderstandings between Midori and Akira.

The dilemma involving Masashi and Maki was quite refreshing. Do you abandon your dreams and goals and stick with your love, or on the flipside for Maki, can she abandon her career and life just to chase after Masashi. Despite the fact the manga portrayed Masashi as a saint who saved Akira in the past and everyone loves him, I still found him to be an asshole and quite selfish. I really wanted a full chapter dedicated to him and Maki figuring out their situation and problems rather than just showing their decision without the process.

There is also the whole Shino deal and the little love triangle involving her. The story hasn't really focused on her outside of couple panels just to show how unstable her relationship is, but I trust in Yazawa to deliver something good. Also, I'm finding Midori's faces more funny than they should be.

Attack On Titan Volume 2

I was really enjoying a series that had the balls to kill off it's main protagonist in the first few chapters and shift the main character over to his sister... sadly I was trolled hard.

Gonna marathon 7 seed from where i left off when my finals are finished next week.
Please post your impressions!
7 seeds

Hibari being a little shit was the only bad thing about the chapter. I'm hoping that all the groups don't meet up soon because the multiple perspectives gives more possibilities for world expansion.
I thought Hibari screwing with Hana was hilarious. Usually I can't stand her, but I thought that moment was really funny.

Naruto 628 (reread)

I think this definitely had the highlight point of the arc for Naruto for me. The whole moment there with Naruto getting all emotional in the moment and even planting his hand on his heart describing why he is willing to go all the distance to protect his comrades and such is just really moving and memorable.

World Trigger 12
tumblr_inline_mm10vlDH0g1qz4rgp.png

Bicycle scene was hilarious and there were like six back to back panels of Yuma Kuga faces in it, lol. Its almost like there is a quota to fill each chapter. I love them. Anyway, Osamu ftw, B-rank is awesome and I want an Asteroid.

I have to confess something........ I can't read Attack On Titan no matter how many attempts

Yeah it's gotten pretty stupid

Attack on Titan Volume 3

So Eren is now a super hero who can shape shift into a Titan. I get that human's need to "even the odds" against the Titan's but this plot point is so stupid it annoys me. Like the reveal of the Red Man in DML I feel this plot point should have happened much later in the story if the story has to have it.

I know it's been posted again but can someone link me to the guy's post who guessed all of the Attack on Titan big twist like a year before it was officially revealed? I kind of want to check it out once I've caught up.

Attack on Titan Volume 4

Hey guys I have a great idea, let's establish our main character has the power to turn into a Titan. After that let's have an entire volume of a flash back to him learning to fight as a human and establish the supporting cast... just to have half of them dead in the present.

One Punch Man 15

Finally, so glad for Genos. They can finally take it to the next level, though I dont think he was going to leave anyway. Sonic was a good tease but I still want all three to fight together or even each other at one point.

Anyone reading both this and Boon's OPM releases who can draw a comparison? I'm curious.

For ch15, A super texty side by side of both (viz - left, other - right)

Azure J

I know it's been posted again but can someone link me to the guy's post who guessed all of the Attack on Titan big twist like a year before it was officially revealed? I kind of want to check it out once I've caught up.

Yea, I kinda want to see this now that I'm caught up as well.

Yeah it's gotten pretty stupid
Yeeeeaaah ... I'm watching the anime and got a bit too nosey about the main character
(I REALLY thought he was gonna just die in the current anime attack and the "group" would just be the the focus moving forward, using his death and speech as motivation ... wanted to know if I was right or not) . Googled Eren's name and the pics spoiled me. Folded and read even more spoilers and now I'm just indifferent to this story.

That's just ... strange and ... ehhh. :/

Cross Manage 31

Maybe if KAITO hadnt been a bit late in getting to the game then the series would be a bit better. The page spreads never fail to impress, IMO, and the players have decent strenghts, Jun really worked wonders with the team with the defenses and that long range pass.

Attack on Titan Volume 5

Things were starting to move back in a good direction... until the last few pages when another Eren like female Titan appeared and began to wreck stuff meaning that Eren will have to transform to fight her off.

Yeeeeaaah ... I'm watching the anime and got a bit too nosey about the main character
(I REALLY thought he was gonna just die in the current anime attack and the "group" would just be the the focus moving forward, using his death and speech as motivation ... wanted to know if I was right or not) . Googled Eren's name and the pics spoiled me. Folded and read even more spoilers and now I'm just indifferent to this story.

That's just ... strange and ... ehhh. :/

Yeah I had a similar situation, the characters kept mentioning an armored titan that I didn't remember at all (honestly I still don't remember) so I google searched armored titan to try and figure out when it appeared, and got a wiki link to the name of a certain character that was like "HERP A DERP SPOILERS!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom