• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait so Shingeki No Kyojin sucks?

It has issues that's for sure. After the first attack of the titans we time skip to our hero being a soldier and ready to fight back. After his first major battle (where he gets dues ex machina powers) the series flashes back for 4 chapters (aka 4 months) to him training to be a soldier training the series made irrelevant for our protagonist because he has dues ex machina powers.

Also the more I think about it the more issues I have, the titans break in because a 60 foot tall Titan breaks down the outer most wall. 5 years pass and in that time you don't reinforce the second wall and make it much higher so the same thing can't happen again?

When the series focuses on the struggle of tiny humans against monstrous titans, how fragile the lives of humans are, and the psychological toll of fighting these demons it's great. It's when the series throws out any semblance of being grounded in reality and characters start getting magic powers for no reason that it starts to suck.

Also to people calling me out for being a hater, I put monster on hold to marathon this because I was excited and wanted to check out the anime (which ill still do). I don't hate the premise of the Eren's powers, I hate how early it's revealed in the plot and how Eren just magically is able to know how to activate his powers. There are quiet a few ways the plot could have handled this point and made it work well.

Dundar

Blade of the Immortal 205
Also can't believe that they're still keeping anotsu alive. Goddamn.

the scene has been left vague on purpose. You want to think he's still alive, you can. You want to think he's dead, you can. Besides, that's unimportant the point the manga is trying to convey. He could die (if not dead already) during the sea traversal from blood loss. Or infection. Of whatever.
Rin's reasons for revenge actually go beyond the mere "kill Anotsu" mission, at this point. She had to try and kill him to finally be able to let go of the cycle of hatred and regret, which would reemerge one day if Anotsu's wishes passed down on his sons. She avoided him turning the same as his grandfather. Hyakurin words at the end echo with this, saying that while children/parents relationship is the strongest of bonds, it may be considered a curse, but it is not necessarily so.
Renzo's role in this is similar to Rin's, and she knows it. I think it's a very realistic take on the matter of revenge. Nothing is ever really easy, not always there's a clean cut solution to satisfy every men's will. Especially in a manga where you found yourself cheering for the opponents, at times.
1 chap left. Outstanding manga.

Fairy Tail

What a nice surprise. But wasn't Natsu dying the other week?

At least Lucy locked the door and we get Dragon vs Dragon Slayer action.

Natsu should fight the fire dragon lol.

Also Sting and Raios are pieces of shit, killing dragons my ass.

Rouge continues to be the worst villain Mashima has introduced since a long time.

Good to hear that Acnologia is still a badass ruling the entire world as 1 dragon killing most of future Fairy Tail and the guilds.

Wiseblade

It has issues that's for sure. After the first attack of the titans we time skip to our hero being a soldier and ready to fight back. After his first major battle (where he gets dues ex machina powers) the series flashes back for 4 chapters (aka 4 months) to him training to be a soldier training the series made irrelevant for our protagonist because he has dues ex machina powers.

Also the more I think about it the more issues I have, the titans break in because a 60 foot tall Titan breaks down the outer most wall. 5 years pass and in that time you don't reinforce the second wall and make it much higher so the same thing can't happen again?

When the series focuses on the struggle of tiny humans against monstrous titans, how fragile the lives of humans are, and the psychological toll of fighting these demons it's great. It's when the series throws out any semblance of being grounded in reality and characters start getting magic powers for no reason that it starts to suck.

Also to people calling me out for being a hater, I put monster on hold to marathon this because I was excited and wanted to check out the anime (which ill still do). I don't hate the premise of the Eren's powers, I hate how early it's revealed in the plot and how Eren just magically is able to know how to activate his powers. There are quiet a few ways the plot could have handled this point and made it work well.
I hate the way the story flutters about too. Probably my biggest issue with the whole thing. It reads like the author has spent FOREVER plotting the series, but never really thought about how to present it to an audience. The anime's chronological approach is definitely more tolerable and portrays the 3D manoeuvre gear better than the manga's long shots do.

I hate the way the story flutters about too. Probably my biggest issue with the whole thing. It reads like the author has spent FOREVER plotting the series, but never really thought about how to present it to an audience. The anime's chronological approach is definitely more tolerable and portrays the 3D manoeuvre gear better than the manga's long shots do.

Exactly, I'm glad to hear the anime does it chronologically should make the second Titan attack way better.

Well, it's not like he jumped over it.

Well no, but you think they'd make the walls thicker if we established that there is infact a Titan strong enough to break the wall. Also that's another hole in the plot, it's established Titans are very light weight to support their massive bodies as if they had scaled up human weight theyd be crushed by gravity. Despite this the much bigger colossal Titan somehow is magically strong enough to break the wall without being crushed under his own weight. I wouldn't care if the series simply ignored physics like most series do, either ignore it or give another way the colossal Titan could have let the hordes in

Wiseblade

Well no, but you think they'd make the walls thicker if we established that there is infact a Titan strong enough to break the wall. Also that's another hole in the plot, it's established Titans are very light weight to support their massive bodies as if they had scaled up human weight theyd be crushed by gravity. Despite this the much bigger colossal Titan somehow is magically strong enough to break the wall without being crushed under his own weight. I wouldn't care if the series simply ignored physics like most series do, either ignore it or give another way the colossal Titan could have let the hordes in

Was the cult not introduced by volume 5? Because there's a cult that worship the walls as gods and won't let any modification work take place on them. For some reason they're absurdly influential.

Erigu

Well no, but you think they'd make the walls thicker if we established that there is infact a Titan strong enough to break the wall.
The gates, anyway.
Then again, they do have those religious nuts who don't want anybody touching the walls. They even had trouble setting some cannons up there.

it's established Titans are very light weight to support their massive bodies as if they had scaled up human weight theyd be crushed by gravity. Despite this the much bigger colossal Titan somehow is magically strong enough to break the wall without being crushed under his own weight.
They mention in the same scene that it does seem to go against their understanding of physics.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't get how being lightweight would prevent them from being crushed by gravity.

Or to put it another way, why being heavy would mean that they are crushed by gravity.

Was the cult not introduced by volume 5? Because there's a cult that worship the walls as gods and won't let any modification work take place on them. For some reason they're absurdly influential.

They were introduced, but I know very little about the influence or power they have. I guess that explains the problem... In a retarded kind of way.

Antiwhippy

Huh, alright. So the more mass you have the more substance you need proportionally to support it is basically the gist of it?

But yeah, then it doesn't make sense that the colossal giant would have enough mass and power to kick a hole in the wall.

I completely missed that giants are lightweight explanation btw. What chapter was it brought up?

Articalys

OwixT3W.jpg

I'm so glad you found this lol

Huh, alright. So the more mass you have the more substance you need proportionally to support it is basically the gist of it?

But yeah, then it doesn't make sense that the colossal giant would have enough mass and power to kick a hole in the wall.

I completely missed that giants are lightweight explanation btw. What chapter was it brought up?

I can't remember the exact number but it's in the early 20's when Eren meets the scientist chick who has a fetish obsession with the Titans. She shows herself in a panel holding a gigantic hand and tossing it in the air like it's made of Styrofoam.

Fairy Tail

I'm more impressed Natsu remembered about Cobra and we finally get an explanation of why Future Rogue is doing everything. Next week I guess we'll see how the 7 dragon slayers pair off against the 7 dragons should be pretty exciting to watch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fairy Tail

Surprisingly not awful this week. We don't really need a Cobra heel-face, though, but whatever.

Attack on Titan Volume 6

Color me impressed they actually used human ingenuity to take down the female titan and not just Eren going ultraman and rockem sockem robots fighting her. Again the series needs to stop jumping in the timeline so much makes it hard to follow the plot.

Soul Cartel 67 - 68

Mephisto's dance always makes me laugh.
Good developments all around though its so fast to scroll through this sometimes, so few words then all of a sudden, massive wall of txt.

Antiwhippy

I just don't like how they use flashbacks to communicate
"Hey, here's why everyone on the team are suspecting those two guys to be titans!"

Which just plays a part in my dislike of how that situation was executed.

Attack on Titan Volume 7

Open mouth, stick foot in, of course the femTitan would escape and Eren would have to fight her. The series also has some wackiness in terms of what message it's trying to send, at first Eren discovers he was right to trust his allies instead of attacking because they laid a trap... then later he makes the same decision and sees all of them die. Just makes Eren out to be incompetent. Got to save Rivaille is a bad ass and rivals Misaka for best character in the story.

Blackhead

Redarse
One Piece 700-latest
Just caught up to the latest chapter and man did I love the fast pace it was going on
Bellamy's alive? I thought Dolflamingo killed his ass.
...and os much for Luffy's disguise lol!
Also why didn't Oda romanize the name as Bartholomew?

fast pace?! only because you marathoned the chapters :/

Game Over

Found another manga that focuses on one of my weaknesses, the older female/younger male relationship. Written by the same person who wrote Lonely Wolf, Lonely Sheep, and just like that manga, it's way too short. :(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Attack on Titan Volume 7

Open mouth, stick foot in, of course the femTitan would escape and Eren would have to fight her. The series also has some wackiness in terms of what message it's trying to send, at first Eren discovers he was right to trust his allies instead of attacking because they laid a trap... then later he makes the same decision and sees all of them die. Just makes Eren out to be incompetent. Got to save Rivaille is a bad ass and rivals Misaka for best character in the story.

Is he supposed to be extra competent?

Is he supposed to be extra competent?

Not really, he's supposed to be slightly above the average soldier.

What Kurita said, Misaka is the super competent one. It just seems like Eren's personality and abilites seem to fluctuate from him being awesome to him being terrible with hidden potential to be awesome to him being overly decisive to him being completely indecisive based upon whatever is convenient for that scene in the manga.

dramatis

Don't the average soldiers get killed all of the time
Well, if Eren hadn't been a Titan-human hybrid, he would have died in the first battle after graduation, even though he was in the top ten of his class. Eren's chief use to the military is his Titan form. Even the instructor considers Eren not particularly outstanding in any respect other than his drive.

I wonder if there is supposed to be a high expectation of competence from a rookie soldier fresh from training.

Shingeki no Kyojin Volume 8

They made it pretty obvious that Annie was going to be the female titan from the moment she first reappeared in the military police building. I feel like this twist would have had more impact on me if Annie had played a much larger role in the plot up to this point as opposed to being in a flash back chapter and the "choose where you want to go" chapter. Her turning into a crystal to avoid being captured seems odd but I guess we can roll with it. Titans in the walls is "LOL WUT" worthy not sure what that'll mean as events play out.

I read through all the chapters this past weekend, and the main point about Eren I took is that he seems basically useless. So far, the only things he's really accomplished have been shielding from the cannon ball and plugging the hole.

Antiwhippy

I read through all the chapters this past weekend, and the main point about Eren I took is that he seems basically useless. So far, the only things he's really accomplished have been shielding from the cannon ball and plugging the hole.

Which did stop humanity from being wiped out by the titans for awhile, to be fair.

7Th

c53f4f3b8e2060be58bdcaa8a47ba4211341693662_full.jpg

If fighting Titans is so dangerous and other than Mikasa (and the shifters) everyone in their squad is slightly above average at best how come every single named character is still alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom