• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Weekly Oricon Sales Top 50 April 29th ~ May 5th
02. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu #4 (341,407)
05. Haikyuu!! #6 (148,982)
34. Sakamoto Desuga? #1 (38,902 / 560,499)

Thanks for posting these.
Wow at the Haikyuu!! sales! If I'm not mistaken it's a new record for the series when it comes to first week sales.

AssClass sales are not suprising :lol
And Sakamoto... Man, it never stops, it's just ridiculous!

I assume all SnK volumes will reach the million soon...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Weekly Oricon Sales Top 50 April 29th ~ May 5th

01. Kuroko no Basket #22 (406,745)
02. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu #4 (341,407)
03. Toriko #24 (214,443)
04. Gintama #49 (197,973)
05. Haikyuu!! #6 (148,982)
06. Aoharide #7 (129,699 / 363,073)
07. Beelzebub #21 (104,503)
08. Vagabond #35 (86,049 / 364,020)
09. Shingeki no Kyojin #10 (85,379 / 728,195)
10. Ohkiku Furikabutte #21 (80,494 / 305,775)
11. Vampire Knight #18 (60,720)

Wow at Kuroko and AssClass. They're killing it.
Poor Toriko... Shueisha wants you to be big but people prefer basketball and tentacle monsters instead. Even though 214k is still pretty good considering...
Good on Attack on Titan for doing so well. That anime boost is helping.

Also, why is Vampire Knight popular?

Aizo

Banned
....You do realize that she pretty much lost a lot of her power when she had her life saved, right?

I suppose we see Kubo's writing quite differently. You may see his changes to past characters as insightful or development into their histories, but I see it as something that he made up last week to keep his series going. For example,
Aizen's spiel about planning out Ichigo's whole life, Ichigo's martyrdom which is ruined by continuing the series and giving his powers back. I guess that's when I started despising Bleach. I really would have liked it ending after he loses his powers to defeat Aizen. It's cliche, but not awful.
I mean, if you like Kubo's writing, then it's just a difference of opinion. I think the series is full of plot holes, awful character development, and extremely contrived plot devices.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Shinya Shokudou
mpLDPeI.jpg

Don't expect much action or anything from this manga, it's exactly what the summary says.
And you know what? It's surprisingly touching and heartwarming, I was really moved by some situations.
All we do is hearing the patrons' stories, talking about their lives, states of mind as they eat their favorite dishes.
It's captivating despite the art, I read all the chapters available in one sitting.
It's as if you were in the restaurant, with people eating, the owner smoking his cigarette while listening carefully to them... You just feel like all these characters are your buddies.
Genuine people speaking their minds, interacting with each other... This is great.

Sounds like bartender. I'll give it a look.

Do any of you read much Josei or Seinen? Any recommendations for lesser known, quality series? I read Berserk, Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Billy Bat, Oyasumi Pun Pun, I Am a Hero, and Zetman, but something thoughtful and less actiony would be nice. Preferably, but not limited to, great Josei stuff 'cause I don't read much of that.

Zyklus;Code
Shintetsu no Agartha
Metamorcode
JOKE:ЯR'S
Neon Dimension Ascension

Antiwhippy

ColossalLazy,
I'm a big fan of horror manga, and have heard of this. Is it quality in the realm of horror?

7 seeds isn't really horror, it's more of a psychological thriller and survivalist story.

If you want horror though check out some junji Ito stuff like uzumaki.

Aizo

Banned
4 chapters are enough to make pairings and fanarts!

Series creating such a fanbase so early on are precisely the ones I'm disinterested in. I want nice, believable characters that develop with an interesting plot or setting. I've had enough of the boring, otaku-pandering series :( I don't find Shounen or Shoujo series that I like too often anymore.

Aizo

Banned
7 seeds isn't really horror, it's more of a psychological thriller and survivalist story.

If you want horror though check out some junji Ito stuff like uzumaki.

I'm actually proud to say that I'm only a few volumes away from reading every series he has published. As I said, big horror manga fan. I'll likely still check out 7 Seeds one day.

Lain

Jojolion vol 1
X8o.jpg

My main reaction is kinda... what? What is it that I read? This first volume is really weird. Amnesiac protagonist has an interesting power, but how did he get into that predicament?
The girl that finds him is a weirdo, but a cute one. Her friend that tries to murder him is batshit insane instead.

Antiwhippy

I'm actually proud to say that I'm only a few volumes away from reading every series he has published. As I said, big horror manga fan. I'll likely still check out 7 Seeds one day.

Definitely worth a read. It's classified as shoujo but the themes it explores is very mature. Certainly the best post apocalypse manga I've read.

I'll also throw in these recommendations:

Yokohama kaidashi kiko
Kabul no isaki

I suppose we see Kubo's writing quite differently. You may see his changes to past characters as insightful or development into their histories, but I see it as something that he made up last week to keep his series going. For example,
Aizen's spiel about planning out Ichigo's whole life, Ichigo's martyrdom which is ruined by continuing the series and giving his powers back. I guess that's when I started despising Bleach. I really would have liked it ending after he loses his powers to defeat Aizen. It's cliche, but not awful.
I mean, if you like Kubo's writing, then it's just a difference of opinion. I think the series is full of plot holes, awful character development, and extremely contrived plot devices.

tumblr_lsisgfOyE81qhwi0t.gif

Akito

Do any of you read much Josei or Seinen? Any recommendations for lesser known, quality series? I read Berserk, Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Billy Bat, Oyasumi Pun Pun, I Am a Hero, and Zetman, but something thoughtful and less actiony would be nice. Preferably, but not limited to, great Josei stuff 'cause I don't read much of that.
Masturbation Master Kurosawa
Molester Man
Honey & Clover
Hideout
Mushishi
Natsu no Zenjitsu
NHK ni Youkoso!
Pluto
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Memories of Emanon & Wandering Emanon
Homunculus

Those were not mentioned yet I think.

Wow at Kuroko and AssClass. They're killing it.
Poor Toriko... Shueisha wants you to be big but people prefer basketball and tentacle monsters instead. Even though 214k is still pretty good considering...
Good on Attack on Titan for doing so well. That anime boost is helping.

Also, why is Vampire Knight popular?

Isnt Vampire Knight ending this month. I need to read it, everytime I see the anime commercial of the character designs, really look amazing.

Anyway Toriko may find itself struggling to even make the top 11 manga series/better than 2012 in JPN this year at this rate, I wonder if Haikyuu!! could find itself on the top 30 chart...

People who did Magi must be distressed that the series didnt find such strong and long lasting sales as Attack on Titan did and is continuing. Hope it translates to bd/dvd sales.

Psyren v 10 (81 - 89)

The inner selves addition to the plot is intriguing but I wish it was explored more here, guess Ill have to wait another month to see how this affects Oboro, Kabuto, and Amamiya (hers seems not good, and her memories...). Most interested in the mists covering the psyren world and Ouroboros and how these things will all tie together past and present. I hope all of my concerns are addressed in the mangas limited time :/

Bonus story of the underwear was hilarious.

Dresden

Flower of Evil ch.45 spoilers:

Having made his confession of love, Kasuga puts out a hand to a Tokiwa and says "Tokiwa, come over here. Live with me. I'll kill your ghost. Step off of this road you're on. I love you." Kouji tells him to get a fucking grip and and Tokiwa says she's can't date Kouji anymore. Hearing this, Kouji grabs her by the shoulders. Tokiwa's tears start welling up and flow down her cheeks. She starts getting ready to leave, tells her manager that she's quitting with a bowed head, and breaks up with Kouji. She walks out of the store with Kasuga.

They silently stroll through the town. Soon after, they stop a street crossing and hold hands. They get a dumb happy look on their faces and start giggling, then just embrace eachother. Kasuga remarks on her warmth, while Tokiwa gives a small chuckle and playfully hits him.

The final page shows a trampled flower (the flower of evil) upon the ground.

http://i.imgur.com/3CiQ8T4.jpg

---

About what I expected, now for the one-two punch of seeing
Nakamura rehabilitated into society.

Are we talking artistic (hah!) failure or financial failure?
A, ofc.

survivor

Banned
Isnt Vampire Knight ending this month. I need to read it, everytime I see the anime commercial of the character designs, really look amazing.

Anyway Toriko may find itself struggling to even make the top 11 manga series/better than 2012 in JPN this year at this rate, I wonder if Haikyuu!! could find itself on the top 30 chart...

People who did Magi must be distressed that the series didnt find such strong and long lasting sales as Attack on Titan did and is continuing. Hope it translates to bd/dvd sales.

Well, the cutoff number for 2012 was 1.6 millions. If Haikyuu is 5 volumes for 2013 then it might be doable with a little boost. Maybe the anime announcement?

Aizo

Banned
Masturbation Master Kurosawa
Molester Man
Honey & Clover
Hideout
Mushishi
Natsu no Zenjitsu
NHK ni Youkoso!
Pluto
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Memories of Emanon & Wandering Emanon
Homunculus

Those were not mentioned yet I think.

I really liked Chikan Otoko, Hideout, NHK, and Homonculus. I own half of Pluto, so I should really start reading that.. I've enjoyed Urasawa's other stuff. I'm completely unfamiliar with Natsu no Zenjitsu and Memories of Emanon, but I plan to read the others you mentioned. I really agree with your tastes!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Having made his confession of love, Kasuga puts out a hand to a Tokiwa and says "Tokiwa, come over here. Live with me. I'll kill your ghost. Step off of this road you're on. I love you." Kouji tells him to get a fucking grip and and Tokiwa says she's can't date Kouji anymore. Hearing this, Kouji grabs her by the shoulders. Tokiwa's tears start welling up and flow down her cheeks. She starts getting ready to leave, tells her manager that she's quitting with a bowed head, and breaks up with Kouji. She walks out of the store with Kasuga.

They silently stroll through the town. Soon after, they stop a street crossing and hold hands. They get a dumb happy look on their faces and start giggling, then just embrace eachother. Kasuga remarks on her warmth, while Tokiwa gives a small chuckle and playfully hits him.

I thought this was a joke post until I saw the image.

What in almighty fuck?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

At least a portion of this was absolutely set up much earlier on. The very first time we see Isshin as a soul reaper, right after the Soul Society arc, all of his interactions with Urahara (and later Ryuuken) forecast the events of this flashback to the letter.

The promise to tell Ichigo what "really killed his mother" doesn't necessarily imply a total tossing away of events. It promises to flesh out an event that was NEVER totally clear. Ichigo ran after Grand Fisher's lure, some "stuff happened" where he passed out, then he woke up and his mom was laying on him dead. This was never a complete tale of what happened, it was always something we needed to learn more about. Grand Fisher saying "lol I did it" is not a complete tale. Now we're gonna learn the full of it. That's not a retcon for christ's sake.

Kurita

Well, the cutoff number for 2012 was 1.6 millions. If Haikyuu is 5 volumes for 2013 then it might be doable with a little boost. Maybe the anime announcement?
I wonder when the anime will officially be announced... We know it's happening so I hope we'll have more information soon, looking forward to it.

Brickhunt

Why do we assume that Masaki's soul is still out there? I thought the fact that Ichigo has the hollow from Masaki's soul that she sacrificed herself completely thus just giving him everything she had. He never actually saw her die, I thought he just blacked out and then woke up and she was gonezo.

fake edit: Does this mean the daughters have powers too? Beyond just sensing spiritual stuff. Or is it a case of "ohhh only one person in the family inherited the uber-power" and everyone else is just kind of has tertiary powers.
His sister are likely to be "just" Shinigami/Quincy hybrids. Them being also Hollow would depend if Ichigo received all Hollow reiatsu while on the womb or not. Considering that Isshin recovered his powers, but only Ichigo manifested his hollow. I do say they are safe. I wouldn't be surprised if Yhwach kidnap his "daughters" to recruit them into the Vandenreich.

And LOL at Kubo retcon Masaki's death. His writing has many flaws, but so far this flashback has been very consistent. It's very likely Masaki lost her powers, and if not, Grand Fisher said he didn't remember killing Masaki and Ichigo lost consciousness before her death. She could easily had been killed by the Vandenreich or another party instead and Grand Fisher being the scape goat.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
And LOL at Kubo retcon Masaki's death. His writing has many flaws, but so far this flashback has been very consistent. It's very likely Masaki lost her powers, and if not, Grand Fisher said he didn't remember killing Masaki and Ichigo lost consciousness before her death. She could easily had been killed by the Vandenreich or another party instead and Grand Fisher being the scape goat.

Yea I was just lookin at this part. Grand Fisher at no point actually takes credit. Ichigo just assumes it was him, since the lure was there. Urahara does ask Isshin how his "revenge" went after killing Fisher, though, so I bet he's still involved in the original event somehow.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's just set up for the eventual disaster.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

---

A, ofc.
Man, he's gonna have some splainin' to do about his past

Its like setting up bowling pins for the Nakamura ball

Stinky

Yea I was just lookin at this part. Grand Fisher at no point actually takes credit. Ichigo just assumes it was him, since the lure was there. Urahara does ask Isshin how his "revenge" went after killing Fisher, though, so I bet he's still involved in the original event somehow.

Sometimes I feel you guys remember the details better than Kubo does.

Aizo

Banned
Sometimes I feel you guys remember the details better than Kubo does.

This does seem to be the case. I may as well ask more questions since some of you may be able to explain.
How is it that Ichigo's sisters don't have the powers that Ichigo does? He's just special?
I still don't think I'll ever see the better opportunity for Bleach ending than after the Aizen arc
I really dislike that Ichigo played the martry by giving up his powers only to get new ones, and eventually his old ones back. It takes all the weight from his decision away.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This does seem to be the case. I may as well ask more questions since some of you may be able to explain.
How is it that Ichigo's sisters don't have the powers that Ichigo does? He's just special?
I still don't think I'll ever see the better opportunity for Bleach ending than after the Aizen arc
I really dislike that Ichigo played the martry by giving up his powers only to get new ones, and eventually his old ones back. It takes all the weight from his decision away.

Well power-wise, it might be as simple as age. Karin grew into being able to see everything clearly over the timeskip, when I think it was hazier before it. As for the actual soul reaper powers, though, he only got those after stealing Rukia's, and then later after Urahara's whole extravaganza. The girls certainly haven't been through any of that.

As for the hollow powers... we'll see? Maybe they all transferred to Ichigo when he was born, or maybe he got that hollow during the mysterious events that transpired around Masaki's death.

Like Phoenician_Viking posted earlier, though, Kubo's lookin at his old chapters just like we are. See: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57150240&postcount=15140

Brickhunt

Besides Hollow powers, that I find likely that only Ichigo posses for being the first born, His powers awakened when he met Rukia, and he was a 15 year old at that point. His sister have just entered junior school, so if anything, Kubo was inconsistent (but not actually) by having Karin already be close to Urahara and possibly be introduced to Hollow combat.

And there was no way Kubo could have ended Bleach at Aizen's arc. He set too much cliffhangers at that point. From the Royal Guard and the King, to Isshin's past, the bodies Mayuri found at Syzariel's lab. The problem is that Aizen arc wasn't meant to last that long.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Besides Hollow powers, that I find likely that only Ichigo posses for being the first born, His powers awakened when he met Rukia, and he was a 15 year old at that point. His sister have just entered junior school, so if anything, Kubo was inconsistent (but not actually) by having Karin already be close to Urahara and possibly be introduced to Hollow combat.

And there was no way Kubo could have ended Bleach at Aizen's arc. He set too much cliffhangers at that point. From the Royal Guard and the King, to Isshin's past, the bodies Mayuri found at Syzariel's lab. The problem is that Aizen arc wasn't meant to last that long.

It would have taken a small rewrite, but he could have ended it there.

Kusagari

---

A, ofc.

The Nakamura is coming. The Nakamura is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom