• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Toriko

Shit getting even more real. Finally getting to see the dark chef making a move.

Also man, not a fan of how fast they're moving. It feels like the pace is going at a billion miles per hour.

Village

One more question. This one a bit more...company oriented.

Does Jump have anything big at the moment besides the big mangas. I know they are trying toriko, but do they have anything else. I do not see toriko working that well outside of japan is all. Do they have anything? what is going to be the next big thing , that all the chullins gonna watch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Does Jump have anything big at the moment besides the big mangas. I know they are trying toriko, but do they have anything else. I do not see toriko working that well outside of japan is all. Do they have anything? what is going to be the next big thing , that all the chullins gonna watch.

No one really knows until it happens. They've got three new manga releasing in a few weeks, but none of them sound like they'll hit it huge. Never know though.

Kusagari

The biggest recent non-Toriko series are Kuroko's Basketball and Assassination Classroom, actually both are more popular than Toriko anyway in Japan.

Village

No one really knows until it happens. They've got three new manga releasing in a few weeks, but none of them sound like they'll hit it huge. Never know though.

I suppose for outside distribution it is going to be tough. The stable american distribution system that was cartoon network toonami is gone. Where stuff was a bit too violent for the day , but not bad enough for AS. I suppouse the more seedier stuff can go on adult swim , and if it works like bleach it will do well.

But where do the naruto's go nowadays, where do those fit in.

Is there a new place the kiddies watch their anime, and yes I know the internet. But T.V seems to be a very effective exposure method/

The biggest recent non-Toriko series are Kuroko's Basketball and Assassination Classroom, actually both are more popular than Toriko anyway in Japan.

Hmm i see. Any good?

KingJ2002

Bleach:

I knew that there was going to have to be two TBTP style arc's... first being Masaki and Iishin... and the second being the Quincy & Shinigami war. Seeing this first one play out was somewhat ok... Masaki boobs were the highlight of this chapter... everything else felt phoned in till the end. I hope the next chapter really drops a bombshell on us... but i have a feeling what's going to happen is that Masaki will be killed by the quincy and grand fisher just eats her up before iishin can get there.

Naruto:

Meh.

Foolworm

The Five Star Stories

Meeting of the Meights (Garlands)!

O'Haine of the Lake's design is drop dead gorgeous. Queen was (is) my favourite, but damn. Am strangely fond of Ninaris too.

Lain

Index volume 8
D9o.jpg

Toma's courageous (impulsively stupid?) actions to defend people always get me pumped.
Seeing him punch men, women and kids until they stop doing bad deeds always provides a great feeling.
Poor Misaka always gets interrupted by Kuroko.

Magi volume 10
E9o.jpg

Zagan's dungeon is quite the weird place. It's nice to see the different reactions between the trio formed by Aladdin Alibaba and Morgiana and Hakuryu, who is still held down by the conviction of not wanting help from others.
Those dude the guys meet at the market looked like evildoers from the onset, so I wasn't surprised to then see them at the end of the volume. Now I can only hope they get beat black and blue, after Mor has risked her life.

Fate/zero volume 2
F9o.jpg

Really fun volume that starts with the battle between Lancer and Saber and all the secrecy and machinations of other masters and then Iskandar comes out and things become quite interesting. The way he draws out Archer/Gilgamesh and Berserker raises my appreciation for him, though at the end this leads to Berserker attacking a wounded Saber and Lancer's master using a command magic to have Lancer team with Berserker to kill Saber, which is not cool at all. No one touches my Saber and gets off without a good beating (which I hope will be served in the next volume).

Prison School volume 1
G9o.jpg

I've read some of your comments on this from time to time, but never put much thought in it. Afterall, whenever I read the words Prison School, I can only think about the masterpiece written by Kaneyama Shin, Saint Prison School (which has also a sequel! If only someone translated it).

Anyways, the first volume introduces a group of pretty unlikeable main characters, of which only one seems to have some sort of redeemable quality to him, though he loses that pretty quickly, as soon as he accepts to go peeping despite the girl that talked to him and that he has an appointment with being there.

The whole story seems kinda absurd so far and not something I'm enjoying too much, mostly because the main guys are pretty off-putting. On the other hand, the fanservice and level of lewdness is pretty high, with the direction of certain scenes made so to show off some pretty nice and round asses, or a delicious cleavage.
So, basically, the art seems like what will keep this on my buy list for now, though I hope the story will improve in the next volumes.

It's kind of hard to build big series in Jump when new ones get cancelled within a few months. The new stuff that's surviving is hardly standard like Nisekoi or Shokugeki no Soma. I guess we'll see how the next batch of new series does.

Village

It's kind of hard to build big series in Jump when new ones get cancelled within a few months. The new stuff that's surviving is hardly standard like Nisekoi or Shokugeki no Soma. I guess we'll see how the next batch of new series does.

hmm , does anyone have in favorites, that you would like to become popular.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Isn't shokugeki no soma pretty popular too?

Jump Issue 24 said:
Soul Catcher(S) (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
One Piece
Naruto
Toriko (CP)
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Kuroko no Basket
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Shokugeki no Souma
Haikyuu!! (CP)
Gintama
Nisekoi
Kingdom (CP, Special Chapter)
Sket Dance
Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kouen-mae Hashutsujo
Bleach
Beelzebub
World Trigger
Cross・Manage
Koisuru Edison
Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san
Hungry Joker (End)

Until the end of One Piece and Naruto dominance with sales ends, I don't think anyone else is going to get a bigger audience.

I can see Beelzebub or Toriko pick up if Naruto ends in the near future.

Hasn't it always been that way? It's practically the survival of the fittest in Jump, and for all the One Piece, Dragonball and Naruto, there must have been hundreds that didn't make it.

Haly

Toriko, AssClass and Kuroko probably.

Shokugeki might replace Toriko depending on how the series progresses.

dumbyugi

Until the end of One Piece and Naruto dominance with sales ends, I don't think anyone else is going to get a bigger audience.

I can see Beelzebub or Toriko pick up if Naruto ends in the near future.

People, not you specifically, seem to think that when one of the big sellers end that other series will jump up in sales, but this is very unlikely. There might be some small growth but it'll hardly be notable.

People, not you specifically, seem to think that when one of the big sellers end that other series will jump up in sales, but this is very unlikely. There might be some small growth but it'll hardly be notable.

Well if you look at it from a different perspective it works differently.

I like Naruto and then it ends. Bought the last volume and now I have nothing else to buy.

Either I don't pick up a new series and quit manga/reduce the amount of volumes I buy by one.

Or I pick up a new series to replace Naruto.

I'm thinking more along the lines of picking a new series to replace the finished one.

Kurita

I can't see Beelzebub becoming more popular to be honest.
And they already have solid mid-tier series like Haikyuu!!, Nisekoi, Food Smut and PSI Kusuo Saiki which could become even more popular if they get animes.
(And there's Assassination Classroom obviously...)

dumbyugi

Well if you look at it from a different perspective it works differently.

I like Naruto and then it ends. Bought the last volume and now I have nothing else to buy.

Either I don't pick up a new series and quit manga/reduce the amount of volumes I buy by one.

Or I pick up a new series to replace Naruto.

I'm thinking more along the lines of picking a new series to replace the finished one.

The problem is that the people who would pick up a new series to read because the one series they were reading ends will be in the minority compared to those who just stop buying manga. Of course a lot of people already read multiple series so they won't need a new series to replace one of them ending. People didn't pick up Soul Eater just because Fullmetal Alchemist ended even though they were in the same magazine.

Haly

Beelzebub has gone long enough that if it hasn't made its way to the top consistently, it probably won't get there barring some massive shift in narrative.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to piss him off by forcing him to write manga, he might quit. Other companies would jump on him without any hesitation.

Let him do his thing: Nothing happens, no new chapters.
Force him to write: Nothing happens, no new chapters, he quits.

Not that big of a difference.

dumbyugi

Togashi himself explained he had health problems during the serialization of Yû Yû Hakusho.

Did he say if they were life-long health problems? Because it's been 20 years since Yu Yu Hakusho.

Let him do his thing: Nothing happens, no new chapters.
Force him to write: Nothing happens, no new chapters, he quits.

Not that big of a difference.

Lol I guess that's true.

Was yu yu hakusho that big?

I liked the series but I can't remember if it was ever a huge mega success.

It was one of the biggest Jump series of the 90's.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

dumbyugi

Is it really that hard to imagine that someone would simply not be able to withstand that kind of pace?

Of course not, I have no problem with the artists taking breaks if they can't keep up with the pace of weekly manga writing, it's very common in other magazines for artists to do 2 chapters a month instead of 4 for example, but when you have an entire year to draw 10 chapters and you can't even finish them fully then something is up.

Of course not, I have no problem with the artists taking breaks if they can't keep up with the pace of weekly manga writing, it's very common in other magazines for artists to do 2 chapters a month instead of 4 for example, but when you have an entire year to draw 10 chapters and you can't even finish them fully then something is up.

10 chapters a year doesn't even sound that bad. It's almost a monthly schedule. If only the content would be appropriate for a monthly manga.

dumbyugi

10 chapters a year doesn't even sound that bad. It's almost a monthly schedule. If only the content would be appropriate for a monthly manga.

Well that's what I was saying. I don't care if he only draws 1 chapter a year, I would expect it to be actually finished though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom