• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Okabe 49!

On Naruto, pretty solid chapter. Obito knew what happened, probably learned after about the 3-Tails. Alive is alive to him, zombies don't count. Worked out pretty well. I'm convinced half of you guys aren't actually reading it or are reading a shitty translation.

I did like this Naruto´s chapter. It shows that Tobi is a disillusioned putz. I really hope that Tobi does not get TNJ´ed by Kakashi. I want real development for Kakashi where he kills Obito or at least has the killing intent so Kakashi can put once and for all his past behind him.

So Manga-GAF, I'm looking for another good shonen-type manga to pick up reading, since I've caught up on my most recent reads. (It doesn't have to be strictly shonen)

My current favorites:
The Big 3 (N/B/OP)
Toriko
Fairy Tail
Claymore
OnePunch Man
Berserk (Yeah, I know it's not shonen but I still love it)
Deadman Wonderland
Hunter X Hunter

Based of my list above, anyone got a recommendation for a manga they think I might like? (good action/plot development are a definite plus)

Magi
Soul Eater
Noblesse
Hunter X Hunter

For Seinen you must read Vinland Saga.

Kurita

Shiny Shokudo 18

Hah, good for the guy.

Man, this was a pretty charming read. Fans of bartender should definitely give it a shot, it has generally the same tone and premise.

Great set of characters, and it really showcases the weird and touching moments from people from all walks of life.

I should check Bartender if they're similar.
Glad you like it, it really was a great surprise, didn't expect to like it this much when I started reading.

Brickhunt

Am I remembering this wrong or before this chapter to either store or control a bijuu you had to be a great ninja because sealing techniques besides the Uzumaki's ones are crap? Rin looks everything but a great ninja.
If not random it certainly looks wrong.
If you are aiming to have Jinchuuriki as an actual Shinobi, like Killer Bee, you need to find compatible people first. Be skilled is preferable, but not necessary. Otherwise, Garra wouldn't had been made a Jinchuuriki as a baby.

Considering that the Mist purposely turned an enemy in a Jinchuuriki. We could say that they deliberately choose Rin expecting her to easily fail as Jinchuuriki.

LeleSocho

Banned
If you are aiming to have Jinchuuriki as an actual Shinobi, like Killer Bee, you need to find compatible people first. Be skilled is preferable, but not necessary. Otherwise, Garra wouldn't had been made a Jinchuuriki as a baby.

Considering that the Mist purposely turned an enemy in a Jinchuuriki. We could say that they deliberately choose Rin expecting her to easily fail as Jinchuuriki.

Yeah but a person not suited to be a jinchuuriki in the moment of sealing shouldn't die?

Shouta

Am I remembering this wrong or before this chapter to either store or control a bijuu you had to be a great ninja because sealing techniques besides the Uzumaki's ones are crap? Rin looks everything but a great ninja.
If not random it certainly looks wrong.

You need to be a great ninja to seal it within anyone you want. However, I'm pretty certain anyone can try sealing it in and have it break which would let the Tailed Beast run around of its own free will. I don't think the ability of a ninja inherently matters much to being able to hold one, unless it was retconned. Naruto was a really crappy Ninja up until he met Jiraiya (his other teachers too) and the 9 Tails was quiet for a long time. Gaara on the other hand had the 1-Tails whispering death into his ear and he was a pretty damn good Ninja without it.

LeleSocho

Banned
You need to be a great ninja to seal it within anyone you want. However, I'm pretty certain anyone can try sealing it in and have it break which would let the Tailed Beast run around of its own free will. I don't think the ability of a ninja inherently matters much to being able to hold one, unless it was retconned. Naruto was a really crappy Ninja up until he met Jiraiya (his other teachers too) and the 9 Tails was quiet for a long time. Gaara on the other hand had the 1-Tails whispering death into his ear and he was a pretty damn good Ninja without it.

Naruto was a crappy ninja because of pentastichous seal which Jiraiya removed... in fact considering that he managed to keep up with other ninjas even with the seal we can say that naruto always has been a very good ninja.
The need to have a good sealing ninja doesn't hold up imho, it wouldn't explain all the people who died trying to be the jinchuuriki of the hachibi and whatnot

survivor

Banned
Emma Further Tales vol 8-10 End
iZLykarzUrPE5.jpg
iwAJtYxobCYdR.jpg
ibcuBmpsbSSnNh.jpg

I think I like these 3 volumes more than the actual story. They are more fun to read and focused on a lot of different side characters which was really enjoyable to read. When they shifted focus back to Emma in the last 2 chapters, I wasn't even that excited cause it was back to old boring Emma which we already got 7 volumes dedicated to her. The stories themselves are also really well done. The heartwarming past of Kelly and her husband, Eleanor trying to get over William, and Emma's wedding. What's surprising is seeing how many random minor characters Mori decided to focus on. Like that chef that just had 3 pages appearance in one random chapter. Or that that group of 3 singers who got their own love triangle. Hell, even Violet got half a chapter dedicated to her. It's really nice to see an author focusing on all their characters. I really like this approach of focusing on your story first, progressing the plot, building up your cast of characters, and then have bunch of short stories focused on their developments, or fill in the gaps on their backstory (Dorothea and her husband, Adele, Hakim and William, and so on).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I'm pretty sure it does have something to do with inherent capacity to hold them; they spend a lot of time looking for "candidates" who have a lot of life force (e.g. Kushina and other Uzumaki, including Naruto himself). If the only real issue was being a living person, they would just seal it into their strongest ninjas.

That would be a huge plot twist, because we always thought Grimace was Kishimoto.

That was God's Beard, because of some plot prediction around the Pain arc that I no longer recall. His outlined plot involved a lot of weird shit like Might Guy dying and then coming back to life or something if I recall.

Kurita

Tonari no Seki-kun
6DUBC6U.jpg
h8ZGJ2J.jpg

The boy who sits next to Yokoi in class, Seki-kun, is always up to something at his desk. He manages to somehow play very elaborate games without attracting the teacher's attention. From dominos, to shogi, to go, to mecha models, to playing with cats and more, he always has something new to do. Yokoi often finds herself getting reluctantly interested in his games, even though they always seem to end up getting HER in trouble with the teacher

Really charming and ligh-hearted manga.
Watching Seki-kun inventing crazy games with trivial things is so much fun.
He has so much imagination, he manages to create stories about monarchy while playing shogi! He never speaks and despite that, he manages to be pretty likeable thanks to his skills.
He must be Swagamoto's long lost brother or something.
I dig the art style, it's cute, some moments are surprisingly detailed.
Highly recommend it if you're looking for a light read.

That was God's Beard, because of some plot prediction around the Pain arc that I no longer recall. His outlined plot involved a lot of weird shit like Might Guy dying and then coming back to life or something if I recall.

How was my Monster prediction? Should I bother with the rest?

survivor

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun

Really charming and ligh-hearted manga.
Watching Seki-kun inventing crazy games with trivial things is so much fun.
He has so much imagination, he manages to create stories about monarchy while playing shogi! He never speaks and despite that, he manages to be pretty likeable thanks to his skills.
He must Swagamoto's long lost brother or something.
I dig the art style, it's cute, some moments are surprisingly detailed.
Highly recommend it if you're looking for a light read.
Can't wait for the anime.

GManDH

Toriko
If Toriko is still losing than there is no way he can ever beat whatever the boss man is, unless this is OP part 2 and goes on for 1000chapters.

One Piece
Amazing continuation of story. For all of you who dont care bout secondary characters, then how do u expect them to become major. love that they showed someone who if im not mistaken now has the highest bounty ever shown, and how block B is still going. shows its a tough block. GO FISHMAN. P.S. never mind there is no other OP.

dumbyugi

Alyosha END

I could tell it was going to end but I thought it would have at least a few more chapters left. The ending bothered me a little bit, I wish Alyosha had stayed at school with Miru and the rest rather than going back to her homeland for no reason. Katie's boobs became way to big after the time skip, they were better when they were just big. Overall I enjoyed the series but I'll probably never read it again. 7/10

Shouta

I'm pretty sure it does have something to do with inherent capacity to hold them; they spend a lot of time looking for "candidates" who have a lot of life force (e.g. Kushina and other Uzumaki, including Naruto himself). If the only real issue was being a living person, they would just seal it into their strongest ninjas.

I always thought that it had a lot to do with the sealer too. An inefficient seal allows the TBs to flail around as they see fit and that's why a strong vessel is needed to contain it otherwise they'd die from all the energy or wouldn't be able to deal with them rampaging. Bigger containers are better but most will do in a pinch.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
And I thought the Tailed Beasts escapes when the host dies, or was it that they both die when killed, most likely the latter because the Kyuubi in Naruto did everything to stop Naruto from dying in numerous situations, so it's either Akatsuki's plans got screwed when Kakashi chidori'd Rin or the tailed beast would bust out and go berserk when getting chidori'd by Kakashi.

The tailed beast doesn't die, but it takes a while for it to re-emerge into the world. I'm not sure about the mechanism, but Tsunade and the Raikage discussed it when he talked about killing Naruto to keep him away from the battlefield. It would take the Kyuubi off the table for a while, but Tsunade said there was no guarantee that the next Jinchuriki would be able to control it as well as Naruto.

Kakashi killing Rin removed the sanbi from the playing field, and when it came back they sealed it into the Mizukage. Then at some point the Mizukage died, and it ended up in the wild. I'm not sure if it just "respawns" in the wild every time the Jinchuriki dies after some kind of delay, or if there's some controlled way to gain hold of it after the death, or what. But at the very least, it doesn't just bust out right then and there when they die.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I always thought that it had a lot to do with the sealer too. An inefficient seal allows the TBs to flail around as they see fit and that's why a strong vessel is needed to contain it otherwise they'd die from all the energy or wouldn't be able to deal with them rampaging. Bigger containers are better but most will do in a pinch.

The Seal itself is obviously important as well; Minato wasn't able to seal the Kyuubi himself but several others WERE able to do it.

Erigu

You mean the fact that they wanted to use her as a human bomb, basically? Why not?
For one thing, at the cost of their Tailed Beast, that's one expensive human bomb. And wouldn't it be awkward if their enemies actually managed to seal it and take it for them on top of that.
Then, there's the fact Rin knew, which kinda defeats the whole purpose.
Also, if that's what was going on, what was up with those Mist guys' reactions, in Obito's flashback? Why were they trying to recover her corpse?

Just generally complaining that "[plot element] doesn't make sense" without any rhyme or reason why has become practically the leading anti-Naruto complaint for the last 5 years.
Simply asserting that people are complaining without rhyme nor reason (even if that means completely ignoring what's actually been said) has become your main defense of the manga.

Angry Grimace

For one thing, at the cost of their Tailed Beast, that's one expensive human bomb. And wouldn't it be awkward if their enemies actually managed to seal it and take it for them on top of that.
Then, there's the fact Rin knew, which kinda defeats the whole purpose.
Also, if that's what was going on, what was up with those Mist guys' reactions, in Obito's flashback? Why were they trying to recover her corpse?

Simply asserting that people are complaining without rhyme nor reason (even if that means completely ignoring what's actually been said) has become your main defense of the manga.

Truth spoken multiple times doesn't make it untrue. The fact that I told you that you have done this before doesn't in fact, prove any point at all other than I accused you of it before.

Besides, if we're going to go with an ad hominem attack, lets not forget your main strategy in making arguments is just literally editing quotes of posts to remove the parts that prove what you're saying is wrong.

As for the argument above, I don't see how any of those "defeat the whole purpose." None of the characters in the entire manga save Bee, Naruto, Madara and apparently Hashirama have ever been able effectively utilize the Beasts as a weapon. If anything, this is a MORE effective strategy than having random Beast hosts fail to control the beast and then die.

Atredeus

Neo Member
You mean the fact that they wanted to use her as a human bomb, basically? Why not? It's not a far-fetched plan and a rampaging Tailed Beast is quite the nasty adversary. And Madara did it later The question is when this occurred. It makes Obito look like an even bigger douche and makes Kakashi's guilt a bit more interesting.

It also fits with the events of Naruto's birth considering what occurred then.

I don't get this. Tailed beasts are supposed to be like nuclear deterrence, right? So why would a village forfeit their negotiating piece to "nuke" a village, just to make themselves vulnerable to any other village? Or potentially take the chance of another village assuming control of their tailed beast? Seems like a pretty bad plan, IMO. Also, I don't think a captured ninja would be welcomed back with open arms without some sort of brainwashing/jinchuuriki check.

So Manga-GAF, I'm looking for another good shonen-type manga to pick up reading, since I've caught up on my most recent reads. (It doesn't have to be strictly shonen)

My current favorites:
The Big 3 (N/B/OP)
Toriko
Fairy Tail
Claymore
OnePunch Man
Deadman Wonderland
Hunter X Hunter

Based of my list above, anyone got a recommendation for a manga they think I might like? (good action/plot development are a definite plus)

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
Yu Yu Hakusho
Anything by Anzai (Flame of Recca, MAR, or maybe Mixim (meh))
I'll third Sun-Ken Rock... though it is kinda formulaic and a grown-up mafia Fairy Tail
Veritas
King of High School
The Breaker/Breaker New Waves

CosmicBlizzard has a great list of Shounen series somewhere on here. I've started a buncha series because of that, but it's a little light on Manwha

Erigu

The fact that I told you that you have done this before doesn't in fact, prove any point at all other than I accused you of it before.
You weren't accusing me, but making a swiping (and false, as anybody could tell just by reading the damn topic) generalization.

Besides, if we're going to go with an ad hominem attack
That's not what an ad hominem attack is.

lets not forget your main strategy in making arguments is just literally editing quotes of posts to remove the parts that prove what you're saying is wrong.
Of course... I don't suppose you'll show me where I did that?

As for the argument above, I don't see how any of those "defeat the whole purpose."
You don't see how Rin knowing defeats the whole purpose? Really, now? What if she did, well... what she actually did? Yup, that's how the plan failed. Sure is a good thing those Mist guys lucked out and still managed to get their Tailed Beast back after that blunder!

None of the characters in the entire manga save Bee, Naruto, Madara and apparently Hashirama have ever been able effectively utilize the Beasts as a weapon. If anything, this is a MORE effective strategy than having random Beast hosts fail to control the beast and then die.
Except for the fact you could lose your Tailed Beast to the enemy, for example.
But I think I said that already. I mean, it's great that you're the bigger guy and actually quote the whole thing, unlike despicable me, but if you ignore whatever's inconvenient for your argument, I'm not sure that's really...

I detailed the Moon's Eye plan about 6 months out. I still think Kakashi is going to die to bring back Naruto. Or at least that Kishimoto planned him to at some point. I guess at this point the other option is that he brings back Obito after killing him, or Obito's already dead and he brings him back to turn him.

My current favorites:
The Big 3 (N/B/OP)
Toriko
Fairy Tail
Claymore
OnePunch Man
Deadman Wonderland
Hunter X Hunter

GTO is the best shonan.

Oh how I love it when an argument in neoGAF regresses into an argument about the proper usage of a word.

Fh3ro.gif

My current favorites:
The Big 3 (N/B/OP)
Toriko
Fairy Tail
Claymore
OnePunch Man
Deadman Wonderland
Hunter X Hunter

If you want something ongoing, Magi should be right up your alley. I haven't read the manga yet but based upon the anime I'd say Soul Eater is worth checking out as well.

If you want a completed series check out Yu Yu Hakusho, Full Metal Alchemist, or Ruroni Kenshin (assuming you haven't read them).

Angry Grimace

Oh how I love it when an argument in neoGAF regresses into an argument about the proper usage of a word.

I wouldn't worry about it. Erigu is back on ignore.

Does Tenma get any better/interesting and is he going to have any character development? If not, then I might as well not bother with the villain, who's just as boring.

In all honesty, not really. He's Surgeon Jesus the entire time.

Does Tenma get any better/interesting and is he going to have any character development? If not, then I might as well not bother with the villain, who's just as boring.

Tenma beings to find himself traveling down the path of walking the line. Hard to explain without dropping all the spoilers. Every couple of chapters an "OH SH---" moment happens that keeps me hooked. The only reason I've not read more is due to being busy/tired. Honestly watching Johan be a master manipulator is really what is the big draw to continue reading the series.

Angry Grimace

Tenma beings to find himself traveling down the path of walking the line. Hard to explain without dropping all the spoilers. Every couple of chapters an "OH SH---" moment happens that keeps me hooked. The only reason I've not read more is due to being busy/tired. Honestly watching Johan be a master manipulator is really what is the big draw to continue reading the series.

The real star is and always is Johan. If you're reading for Tenma you're going to be kind of disappointed I think.

Angry Grimace

I mean Johan is the title character it makes sense you read the series for him :p

Without spoiling too much, you'd be disappointed anyways if you wanted to see Tenma significantly grow as a character.

Monster

I mean Johan is the title character it makes sense you read the series for him :p

Without spoiling too much, you'd be disappointed anyways if you wanted to see Tenma significantly grow as a character.

I'm at the part where Tenma saved the sister from the bad cops and I have to admit that it's impressive how far Johan's reach is. The story seems relatively far though and I can't see how this can keep going another 150 chapters. In a way I'm still a bit bummed about the really reveal.

And I hope Urasawa knows by now that not all German cities are stuck in the 19th century (talking about the architecture).

Monster

I'm at the part where Tenma saved the sister from the bad cops and I have to admit that it's impressive how far Johan's reach is. The story seems relatively far though and I can't see how this can keep going another 150 chapters. In a way I'm still a bit bummed about the really reveal.

And I hope Urasawa knows by now that not all German cities are stuck in the 19th century (talking about the architecture).

I just try and look past that in the scheme of things, at least he bothers to draw back grounds :p

Angry Grimace

Monster

There's a lot of different cities and locations in Monster.

My current favorites:
The Big 3 (N/B/OP)
Toriko
Fairy Tail
Claymore
OnePunch Man
Deadman Wonderland
Hunter X Hunter

Have you seen this thread in the OP? It needs to be updated, but there's some good stuff there.

bigkrev

Tonari no Seki-kun
6DUBC6U.jpg
h8ZGJ2J.jpg

I read what you wrote, and thought "Wow, that sounds like it was written for me"!

Tonari no Seki-kun
Fucking perfect. Works fine as a gag manga early on, and as they slowly start to add in a romantic element to the plot, it doesn't take away from the fun. Seki-kun is such an awesome character- very expressive though he never says a word, and oozing with Swag not normally seen outside of Swagamoto. The games/activities are pretty great, even if some of them really don't translate into english that well.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57296228].[/QUOTE]

Insightful, thought-provoking and might I even say, touching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom