• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slam Dunk 147 - 185
tumblr_mmifatL9xc1qbxqfpo1_1280.jpg

I think Ill take back all the negative things I said about this manga as definitely once it reached into the hundred mark and then the mid hundred to 185 it just got so good I couldnt stop reading. The whole match and all the epic moments and then the writer/artist even did a chapter that basically only had litrally only two bubbles of text. Somehow it was just a wholly glorious chapter that was so well drawn and what not. The whole match was almost up there with some of the matches Ive seen in Kuroko's Basketball. Favorite moments definitely came from lightning fast Miyagi Ryota, Sendoh, and of course Rukawa's performance second half, wow and he always looks so good when he manages to score. Need him and Sendoh to face each other again. Outcome
Taoka almost made me think that his team would win and Shokoku would have to try again at a later tournament to challenge them. His whole "screenplay" penned and identifying all the weaknesses. Thank goodness for megane-kun getting that three and then the unknown variable Sakuragi there (was said they had to lose one of the players, hope he has no regrets). Admirable words offered from Taoka, and ultimately, teared up on the scene as I wanted Sendoh to win but also for Shokoku too, the difficulties of being a fan of both sides

survivor

Banned
Alice in Hell 1-6
aliceiczwt.jpg

This is a Jiro Matsumoto manga alright. It's dark, surreal, violent, and crazy. Not to mention the story starts with one of his favourite fetishes. The post apocalyptic setting in a semi-lawless commune seems perfect for Matsumoto as it allows him to fill it with the most fucked up people and go wild with the violent action scenes. So far it's up to the standard of what I would expect out of his stories.

Alice in Hell 1-6
aliceiczwt.jpg

This is a Jiro Matsumoto manga alright. It's dark, surreal, violent, and crazy. Not to mention the story starts with one of his favourite fetishes. The post apocalyptic setting in a semi-lawless commune seems perfect for Matsumoto as it allows him to fill it with the most fucked up people and go wild with the violent action scenes. So far it's up to the standard of what I would expect out of his stories.

The latest chapter was great.

Shouta

I don't get this. Tailed beasts are supposed to be like nuclear deterrence, right? So why would a village forfeit their negotiating piece to "nuke" a village, just to make themselves vulnerable to any other village? Or potentially take the chance of another village assuming control of their tailed beast? Seems like a pretty bad plan, IMO. Also, I don't think a captured ninja would be welcomed back with open arms without some sort of brainwashing/jinchuuriki check.

Uh, I don't know if you could really call them a deterrence because they're typically so hard to handle. It wasn't until recently that they could be controlled somewhat. Even then, it's not like it's a card you can pull out at will and be this massively powerful controllable weapon.

Besides, if you know how to capture it, then you can set it loose, have it destroy their village, then get it after its done its job. They could also launch an attack while it's rampaging as camo etc. Orochimaru used this plan in fact, though with his summoned beasts rather than a tailed one. That one was pretty effective overall too.

Articalys

Nisekoi

I hope this series plummets in the rankings again so the author is forced to actually keep the plot moving. He's getting too complacent.

Articalys

Slightly older news, but still worth it for the ridiculous title: a new comedy series from the Vampire Bund mangaka called Hard Nerd Daddy -Hatarake! Otaku!!-.
The "male maternity blues story" revolves around a manga creator who used to spend lavishly on his otaku hobbies, thanks to the carefree life of a dual-income marriage. That all changes when his wife gets pregnant. Suddenly, the man has to juggle manga or money … otaku hobbies or cost of living.

Mael

How Isshin got back his powers.
When Masaki moved away from the Ishidas.
The start of romance between Masaki and Isshin.
Ryuuken´s giving up on quincies and we know Uryuu´s mother.

I will say pretty packed with content. FYI content is not just speech bubbles.

What was so good about this one piece chapter?

Very little happened and that´s insignificant to the overall story. And yet you say Bleach lacked content.

Ok I think someone earlier posted that you were really in love with Kubo's work but come on let's not get to a ridiculous degree either.
Anyone with half a brain could have gathered the 1rst point from last week chapter at least.
When they explained that they couldn't remove the hollow last chapter we knew that that this meant she was going away from the Ishidas considering she's only been there to further the pure bloodline in the 1rst place.
Last week we knew that the cure meant she was to live with Isshin so anyone with half a brain could see that meant the start of the relationship.
And considering how much Kubo like shippers, for all we know he could pull a twist and Ryuken marry another quincy we haven't heard off from a more remote place (and that maid was only the one who raised Ishida like rich people used to do a century ago so he got really attached to her and that's why he have the maid's qualities).

I'm not even saying Bleach needs more speech bubbles (it doesn't, show don't tell after all), I'm saying that there's really not much we got that we didn't know from before.
It's basically the same problem as ever : the pacing is fucked up (but it's certainly better than the worst it has ever been although I guess you had no problem with that...)
Heck with your reasoning we could say that this week's chapter of Naruto we learned that Madara found something more fun to do than the boring war and we'll learn soon what it is (and seriously that would be a dumb argument).

Toriko 1-69

And now I know why this manga didn't sit well with me and why it's not that popular.
Again the food stuffs makes no sense, because the food is more hard to get it's automatically better.
That's basically the gist of the argument Toriko is trying to make.
And it's really everywhere, if the framing was more akin to Monster Hunter it would lower the scope but the whole thing wouldn't seem so dumb.
Still it's not so bad, they just need to get rid of Komatsu who serves no purpose most of the time and serves as the newbie who'll get better and follow the regular anime tropes to a T...
It doesn't hold a candle to any of the 3 big WSJ, let alone HxH.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Toriko 1-69

And now I know why this manga didn't sit well with me and why it's not that popular.
Again the food stuffs makes no sense, because the food is more hard to get it's automatically better.
That's basically the gist of the argument Toriko is trying to make.
And it's really everywhere, if the framing was more akin to Monster Hunter it would lower the scope but the whole thing wouldn't seem so dumb.
Still it's not so bad, they just need to get rid of Komatsu who serves no purpose most of the time and serves as the newbie who'll get better and follow the regular anime tropes to a T...
It doesn't hold a candle to any of the 3 big WSJ, let alone HxH.

You should probably read further.

Also don't try to follow the logic of the ingredient's power levels. It's not meant to make sense.

Antiwhippy

I guess that's why it's a major turn off for me...
I'll do what I can but I promise nothing.
It's not a bad read though, I expected far worse.

In the same way that HxH is a weekly manga.

Seriously, you are barely scratching the surface on how ridiculous the cooking and ingredients are in Toriko. Just sit back and let it wash over you.

Mael

I officially don't like people who don't like Toriko :mad:
I'm not saying I don't like Toriko, I'm saying it's not the second coming of Osamu Tezuka.
It's certainly fun so far but I can already say there's no way it could be like the best of the best.
Seriously, you are barely scratching the surface on how ridiculous the cooking and ingredients are in Toriko. Just sit back and let it wash over you.

You're right, these parts are also kind of boring too, to be honest.

wonzo

Banned
its true

rip hungry joker

edit: if toriko got the popularity shueshia wanted it to do you think they'd tone down on all the forced promotion stuff or make it worse?
The smart thing would be to shift their resources to promoting something else but this is Shueisha we're talkin' about here so of course they wouldn't! lol

wonzo

Banned
AKB49 124

good news: OKABE FFFUUUCCKKK YYEEAAAHHHHHHHHH

bad news: the group doing this is gonna drop it thanks to a lack of personal interest ;___________________________________;

Antiwhippy

Toriko starts fairly slow though. Meanwhile Ass Class has stayed pretty consistent throughout.

One thing about toriko is that the author has no sense of limits. Whether that's good or bad is entirely up to you.

bad news: the group doing this is gonna drop it thanks to a lack of personal interest ;___________________________________;

What? :(

Someone else will probably pick it up right?

Solune

So Manga-GAF, I'm looking for another good shonen-type manga to pick up reading, since I've caught up on my most recent reads. (It doesn't have to be strictly shonen)

My current favorites:
The Big 3 (N/B/OP)
Toriko
Fairy Tail
Claymore
OnePunch Man
Berserk (Yeah, I know it's not shonen but I still love it)
Deadman Wonderland
Hunter X Hunter

Based of my list above, anyone got a recommendation for a manga they think I might like? (good action/plot development are a definite plus)
Akame ga Kill
Beelzebub
Psyren
Alive: The Final Evolution
Nurarihyon no Mago

I officially don't like people who don't like Toriko :mad:
for me too the big three now are Toriko/Naruto/OP

Toriko works better as an anime than a manga, his skills are awesome to see in motion, great music and always creative fan submitted foods.

Toriko is fun but I dont really think it manages to really be a quality series. More interesting food one is Shokugeki no Soma. (Superior character designs, great art, great food, best settling)

Soul Catcher(s) characters are better designed. Smoky bb art there feels slightly over designed and he seems on the aged side.

Yeah, anything over 15 is definitely too old.

Hey, all that work into drawing unique faces means you need to sacrifice some effort somewhere.

Some of the faces in Monster remind me of the way Chinese people are usually portrayed in anime. It's a bit confusing.

Kurita

It looks way better, the art seems to be pretty good.
Hopefully it'll be over the top like Prince of Tennis or Eyeshield 21.

LeleSocho

Banned
Toriko works better as an anime than a manga, his skills are awesome to see in motion, great music and always creative fan submitted foods.

Toriko is fun but I dont really think it manages to really be a quality series. More interesting food one is Shokugeki no Soma. (Superior character designs, great art, great food, best settling)

In theory it works better as an anime but uber cheap production from toei makes it look like crap

I don't really see how Toriko cannot be a quality series sincerely, food is a great source of humour and it works unlike others, you do not have to wait 100 chapters before having good fights on every arc, the power-ups are always somewhat explained, the pace is constant and doesn't have dozens of chapters full of nothing and the last but not the least (which is where most people will be against me probably) is that the chara design is very good and it always has been right from the start.

Now if you look at all these quality you'll see that are all issues that one or more of the "old" big3 have.

the only thing i can give you is that maybe the story only in the last ~30 chapters is starting to become interesting but it's fixing itself every chapter that passes

Akito

I have nothing against macho manly designs in general but something about Toriko's (the series) design just rubs me wrong so that I can probably never get into it.

It looks way better, the art seems to be pretty good.
Hopefully it'll be over the top like Prince of Tennis or Eyeshield 21.

I'd actually read a baseball manga, despite knowing nothing about the sport.

But you're insane when you think that the art looks better than Soul Catchers.

One is your overly generic character design with minor differences and the other has some good style, youthful characters and a slightly aggressive tone that makes you curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom