• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lirlond

Can anyone do me a huge favour and post the "Are you god?!" page from fourteen? Trying to find it on google is impossible lol

Akito

Haha, never knew Naoko Takeuchi's autobiographical manga got translated. It depicts what she did after finishing up Sailor Moon and how she and Togashi met and how they got together. I'm sure it often as not exaggerates things a little but it's fun as hell to read, Togashi is boss at everything :lol

Code:
Narration:      One day in August '97, I was invited to a party hosted by
                the Weekly Shounen Jump manga artist Hagii, Hagiwara
                Kazushi-aniki.

[HK is the author of the manga series Bastard!!]
        ['aniki' means 'older brother', and in this context is an
        affectionate but respectful suffix.]

Trustworthy Hagii-aniki:
                I'm sure I could make my partner come three times with one
                screw.

Naoko:          Well then, I'll have to see once... Or not...

Label:          The super-VIP corner of Hagii's, Hagiwara Kazushi-aniki's,
                setting.

Names are shown around a table:
                Itou Takehiko-sensei                    [Outlaw Star]
                Hara Tetsuo-sensei and family           [Hokuto no Ken]
                Shibata Ami                             [Jiyuujin Hero]
                Watsuki Nobuhiro-sensei                 [Rurouni Kenshin]
                Princess Takeuchi Naoko
                Prince Togashi Yoshihiro

Narration:      The business card exchange began.

Drawing of a man in a black hat and glasses.

Comment:        Wakkii, Watsuki Nobuhiro-sensei, from Rurouni Kenshin.

Drawing of a young girl in a sailor suit.

Comment:        Yuuko-chan, the daughter of Hara Tetsuo, of Hokuto no Ken,
                was doing a Sailor Moon cosplay

Narration:      Only the otaku-ish man sitting next to me didn't give me a
                business card.

Naoko:          Umm... Are you a manga artist?

Yoshihiro:      Yes, I'm Togashi Yoshihiro.
                (I don't have a business card.)

Naoko:          Togashi Yoshihiro!?

Narration:      After he introduced himself, he wrote out a business card
                right there.

Comment:        On the back of a business card printed for Sanshin.

Written on the card is Yoshihiro's name and phone number.

Narration:      While I was standing in the bathroom, before I knew it he was
                gone.

Naoko:          I wonder if this means he wants me to call him. Is this an
                invitation!?

Narration:      And so, as I was at an impasse with work, being on a
                long-term vacation, I promptly called him up.

Yoshihiro:      Sailor Moon? I've never seen the manga or the anime, sorry.

A sweat drop forms on Naoko's head.

Narration:      We started with my training as a manager.

Naoko:          Prince, so I can become a mature manga artist, be sure to
                teach me.

Yoshihiro:      Well, first we'll clean my room. Shall we go?

Comment:        And with that he brought me there.

Naoko enters a very, VERY messy room.

Narration:      A wasteland! It feels like a nerd's room after being
                burglarized. It looks like Saru Matake's place in Matsumoto
                Reiji's Otoko Oidon.

Yoshihiro:      I'll give you a million to clean it.

Narration:      He really is a prince! I wanted the million, so I thought I'd
                go for it, but...
                Since I couldn't begin to do it (I'm allergic to dust), he
                used the million to proceed with his move.

Naoko:          I became his guarantor. It was for my teacher.

Narration:      The prince's new office building has a cleaning service that
                empties the garbage when you leave it outside the door. There
                are lots of restaurants in a separate building, and there's
                even a bowling alley, a tennis court, and a billiard hall!
                It's a super-high-class condo, just like a hotel!

Comment:        There's also a pretty lady at the front desk!

Woman at desk:  Welcome back!

Comment:        I hear the star **nomoto **na**-chan lives there, too!
        [The name is not given fully.]

Comment:        A while back, the rent was so obscenely high I wasn't
                able to afford a place here.

Naoko:          He really is a prince! Wow...

Narration:      Suddenly, it seemed there was nothing for me to do.

Yoshihiro:      Well, next it's laundry!
                (No, that's embarrassing!)

Narration:      Jeans were scattered all over the floor of his room and
                hallway. It's like he takes them off as he's walking. Like a
                corpse...
                Laundry was the job of the washer and dryer, so I had free
                time! I happened to read a pre-sale issue of Jump, and was
                overcome with a feeling of superiority. When I threw it away
                after I finished reading it, the prince got angry.

Yoshihiro:      Please don't throw it away! It's got my manga in it, so take
                it out!

Naoko:          So, how about I make something to eat.

Comment:        My manager-sama and chief-chan often made me dinner. I was
                such a trouble for them then.

Narration:      Inside the refrigerator, there was nothing but milk puddings!

Yoshihiro:      I live off milk puddings.

Comment:        Morinaga-san, could there be a person who loves your milk
                puddings so much here?

Narration:      I bought some rice and cooked a rice meal for him.

Comment:        I made a delicious meal.

Narration:      He finished off half a liter in three minutes.

Yoshihiro:      More!

You can read all 4 parts here, the first part is not that interesting unless you're a SM fan but part 2 & 3 are where the fun begins.
http://www.kurozuki.com/takeuchi/punch/

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't get why people think Mario will be in Weekly Jump. The one-shot was posted in Jump Square, making it sound like that if picked up, it would be a monthly manga.

Toriko

I knew Toriko would lose against him. He used all of his best moves int he beginning. Now his demon cells will activate. Setsuna is ,ulti 100 years old.

Beelzebub

Yeah, for anyone who did not know Furuichi>Oga. Funny moment there with dumb Oga.

I don't get why people think Mario will be in Weekly Jump. The one-shot was posted in Jump Square, making it sound like that if picked up, it would be a monthly manga.

It's sort of a running gag here. People got sick of how shitty Naruto got and wanted Kishi to end the series, so he could start Mario, the concept he showed once. Now that he finally did the one-shot and it turned out to be just as bad as Naruto, some here use it as some sort of joke.

Apparently Ratman will end in this month’s issue of Shounen Ace, with 12 volumes. According to the group who scanlates Devil Survivor 2 and Yaotsukumo.

Beelzebub

lol at the Oga moment. Its time for Furuichi to suffer :D

Wynnebeck

Banned
Toriko

Granny Setsu is about to shit on some fools and Toriko nooooooo! One of these days, I wish Komatsu would get some gourmet cells implanted in himself so he could fight with that knife that girl made for him.

survivor

Banned
Can anyone do me a huge favour and post the "Are you god?!" page from fourteen? Trying to find it on google is impossible lol

This one?
U288E.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Toriko

Granny Setsu is about to shit on some fools and Toriko nooooooo! One of these days, I wish Komatsu would get some gourmet cells implanted in himself so he could fight with that knife that girl made for him.

Nah, that would be boring.

Make him focused on cooking, not fighting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You guys all had it coming. I told you like years ago if you hated Naruto you would hate Mario, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, you all had to be little wretches and make up your own baseless theories that Kishimoto is just tired of Naruto or intentionally making it bad or secretly working on Mario.

I saw it multiple times on the Internet or even in reviews of Level E (like on Animeland...)...

There's no proof that anyone ever "didn't have assistants" for anything. Its always just an "internet rumor" someone heard for anyone who writes slowly, e.g. Togashi, Miura, etc.

Kurita

It's sort of a running gag here. People got sick of how shitty Naruto got and wanted Kishi to end the series, so he could start Mario, the concept he showed once. Now that he finally did the one-shot and it turned out to be just as bad as Naruto, some here use it as some sort of joke.
I think the guy really likes Mario though

Wiseblade

Naruto
Ugh.

You guys all had it coming. I told you like years ago if you hated Naruto you would hate Mario, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, you all had to be little wretches and make up your own baseless theories that Kishimoto is just tired of Naruto or intentionally making it bad or secretly working on Mario.

Who was saying this? Show me the recipts.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm reading some Monster right now and I'm wondering, was Urasawa ever in Germany? Any explanation why he picked that city?

Not sure, but if I had to speculate, its because Japanese Brain Surgeons are actually not that uncommon in Germany since Japan produces a lot of brain surgeons, who then tend to go overseas.

I'm sure he just wanted to have a Stranger in a Strange Land thing going, since that tends to drive the plot in some ways.

(fake edit: Why did I pull a Brandon Sanderson with this post and capitalize a bunch of random words?)

Naruto
Ugh.

Who was saying this? Show me the recipts.

To continue my speculation, you.

Monster 6-8, end of Vol 1.

Inspector Lunge seems really silly with his schtick. It's hard to take him seriously.

I must say, while I like the writing, I don't see anything great in this. The setting is interesting, because it's something different at least, but the art is okay at best and there's little atmosphere yet. I also think this is the point where I stopped watching the anime out of boredom. It must've been right before the reveal.

survivor

Banned
These Emma extra stories are really good. Jumping back and forth between different characters and places gives more freedom and is very refreshing than just reading a singular storyline focusing primarily on Emma and William. A Bride's Story kinda does similar thing to a point, but I hope at the end of it, the manga gets similar treatment.

Angry Grimace

One Piece
...Is in full on "hard to read" mode. At least Oda has an excuse. Luffy's dedication to the masquerade is pretty funny.

I don't remember ever saying anything about Mario, or even caring about it a little.

This is code for "I don't want or feel the need to go look it up but it happened deal with it"

Aizo

Banned
Check out some of these:

Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa / Legend of the Strongest Man, Kurosawa
Good-bye (TATSUMI Yoshihiro)
Kami no Kodomo / Gods Child
Sekai no Owari to Yoakemae / Before Dawn and the End of the World
Samehada-Otoko to Momojiri-Onna / Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl

I've read Good-bye (I quite like Tatsumi) and Sekai no Owari to Yoakemae (because Asano is fantastic) but I've not read the others. I loved Kaiji, so I'm sure I'll enjoy Kurosawa! Thank you!

dramatis

Haha, never knew Naoko Takeuchi's autobiographical manga got translated. It depicts what she did after finishing up Sailor Moon and how she and Togashi met and how they got together. I'm sure it often as not exaggerates things a little but it's fun as hell to read, Togashi is boss at everything :lol

You can read all 4 parts here, the first part is not that interesting unless you're a SM fan but part 2 & 3 are where the fun begins.
http://www.kurozuki.com/takeuchi/punch/
Togashi sounds pretty awful!

Akito

Shingeki no Kyojin 45
Mikasa ;_;
Hannes was great this time and thank god Hanji didn't kick the bucket and thanks to her there's even a glimpse of hope. I kinda like this development, it should let the 4 human titans have a private talk. Conny looked pretty badass for a moment there.

Aizo

Banned
Togashi himself explained he had health problems during the serialization of Yû Yû Hakusho.

Please don't use circumflexes; use macrons. Circumflexes haven't been used in Japanese transliteration for years. I actually think circumflexes look very cool, though :(

Kurita

Hoozuki no Reitetsu
BnKtQHS.jpg

So we follow the daily life of Hoozuki who works in Hell. Employee shortages, office love triangles involving dogs...
Oh and obviously we get to see the interactions with Heaven, and how they try to get along. It's basically a slice of life manga in Hell.
It's pretty funny, light-hearted and has a quite neat art style.
It almost makes you want to visit Hell, which seems to be a friendly and welcoming place after all.

Please don't use circumflexes; use macrons. Circumflexes haven't been used in Japanese transliteration for years. I actually think circumflexes look very cool, though :(

They're almost always used in France, my Japanese teacher uses them when she writes words in romajis.

survivor

Banned
Hoozuki no Reitetsu
http://i.imgur.com/BnKtQHS.jpg[IMG]
So we follow the daily life of Hoozuki who works in Hell. Employee shortages, office love triangles involving dogs...
Oh and obviously we get to see the interactions with Heaven, and how they try to get along. It's basically a slice of life manga in Hell.
It's pretty funny, light-hearted and has a quite neat art style.
It almost makes you want to visit Hell, which seems to be a friendly and welcoming place after all.[/QUOTE]
The only reason I ever want to read this manga is because of this awesome looking character
[quote][img]http://i.imgur.com/Amb1Svl.jpg?1

The only problem is I don't know when she appears and I don't the translations are there yet :(

Kurita

The only reason I ever want to read this manga is because of this awesome looking character

The only problem is I don't know when she appears and I don't the translations are there yet :(

There are only 4 chapters translated so far. A new group/guy picked it up recently and released the chapters last week. I guess we can expect relatively fast releases.

I would if there was a convenient macron key on my keyboard, but there isn't. The circumflex key is right there though, so!
(I really don't see how my using circumflexes could be an actual problem for you though)

It's not much of a problem, but more like a "omg, this is wrong, fix this" on his part.

Stinky

Holy shit, that is bad. And I thought my apartment gets messy at times. No wonder he gets sick.

Reading the transcript made me cringe so bad. Don't know what kind of wooing Togashi must have done to win her over with that first impression. She didnt seem to mind, sitting down and reading Jump lol.

Do we ever see List and etc ever again in the series? I feel we barely got to even know them.

EDIT: You watch the anime only right? Very mild manga spoilers below.

I think List served his purpose but I guess since he is Ging's friend we will probably see him again, if only a cameo like all of Gon's friends at the hospital.

I want to see Chrollo again. I thought the part of the Chimera ant arc with the Spiders was kinda lame and ever since the end of Greed Island when Hisoka left with the Nen Remover we've heard nothing from him.

Village

Soul Catchers. It has everything that makes a good manga, imo.

what kind of genre are you looking for?

Eh I would like some more Jump esque prime realistate battle manga in my life> KHR died and there is a hole in my heart.
You know the type

As long as it isn't like one piece.

Some funny stuff. Or something weird

I love BOBOBO-BO-BOBOBO.
1-punch man.
JOJO

And Something smart , Ghost in the shell SAC and ghost hound can only facilitate my exposion-ey codec conversation-eqsque itch for so long.
I really liked bakuman

A good sports manga
I haven't read one since eyeshield 21

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Shinya Shokudo 3

Aw. :( Didn't expect that to happen to the enka singer.

Gotta say though, I love the depiction of simple comfort foods in this manga. Weiner dogs with rice, leftover curry and rice with bonito and soy sauce. So refreshing after reading cooking mangas about super fancy food. One of my favourite styles of eating as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom