• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does 7 Seeds change that dramatically, or does it just get better? I can at least see the potential in many series with slow starts, but it's tough to imagine me liking this unless it essentially becomes something else.

Just keep in mind that there are more people and protagonists than you're seeing now. It changes its tone and does get better. I don't know what you're expecting or what you think will happen, though. The beginning can be a bit confusing and well, tedious. Like I said, it wasn't the best way to start this manga.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Finish the part about Team Winter before you give up on the series, the Team Winter portion is a better example of where the series is going then Team Summer B and Spring early chapters.

Attack on Titan 45

Mikasa is best waifu, all she wants is to be by your side. Really enjoyed the chapter overall, glad to see the military police are going to join the fray to be titan food next chapter. Hopefully we get the answers were looking for from the combined team of Reyner, Ymir, and Crista

I find it amusingly ironic that Mikasa has freakish Asian strength. Its like a reverse world from Eyeshield.

Yeah it fits in the tune with the Germanic theme they're going for. Perhaps if they ever go outside the wall, they'll encounter places like Rome, Africa, and Asia. And just finished the latest Shingeki chapter. I like it, but eh. It was alright.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah it fits in the tune with the Germanic theme they're going for. Perhaps if they ever go outside the wall, they'll encounter places like Rome, Africa, and Asia. And just finished the latest Shingeki chapter. I like it, but eh. It was alright.

At the very least it makes sense there wouldn't be a tremendous amount of racial variation given the manner in which the people live (a giant constructed wall in a single place).

I'm still wondering if the people in the Outpost towns along Wall Maria are still in there.

Does 7 Seeds change that dramatically, or does it just get better? I can at least see the potential in many series with slow starts, but it's tough to imagine me liking this unless it essentially becomes something else.

Again finish the Team Winter story and if you still aren't invested drop it then

I'm still wondering if the people in the Outpost towns along Wall Maria are still in there.

It would be impossible, even if they walled themselves in they would eventually starve out due to not being able to grow food.

Angry Grimace

Again finish the Team Winter story and if you still aren't invested drop it then

It would be impossible, even if they walled themselves in they would eventually starve out due to not being able to grow food.

I don't think they *can't* grow food in there, they just had ample space outside. Its certainly possible they stored enough for winter and then grew some more within the walls.

Another random manga in my list and i don't know how it got on it, but I'm sure many of you here have already read it.

Shinobi no Kuni 1

2wRlQWk.jpg

Based on a novel by Wada Ryou, Shinobi no Kuni brings a story that blends history and fiction as it shows the struggles happening during the 16th century in Iga, a region famous by the Iga Shinobi, the ninjas from Iga.

This is really interesting. "Super interesting" as some might say, though not in the same way most of you think. I like the time period and a story like this, combined with supernatural elements, this really intrigued me.

It's a bit of a shame about Jirobe. He seemed like a really cool guy, even if he's a bit air headed. But damn, Mumon was absolutely brutal. Ended him in one move. I already like this guy. A bit funny, lazy and yet absolutely deadly (or so it seems, he definitely got skill; how's that trope called again?). Heibe is a bit weird. I can't say I like him and this thing he has going, only fighting when he got his mask on and otherwise being a pacifist. I'd say it did cost him his brother's life. But the way the battle ended was just cruel, though I suppose that's how it was done back then (I'm not an expert).

SChnzFK.jpg

The art is relatively rough and unpolished, I really didn't like the first pages, but as the battle continued, I noticed how "fluid" it seemed and how the movements translated really well, even if a bit too stylized. I really like it. It's not pretty, sometimes even a bit boring, but I like following the panels and movements. Perhaps it would work a bit better as an anime.

Stinky

I'm reading volume 6 of 7Seeds right now, kinda annoyed that Aramaki,
the survivor of the winter team
shaved and went from old man to young shoujo pretty boy.

Doesnt help that at least two other characters look like him now.

that's hard to believe but I'll give it a try

also Shinobi no Kuni is cool, I started reading it based on some Kurita Impressions™
No, seriously, 7 Seeds is pretty good. One of the best I've read so far, but I try not to mention it too often, because I haven't read/completed many manga so far. But yeah, you should totally read it.

Another random manga in my list and i don't know how it got on it.

Shinobi no Kuni 1

2wRlQWk.jpg

This is really interesting. "Super interesting" as some might say, though not in the same way most of you think. I like the time period and a story like this, combined with supernatural elements, this really intrigued me.

It's a bit of a shame about Jirobe. He seemed like a really cool guy, even if he's a bit air headed. But damn, Mumon was absolutely brutal. Ended him in one move. I already like this guy. A bit funny, lazy and yet absolutely deadly (or so it seems, he definitely got skill; how's that trope called again?). Heibe is a bit weird. I can't say I like him and this thing he has going, only fighting when he got his mask on and otherwise being a pacifist. I'd say it did cost him his brother's life. But the way the battle ended was just cruel, though I suppose that's how it was done back then (I'm not an expert).

SChnzFK.jpg

The art is relatively rough and unpolished, I really didn't like the first pages, but as the battle continued, I noticed how "fluid" it seemed and how the movements translated really well, even if a bit too stylized. I really like it. It's not pretty, sometimes even a bit boring, but I like following the panels and movements. Perhaps it would work a bit better as an anime.

It's gewd.

I don't think they *can't* grow food in there, they just had ample space outside. Its certainly possible they stored enough for winter and then grew some more within the walls.

As I recall they pretty much made the 4 "outer wall cities" pretty much wall to wall residential houses so that a mass amount of people could live in one space like a massive apartment building. This would draw the Titans to only 4 sections of the wall so that it'd be easier to repel Titans/repair the wall. If that's the case there wouldn't be any real room for growing food and over the course of 5 years the supplies would run out.

Kenichi

Chapter started out sweet and awesome all around.

THEN DAT ENDING!

Holy..... I was speechless.

Damn I think this is the first time I've felt heartbroken for a character in a long time.

This flashback is gonna be hard to stomach I'm sure.

But wow Kenichi had the best chapter this week.

scy

Kenichi

Damn I think this is the first time I've felt heartbroken for a character in a long time.

This flashback is gonna be hard to stomach I'm sure.

I'm reminded of his talk with Kenichi about how his situation worked out compared to Kenichi's.

Now I'm extra sad.

fuck.

vareon

Shingeki no Kyojin

Nice to see a non-intense chapter for a while. I also hope for more revelations next month. Also: epic ration eating time.

FEdFA5l.png

Bakuman v 19 (161 - 168)

Wow come August I guess v20 (final) will make this the first Viz manga that I would own in full and one that Ive been following from their first release of it (v 1 August 2010). All the other series I follow from viz seem to have no ending in site (BLue Exorcist, Toriko, Naruto, Bleach, Psyren, Ultimo, Tegami Bachi). It will join Spiral and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles on my completed shelf, nice.

Anyway, always was mixed on this plot as in the anime it just seemed odd to me to see folks reactions to voice actors and their lives but understand I guess if it was one of my idols, though Id never sell all my stuff of theirs or burn it or say bad things about them like that. Anime had omitted Fukuda's appearance so having some new fresh material here was really pleasing and exciting.

Draft storyboards between the chapters had addressed one of my concerns about how manga paneling is done, drawing scenes when they focus only on the mouth and if it was the artists or writer who decided that, I guess.

7 Seeds

The problem with 7 Seeds is that it starts with a very cliche'd shoujo beginning. I guess it had to do this to appeal to the readers considering it's from a shoujo magazine. Then it starts to really branch out, and turns into one of the best post-apocalyptic book/comic I've read.

Get to the winter arc. The manga hits its stride starting from there and it just gets better and better after.

Kuroko no Basket 212

Should have waited longer for another translation because this was barely readable.

Still though its nice seeing Kuroko slowly turning out to be the "heart" of the team by being the one who mediates between the other guys.

Amai Yuuwaku (one shot)
tumblr_mmm17aiDnq1qbxqfpo1_500.png

A sweet temptation and a whole premise around what part of the person you love would eat the most...was really touching and good. The sweets (chocolate fountain) looked delicious but then the actual action, was basically an awesome and great description of the ideal appearance Id want to meet, good.

I'm reading volume 6 of 7Seeds right now, kinda annoyed that Aramaki,
the survivor of the winter team
shaved and went from old man to young shoujo pretty boy.

Doesnt help that at least two other characters look like him now.

He was 17, he's only 27 when he meets the other team.

Slam Dunk 186 - 190

Outside of the matches the manga is really sleep inducing. Rukawa's issue could have lasted longer than two chapters and served more than just providing a snippet of background for the coach :/

survivor

Banned
Cat Street vol 1
oLNzizn.jpg

Japanese cover sucks, so I went with this superior one. The French versions look more cheerful.

Shoujo series about a school for students who can't fit into society. The main characters are four social outcasts: Keito, who flopped as a child actor and locked herself away from friends, Kouichi, the programmer who doesn't like to go outside?, Momiji, a fashion designer with terrible clothes, and Rei, the famous soccer player. As far as first volumes go, this was pretty good. There is a certain level of drama that allows for interesting conflicts, but doesn't go overboard to silly events. The main character's life, Keito, got ruined by being a child actor and made her a recluse which makes up for a fun storyline to see her try to integrate back into society and open up to others around her especially after getting betrayed at a young age. The other characters problems never really got expanded on, but they were handled with care so they never felt over the top. The pacing was quite good as the story never got bogged down by too many dialogue panels that go nowhere. While some of the common tropes are around, I think the first volume managed to avoid being yet another high school romance shoujo by offering a unique settings and characters, and having some clever writing with brisk pacing.

I found this very amusing. Not that often I see manga that shows bunch of code and this is supposedly done by the computer genius, Kouichi. At least Youko Kamio copy pasted bunch of code instead of writing gibberish, even though this is just trivial task to write to a file.
Q6Tvcu8.jpg

Lain

Cat Street vol 1
http://i.imgur.com/oLNzizn.jpg
Japanese cover sucks, so I went with this superior one. The French versions look more cheerful.

Shoujo series about a school for students who can't fit into society. The main characters are four social outcasts: Keito, who flopped as a child actor and locked herself away from friends, Kouichi, the programmer who doesn't like to go outside?, Momiji, a fashion designer with terrible clothes, and Rei, the famous soccer player. As far as first volumes go, this was pretty good. There is a certain level of drama that allows for interesting conflicts, but doesn't go overboard to silly events. The main character's life, Keito, got ruined by being a child actor and made her a recluse which makes up for a fun storyline to see her try to integrate back into society and open up to others around her especially after getting betrayed at a young age. The other characters problems never really got expanded on, but they were handled with care so they never felt over the top. The pacing was quite good as the story never got bogged down by too many dialogue panels that go nowhere. While some of the common tropes are around, I think the first volume managed to avoid being yet another high school romance shoujo by offering a unique settings and characters, and having some clever writing with brisk pacing.

I found this very amusing. Not that often I see manga that shows bunch of code and this is supposedly done by the computer genius, Kouichi. At least Youko Kamio copy pasted bunch of code instead of writing gibberish, even though this is just trivial task to write to a file.
http://i.imgur.com/Q6Tvcu8.jpg?1

I remember reading some praise for this one on another forum I used to visit and I've been a bit curious about it.

Cat Street vol 1
oLNzizn.jpg

Q6Tvcu8.jpg

wow its funny that I actually understand most of that code (a few missing close brackets though iirc).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Programming using a Japanese Locale?

Fucking lol.

survivor

Banned
I remember reading some praise for this one on another forum I used to visit and I've been a bit curious about it.
First volume is pretty good, you should definitely check it out.

wow its funny that I actually understand most of that code (a few missing close brackets though iirc).
C blows.

Programming using a Japanese Locale?

Fucking lol.

I'm surprised that the backslash got replaced by the Yen character. Really a weird and a pointless choice.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I need Japanese Locale to play some of my *ahem* games but it makes cmd.exe look so ugly :(

upandaway

I need Japanese Locale to play some of my *ahem* games but it makes cmd.exe look so ugly :(
Don't you just need it to install games? For playing you can just use the applocale thing.

Shingeki no Kyojin

As long as Ymir is there, I'm calm. I wonder how much of what she knows is in sync with Ryner. The "obvious" speculation would be that she's from the same background Ryner and Bert are, but she ran away sometime midway (and maybe that's why her titan form is so... normal), hiding until now. But I dunno.

I don't think I agree with you guys saying Eren won't listen for an explanation. Ryner is, like, the only person in the entire series who can hold a conversation with Eren without Eren flipping out sideways. He's pretty good at handling him.

My manga gaf bros watch this One Piece AMV, its really frigging good it pretty much condenses all the arcs right up Marineford in just 6mins using pirates of the Caribbean music.

7 seeds 11

I really dislike the art, and the chapter are so unappealing that it took me 20 minutes to read. I flipped through different sites when reading it. Anyway Arashi and Natsu have separated from the group. I hope Arashi meets with Hana soon, so i can see the reaction.

Soma

I Am A Hero 118-130

As interesting as the different point of view is, I really wish Hanazawa would shift the narrative focus back to Suzuki as I really don't give a shit about any of these people in Kurusu's group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom