• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai

Kure-nai End

That was very uneventful ending for the manga. I wonder if it was the some for the novel.
Hasn't the LN been on an extended hiatus? I don't think it's been properly wrapped up.

[EDIT] - Yep, since '08. Though MU lists it as "Complete". It's adaptations ended the way they did because they ran out of material, it seems.

upandaway

tumblr_mml6t8hRTE1r7c87xo1_1280.jpg

The Yume Nikki manga adaptation will be drawn by Hitoshi Tomizawa, author of Alien 9 and Milk Closet. Jesus, that's the most perfect fit possible.
I really don't know whether I should read this or not (well, given the option)... I still plan on playing the game sometime, and I still somehow managed to stay almost completely blind to it.

I can actually see a really cheap way to get people here to read Soul Catchers.

Why are you asking this. Are you telling DTL it's okay to post all the pixiv he can find of Luffy and Ace and Ichigo and Aizen and all the Kuroko stuff.

He can bring it.

Since Going Merry was apparently sentient, is there any rule34 pics about it. I mean Luffy sure likes sitting on his head.

Mael

Fairy Tail

I think somehow he can do worse than that.
I don't know if we're missing anything though.
Nothing happened, stupid power on a ridiculously strong opponent that's supposed to be taken seriously.
I don't know if I ever read a worse chapter but this one is for the archive.

tumblr_mml6t8hRTE1r7c87xo1_1280.jpg

The Yume Nikki manga adaptation will be drawn by Hitoshi Tomizawa, author of Alien 9 and Milk Closet. Jesus, that's the most perfect fit possible.

Whoa, there's a manga adaptation coming? And it's getting an actual established artist? Damn, that's pretty cool.

Darwin's Game 3

tumblr_mmlawzPaSB1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The monetary prize is pretty high for this game and no wonder Banda-kun was after it...but the huge cost to pay for losing is too much to endure. Quite intense, I think.

Metro police may need some insider help to really get down to this, unless, one of the officers is also going to be a player.

Interesting.

And I never thought of that.

Why would you do this?

What have you done.

You are a dangerous being, even more dangerous than DTL.

I've heard wood can stretch rubber quite well.

Nononononononononononononono get out of my head

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Blame Oda for creating Ivankov and the Horm-Horm Fruit. Now the Rule 63 artwork NEVER STOPS.

Fairy Tail

I think somehow he can do worse than that.
I don't know if we're missing anything though.
Nothing happened, stupid power on a ridiculously strong opponent that's supposed to be taken seriously.
I don't know if I ever read a worse chapter but this one is for the archive.

The we borrow the power of tomorrow, and Erza´s fight against earth guy guy were much worse than this. Besides the way that they will defeat dragons will be the worst of all.

Soul Catchers 1 (raw)

51nwCq8.jpg

Shouta Kamine (stupid hair kid) can see the state of people's hearts. Originally he thought this ability would allow him to be skillful at human relations; instead, seeing the true feelings of others only brought him pain and disappointment, since he lacked the ability to actually change people. Hibiki Tokisaka (sax kid) is a 'musical genius'. Without knowing it, he has the ability to change hearts through his music.

The story of the pilot:
Kamine, who sees Tokisaka's school performance, confronts Tokisaka about his ability to change people's hearts. Startled by Kamine's questions, Tokisaka brings Kamine to see Momoko, his childhood friend. Once a talented vocalist, Momoko is now catatonic after losing her ability to sing and feeling despondent after surgery. After some drama, Kamine and Tokisaka combine their abilities and pull Momoko out of her depression.

The visual representations of hearts as Kamine sees them is fun. The mangaka starts small by showing how a girl's heart is a closed door to another guy's advances, or a heart dressed as a detective when one person is doubting another, and so on. Then things got more tangible: a sea of water to show Momoko's despondence, culminating the bizarrely actiony 'attacks' used by Tokisaka in the last attempt to bring Momoko back to the world.

Because of the character design and a general familiarity with 'tropes', there's no way of viewing this manga without seeing all the derp stuff. In the first half I thought the concept might have done better with subtlety, and serializing in Jump was its misfortune. Towards the end I thought that this is bizarre and hilarious enough that I can accept it for what it is. The characters don't look particularly fabulous, but some of the art on the later pages is pretty good.

First time I've seen Twitter directly mentioned in manga dialogue.

Recommendation level: DTL. First chapter is worth a read; whether or not the manga turns into something better or sinks into hell is a coinflip. There's quite a lot of DRAMA though.

Sounds like a pretty fantastic opening chapter with good teamwork friendship drama. Hope I get to read it (please surprise us on monday viz...) as it seems like Mutou Black and Smoky BB may have a difficult time following and presenting as nearly a good opening as this.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
You mean the fact that he drew genderswapped versions of the strawhats himself, thus making them legit.

That too.
But once Ivankov revealed he can change genders, the genderswap artwork EXPLODED.

It's okay. I like Toriko. It's not the greatest but it's a lot of fun. Certainly more enjoyable than most of the crap that's in Jump now.

Akito

That too.
But once Ivankov revealed he can change genders, the genderswap artwork EXPLODED.
You've got it backwards, Ivankov got introduced -> fans requested that Oda draw the genderswapped strawhats -> he obliged -> the fanarts exploded because the fans now had official designs to work with and the strawhats are by far the most popular characters anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom