• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hate downloading modified utility programs because the original utility programs were too shit.

Kurita

The Manga News twitter account will stop.
As it was a really great source of information I wonder how some others websites will survive without it :lol

7 seeds 11

I really dislike the art, and the chapter are so unappealing that it took me 20 minutes to read. I flipped through different sites when reading it. Anyway Arashi and Natsu have separated from the group. I hope Arashi meets with Hana soon, so i can see the reaction.

You haven't even reached the Team Winter arc and if you keep reading at this pace, you'll turn 50 before you do. Damn, 20 minutes for 27 pages.

Kurita

Hoozuki no Reitetsu 5
530Ckyq.png

Deep.

Shinobi no Kuni 2-3

ngIbBIN.jpg

I really like Mumon and Bungo. I'm still a bit on the fence about Heibe, but his messenger job should be interesting and now that Bungo is going with him, he might even show more than one side of his character.

Seeing Mumon getting bossed around by Okuni is really hilarious.

I really like the art. There are even more panels I'd love to post than I thought after reading the first chapter. But don't worry, I won't. <3

Aizo

Banned
Is anyone current in Hajime no Ippo? I've wondered if a boxing manga could stay excellent for such a long time.

Sai

Is anyone current in Hajime no Ippo? I've wondered if a boxing manga could stay excellent for such a long time.
Yep. Kind of drags occasionally, and there are some pretty ridiculous fight conclusions... But, the manga's still got it's high points.

The recent match with Vorg was pretty great.

Aizo

Banned
Yep. Kind of drags occasionally, and there are some pretty ridiculous fight conclusions... But, the manga's still got it's high points.

The recent match with Vorg was pretty great.

That's quite impressive. The longest series I read is One Piece, so Ippo's length is intimidating...

7 seeds 11

I really dislike the art, and the chapter are so unappealing that it took me 20 minutes to read. I flipped through different sites when reading it. Anyway Arashi and Natsu have separated from the group. I hope Arashi meets with Hana soon, so i can see the reaction.

7 Seeds is the best currently serialized manga by no small margin.

But it doesn't start that way.

Shinobi no Kuni 4-6

Heibe betraying Iga is not that surprising, but almost killing off Bungo was kinda unnecessary. I thought he is an interesting balance to Mumon. Anyway, Tsuge playing Lord Nobukatsu was a nice, I really like this kind of political intrigues. The plan to invade Iga is also a nice one. Nothing blinds people like money, even when they get the obvious thing shouted at them by the enemy (that damn Daizen).

Kurita

Cromartie High School
xSw2wR4.jpg

Are you a bad enough dude to read this manga? Are you?
An hilarious parody of delinquent mangas, where everyone tries to prove that he's a badass. If you like absurd mangas like Gintama or Bobobo (I do) it's perfect.
It's over the top, some stuff just doesn't make sense and in the end you just laugh your ass off all the time. It never stops, there's always a stupid comment, a situation that make you go "WTF?"...
The MC does his best to survive in a high school filled with punks, a robot, a Freddie Mercury look-alike or even a gorilla.
Yes, a gorilla.

Akito

Mix 11
More Touch cameos, nice. So that coach knows exactly that Touma is a more than capable pitcher but is forced to use Nikaidou. It doesn't make it any less annonying though.

Shinobi no Kuni 7-10, end of Vol 2.

O8xWCd5.jpg

Hahaha, this was a fantastic play by Iga. Really loved it. I guess it felt a bit cheap that Heibe's father was all like "I've planned this form the very beginning, all according to keikaku", but it fits with the political setting, so I don't mind it. They even took Daizen into consideration, but I'm glad this is going to backfire in the long-run. With Heibe on his side, this might get really interesting for Mumon.

oD4XWgK.png

I love Mumon's simple face that gets thrown in every now and then, especially during the more serious scenes. It's kind of funny and sweet how Okuni is the only thing that drives him. Working on the construction side or assassinate people, as long as he gets money to please her, it's fine.

4Tq3XXn.jpg

He's such a great character. I'd love to see him animated.

Tegami Bachi Letter Bee v13 (50 - 54)

Dr. Thunderland said exactly what I would say about the volume, what happened to all my younger characters and what not and poor Lag, Zazie, Conner, who barely got any time on panels (though Zazie got the most epic appearance with Jiggy Pepper, best panel even if it was the final page of the volume). All these old men and soon to be old Lloyd Largo. Not that it was bad as all these reveals worked to change my opinion on Akatsuki, as well as Hazel and Garrard. I want to know so much more about their world, the artificial son, the human experimentation and etc, August must hurry.

Oh and the Shidanjuu, Partitia, really detailed and nice.

survivor

Banned
A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
iGExHNLfxrc36.jpg

Good collection of short stories covering some of Hagio's work over the past 30 years. The stories ranged from sci-fi to romance and to completely bizarre and weird ones. Most of them were really interesting exploring very different themes which made this a very strong collection of oneshots. Surprisingly enough the main story, A Drunken Dream didn't end up being the best one. While it had an interesting concept about tragic life and cycle of death before meeting your loved one, the way the story flowed was very confusing. However, the story was all in colour and Hagio's colouring is fantastic so it made it worthwhile.

The best stories were Hanshin: Half-God which gave a good perspective about self-sacrifice, and identity about twins attached at the hip. My other favourite story was Iguana Girl which while had a ridicolous concept, it turned out that it was a very personal story and the mother character in the story was basically based on Hagio's mother. Then there is The Willow Tree, a story consisting of almost no dialogue but told in a simple two panels per page layout showing the life of a single boy as he grows up while being watched by the woman under the tree. Very good twist at the end.

While most of the stories were worth reading, the best part really about this manga is the great 18 pages interview with Moto Hagio conducted by Matt Thorn. And this isn't one of the terrible manga interviews where they only give lame one liner answers and show almost no interested. Hagio went in details in almost all her answers and showed great enthusiasm. The interview basically went over her early life, her parents hatred of job, the opposition against early shoujo manga, members of the Forty-Niners, the origin of BL manga, and her inspirations.

One neat little detail that I never knew about is that basically at the time all the interesting shoujo stories were always rejected in favour of cliched shoujo stories about girls trying to find their lost mother and having amnesia. However, one editor, Junya Yamamoto basically didn't give a damn about any of the preconceived notions of girls stories and encouraged people like Hagio or Takemiya to write interesting and unique stories that were controversial at the time.

I found this part amusing while she was talking about how most editors just never got girls comics and exposing the incompetence of the judges at manga awards.
Hagio: You know, serving as a judge for the Tezuka Awards, I find myself thinking, "Men are just incapable of reading girls' comics." [Laughter.] It's the same when I'm judging the Shogakukan Awards. They have four categories: children's, boys', girls', and adult, or rather "general." In the children's, boys', and general categories, there aren't any major divisions in opinion, but as soon as discussion turns into girls' comics, more than half of the men say "I just don't get it. I'll have one of my [female] assistants read them." [Laughs.] "I didn't get it, so I asked my wife for her opinion."

Shinobi no Kuni, 11-13

I love this, I need more ninja/samurai stories like this, in a realistic setting, but still with small jutsus (mostly manipulating people, disappearing in the smoke and things like that and no fireballs and giant enemy crabs) and politics.

It's so great to see the Council's plan blowing up right in their face. I almost felt sorry for Bungo, the poor guy has such a blood lust and can't participate in the war. Mumon's decision to join after all understandable, but maybe I would've preferred a time skip, where his decision haunts him later on. But the fight against Daizen and/or Heibe has to happen, I guess.

survivor

Banned
The Sweet Alien manga is oddly cute and touching.

News is the only reason to use twitter? I like looking at peoples random reactions to anime/manga, anime/manga pr's of posters and their stuff, and I guess finding more fanarts.

There are bunch of other people that post some cool stuff (almost no manga/anime related, don't really know any good non company feeds to follow), but nothing beats waking up in the morning and seeing my timeline getting spammed with various magazine/volume covers and random manga news.

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S is very good. I watched first season and i liked it.

The problem with Magi and why it needs a shake up to go back on track

I hate the way Magi has gone in the last few months. I think this is no surprise because I've been calling it garbage for a while now. Why is this the case though? What went wrong? I think the fact is that the manga has lost its way and is trying to pander to an audience it doesn't need to, and is hence rapidly losing its unique identity.

Magi is not a typical shounen fight manga. Or at least, it wasn't. It wasn't about characters fighting each other, but rather about journeying together to discover more about the world together. The author created three solid perspectives for this - Aladdin the Magi whose mysterious origins are a window to the nature of this world, Alibaba the begger prince whose life experiences and ambitions form the foundation of a potential world leader who could be a force of good, and Mor the slave warrior of a scattered tribe who seeks to discover her heritage and change the world as the world changed her.

This was all great stuff. But somehow, after tons of build-up and using all 3 characters to expand the scope of the world by going their separate ways, the manga completely drops the ball by abandoning all that in favor for the worst sort of "world event" possible. The laziest and most uninteresting sort. A shounen "war" arc which isn't really a war but rather a few named characters beam spamming everything to show how powerful they are. Not just for 5 chapters, not just for 10 chapters, it just goes on and on.

Characters posing, random explosions, large number of unnamed "soldiers" looking in horror and going "OMG THEY ARE SO STRONG!". This is stupid. It's not why I started reading Magi, and it's not why I continued reading Magi. It's the complete opposite. To make things worse, it completely abandoned the potential for having an actual interesting war arc where 3 characters represent 3 different perspectives, and actually show the progression of a war and valid opinions and strategies, instead of being Hero units just shattering the battlefield.

- We haven't seen Mor in almost 40 chapters. That's about 10 months.

- Alibaba's training and experiences in the Colosseum amount to nothing because he's just some Super Saiyan armored dude now. Plus he had nothing to contribute at all to the Relm perspective, and basically just hopped on the boat to get back into Aladdin's pants.

- All the characters they have introduced along the way serve no purpose other than to be flashy new armored dudes shouting special attacks and creating explosions while posing. It's stupid and boring. There is no story progression either because they're just fighting some intangible force created for the excuse of action. There are no longer any narrative objectives or interesting story elements to look forward to in this arc.

- The manga has completely lost the plot and thrown away all the interesting things about itself in favor of becoming the generic competition which it tried to set itself apart from at the start. Wasteful, tragic, and pathetic honestly.

Adventure for the sake of adventure is worthless. There should be an overall reaching plot and a goal that the adventure should moves towards. We know that aladdin was "created" to balance the rukh and that´s the whole plot of the manga, and Al Sarmen want to plunge the world into depravity. So a war between the 2 and their allies is inevitable. The war between the Kou and Raem is inevitable in the struggle for control and expanding ones power. So a shonen war arc critic for a result that everyone knows and expected is really not in its place when it´s a foregone conclusion that war is going to happen one way or another with different factions.

I do agree with you about Mor though. It´s ridiculous that she has been absent for so long, and while both Aladdin and Alibaba got their training chapters, we got robbed from seeing Mor exploring and learning about the Dark Continent. I really hope that the manga elaborate about that in details, since it will be a new world building materials and a big chance for development for Mor.

Shinobi no Kuni 14-16, end of Vol 3.

Lef5giN.jpg

As always, money is the motivation that keeps people going. I didn't expect Mumon to turn the war like that and I'm not sure how I feel about this. But he's definitely the greatest ninja of Iga, goddamn. Absolutely frightening and skillful.

Cromartie High School
xSw2wR4.jpg

Are you a bad enough dude to read this manga? Are you?
An hilarious parody of delinquent manga mangas, where everyone tries to prove that he's a badass. If you like absurd mangas like Gintama or Bobobo (I do) it's perfect.
It's over the top, some stuff just doesn't make sense and in the end you just laugh your ass off all the time. It never stops, there's always a stupid comment, a situation that make you go "WTF?"...
The MC does his best to survive in a high school filled with punks, a robot, a Freddie Mercury look-alike or even a gorilla.
Yes, a gorilla.

As much as I love the anime, the manga is WAY too wordy. It shouldn't take 10 minutes to read a chapter half the length of a normal one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom