• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to check the first chapter of Bleach again and then saw this. I didn't know this was translated.

Bleach one-shot

urP63oc.png

This was rather interesting. The concept is obviously very similar, but with minor differences, like human-looking hollows (without masks), tickets to soul society, Rukia losing her powers and shrinking, Orihimie's father attacks her, instead of her brother and the best part that didn't make it: Orihime died.

Big One

Banned
Drawing too much shit per panel and pretending to know foreign languages?
How exactly does One Piece have too much shit on one panel? Do you even read the average comic? This is what I don't get about this complaint with the series, I see it all the time in American comics and it works perfectly fine there as it does in One Piece. Short reading attentions everywhere.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How exactly does One Piece have too much shit on one panel? Do you even read the average comic? This is what I don't get about this complaint with the series, I see it all the time in American comics and it works perfectly fine there as it does in One Piece. Short reading attentions everywhere.

If I wanted to talk about the average American comic, I'd be in that thread. Meaning, no I don't read American comics at all.

Big One

Banned
If I wanted to talk about the average American comic, I'd be in that thread. Meaning, no I don't read American comics at all.
Well in my opinion, you shouldn't even be discussing what constitutes as too much on a panel. There's no such thing as too much or too less on a panel, ever. It's all about what type of feel the manga is trying to depict, which in One Piece's case is pretty much complete chaos. I'm not sure how this is even remotely an issue unless you literally forget what happens on the previous pages as you read on.

I went to check the first chapter of Bleach again and then saw this. I didn't know this was translated.

Bleach one-shot

urP63oc.png

This was rather interesting. The concept is obviously very similar, but with minor differences, like human-looking hollows (without masks), tickets to soul society, Rukia losing her powers and shrinking, Orihimie's father attacks her, instead of her brother and the best part that didn't make it: Orihime died.

Actually if going by that then Orihime might have become a Shinigami which might have been Kubo was aiming for.

But on that note screw you bro! Who would heal Ichigo and gang and be the deadweight without Orihime in Bleach?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well in my opinion, you shouldn't even be discussing what constitutes as too much on a panel. There's no such thing as too much or too less on a panel, ever. It's all about what type of feel the manga is trying to depict, which in One Piece's case is pretty much complete chaos. I'm not sure how this is even remotely an issue unless you literally forget what happens on the previous pages as you read on.

I don't give a shit about what you think people should be discussing.

It's not even Wednesday and the blood bath has already started, the only thing that can save us is Upandaway to start trippin balls again

Now that you mention it, his post just reminded me of something ...

What makes you think you always know it better than everyone else?

Angry Grimace

For the record, the original post about Oda's panel composition was a joke, but I guess I should have foreseen that Big One wouldn't know a joke if Richard Pryor returned from the dead, knocked on his door and delivered it personally.

For the record, the original post about Oda's panel composition was a joke, but I guess I should have foreseen that Big One wouldn't know a joke if Richard Pryor returned from the dead, knocked on his door and delivered it personally.

He'd probably tell him how wrong he is, list some examples that are, in his opinion of course, much better and them tell him to fuck off and slam the door.

Yonafunu

Well let me put it this way in realistic terms.

If Kubo redid Bleach from the start, the first arc would be 20 volumes long and most of it would be backgroundless fights between Ichigo and bullies and hollows introducing an entire cast of characters (Ichigo's schoolmates become the bad guys for this arc like Espada or Shinigami).

If Oda redid One Piece from the start, there would be 100 different characters in a single arc full of gags to tell the entirety of Luffy's trip starting in his home town till he first sets sail looking for a crew. Also gushy shit everywhere.

If Kishimoto did Naruto, Naruto would spend the entire arc crying about his dead father, Sasuke would turn evil faster, and Sakura would be a maiden rather than a ninja along with all the other female characters. Then sometime in the arc, some evil dude resurrects Naruto's dad who eventually breaks hold of the evil dude's grip and joins up with Naruto and makes Naruto the most powerful ninja of all time learning every power including having the Sharingan.

This post is a joke, right?

Stinky

Finished the 7Seeds "Summer Team A Selection Exam" arc.

Was very good. The survival bits were the kids were being picked off were excellent, the atmosphere is far more tense than the "future" bits where I'm still left in the dark about what is really happening (meteorite --> ???) and the only real threat is random mutant fish and bugs and stuff.

Blew my mind about
Hana's dad being one of the "teachers"

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

My Neighbor Yumeno-san

Nice little one-shot about a girl named Kazumi who's always looking out for her older neighbor Yumeno. While it feels a little rushed, it hit all the right notes nonetheless.

Big One

Banned
I don't? I just feel like you should have some sort of backing before you really decide what is good or bad in some form or another. Especially in something as robust as the comic medium which has hundreds of ways to depict a story. There's absolutely nothing wrong with disliking One Piece, but I'm genuinely confused on why one of the complaints is "too much going on." If you can't keep up with it, that's really the reader's problem.

Wiseblade

If Oda restarted One Piece now...

1) The Lord of the Coast would have been bigger and Shank's Haki usage more explicit.
2) Bounties would have been better paced.
3) Gaimon would have been an ex-member of Don Krieg's crew.
4) Whiskey Peak would have been slightly less confusing.

If Kubo restarted Bleach now...

1) It would be a panel-for-panel recreation of the original in his current style because he doesn't see anything wrong with anything he's done so far.
2) Every chapter would have a broken English title.

If Kishimoto restarted Naruto now...

1) Naruto would never have had goggles.
2) Shikamaru would probably get a little more exposure in the early part of the the Chunin Exams.
3) The manga would be called "Sasuke" to remove any ambiguity about who the main character is.

Naruto one-shot

2M1OBQj.png

I forgot how different this was. Naruto would be a completely different manga if it was based on this one-shot. Some concepts and designs were reused, but the world is so different. Best part of the one-shot: No Sasuke. At some point the art style reminded me of HxH. Would it be too far fetched to say that Kubo was inspired by Togashi? Like, did he admit such a thing or is there a connection between them?

Now that Kishi screwed up Mario, maybe we can hype up this version of Naruto instead and wish he went with this universe?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
WOW LOOK.

SHADING ON THE FEET.

AND HIS HAIR KIND OF OBEYS GRAVITY.

bigkrev

Naruto one-shot

2M1OBQj.png

I forgot how different this was. Naruto would be a completely different manga if it was based on this one-shot. Some concepts and designs were reused, but the world is so different. Best part of the one-shot: No Sasuke. At some point the art style reminded me of HxH. Would it be too far fetched to say that Kubo was inspired by Togashi? Like, did he admit such a thing or is there a connection between them?

Now that Kishi screwed up Mario, maybe we can hype up this version of Naruto instead and wish he went with this universe?

So inspired by this, I went and read the one shot.

I was sure I had read this before (in volume 2 or 3 I think?), but this was something entirely different. You weren't kidding when you said it would have been a completely different manga- apart from the fact that Naruto looks just like he does now, there is almost nothing in common with what we eventually got. I don't know how it would have worked out (I doubt it would have had a 10 plus year run with this concept), but it is interesting to see what might have been.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Now this thread is getting somewhere. Big One graces the place.

SDBurton where the hell you been.

3 hours until Wednesday official (For Beast Coast Members)

I'm okay.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Yeah it's been awhile haha. Been busy for a bit but I'm ready get back into the swing of things. So many delicious one-shots to be read I don't even know where to begin. XD

3 hours until Wednesday official (For Beast Coast Members)

I'm okay.

I'm glad I'm not the only east coast person here, I sometimes get the impression everyone on GAF is from another country or the west coast.

So inspired by this, I went and read the one shot.

I was sure I had read this before (in volume 2 or 3 I think?), but this was something entirely different. You weren't kidding when you said it would have been a completely different manga- apart from the fact that Naruto looks just like he does now, there is almost nothing in common with what we eventually got. I don't know how it would have worked out (I doubt it would have had a 10 plus year run with this concept), but it is interesting to see what might have been.

I really would like to see an "(old school) ninjas in a modern setting" type of story, with jutsu and all that jazz. I really don't know if and how it would work.

"Bait"? I was not aware that anything I've said is particularly outrageous or eye-catching. I'm just stating my opinion on this subject.

Its the usual song and dance (people getting riled up) when you are around.

I partly remember the Naruto oneshot and Romance Dawn (OP oneshot basically) but I don't remember reading the one for Bleach.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I really would like to see an "(old school) ninjas in a modern setting" type of story, with jutsu and all that jazz. I really don't know if and how it would work.

It exists and it's DTL approved.
JuihzK8.jpg

Big One

Banned
Its the usual song and dance (people getting riled up) when you are around .
Hey whatever floats their boat man.

I haven't posted in this thread for a while, but I have been reading it. Not to bash Angry Grimace by any means, but it seems more like to me he starts arguments for no reason just because he doesn't like the user whether I'm here or not, yet I get blamed for all the negativity in this thread when I only make one or two posts a week on average.

I'm not here to be confrontational, just laying down the opinion and you can take that however you like good or bad. If you feel like you're being "trolled," well...all I can say is that I appreciate any reaction I get.

Angry Grimace

I don't? I just feel like you should have some sort of backing before you really decide what is good or bad in some form or another. Especially in something as robust as the comic medium which has hundreds of ways to depict a story. There's absolutely nothing wrong with disliking One Piece, but I'm genuinely confused on why one of the complaints is "too much going on." If you can't keep up with it, that's really the reader's problem.

You also claimed it was the "reader's problem" if they didn't like all of 20th Century Boys. I'm going to take your opinion on what a "reader's problem" is with a grain of salt.

Big One said:
Well honestly, if you didn't like 20th Century Boys, you really only have yourself to blame for that.

survivor

Banned
How does it take them that long for a novel. At least the one novel or so that viz /sublmine is simulpublishing they were able to do 55 novel pages + 32 manga pages in a weekend/few days. (into the illusion).
The only thing I can think of is maybe Vertical has more quality control over their translations so they take their time with researching/edition over Viz which I assume they care more about speed translating for Into Illusion series. Or maybe Vertical is just hiring bad translators.

Or doujinshi by Minazuki Juuzou. He draws some gd sexy feet.
Bayonetta doujin is good stuff.

dumbyugi

This is sort of big news, isn't it? It should make a lot of readers happy, at least. I gave up on it a long time ago and even back then I was wondering why it was still going. Now I'm wondering if I should put it back on my list ...

My brother tells me the pacing has been horrible for the last arc or two and he read most of it in one hit.

Kusagari

I stopped reading Gantz back when the God aliens showed up and kept talking about how humans were worthless.

Guess I should prepare to finish it.

bigkrev

Oddly enough, I didn't even see this as a Ninja story- I saw it more as a Tanuki story. He fact that he needs a leaf to transform, the existence of a tail, the animal like nose- all traits of a Tanuki, not a ninja.

Imagine how different Naruto would have been with that fact!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom