• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Soul Catchers's art is generic bad, not generic good.

Some of the stuff running when Naruto got serialized.

Hoshin Engi
Yu-Gi-Oh
I"s
Seikimatsu Leader-den Takeshi!
One Piece
Rookies
Whistle!
Hunter × Hunter
Shaman King
Rising Impact
Hikaru no Go
ZombiePowder

Aside from ZombiePowder (lol Kubo), these were all quite popular afaik.

I never read Zombie Powder and I really wonder how (bad) it is. Four volumes doesn't seem that bad. I've read worse.

E: I'm actually surprised they gave him another shot after such a flop.

Terra Formers 28

I have a sneaking suspicion the author is so willing to kill people off because he doesn't want to have to come up with so many different types of insect abilities. Really would have liked to see the Chinese squad leader's ability.

Kurita

I never read Zombie Powder and I really wonder how (bad) it is. Four volumes doesn't seem that bad. I've read worse.

A lot of authors get another chance even after a flop.
The authors of Soul Catchers and Mutou Black (which starts this week) already had series in the WSJ a few years ago.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Everyone loves ZP because its not Bleach.

You know what would be cool? Having Oda, Kubo and Kishimoto make a new first chapter of OP, Bleach and Naruto respectively. Like, just writing and drawing a beginning chapter of a 2013 version of their manga.

Haikyuu!! 60
tumblr_mmt5f4BxoO1qbxqfpo1_250.png

We need more backstory moments, Oikawa was amazing back in the day and still is today. If he can truly lead his team to victory (as well of course with Iwaizumi too), then this would be a really phenomenal match. Then again I would want to see Kageyama truly dethrone him, but then I dont want to see either lose. Its hard to decide what would be the best story option.

Push em back, push em back, seijou > Go Seijou, Go Go Seijou.

Yonafunu

It´s much better than eyeshield 21. But it does not take much to better than that racist crap that is eyeshield 21.

never change

You know what would be cool? Having Oda, Kubo and Kishimoto make a new first chapter of OP, Bleach and Naruto respectively. Like, just writing and drawing a beginning chapter of a 2013 version of their manga.

After that Mario one-shot, no way. That thing was terrible.

After that Mario one-shot, no way. That thing was terrible.

And you think Kubo and Oda would do much better? Kubo would erase all the backgrounds and humor and Oda would try to cram as many potentially interesting characters into the panels as possible, while jumping from scene to scene.

Big One

Banned
And you think Kubo and Oda would do much better? Kubo would erase all the backgrounds and humor and Oda would try to cram as many potentially interesting characters into the panels as possible, while jumping from scene to scene.
Honestly? Yes. Both authors can at least make concise stories in the realms of a single one-shot. Mario felt like a 5-10 volume manga that was crammed into one 50 page chapter skipping all the good parts. Plus Kishimoto is pretty much writing Naruto fanfiction as official work nowadays while Oda and Kubo are pretty much doing what they've always done.

Big One

Banned
Well if you mean restarting their series, both Kubo and Oda have considerably improved over the past few years so no doubt their experience will lend them to making better manga in the future. That is if Kubo gets his stick out of his ass and stop drawing fights for like 90% on the entire manga then we're good.

Wiseblade

Honestly? Yes. Both authors can at least make concise stories in the realms of a single one-shot. Mario felt like a 5-10 volume manga that was crammed into one 50 page chapter skipping all the good parts.

I have to agree. Mario didn't feel like a One-shot, it felt like a long story that had huge chunks cut out of it and was haphazardly stuck back together. But that doesn't mean I think Kishi would "ruin" a Naruto chapter 1 redraw.

Yonafunu

I think (hope) they would do better. Bleach still has some humor left, so I don't see why that would be any different. As to Oda, I trust he still has it. Keep in mind that a pilot chapter is completely different from a chapter in the middle of the story, in pretty much every aspect. It's very hard to compare. In Kishimoto's case, we've seen how he handeled Mario, and it wasn't pretty.

Edit:

To be fair, Mario is a seperate work, and can't really be used as any indication to how a new Naruto pilot would be. My bad.

But god was it bad

Ended up listening to viz's shonen jump podcast (1)...I wonder why someone would ask if one day all the chapters of one piece would be collected in one print volume...

Anyway I liked the brief discussion of how series are picked and how long they have to work on the chapters. If only they had actual news beyond (high prob of nisekoi in print...(

Wiseblade

I think (hope) they would do better. Bleach still has some humor left, so I don't see why that would be any different. As to Oda, I trust he still has it. Keep in mind that a pilot chapter is completely different from a chapter in the middle of the story, in pretty much every aspect. It's very hard to compare. In Kishimoto's case, we've seen how he handeled Mario, and it wasn't pretty.

Kishi wasn't writing a pilot chapter for a new ongoing though. (at least, I hope he wasn't.) He just had a 500 page story to tell and crammed it into 50. That's a totally different task to creating a 50 page start to a decade long shonen.

Just read Mario today.

Did Kishi just put Sasuke as a girl with Saori? Also lol at the poorly done mafia setting.

Mario is a Yahiko clone too or was it Juugo?

Pretty violent and dark which is the only good point I can give it.

Zombie Powder is awesome BTW. You guys don't like the Zombie setting I guess because it was very well received in the West.

Anyways Kimi no Iru Machi is winning me over. Gonna start reading it.

Kishi wasn't writing a pilot chapter for a new ongoing though. (at least, I hope he wasn't.) He just had a 500 page story to tell and crammed it into 50. That's a totally different task to creating a 50 page start to a decade long shonen.

This really, it's obvious that Kishi has no plans to ever make Mario into a manga series, if he had then he would not have released a "one shot" that was basically a manga spark note. By releasing this summary of "what Mario would have been" he kind of closed the door on that completely.

Big One

Banned
To be fair, Mario is a seperate work, and can't really be used as any indication to how a new Naruto pilot would be. My bad.
Well let me put it this way in realistic terms.

If Kubo redid Bleach from the start, the first arc would be 20 volumes long and most of it would be backgroundless fights between Ichigo and bullies and hollows introducing an entire cast of characters (Ichigo's schoolmates become the bad guys for this arc like Espada or Shinigami).

If Oda redid One Piece from the start, there would be 100 different characters in a single arc full of gags to tell the entirety of Luffy's trip starting in his home town till he first sets sail looking for a crew. Also gushy shit everywhere.

If Kishimoto did Naruto, Naruto would spend the entire arc crying about his dead father, Sasuke would turn evil faster, and Sakura would be a maiden rather than a ninja along with all the other female characters. Then sometime in the arc, some evil dude resurrects Naruto's dad who eventually breaks hold of the evil dude's grip and joins up with Naruto and makes Naruto the most powerful ninja of all time learning every power including having the Sharingan.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly? Yes. Both authors can at least make concise stories in the realms of a single one-shot. Mario felt like a 5-10 volume manga that was crammed into one 50 page chapter skipping all the good parts. Plus Kishimoto is pretty much writing Naruto fanfiction as official work nowadays while Oda and Kubo are pretty much doing what they've always done.

Drawing too much shit per panel and pretending to know foreign languages?

Edit:

But god was it bad

Naruto had a far better conceived world than Mario ever did. The problem with Mario is that it looks like he put practically no thought into it at all. I rather like the world-construction in Naruto.

survivor

Banned
Ended up listening to viz's shonen jump podcast (1)...I wonder why someone would ask if one day all the chapters of one piece would be collected in one print volume...

Anyway I liked the brief discussion of how series are picked and how long they have to work on the chapters. If only they had actual news beyond (high prob of nisekoi in print...(
Did they happen to mention how long it takes them for a 200 pages volume? I wanna see how it compares to translating a novel.

Well let me put it this way in realistic terms.

If Kubo redid Bleach from the start, the first arc would be 20 volumes long and most of it would be backgroundless fights between Ichigo and bullies and hollows introducing an entire cast of characters (Ichigo's schoolmates become the bad guys for this arc like Espada or Shinigami).

If Oda redid One Piece from the start, there would be 100 different characters in a single arc full of gags to tell the entirety of Luffy's trip starting in his home town till he first sets sail looking for a crew. Also gushy shit everywhere.

If Kishimoto did Naruto, Naruto would spend the entire arc crying about his dead father, Sasuke would turn evil faster, and Sakura would be a maiden rather than a ninja along with all the other female characters. Then sometime in the arc, some evil dude resurrects Naruto's dad who eventually breaks hold of the evil dude's grip and joins up with Naruto and makes Naruto the most powerful ninja of all time learning every power including having the Sharingan.

If all 3 authors had a chance to "restart" their series they wouldn't just "copy/paste" what they're doing currently onto chapter 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom