• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You also claimed it was the "reader's problem" if they didn't like all of 20th Century Boys. I'm going to take your opinion on what a "reader's problem" is with a grain of salt.

Oh, oh, oh my :O

20th Century Boys is one of the most continuously-babbling mangas I have ever read, and easily ranked as one of the worst of Urasawa's works that I have read.

Guess I should check myself in the nearest hospital then :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'd say Billy Bat is even worse.

Never read it. Now that I hear this, not gonna read it ever, most probably.

Huh, I thought 20th century boys was pretty well regarded.

Generally it is, but there are seriously legitimate issues with it. Enough that people can legitimately say that they don't enjoy reading it due to those issues.

To say that people "have problems with themselves" when they dislike 20th Century Boys is hogwash.

Erigu

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57716044]And the end.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, just keep 5 volumes. 8 at most. And then pretend it got canceled.

Kusagari

I've never read it but this thread is one of the few places I can recall seeing any hate for 20th Century Boys.

Most places seem to love the hell out of it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
A is Friend. No, B is Friend. No, C is Friend. No! A is Friend!

While we're at it, let's throw side stories about some people at the other side of the world too!

Done? Okay, let's continue. A is Friend, wait it's B! But surprise, its C all along!

Oh and throw in timeskip too! And introduces lots of new characters as well, just for the hell of it.

And do you know what time is this for? MORE SIDESTORIES, yayyy!

Big One

Banned
You also claimed it was the "reader's problem" if they didn't like all of 20th Century Boys. I'm going to take your opinion on what a "reader's problem" is with a grain of salt.
I still feel this way, despite it's flaws I do feel like 20th Century Boys is a great manga. A lot of people critique Urasawa for his twists and generally crazy shit you see in the likes of this manga and Billy Bat, but imo the timing is so perfect it really gives the atmosphere shape. When I read an Urasawa manga, I can never really predict anything or even say, "Oh I SAW THAT COMING." which is like a good majority of manga out there for better or worse. Urasawa isn't creating literary masterpieces, he's creating thrillers and I feel like he's very successful at that.

Also as a huge fan of Twin Peaks I also don't mind the weird stuff and the twists you see in his series, as they're so well executed and paced that it makes the entire ride enjoyable.

The only genuine problem I have with Urasawa, and this is ALL his manga, is that the dude really doesn't know how to make a proper conclusion at all.

remz

Naruto one-shot

2M1OBQj.png

I forgot how different this was. Naruto would be a completely different manga if it was based on this one-shot. Some concepts and designs were reused, but the world is so different. Best part of the one-shot: No Sasuke. At some point the art style reminded me of HxH. Would it be too far fetched to say that Kubo was inspired by Togashi? Like, did he admit such a thing or is there a connection between them?

Now that Kishi screwed up Mario, maybe we can hype up this version of Naruto instead and wish he went with this universe?

I'm not sure if he's ever directly said it, but there a lot of similarities between Naruo and HxH, even within the final version- so I don't think it would be a stretch if kishi was inspired by it. He "borrowed" a fair few ideas already >_>

Erigu

When I read an Urasawa manga, I can never really predict anything or even say, "Oh I SAW THAT COMING."
Random, nonsensical "reveals", "twists" and "foreshadowing" probably help a lot with that.

The only genuine problem I have with Urasawa, and this is ALL his manga, is that the dude really doesn't know how to make a proper conclusion at all.
That's because he doesn't know how to write a decent story. He writes himself in a corner very quickly and several times over.
He doesn't even seem to care. Whenever one of his series enters its "we might need to start wrapping it all up one way or another" phase, he just starts a new series on the side and prioritizes that one. And the cycle goes on.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still feel this way, despite it's flaws I do feel like 20th Century Boys is a great manga. A lot of people critique Urasawa for his twists and generally crazy shit you see in the likes of this manga and Billy Bat, but imo the timing is so perfect it really gives the atmosphere shape. When I read an Urasawa manga, I can never really predict anything or even say, "Oh I SAW THAT COMING." which is like a good majority of manga out there for better or worse. Urasawa isn't creating literary masterpieces, he's creating thrillers and I feel like he's very successful at that.

Also as a huge fan of Twin Peaks I also don't mind the weird stuff and the twists you see in his series, as they're so well executed and paced that it makes the entire ride enjoyable.

The entire second half is incoherent.

I've never read it but this thread is one of the few places I can recall seeing any hate for 20th Century Boys.

Most places seem to love the hell out of it.

I've met very few English-speaking readers who thought the second half and especially the ending made a lick of sense.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Random, nonsensical "reveals", "twists" and "foreshadowing" probably help a lot with that.

That's because he doesn't know how to write a decent story. He writes himself in a corner very quickly and several times over.
He doesn't even seem to care. Whenever one of his series enters its "we might need to start wrapping it all up one way or another" phase, he just starts a new series on the side and prioritizes that one. And the cycle goes on.

I thought the ending for Monster was fantastic.

...although I remember that he once put a whole volume of Monster--a whole volume!--focusing on a side character only to get that side character to be killed in the end. He really likes to babble endlessly sometimes.

Although yes, he seems to be so in love in putting all the random nonsensical reveal or twists and foreshadowing and all that.

one piece spoilers

Bartolomeo kicks Hack right in the jaw, bringing him down. As the crowd watch in horror, only 24 contestants left.
Blue Gilly kicks Ricky in the helmet, breaks part of it and the armor.
He laughs at Ricky, as Ricky was fighting with a dull blade unable to even cut.

Ricky lays on the ground, as he utters his old age has caught up to him...
He thinks to himself how he hates this cheering of the crowd... and how he hates Doflamingo.

Blue Gilly starts taking out the fodders surrounding King Elizaberro, and Dagama turns on them as well.
Gilly was actually working with Dagama from the start, he was tasked with taking out the allies at the end.

Dagama plans to take out Gilly while he is busy taking out the grunts... but Gilly senses the danger, and kciks Dagama away.
He says he never trusted Dagama in the first place!

Meanwhile, Bartolomeo is destroying Bellamy. Bellamy wonders what kind of ability he is using...!
He keeps taking damage reflected back at himself.

Luffy shouts out to Bellamy, cheering him on!!
As the left over grunts and Blue Gilly approach King Elizabello, he readies his King Punch.
The spectators realize what he's about to do, and run from the area.
Blue rushes to the king to snap his neck with "Shooting Moon"!

Bellamy has found a way to deal with Bartolomeo... instead of punchig him, he grabs onto him with his spring-powered arm, the grip is so strong, Barto cannot fling him off. As Bellamy gets ready, he senses impending doom coming from behind!
Barto looks ahead and yells "What the hell is that!?"

two page spread of KING PUNCH!

The blast hits everyone on the ring, knocking out everyone but the King.
Bellamy and Blue Gilly are knocked out in the water as well.
Luffy almost falls from his place lol

But one man still stands in the ring... it's Bartolomeo!
He put up a square barrier around himself. He's a Barrier-man who ate the Barrier-Barrier (Bari-bari) fruit.

He punches out his barrier as a wall of attack at King Elizabello, knocking him out in one hit.

The winner is.... Bartolomeo!

Bartolomeo: Hehahahaha! All of you, go to hell!
He then mutters he'll bring the Mera-Mera fruit to "that person"... assuming, someone he works for!

End

Just in case.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Johan's motivation for wrapping it all up was that Urasawa wanted to wrap it all up.
The exact same thing happened at the end of 20th Century Boys. Time to end this! Why? Because. It's time.

Hahaha, well, I guess if you put it that way, yeah I can understand.

I also love the fact how Johan gets taken out by literally a character that appears only at the last chapters of the manga, hahaha.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Johan's motivation for wrapping it all up was that Urasawa wanted to wrap it all up.
The exact same thing happened at the end of 20th Century Boys. Time to end this! Why? Because. It's time.

It also ended on a huge rock concert because yeah

Erigu

Seriously one of the most baffling things ever, really o_O
I'm also rather fond of the not-forced-at-all manner in which Urasawa explained the Kanna flashforward from the very beginning of the series, where she woke up and saw the robot...
Robot is unleashed -> Kanna faints from exhaustion or whatever -> minor characters show up out of nowhere and go "man, we'd better get her home and in her pajamas" -> Kanna wakes up and sees the robot -> Kanna goes back to where the robot is.
Urasawa magic! That whole progression of events felt so natural I didn't notice a thing!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Monster's ending wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. I was just like "..."

The scene where Tenma "thought" Johan got up out of bed at the end was absolutely fantastic, though. And then, datlastpanel.

Bleach spoilers

Uryuu's mom is Katagiri
Not only did Ichigo's mother, on 6/17, something happened, Uryuu's mom also 9 years ago 6/17 ("倒下"fell, possibly sick or struck down, this is not elaborated), and after 3 months, died
Juha Bachs is the the Quincy originator, all quincies blood flows Juha Bach's blood, He needed 900 years 90 years 9 years (?) (to concentrate all his power?) <-- not sure with italicized
9 years ago Juha Bach did quincies cleansing, removing all the mixed blood quincies, got their powers back to himself, that's why Ichigo and Uryuu's mom passed away
Unigaiya brought back Ichigo's shinigami badge Ichigo took it back and leaing
IN another scene showing Juha Bach's location, Juha Bach says hello "son"(?)
Arrive Uryuu
The End.

Hell yeah.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The only way this could get better would be if
Bach pulled off his face and revealed that he was really Aizen all along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom