• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

789shadow

Banned
Shingeki no Kyojin 42

ibbooq5azlskAP.gif

survivor

Banned
Unless my French is already getting crappy, Dawn of the Arcana appears to be ending soon. I seem to recall the manga getting some praise here before so I should get around to reading it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Caught up to Shingeki no Kyojin.

MY MIND IS FULL OF FUCKING FUCK.

Do you know that the author dropped so many hints in a *stealthy* way? Some guy decoded all of the author's clues and made a perfectly accurate guess to all the revelations/plot points the author revealed in the latest chapters.

It's pretty mindblowing stuff.

789shadow

Banned
Do you know that the author dropped so many hints in a *stealthy* way? Some guy decoded all of the author's clues and made a perfectly accurate guess to all the revelations/plot points the author revealed in the latest chapters.

It's pretty mindblowing stuff.
I need a link to that stuff.

survivor

Banned
Summer Wars vol 3 End

KOI KOI
fU6bbgP.png

That was really good. I still had no clue what the hell happened during the Koi-Koi game, but it still managed to be very tense and you gotta give props to the manga for making a nonsensical game to me sounds exciting. I guess the game is well known in Japan cause the manga just glossed over explaining the rules of the game, it was probably the same situation for the anime as well. It didn't really matter that much in the end since the showdown between Natsuki and Love Machine didn't really involve any strategies or mind games, she just kept yelling Koi Koi. I think the game is mostly luck based anyway, otherwise how would a highly advanced AI just lose so easily?

The Wabisuke story arc really got to me this time :( I can just imagine how much better return scene would be in the anime when you factor in the music. Although his role in stopping Love Machine kinda seemed downplayed, the dude just sat on his computer "hacking" and wasn't part of the action. Even King Kazma was rendered useless near the end of the fight, but hey, we at least got more badass Natsuki showdown.

Reading this just made me realize how much better Summer Wars is than I really remember it. It's not Wolf Children tier, but it's actually much closer in quality (along with Girl Leapt Through Time). Really, it's just a testament to how awesome Hosoda is as a director. Now, I'm probably gonna read the spin-off story King Kazma vs Queen Ozu

survivor

Banned
Does the manga expand on the movie at all or is it just a retelling?

Pretty much everything is the same as the movie. The only thing I don't remember from the movie is at the end there is a 3 pages aftermath scene where Kenji and Natsuki are in the club room and Natsuki is talking about which university to apply to. But that could have been in the movie and I just forgot about it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, I don't remember that scene at all.

Thanks for the info though.

Blade of the Immortal 198

qQ4sNHA.png

Is... is that supposed to be her tongue?

RedSwirl

Blade of the Immortal - 198

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I mean, everything since volume 27 has been straight-up unadulterated warfare, but now motherfuckers are going at it with everything they've got.

Also, this is the first chapter of the final volume.

Antiwhippy

Yeah this chapter is probably going to escalate on the violence and gore, which is saying something coming from vol. 29.

Deep Clear

Well shit, this literally made my day (despite the OP hiatus). I knew this is a manga from Miho Obana but I didn't expect it to have any connection to Kodocha, let alone being a sort of sequel. Even when the name Sana was brought up I was like "Huh, probably a throwback to Kodocha" but no, it's the same Sana Kurata. I grasped for air after every new reveal (Sana and Akito are married, Sana is still an actress and Akito is now a dojo instructor and chiropractor and most of all Sana is currently pregnant), it's almost like a meet up with old friends and hearing what they are doing after not seeing each other for years. And boy are they still fun as ever, ok Sana is still fun (and crazy), Akito is the same old grumpy but cool guy. Some are some other Kodocha characters as well like Rei or Sana's mother but not nearly enough, I'd loved to see what has become of all the other.
Oh yeah story, there was one I guess, it's actually decent and makes more sense if you've read Kodocha so it's more than just fanservice. I feel like re-re-re-...-reading Kodocha now. Yeah, I'm like the greatest Kodocha fanboy on earth if you hadn't noticed yet.

But first I have to put Honey Bitter on my reading list now because the main character of Deep Clear actually comes from there it appears.

WHAT WHAT.

*bookmarks manga*

Lain

Unless my French is already getting crappy, Dawn of the Arcana appears to be ending soon. I seem to recall the manga getting some praise here before so I should get around to reading it.

I like it enough that I've been buying the books, but some of the latest developments I've seen from the scans bummed me out a bit.

upandaway

I thought Jump authors submitted multiple chapters ahead of what the readers are reading for situations like this (unless he's been sick for multiple weeks)?
No matter how many chapters ahead they are, they're still drawing one chapter per week, so a week of break is still a week of hiatus.

D. Gray Man Volume 9

E8Ux7vn.png

Hot damn, Allen's innocence form is badass. Good stuff all around, and judging by the preview screencap at the end, I'll get the fight I've been waiting for; Allen vs the Millenium Earl!

Let's go~
Allen´s Crown Clown is so damn awesome.
She's my favourite. Those delusions about Jae Gu... LOL

Without Dal Dal i would have dropped it. The other characters have very little appeal to me.

Antiwhippy

Nobunanga no Chef 1

So this is basically Jin except based around modern cuisine being sent back to feudal japan instead of modern medicine. Yeah.

Seems like translations just started, so 1 chapter only, but the premise is really interesting. Interested to see how it develops.

Also Nobunanga is a dick.

SYBXbc3.png

Jarmel

Banned
So I'm around 22 for Shingeki no Kyojin. My biggest issue with the manga is the flow. There are a lot of scenes that feel interrupted because some crucial backstory is needed at a point instead of just telling the story naturally. Like right after the initial attack scene after the time skip, there had to be a scene that explained the Titans' weak point instead of describing it earlier or the whole training segment. I'm hoping Araki rearranges some of the scenes so the story flows a bit better.

Tacitus_

Berserk Volume 21/Ch 192 (Retribution Arc End)

Well, that was certainly well done. I don't know how I feel about everyone surviving at the end of the day, but hell, it was so good I can overlook that.

The action sequences in this arc were really well done. Gutts maintained his status as king MAN and continues to impress me with every battle. I will admit, the Mozgus battle seemed to be a little less epic and anticlimactic than I thought it would be. It was still good though.

Loved the involvement of the Skull Knight, I'm glad he's staying around for the important bits of information. The "nakama" of this arc were all good. I really wished Nina would've died or some shit by the end, but she kept on living. Luka was very cool, and as I mentioned earlier, Ishidori and Puck are enjoyable for me.

About Caska, I'm not sure what I think of her being in this state, yet. All I can say is that I hope she comes to having some type of personality sooner rather than later.

Now, the shit with Zodd and Griffith, I didn't quite understand at the end. (No, you spoilering lames, I don't want you to explain it to me!) I am assuming that more about Griffith suddenly showing up will be revealed in this upcoming arc, because it is certainly fucking intriguing. However, I hope it's not some bullshit, I want Griffith to get his fucking shit WRECKED some day.

Good stuff. Will start the next arc later.

What did you not understand about him showing up?

Antiwhippy

Aozora Yell 15

Brutal rejection by Daisuke. At least it cuts the "Oh I wonder what love is blah blah blah blah" short, thankfully.

Also daisuke's focus on baseball is crazy intense.

Antiwhippy

Yo this is the definition of being up shit's creek. This is the definition.

Man, you don't even know yet.

Aozora Yell 16

Daisuke's nice guyness and straightforward attitude is so intense it's nearly surreal. It's nice that they've moved forward though.

Gotta say all this angst about love and ambitions really reminds me of honey and clover.

Hypron

Bleach 530 is out.

So I take it that hollow at the end is a vastrolord if he's the one that's gonna kick ichigo's father's ass? He looks awfully similar to ichigo's mask as well, so I guess they are somewhat related.

Jintor

If it turns out he's had a nine-tailed fox inside him the whole time that his mother sealed away this is gonna suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Bleach 530

Whoa revelations abound!!!

But Bleach is on break next week.... WTF! Kubo how dare you leave us hanging like this!?! Get your ass back from Germany and start those next few chapters!

Masaki is a lot alike to Orihime lol. Ichi/Ruki fans won't be happy. Masaki was supposed to marry Ryuuken who is her cousin lol. Looks like Ryuuken married the maid instead and Uryuu's grandmother is a bit of a bitch. Kinda like Uryuu actually lol. But the last page is the best, haven't seen a hollow in a long time. Go Isshin avenge your subordinates and lose so Masaki can save you!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Bleach 530

Love the last panel, hopefully this lets us know how Ichigo really got them hollow powers since man that dude at the ends is basically Ichigos H2.0 maybe that is the first Espada/Vasto Lord that Aizen recruited? Maybe tha'ts why Aizen said he was looking at ichigo ever since he was born...... Snap! Fuck another series on break for next week.

Jarmel

Banned
What do you think of the art for the manga?

The best way I can describe it, is that it's good, at times but not necessarily great. There are a lot of derp faces but then other times, in action sequences, where it looks excellent. The humans can really look flat(and not in the literal pancake way). I do think the anime will look truly outstanding if animated properly. There's a lot of moments for sakuga in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom