• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's one thing to criticize someone's argument in favor/against something and quite another to just say they're dumb for liking/disliking a thing in general.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
It's a bad style. It makes everything feel like it's happening in limbo and the manga loses a sense of progression as a result.

It just really doesn't hold up for week to week sessions. It feels lifeless and the chapters end up dragging on. Even if I let him go with his "artistic" direction, panels of feet for two pages feels more like filler and less like a specific direction needed for the story to be told.

On the flip side, sometimes One Piece is just packed to the brim with each panel it becomes way too convoluted. It's much easier to forgive though since it always feels like the world just became a little bit bigger and more fleshed out on top of most chapters reading like a blazing pace in comparison.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It just really doesn't hold up for week to week sessions. It feels lifeless and the chapters end up dragging on. Even if I let him go with his "artistic" direction, panels of feet for two pages feels more like filler and less like a specific direction needed for the story to be told.

On the flip side, sometimes One Piece is just packed to the brim with each panel it becomes way too convoluted. It's much easier to forgive though since it always feels like the world just became a little bit bigger and more fleshed out on top of most chapters reading like a blazing pace in comparison.

Eiichiro Oda loves doing Where's Waldo panels.

Soma

Minamoto-kun Monogatari 70

New girl is adorable but this is going way too smoothly so far.

Something's gotta give.

Wiseblade

That's got more to do with Kubo trying to control the reader's pace. He draws as if he was making the storyboard of a cartoon. Those feet panels are him trying to slow the reader down a build suspence. What he forgets is that it's a manga, people are just going to gloss right over that in half a second.

I agree that Oda's overcrowded style isn't exactly ideal either, too many times I've had to read a page over just to grasp what was supposed to be happening. But I definitely know which approach I prefer.

Kusagari

Oda definitely overcrowds but the War arc was the only time I felt it actively detrimental. It was impossible to tell what was going on at times.

Wiseblade

Oda definitely overcrowds but the War arc was the only time I felt it actively detrimental. It was impossible to tell what was going on at times.

The war is the only time it felt truly justified to me. War is messy and has tons going on at once; the panels reflected that nicely. I was disappointed that the anime didn't transfer that into motion (not that I really should have expected anything from the anime...)

Stinky

Whoever cleans the scans for One Piece makes the lines all washed out and the tones all messed up (plus the fact that they're lower quality magazine scans)

The crowded panel art Oda does is a clusterfuck in arcs like Marineford but it is FAR more tolerable in the print version. You can immediately tell what is going on. The difference is astounding sometimes.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
1) I didn't realize brotkasten was such a BRO

2) <3 789Shadow

3) One Piece art is really ugly

4) woot bleach tomorrow

Okay okay back to Berserk.

This fabulous mess of a drama can wait after I watch the anime version, sorry DTL

Anime's good too
tumblr_mdylobyMSb1r0pwepo1_250.gif

Angry Grimace

TWGOK

I don't understand why Kanon has her own spinoff. Kanon is the worst girl that isn't awful Doll Girl or awful Shiori.

1) I didn't realize brotkasten was such a BRO

2) <3 789Shadow

3) One Piece art is really ugly

4) woot bleach tomorrow

Okay okay back to Berserk.

And this is what WednesdayManGAF is really about, caesar.

Love for everyone in here, some of your own opinion and then back to business, aka reading real manga.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
The war is the only time it felt truly justified to me. War is messy and has tons going on at once; the panels reflected that nicely. I was disappointed that the anime didn't transfer that into motion (not that I really should have expected anything from the anime...)

Is the anime ever as good? I usually stick to whatever the original format is and don't watch the other. I watched up till . . the dragon girl filler? Any of the arcs worth a watch?

Whoever cleans the scans for One Piece makes the lines all washed out and the tones all messed up (plus the fact that they're lower quality magazine scans)

The crowded panel art Oda does is a clusterfuck in arcs like Marineford but it is FAR more tolerable in the print version. You can immediately tell what is going on. The difference is astounding sometimes.

Yep, always the preferred way to read. Same with books over ebooks.

Wiseblade

How does Jump Alpha compare to the Volume releases?

survivor

Banned
You can use manga updates to check the exact chapter when an anime adaption starts and ends

EDIT: Starts at Vol 1, Chap 1
Ends at Vol 9

Man I was totally wrong. I'm looking at the episodes summary and I don't even remember the last episode happening in the manga.

Wiseblade

Is the anime ever as good? I usually stick to whatever the original format is and don't watch the other. I watched up till . . the dragon girl filler? Any of the arcs worth a watch?

Yep, always the preferred way to read. Same with books over ebooks.

Not really, I usually just skim it for GIF material.

Stinky

How does Jump Alpha compare to the Volume releases?

I don't have it (I probably would if I lived in America, its a very reasonable price for a cool service)

But I've seen some comparison shots on imageboards and DTL has posted some. The quality is a bit better but the tones are far better. They look like a cool grey instead of the dark murky ones ALL of the tones in the panda and stream versions become (well the stream version is pretty good).

Yonafunu

Shingeki no Kyojin

Imma spoiler this considering 789shadow just started, but
how obvious was it that Annie was the female Titan?
Come on man.

I don't have it (I probably would if I lived in America, its a very reasonable price for a cool service)

But I've seen some comparison shots on imageboards and DTL has posted some. The quality is a bit better but the tones are far better. They look like a cool grey instead of the dark murky ones ALL of the tones in the panda and stream versions become (well the stream version is pretty good).

I think usually the viz (left) are better, mainly the details are just much clearer (rocks, shadows under luffy and zoro, fence grating, the clouds, nico robin in the background there), often usually best seen in most fight scenes.

Stinky

^Pretty good comparison. Not as different as I remember it being but the alpha version is obviously better.

Take a look at Luffy and Zoro in panel 1 especially, the tones make them look like they're under a giant umbrella or somethin'.

Also glad to see the translations we're getting are almost spot on (at least for ONE of the versions)

Nami killed Otohime...

No, thats Sabo. Duh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom