• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Snippin cuz its long

Few things.

Uno) they presented Naruto as an outsider neglected by his village from the get go and then further expanded on it.

That isn't an issue with the fandom, you just don't like the plot. That's fine, just do not blame fans for taking as canon, the thing they presented to be taken as canon.

Dos) What I orginally was going to type was going to sound meaner that it should, so here is the less mean short version.

I don't think you know how children work. Or teenagers, or anything. People react differently to different things, and different hardships.

You may want to learn some perspective, if the concept of youthful rebellion is foreign.\

( that is the nice version)

You're right that he can draw when he wants to, the thing is that at times his art is amazingly lazy. People complain about scribbles for a reason. Team him up with Murata and you'd have the manga of the forever. He could take his time writing it and god mode that while Murata god modes the art.

He has this weird foe- anime person style he throws in the chapters or the chapter cover sometimes. Where it almost looks like a real legit person, but then your brain rationalizes animu. Dude is good. He is just lazy, is that dragon quest thing true?

Few things.

Uno) they presented Naruto as an outsider neglected by his village from the get go and then further expanded on it.

That isn't an issue with the fandom, you just don't like the plot. That's fine, just do not blame fans for taking as canon, the thing they presented to be taken as canon.

Dos) What I orginally was going to type was going to sound meaner that it should, so here is the less mean short version.

I don't think you know how children work. Or teenagers, or anything. People react differently to different things, and different hardships.

You may want to learn some perspective, if the concept of youthful rebellion is foreign.\

( that is the nice version)

Well I guess thanks for being nice? lol

1) You are right that I don't like the plot but I disagree that what was presented as canon can be taken and changed into something its not. Which is that Naruto was abused by the village and EVERYONE did it. That Naruto was a victim of the whole village and everyone was in on it. Kishi did not expand on Naruto treatment as a child beyond some flashbacks of him crying while people treated him coldly and that some kids wouldn't play with him. Yet we also had flashbacks that show him hanging out with Chouji and Shikamaru along with Kiba.

2) You can believe of me what you want. My point is that it can be explained away as a standard battle shonen manga as Kishi didn't want to go deep into Naruto's psyche with the barest of mentions in part 2 at the waterfall where his inner darkness was shown and taken care of thanks to Kushina. In other words, Kishi ignored it and swept it under the rug. Like some other parts of part 2 for that matter and some of part 1.

Yes of course people react differently to different situations. Naruto's was to act like a brat and cause trouble to have villagers acknowledge his existence since they ignored and shunned him. Better to have negative attention then no attention after all.

I could go on and on but I'll end it here and just say that we have different opinions on this matter.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I wonder Toriko's perceived lack of success has something to do with the fact that it doesn't adhere to "stuff that sells" like cute character designs, minimal (if any?) fanservice, no love interests, etc etc.

Even the typical "I protect you" trope are said between two guys, not one guy to a girl. Hmm, just a random thought.

It's a shame though. I personally thought Toriko's Universe is the most interesting out of all mangas I know right now. So rich with creativity!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He has this weird foe- anime person style he throws in the chapters or the chapter cover sometimes. Where it almost looks like a real legit person, but then your brain rationalizes animu. Dude is good. He is just lazy, is that dragon quest thing true?

Who knows, I remember hearing that he was sick at some point and broke an arm at another.

Kurita

>Sakuraba
Short haired Sakuraba > *

Great characterization for every (well, most) teammate, and easily distinguishable characters. I think my second favorite after Sena is Jumonji actually, and that's freaking amazing. He's like a second string character.
I agree, I also love the fact that every character has a unique design. You never think "wait who is that guy?".
They are instantly recognisable.
Eyeshield 21's cast definitely is one of the best in mangas.
And yeah even guys like Jumonji are awesome, everybody in the team has some epic moments (when Jumonji dragged Agon, damn), it doesn't just focus on Sena so you end up liking the entire team.

Lain

Failure of a Heroine volume 3
lNo.jpg

I'm amazed that the story can feel this enjoyable still. The volume opens up with our fallen heroine trying to redeem herself by playing the part of the perfect heroine, which means she has sparkly 80's shojo eyes, complete with 80's shojo reactions.
Naturally that doesn't last long and we're back to her usual (fail) plans to try and steal Rita from Adachi.

Not only Hatori seems to have shit taste in fact of guys, she seems to have shit taste in fact of friends as well, as shown by her becoming friend with Moe (not like Nakajima is any better of a friend, though I can half understand her, having to put up with Hatori) only to have Moe start gunning for Rita too, which gives the author a chance to draw a manly looking version of Hatori when she finds out. The way she goes about visual representations to show certain aspects is pretty great.

Adachi is, despite her meek character, quite the girl. I'm still not sure how much she's really that good, but in this volume she is starting to show signs of becoming a little bit more possessive about Rita. I wonder what'll happen if (when?) she finds out Rita kissed Hatori while she was in Mexico.

I don't want to pin too much blame on Rita, because there are some extenuating circumstances to what he did (mainly his shitty personality), still he's becoming worse as the story goes. Makes Hatori's obsession over him even more ridiculous and engaging to follow.

Why am I bringing this here? Because it's great and you'll like it. Also because western comics don't have any representation in Community and their monthly discussion threads just ain't the same. I fucking promise you that this series is more fucking enjoyable than most of the fucking shit that runs in shonen magazines these days. I hope you give it a shot.

As if my backlog wasn't big enough already, thanks.

The only western comics that interest me are Sandman (must read, or so I've heard) and Hawkeye (bro edition). What are you thoughts the new Hawkeye series?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sandman should be at the top of whatever list you have.

Bendis did Powers? That was a good series to go through. But Sandman Sandman Sandman Sandman. Sandman. Might as well throw in DMZ, and noir comics from Ed Brubaker.

Haly

People told me the same about about 5 other manga. I can't read everything at once.

Which is why you read Sandman first.

(Also you read multiple manga every week when they're released so...?)

Haly

Pretend it's a weekly series and read one issue every week

Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I wonder Toriko's perceived lack of success has something to do with the fact that it doesn't adhere to "stuff that sells" like cute character designs, minimal (if any?) fanservice, no love interests, etc etc.

Even the typical "I protect you" trope are said between two guys, not one guy to a girl. Hmm, just a random thought.

It's a shame though. I personally thought Toriko's Universe is the most interesting out of all mangas I know right now. So rich with creativity!

No, Toriko´s lack of success is attributed to the whole shitty premise. Food, war about food and everything has to do with food. I would never think that the stake is high since it´s all about food. There´s barely any depth to characters, or any character development. Everything revolve about food in a battle manga strikes me not that interesting.

Jintor

Sandman is god tier work.

No, Toriko´s lack of success is attributed to the whole shitty premise. Food, war about food and everything has to do with food. I would never think that the stake is high since it´s all about food. There´s barely any depth to characters, or any character development. Everything revolve about food in a battle manga strikes me not that interesting.

Man battle manga could be about anything if you have the skills to throw down. I'm still waiting for that ManGAF pillow-fighting battle manga. And maybe one day I'll make that stupid tag manga.

dumbyugi

Komatsu has had more character development than any character in Bleach had at the same amount of chapters.

Kurita

Toriko is just so much fun, discovering gigantic and weird monsters, crazy-looking food... is so entertaining.
Easily one of my favorite worlds along with One Piece.

Ranma 1/2 already taught us that you can battle with and about everything, like Martial Arts Tea Ceremony.

"If it has 'Martial' in it, I can do it!"

dumbyugi

I heard in the comic thread that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at the moment is really good.

Lol, how about you describe the development that he had.
2- It´s not true whatsoever.

I don't even remember much about Bleach, I just wanted to be an arse. Characters in Toriko do get character development but it's more about them getting more powerful than anything else.

Ranma 1/2 already taught us that you can battle with and about everything, like Martial Arts Tea Ceremony.

"If it has 'Martial' in it, I can do it!"

I am just saying that battle for food does not seem appealing to a lot of people.

I don't even remember much about Bleach, I just wanted to be an arse. Characters in Toriko do get character development but it's more about them getting more powerful than anything else.

Power wise growth, for the most part, has nothing to do character development. I mean look at Toriko, he increased how many times he can do his nail punch and get more nails in his punch. We barely know anything about his past. We only got that chapter which explained a bit about him, and he is the main character. You could argue that food honor training made his character grow, and i would counter argue that Toriko already had respect for food and nature.

And that's enough to make it interesting? I'm always thinking about picking it up, but most reactions here are really mixed and some probably only picked it up, because it was a new Jump series (same reason I picked up Ass Class).

Wiseblade

Ultimatum is where this all really pays off.

You're a bad person.

Retcon: I should really read Sandman properly. I was being cheap and borrowing the tattered volumes from my local library, but they're missing volumes 5&6 so I'm kind of stuck. And since "if I'm buying any volumes, I should buy all of them", it ended up WAYY down on my backlog, after finishing One Piece, Ultimate Spider-Man and FMA. Honestly, I'll probably get Magi before Sandman too.

dumbyugi

And that's enough to make it interesting? I'm always thinking about picking it up, but most reactions here are really mixed and some probably only picked it up, because it was a new Jump series (same reason I picked up Ass Class).

The characters are the last reason I would suggest picking up Toriko, it's everything else that makes it good. The mosters are cool looking, the food is creative, the fights are good and the world is fun.

Oh, I agree. I wouldn't call it a "shitty premise" though.

And I think that it's lacking many other things that make manga appealing to a wide audience.
I don´t think Toriko has popular characters either at least in Japan, even with all the push that Jump has given it.

It´s fun, but the characters are flat, everything revolves about food, which gives power ups by activating gourmet cells. The plot is about food domination and getting one ingredients that stands above all others, which sounds quite boring to me. I don´t read it for the plot. I would like more characters getting fleshed out, at least Toriko´s group, but i don´t think that´s happening anytime soon.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Well, it's not like manga world lack stories with shitty premise--I disagree with the "shitty" part by the way; at least it's something different than the usual stuff.

Also, "depths of characters" isn't really something that is still crucial in determining a series is successful or not, methinks. Many popular stuff has shitty "depths of characters."

I think the art plays a big part in why Toriko isn't selling as well as it could be, it's just not a style that's popular anymore.

Yeah, I think this plays a huge part. The art is just incompatible with the "popular" style anymore :(

Well, at least I hope Toriko can survive long enough for it to get a proper conclusion, unlike stuff like Cage of Eden or Nurarihyon no Mago :(

The characters are the last reason I would suggest picking up Toriko, it's everything else that makes it good. The mosters are cool looking, the food is creative, the fights are good and the world is fun.

Its world is unrivaled, in my eyes. Not even by One Piece.

It´s fun, but the characters are flat, everything revolves about food, which gives power ups by activating gourmet cells. The plot is about food domination and getting one ingredients that stands above all others, which sounds quite boring to me. I don´t read it for the plot. I would like more characters getting fleshed out, at least Toriko´s group, but i don´t think that´s happening anytime soon.

That sounds actually pretty interesting. I don't have that much more desire to read it, than I had before, but it's definitely on The List™ now, thank you. I just hope it doesn't have a slow start.

Wiseblade

Remember when Kishimoto introduced samurai and fully exsplored the implications of a powerful non-ninja force in the Naruto world?

Good times...

Remember when Kishimoto introduced samurai and fully exsplored the implications of a powerful non-ninja force in the Naruto world?

Good times...

First i would like to know much much more about ninja villages since it´s a huge part of the manga. The samurai could be explored much later or not at all, and it would still be alright since samurai are not important in Naruto at all. Except fort eh couple of chapters that their boss fought Hanzo.

*Shrug*

My opinion. I really do find Toriko's universe as really fantastic/creative.

Trumping over Naruto, Bleach, and yes, even One Piece.
Naruto's potential far outpaces all four of those mentioned with OP in a somewhat close second and bleach is left completely in the dust.

As much as I love Kubo he really wrote his universe in such a way that much can't be done with it. Hueco Mundo could've been soooo much more.

Naruto's potential far outpaces all four of those mentioned with OP in a somewhat close second and bleach is left completely in the dust.

As much as I love Kubo he really wrote his universe in such a way that much can't be done with it. Hueco Mundo could've been soooo much more.

That´s because Bleach is a character driven manga.

Bleach Universe has a really simple world. Real world where we have our stuff and then Hueco Mundo and Sereitei. But thats part of the appeal.

Too bad only One Piece and Toriko really explores the world in their mangas.

Naruto is just Fire Country plus 1 or 2 new locations every 3 arcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom