• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeleSocho

Banned
Toriko 233
That inner talk was good, it's essentially the opposite of autophagy now thanks to food immersion. I wonder if he was talking about Ichiryu's course or the Acacia's one....

Yeah in creativity Toriko's world can be compared only to One Piece's too bad that nowadays OP is less about exploring and more about "hey let's go to this new place to met this new enemy and beat the shit out of him"

Monster 85

Whaaaaaaat. I REALLY didn't expect that o_O

WHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.
j74SykU.gif

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Naruto's potential far outpaces all four of those mentioned with OP in a somewhat close second and bleach is left completely in the dust.

As much as I love Kubo he really wrote his universe in such a way that much can't be done with it. Hueco Mundo could've been soooo much more.

It would be awesome if Kishi explores more stuff like that giant turtle Naruto and Bee were practicing in.

Toriko 233
That inner talk was good, it's essentially the opposite of autophagy now thanks to food immersion. I wonder if he was talking about Ichiryu's course or the Acacia's one....

Yeah in creativity Toriko's world can be compared only to One Piece's too bad that nowadays OP is less about exploring and more about "hey let's go to this new place to met this new enemy and beat the shit out of him"

Yeah, I am disappointed about this too. It just doesn't have that sense of "adventuring" anymore, unlike say, the beginning of the Skypiean Arc or the fantastic scope of the setting for rescue-Robin arc (the train, the world government prison, etc etc)

To be honest One Piece has lost a lot of its appeal to me after Water 7. There are flashes of Oda's brilliance but the pace kills it for me most times. His fights are getting kinda stale too.

After the beginning half of OP was all about the crew and their adventure. It doesn't feel like that anymore.

The crew isn't developing much either with the tons of secondary characters introduced and taking up screen time.

It would be awesome if Kishi explores more stuff like that giant turtle Naruto and Bee were practicing in.

I'd also like to know if there are technologically advanced villages. While it seems that the universe in Naruto plays few centuries ago, you still have technologies like (TV) screens and headsets.

To be honest One Piece has lost a lot of its appeal to me after Water 7. There are flashes of Oda's brilliance but the pace kills it for me most times. His fights are getting kinda stale too.

After the beginning half of OP was all about the crew and their adventure. It doesn't feel like that anymore.

The crew isn't developing much either with the tons of secondary characters introduced and taking up screen time.

Pacing is probably my biggest problem with OP and ruins what could be good arcs. The last two arcs were a total drag and this one doesn't seem to be that much better.

LeleSocho

Banned

Same here, un until Water7 i considered OP the best thing ever with absolutely no match for the others but right after that it became booooooring...
it became a little interesting again at Shabondy Islands but again it goes downhill, at this point i'm not even waiting for its chapters every week nor do i search spoilers for it i only continue to reading it because it would be a shame dropping it after 700+ chapters but i'm not even half as hyped as for Naruto or Toriko...

Can you even hit a bigger grand slam with your debut than Isayama did with Shingeki? sales chart slaying, award winning manga, that gets an anime adaptation that's poised to chart super high on the sales charts.
Was BLue Exorcists the writers debut work? If only it and attack on titan were weekly I wonder just how many volumes itd have charted, certainly more than 10. Will the anime really sell 80000 - 100,000 copies...

I wonder Toriko's perceived lack of success has something to do with the fact that it doesn't adhere to "stuff that sells" like cute character designs, minimal (if any?) fanservice, no love interests, etc etc.

Even the typical "I protect you" trope are said between two guys, not one guy to a girl. Hmm, just a random thought.

It's a shame though. I personally thought Toriko's Universe is the most interesting out of all mangas I know right now. So rich with creativity!

No service? I though weve seen numerous bath scenes, their chests are routinely lacking clothes, and the writer clearly does his best to appeal to shippers.

I think people like it but dont really want to buy it. Also character designs really inhibit any desire to get merchandise, too bulky etc.

Foodwise, shokugeki no soma is really providing much better foods and the dishes always look so tasty.

Variante 10-11

Could this finally be getting somewhere? Bandana Agent, who accidentally looks like the Magic Book Spider Bad Guy from Hunter x Hunter, is sniffing around in this old and abandoned building of his secret agency, discovering the horrible truth that is connected to his tragic past. And he's doing it, even though he got a fair warning from Miss Doctor, who's also his superior, telling him that even she can't help him, if he keeps digging through the dirt. What he found was not only his past that came back to haunt him, but also a shocking truth about the company he's working for.

Luckily, Aiko and Miss Doctor came to rescue him. Aiko, who finally built up enough confidence to fight and protect someone with her mutant killer monster arm, could smack some sense into Mr Agent, who wanted to sacrifice himself for the mistake he made in the past. After overcoming this obstacle and finding closure, Aiko made the transition from being this monster thing to being his friend and partner.

After the incident, the chairmen of the board weren't exactly happy about it, as expected. Mr Representative's refusal to hand over Aiko and fire Mr Agent will surely come back to bite him. Meanwhile, Aiko realizes that the monsters she's been killing were human all along.

Does that sound super boring and generic? It does. It also reads like that. The Jehova scene, pictured above, was the only saving grace so far.

LeleSocho

Banned
No service? I though weve seen numerous bath scenes, their chests are routinely lacking clothes, and the writer clearly does his best to appeal to shippers.

I think people like it but dont really want to buy it. Also character designs really inhibit any desire to get merchandise, too bulky etc.

Foodwise, shokugeki no soma is really providing much better foods and the dishes always look so tasty.

It's a shonen, fanservice=boobs and datass™

Zoe

I'd also like to know if there are technologically advanced villages. While it seems that the universe in Naruto plays few centuries ago, you still have technologies like (TV) screens and headsets.

Well one theory is that it's a post-apocalyptic world in the future based on the image of a nuclear explosion that one time.

Village

I don´t think Toriko has popular characters either at least in Japan, even with all the push that Jump has given it.

It´s fun, but the characters are flat, everything revolves about food, which gives power ups by activating gourmet cells. The plot is about food domination and getting one ingredients that stands above all others, which sounds quite boring to me. I don´t read it for the plot. I would like more characters getting fleshed out, at least Toriko´s group, but i don´t think that´s happening anytime soon.

Can I be honest.

Toriko ( imo) is a "bobobo-esque, rave master, weird world/weird motivation" manga trying to pushed as a regular shonen. And it isn't working.

Feel free to disagree, thats just how i see.

Well one theory is that it's a post-apocalyptic world in the future based on the image of a nuclear explosion that one time.

I would go with society has evovled differently. Since humans can do super human acts the need for technology to hard work has gone down. Not saying every village is a ninja village. But why use a crane when you have a guy who can clone himelf and has super strength

Brickhunt

Naruto is a strange case, the plot seems to take place one continent with a civilization more than capable to explore the rest of the world with ninja magic. So unless the rest of the world is an apocalyptic wasteland, it feels underdeveloped. One thing I did enjoy about this Shinobi war before becoming this clusterfuck ever since Madara entered the fray is getting bits of world building from other villages from the fallen Shinobi. Kishi made his manga too Konoha centric.

Same here, un until Water7 i considered OP the best thing ever with absolutely no match for the others but right after that it became booooooring...
it became a little interesting again at Shabondy Islands but again it goes downhill, at this point i'm not even waiting for its chapters every week nor do i search spoilers for it i only continue to reading it because it would be a shame dropping it after 700+ chapters but i'm not even half as hyped as for Naruto or Toriko...
I feel like this too, I think the best world building happens between arcs, and the arcs themselves are more like contained stories with little impact for the greater plot, save for preparing for some characters to returns in the future. In this scenario, Dressrosa is shaping up to be the most interesting, SH-centered arc, since Alabasta, for actually dealing with a Shichibukai with world changing implications if taken down, but the mini-tournament arc that just spend two to three chapters to build an opponent isn't helping me enjoy.

wonzo

Banned
Drifting Classroom 1-13

driftingclassroom13.png

This mightn't be as batshit insane and off-the-walls as FOURTEEN is but the actual semblance of some "coherent" (and i use that word very, very liberally in this case) plot and how seriously it's seemingly taken because of that makes this just as amazing.

umezzzzz
bow2.gif

Wiseblade

Can I be honest.

Toriko ( imo) is a "bobobo-esque, rave master, weird world/weird motivation" manga trying to pushed as a regular shonen. And it isn't working.

Feel free to disagree, thats just how i see.

I definitely disagree with that. From the little I've read, Toriko doesn't get nearly as zany as something like Bobobo, even if it is much wackier than the likes of Naruto and Bleach.

Village

I definitely disagree with that. From the little I've read, Toriko doesn't get nearly as zany as something like Bobobo, even if it is much wackier than the likes of Naruto and Bleach.

Hmm, well time well tell how toriko works out.

My prediction someone is going to make a battle manga about robots. And robots are going to come back.

Mael

Now that I've caught up with Toriko I can assess it properly.
Get rid of Komatsu and you've got indeed one absolutely fantastic manga.
Seriously the world building is great, the art is reminiscent of the good ole Hokuto no Ken which is sadly missed nowadays.
The IGO/Bishokukai (horrible name when you hero is a Bishokuya)/Neo whatever is exciting and the stakes are actually really high.
As a whole so far, it's infinitely better than Naruto Shippuden or most of Bleach which feels like filler material.
Komatsu is useless and need to get out, we get it he's the motivation of Toriko and all that.
For example, the chapters about Sani, Tengu and Zebra were way better than this one.
Also Zebra is the real hero of Toriko.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Now that I've caught up with Toriko I can assess it properly.
Get rid of Komatsu and you've got indeed one absolutely fantastic manga.
Seriously the world building is great, the art is reminiscent of the good ole Hokuto no Ken which is sadly missed nowadays.
The IGO/Bishokukai (horrible name when you hero is a Bishokuya)/Neo whatever is exciting and the stakes are actually really high.
As a whole so far, it's infinitely better than Naruto Shippuden or most of Bleach which feels like filler material.
Komatsu is useless and need to get out, we get it he's the motivation of Toriko and all that.
For example, the chapters about Sani, Tengu and Zebra were way better than this one.
Also Zebra is the real hero of Toriko.

No.

Get rid of him and it just becomes another boring battle shounen.

Mael

No.

Get rid of him and it just becomes another boring battle shounen.

Well that'd be better than having a useless character who's only there to serve as expodump for the reader.
Kudos for Toriko's mangaka to manage to make him stay useless so far, many would have made him potent by now.

Again the cooking parts of the manga makes no sense anyway so why keep a character who's only there for a part that's so stupid?

Antiwhippy

See, I like the cooking parts.

It's pretty much the only reason why i'm still reading it if I'm being honest. Which is why I was severely disappointed at the current arc. Not enough cooking in the cooking tournament, and it jumped straight into the battle stuff.

Also he's not exactly useless, he just has a very specific specialty, which complements toriko and the rest of the kings. They hunt, he cooks. That's the whole hook of the manga to me right there. Hunting exotic ingredients and then preparing the outlandish meals afterwards. Like him preparing the century soup. Without the cooking of the century soup, there is no closure to that arc.

Without that it's just hunting weird ass animals, which has its appeal, but the cooking part ties the world in so much better.

Mael

See, I like the cooking parts.

It's pretty much the only reason why i'm still reading it if I'm being honest. Which is why I was severely disappointed at the current arc. Not enough cooking in the cooking tournament, and it jumped straight into the battle stuff.

Also he's not exactly useless, he just has a very specific specialty, which complements toriko and the rest of the kings. They hunt, he cooks. That's the whole hook of the manga to me right there. Hunting exotic ingredients and then preparing the outlandish meals afterwards. Like him preparing the century soup. Without the cooking of the century soup, there is no closure to that arc.

Without that it's just hunting weird ass animals, which has its appeal, but the cooking part ties the world in so much better.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree here, I found the whole cooking part ridiculous and contrived. The concept behind them aren't even that interesting or make any sense.
The whole tourney was looking to be mighty boring even with Tengu's appearance.
The war taking place at the same time and shit finally hitting the fan is actually something good.

Naruto is a strange case, the plot seems to take place one continent with a civilization more than capable to explore the rest of the world with ninja magic. So unless the rest of the world is an apocalyptic wasteland, it feels underdeveloped. One thing I did enjoy about this Shinobi war before becoming this clusterfuck ever since Madara entered the fray is getting bits of world building from other villages from the fallen Shinobi. Kishi made his manga too Konoha centric.

I completely agree with his. I thought it was pretty interesting, when Team 7 visited other villages for missions and wish Kishi continued with that route. Make the ninjas what they are, mercenaries, and Naruto could've gained a reputation along the way.

dramatis

I wonder Toriko's perceived lack of success has something to do with the fact that it doesn't adhere to "stuff that sells" like cute character designs, minimal (if any?) fanservice, no love interests, etc etc.

Even the typical "I protect you" trope are said between two guys, not one guy to a girl. Hmm, just a random thought.
I don't think the lack of the stuff you listed has to do with Toriko not being able to sell gangbusters. It still sells well, just not at big 3 level.

If you look at Reborn, Gintama, and Kuroko, you can see what keeps Toriko from rising past half million sales...is probably the lack of fujoshi female interest. I haven't read Medaka fully, but judging by posts around here the manga has love interests, fanservice, and cute character designs, but sales-wise it didn't even get an anime spike.

A survey that some Japanese company (site?) did a while back of the male-female ratios of people buying the most recent volumes of manga running in WSJ:
Five out of the six series with higher percentage of female purchasers have, at some point, sold more than 500k (Reborn, Gintama, and Kuroko are there), whereas on the side with higher percentage of male purchasers, only Naruto sold more than 500k (maybe Kochikame actually sold more back in the day, who knows). Toriko is the one with 62.7% of sales coming from males.

It's not so much that the manga should be more appealing to girls than guys but rather that those manga has something that attract more of both audiences, leading to a wider audience and a more balanced gender ratio.

But I haven't read any Toriko, so I have no idea why girls aren't interested.

Antiwhippy

I can see why. The character are as ugly as sin, plus there's really no romance, other than komatsu's bromance with everyone.

Ok i guess i'm the only one who likes Toriko's chara design
in fact i liked a lot the last coloured page

Character design wise, I like Komatsu, his friend Take-chan (but hes not been in the anime for months now or something?, wonder if it will return to him since he was captured), StarJun (unveiled), Coco, Sunny, Takimaru, Teppei, and Tom.

Kurita

I take Toriko over Naruto any day.
I think he has one of the most stupid looking outfit ever. Like he's going snowboarding or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom