• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brat nah, victim of village sanctioned child abuse, yes.

God no, they would have sasuke'd him.

This pisses me off. I hate that this has become a common thing in the Naruto fandom.

There was never an implication that the village abused Naruto. Ignored him and talked bad about him sure, but physical abuse? NO!

It makes me angry that people use the ignoring of Naruto by villagers as justification that Naruto was abused by the village.

You want abused? Look at Gaara, thats a real abused kid right there.

Anyways I forgot to mention what I thought of One Piece this week

One Piece

Ehh not all that interesting. I would be impressed by the punch if Luffy's Emperor's Haki making people faint wasn't shown. Bellamy losing was a nice part though and the barrier fruit makes for some fun fights in the future against Luffy. Surprised that Luffy cheered for Bellamy though. Want some more Law in the future chapters though.

GManDH

One Piece
I dont know if its just me but i LOVE the reveal of a new fruit especially since most of these fruits dont make sense till you see them in action.

Reknoc

This pisses me off. I hate that this has become a common thing in the Naruto fandom.

There was never an implication that the village abused Naruto. Ignored him and talked bad about him sure, but physical abuse? NO!

It makes me angry that people use the ignoring of Naruto by villagers as justification that Naruto was abused by the village.

Mental abuse is still abuse

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I haven't read everything by him yet, but I would put it up there with Message to Adolf and to lesser degree Apollo's Song as one of his best manga. It will probably end up being better than Adolf if it keeps the same quality consistently till the end.

Speaking of Tezuka I picked up Book of Human Insects and Barbara today. Gonna see how well they compare to his other stuff.

Huh, I really did like Message to Adolf, so I'll give phoenix a look.

dumbyugi

Oricon Weekly Manga Sales May 6th ~ May 12th

01. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu #4 (132,529 / 473,936)
02. Kuroko no Basket #22 (130,454 / 537,199)
03. Toriko #24 (96,868 / 311,311)
04. Gintama #49 (83,176 / 281,149)
05. Shingeki no Kyojin #10 (68,054 / 796,249)
06. Btooom! #11 (60,548)
07. Shingeki no Kyojin #3 (59,975 / 1,237,352)
08. Ane no Kekkon #5 (59,486)
09. Shingeki no Kyojin #2 (58,788 / 1,282,814)
10. Shingeki no Kyojin #4 (58,564 / 1,112,865)
11. Shingeki no Kyojin #5 (58,353 / 1,068,075)
12. Haikyuu!! #6 (58,168 / 207,150)
13. Shingeki no Kyojin #6 (58,019 / 1,022,344)
14. Shingeki no Kyojin #8 (57,629 / 909,462)
15. Shingeki no Kyojin #7 (57,183 / 938,847)
16. Shingeki no Kyojin #1 (56,125 / 1,316,496)
17. Shingeki no Kyojin #9 (55,231 / 872,744)
18. Beelzebub #21 (53,832 / 158,335)
19. Shaman King Fowers #3 (52,669)
20. Aoharide #7 (46,111 / 409,184)
21. Amanchu! #6 (45,292)
22. Yowamushi Pedal #28 (41,272)
23. Vampire Knight #18 (38,981 / 99,701)
24. Vagabond #35 (34,484 / 398,504)
25. 87 Clockers #3 (34,121)
26. Kangoku Gakuen #8 (32,581 / 80,265)
27. Owari no Seraph #2 (31,737 / 91,095)
28. Witchcraft Works #5 (31,678)
29. Biohazard~Marhawa Desire~ #4 (30,757)
30. Ohkiku Furikabutte #21 (30,254 / 336,029)
31. Saiki Kusuo no Sainan #4 (29,761 / 89,073)
32. Sakamoto Desuga? #1 (25,825 / 586,324)
33. Arakawa Under the Bridge #13 (24,908 / 161,350)
34. Trinity Seven 7-nin no Mahoutsukai #6 (24,553)
35. Clover #31 (23,082)
36. Gin no Saji #7 (22,822 / 568,950)
37. Fairy Tail #37 (22,626 / 474,717)
38. Miseinen Dakedo Kodomo ja Nai! #1 (22,553 / 114,756)
39. Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai。#3 (22,546 / 61,378)
40. Giant Killing #27 (22,134 / 266,153)
41. Meitantei Conan #79 (21,522 / 480,672)
42. Ousama Game Shuukyoku #2 (20,571)
43. Psychometrer #9 (19,588 / 52,585)
44. One Piece #69 (18,423 / 2,932,188)
45. Shin Sekai Yori #3 (18,116)
46. Naruto #64 (17,928 / 1,012,215)
47. Saki #11 (17,441 / 215,135)
48. Black Bird #18 (17,234 / 132,116)
49. Koi to Gunkan #4 (16,940 / 16,940)
50. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu #3 (16,576 / 644,362)

31. Saiki Kusuo no Sainan #4 (29,761 / 89,073)

44. One Piece #69 (18,423 / 2,932,188)

46. Naruto #64 (17,928 / 1,012,215)
50. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu #3 (16,576 / 644,362)

Poor Toriko still struggling to even try to overtake even an old volume of assassination classroom...

Anyway, I thought Kusuo was doing a bit better, I hope it wont be on the chopping block as it enters into its second year :/ I would love an anime out of it even if Im one of the only people out of JPN that loves it to death

survivor

Banned
Magi's anime boost was nowhere as good as Titan's right? I think it only got some 30k boost across the volumes for few weeks then it disappeared.

dumbyugi

Poor Toriko still struggling to even try to overtake even an old volume of assassination classroom...

Anyway, I thought Kusuo was doing a bit better, I hope it wont be on the chopping block as it enters into its second year :/ I would love an anime out of it even if Im one of the only people out of JPN that loves it to death

Kusou is one of Jumps best selling gag manga ever so I wouldn't really worry.

WitchCraft Works 22

I really liked that look into the memories. I'm already looking forward to the next chapter. And I just realized 21 isn't out yet. Oh well.

Village

One Piece

Ehh not all that interesting. I would be impressed by the punch if Luffy's Emperor's Haki making people faint wasn't shown. Bellamy losing was a nice part though and the barrier fruit makes for some fun fights in the future against Luffy. Surprised that Luffy cheered for Bellamy though. Want some more Law in the future chapters though.

You mean the social ostracism, people calling him a demon all the time.

" oh hey kid dont hang out with him, he is a demon child"

you do not have to be hit to be abused. Along with that, it they tough their children the same way. Some of the shit sakura used to say made went to punch her square in her jaw. The horrible things she got away with... at first, it was later rectifed. Those chapters got me to clap.

dramatis

Magi's anime boost was nowhere as good as Titan's right? I think it only got some 30k boost across the volumes for few weeks then it disappeared.
Magi Vol 1 charted for about 7 weeks post anime start and received about 150k total additional sales. Same goes for volume 2 and so on (lesser numbers, but roughly around 100k-150k extra).

Of course the boost isn't as good as Titan's, but it seems decent.

Village

The title of the latest Naruto chapters is "What can fill a hole"....

I just had a thought that started as a sex joke and ended with baby boomers.

Would you like to hear it

To bad you are reading.

You know after all this , when they win. They are going to go home, and celebrate , the old fashioned way. The really old fashioned way. Will there be a boom in ninja births after all this stuff is done.

You mean the social ostracism, people calling him a demon all the time.

" oh hey kid dont hang out with him, he is a demon child"

you do not have to be hit to be abused. Along with that, it they tough their children the same way. Some of the shit sakura used to say made went to punch her square in her jaw. The horrible things she got away with... at first, it was later rectifed. Those chapters got me to clap.

Yeah but that doesn't mean he was physically abused which is what too many people in the fandom love to imply and my real problem when people say Naruto was abused.

I'm all for the sympathy for the hero if its deserved but not when its done the way it was in Naruto.

I argue that Chopper had a harder time than Naruto. Or Gaara for that matter in the series.

While the village did make his life miserable emotionally he had people he could count on and childhood friends. Sandaime, Choji, Shikamaru and Kiba. The fact that he wasted his time being an attention whore/annoyance instead of making more friends, changing the minds of the villagers or improving his skills led to the canon Naruto. Then plot happened to make said friends, change village mind and improved skills.

Village

Yeah but that doesn't mean he was physically abused which is what too many people in the fandom love to imply and my real problem when people say Naruto was abused.

I'm all for the sympathy for the hero if its deserved but not when its done the way it was in Naruto.

I argue that Chopper had a harder time than Naruto. Or Gaara for that matter in the series.

While the village did make his life miserable emotionally he had people he could count on and childhood friends. Sandaime, Choji, Shikamaru and Kiba. The fact that he wasted his time being an attention whore/annoyance instead of making more friends, changing the minds of the villagers or improving his skills led to the canon Naruto. Then plot happened to make said friends, change village mind and improved skills.

1) they never really addressed Naruto having friends when he was small

2) If you treat a child like shit and isolate him. How they hell do you think he is going to act.

this is the same as

" why is sasuke so sad and emo all the time"

Why do you think he is?

People don't just magically get over shit. Also people can also have issues and have friends. These are not exclusive, Naruto was a child, please stop analyzing him like an adult.

He should make more friends? When everyone you know see shows that they think you are a worthless piece of shit, its hard to devlop attachments. The fact that he did was amazing in itself.

Verelios

02. Kuroko no Basket #22 (130,454 / 537,199)
04. Gintama #49 (83,176 / 281,149)
05. Shingeki no Kyojin #10 (68,054 / 796,249)
06. Btooom! #11 (60,548)
07. Shingeki no Kyojin #3 (59,975 / 1,237,352)
08. Ane no Kekkon #5 (59,486)
09. Shingeki no Kyojin #2 (58,788 / 1,282,814)
10. Shingeki no Kyojin #4 (58,564 / 1,112,865)
11. Shingeki no Kyojin #5 (58,353 / 1,068,075)
13. Shingeki no Kyojin #6 (58,019 / 1,022,344)
14. Shingeki no Kyojin #8 (57,629 / 909,462)
15. Shingeki no Kyojin #7 (57,183 / 938,847)
16. Shingeki no Kyojin #1 (56,125 / 1,316,496)
17. Shingeki no Kyojin #9 (55,231 / 872,744)
18. Beelzebub #21 (53,832 / 158,335)
19. Shaman King Fowers #3 (52,669)

Damn, Shingeki is absolutely wrecking sales. Good to see too.

One Piece Chapter 709: Felt good to know Bartolemu's fruit power. A barrier barrier fruit, if it's omni-directional then I can see why he's such a big shot rookie. I want to say he's going to be taken out by Luffy in an awesome fashion, but I'm not so sure it'll play out like that. Who knows?

Eyeshield 21 Chapters 4 - 7
tumblr_mmvf218W9r1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Whoever is the one that designed the characters has done a really good job. Just seven chapters in and already so many awesome characters, Sena, Hiruma, Sakuraba, and even Shin Seijirou. Sakuraba must return hopefully as his brief appearance was fun and great design. Hiruma is always so hilarious and even quite inspiring to Sena who always seems to enjoy it. Sena Hiruma antics keep it way fun and hilarious. And Kurita there, great skills on field. The abundance of great characters so early is giving me the same good feelings that Haikyuu!, Oofuri.

Football is quite exciting hear, teamwork is well and good and the visuals for Sena's vision of his path and even the greatly exaggerated faces of opponents, combined with his personality. led me to stare quite well into the pages and even reread it twice already.

Verelios

If you're already enjoying Eyeshield now, then just wait. Later volumes become so much better, especially with the arrival of some choice competitors.

Great characterization for every (well, most) teammate, and easily distinguishable characters. I think my second favorite after Sena is Jumonji actually, and that's freaking amazing. He's like a second string character.

Erigu

Does everyone even know that Minato is Naruto's dad? I got the impression that a lot of the higher ups did, but that it wasn't a generally known fact.
For what it's worth (not much), Sakura apparently knew already, in the recent movie.

Do you really think the people of the Leaf would've treated him like an outcast if they had known that he's the son of the 4th hokage?
That's just one of the many things about that element that make no sense whatsoever.
"We had to hide your origins from everybody because it's dangerous being the son of Hokage! Konohamaru and Tsunade? Er... They're grandchildren, so that's fine."
"Also, Jinchûriki are hated, so we had to hide that, too. But then, all the adults seem to know anyway. Still, we won't tell them (nor you, for that matter) that you're Minato's son."
"Oh, and we gave you your mother's name. It's not like the Uzumaki clan should be fairly well-known (their emblem is on all uniforms, Hashirama and Minato's wives were both Uzumaki) and the fact they're pretty much extinct would make it very easy for people to connect the dots or anything!"

It makes me wonder since all we did was hear how Jinchuriki are hated but the ones before Naruto were both wives of the Hokage.
Were they hated too?
I seem to remember the fact they were Jinchûriki was kept a secret.

Naruto has the power to sense good and evil using the Nine-Tails chakra, remember?
Evil, yes, but I don't remember anything about good.

Hello ManGAF. I'm here on a cultural exchange mission. I would like to introduce you guys to something I think many of you would really enjoy: Ultimate Spider-Man. Yes, it is a western comic but if there is any western comic that can convince you that western comics aren't all teh suck it's this one.

I know what you're thinking. In western comics there's too much inconsistency, too many different writers working on the same stories. Too much baggage from old stories. It's too hard to keep track of all the crossover shit, too hard to piece together different sources.

Ultimate Spider-Man solves all that. The whole series is done by just one very talented writer, Brian Bendis. There's no baggage because the series kicks off a brand new universe; the more grounded Ultimate Marvel Universe which has been a big source of inspiration for the films. You don't need to read any crossover shit, although I will recommend two miniseries events. It's all one steady and uninterrupted run.

This series has everything. An extremely likable cast from top to bottom. Awesome dialog. Great personal drama. School setting. A waifu harem that grows over time. Actual well written romance. Unpredictable twists. Tons of action. You will care about these characters. There's even a fucking time skip.

It's technically finished. The Peter Parker saga has 160 issues and 6 epilogue issues. With the crossover stories I recommend it's about 180 issues. These are monthly and each issue is roughly comparable to a monthly manga chapter in length. Altogether it can be taken as one complete story, although after that Miles Morales takes over as Spider-Man in the ongoing Ultimate Comics Spider-Man series.

You can find a complete list of solo Ultimate Spider-Man story arcs here, but some of the titles are spoilers so I would suggest that you just follow my spoiler free reading order made just for you:

Reading Order said:
Ultimate Spider-Man 1-28
Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special
Ultimate Spider-Man 29-45
Ultimate Spider-Man 1/2
Ultimate Spider-Man 46
Ultimate Six
Ultimate Spider-Man 47-85
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 1
Ultimate Spider-Man 86-105
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 2
Ultimate Spider-Man 106-128
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 3
Ultimate Spider-Man 129-133
Ultimate Spider-Man Requiem 1-2
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 1-8
Ultimate Enemy
Ultimate Mystery
Ultimate Doom
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 9-15
Ultimate Spider-Man 150-160
Ultimate Fallout
These are all available in volume collections, and...elsewhere, most of it in a single batch. You might have to hunt down some of the crossover stories separately but they're not hard to find.

Why am I bringing this here? Because it's great and you'll like it. Also because western comics don't have any representation in Community and their monthly discussion threads just ain't the same. I fucking promise you that this series is more fucking enjoyable than most of the fucking shit that runs in shonen magazines these days. I hope you give it a shot.

Village

This. You can have bad art but can be engaged if the story is well-written *points to early JoJo*

No no. The dude is really good. He has good art. Have you seen some the sketches he does for the chapter covers. Its fucking fantastic. He should draw ( like that) more.4

That is my issue. Dude is great at bodies. He may need some background help though, I just do not think he likes drawing them.

Aku no Hana 45

I can't believe that worked. I actually felt bad for Kouji there. But the last page with Tokiwa and Kasuga was adorable. Now bring back Nakamura! Suffering for the Suffering God!

That's just one of the many things about that element that make no sense whatsoever.
"We had to hide your origins from everybody because it's dangerous being the son of Hokage! Konohamaru and Tsunade? Er... They're grandchildren, so that's fine."
"Also, Jinchûriki are hated, so we had to hide that, too. But then, all the adults seem to know anyway. Still, we won't tell them (nor you, for that matter) that you're Minato's son."
"Oh, and we gave you your mother's name. It's not like the Uzumaki clan should be fairly well-known (their emblem is on all uniforms, Hashirama and Minato's wives were both Uzumaki) and the fact they're pretty much extinct would make it very easy for people to connect the dots or anything!"

The whole thing made the 3rd Hokage look like a grade A asshole, which is unfortunate since I thought he was alright.

Luckily Iruka was there to salvage the whole thing.

1) they never really addressed Naruto having friends when he was small

2) If you treat a child like shit and isolate him. How they hell do you think he is going to act.

this is the same as

" why is sasuke so sad and emo all the time"

Why do you think he is?

People don't just magically get over shit. Also people can also have issues and have friends. These are not exclusive, Naruto was a child, please stop analyzing him like an adult.

He should make more friends? When everyone you know see shows that they think you are a worthless piece of shit, its hard to devlop attachments. The fact that he did was amazing in itself.

1) Of course they didn't go into Naruto past and possible childhood friends. That would mean actually developing a child Naruto who isn't important to the main plot and implying he had friends at young age. Therefore getting rid of sympathy for his lonliness and losing the appeal of a underdog hated MC who is trying to win over his village.

I simply dislike the fact that the fandom is twisting that into something its not.

2) If you isolate a child and treat him like shit usually the child ends up becoming a product of his treatment. Someone with a lot of anger and/or a sociopath. Not a happy go lucky fool who is starved for attention. Its like the kick the dog act where the dog keeps coming back to the kicker. A normal dog would have stopped and started barking at the kicker rather than keep going back for a kick.

Sasuke was sad and emo all the time because he lost his family and was forced to watch them get killed over 3 days time over and over again.

Still makes me laugh how Kishi got away with the explanation and how Sasuke wasn't even more fucked up in the beginning of the manga.

What? Why would I treat Naruto like an adult? A kid his age should be out having fun with friends and doing Ninja crap to become Genin. Or if he was super serious/emo like Sasuke, training all day. Instead he spends his time pranking and calling for attention. "I will be Hokage! Believe it! People will have to respect me if I become Hokage!"

You are generalizing that everyone Naruto knows treats him like shit. Its mainly one of Kishi's problem at the beginning to show that a large number of villagers that hated Naruto without any of his supporters which while not as many, still existed.

Naruto's actions didn't help his cause.

All in all I blame Kishi for this.

BTW I find it ironic that 666 Satan written by Kishi's brother deals with the same basic story of a hated MC who is the vessel of Satan.

Uh, neglect is a form of abuse.

I totally agree that neglect is a form of abuse. But how is a part of the village ignoring Naruto neglect?

Question. Is your entire neighborhood your family and friends? Is your city? Nope, if Minato and Kushina were alive and neglected Naruto then yes.

If 1000 to 10,000 strangers didn't care for you, you would still be fine as long as you had the basic needs (water shelter, food) and a couple of people you can count on. Sure life is harder and it hurts when said strangers talk behind your back and call you demon. But you can live past that.

My problem is that the fandom makes it sound like Naruto has survived hell on earth and that the ignorance of the village was killing Naruto or something. Switch Naruto with Gaara and I can agree with that.

vareon

I back up the USM recommendation. It's perfect for those who wanted to get into US comics without the facing intimidating continuity problems.

iavi

Can you even hit a bigger grand slam with your debut than Isayama did with Shingeki? sales chart slaying, award winning manga, that gets an anime adaptation that's poised to chart super high on the sales charts.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No no. The dude is really good. He has good art. Have you seen some the sketches he does for the chapter covers. Its fucking fantastic. He should draw ( like that) more.4

That is my issue. Dude is great at bodies. He may need some background help though, I just do not think he likes drawing them.

You're right that he can draw when he wants to, the thing is that at times his art is amazingly lazy. People complain about scribbles for a reason. Team him up with Murata and you'd have the manga of the forever. He could take his time writing it and god mode that while Murata god modes the art.

Can you even hit a bigger grand slam with your debut than Isayama did with Shingeki? sales chart slaying, award winning manga, that gets an anime adaptation that's poised to chart super high on the sales charts.

Become Toriyama and make DBZ. That or be Togashi and get a contract that allows you to take over a years break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom